Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, seems a bit too masturbatory to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Six or seven years ago we had someone call up customer service where I worked to unsubscribe from the text messages. The rep tried to explain that you just reply STOP, but this lady still had a pay-per-text plan and refused to spend the dime on sending the stop message. So instead she sat on the phone while the rep found a random person from the tech department (hi there) who then got to figure out how to manually do the database update to unsubscribe her.

An hour of three people's time vs. ten cents.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can admire that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

That's exactly what Ron Jeremy said about it.

I mean, he's a rapist piece of poo poo as well, but it is what he said.

Oof. I guess, no, I did not remember that correctly.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Six or seven years ago we had someone call up customer service where I worked to unsubscribe from the text messages. The rep tried to explain that you just reply STOP, but this lady still had a pay-per-text plan and refused to spend the dime on sending the stop message. So instead she sat on the phone while the rep found a random person from the tech department (hi there) who then got to figure out how to manually do the database update to unsubscribe her.

boss makes a dollar, she pays a dime, that's why i unsubscribe on company time

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

This lady rules

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

You fool, that dog's had taco bell!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Powered Descent posted:

That woman is a hero

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cocaine Bear posted:

That woman is a hero

Imagine if thousands followed her example.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can admire that.

Stexils posted:

boss makes a dollar, she pays a dime, that's why i unsubscribe on company time

:emptyquote:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Data Graham posted:

Imagine if thousands followed her example.

Tech support people might actually have to learn how to do things they should know how to do already immediately that aren't in their script.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Tech support people might actually have to learn how to do things they should know how to do already immediately that aren't in their script.

You're assuming that thing they should know how to do isn't actually several hours of research to figure out how the gently caress the system does that anyway. That's outside the skillset of tech support. If it's not in their script they don't know how to do it, and if they did know how then they'd be engineers and not tech support.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Oct 6, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There should at least be choose your own adventure style scripts. Engineers should be the ones writing these scripts and should include contingencies for known issues that aren't just the most common issues.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, seems a bit too masturbatory to be fun.

look at this loser who thinks masturbating isn't fun

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

John Lee posted:

look at this loser who thinks masturbating isn't fun

Look at this loser who isn’t just going through the motions after 30 years and all joy has gone from the experience.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

chglcu posted:

Look at this loser who isn’t just going through the motions after 30 years and all joy has gone from the experience.

Look at this loser who doesn't know about autoerotic asphyxiation

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Look at this loser who doesn't know about autoerotic asphyxiation

oh so telling people to kill themselves is ok now???

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dying for the perfect nut means a life well spent

Join me on my mountain top for more sage wisdom

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh so you're gonna tell me I was right when I was like eight and assumed that you would die if you ever took A Drug, why would anyone ever do it then

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Stexils posted:

oh so telling people to kill themselves is ok now???

Mr Carradine it’s an honor

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

took a while before I could see the loop point

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Zetsubou-san posted:

loop point?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DarkDobe posted:

loop point?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Regarde Aduck posted:

loop point?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

There should at least be choose your own adventure style scripts. Engineers should be the ones writing these scripts and should include contingencies for known issues that aren't just the most common issues.

Engineers hate writing things down.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

So do I bring my own belt...?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

So this is the hill you're going to die on?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You’ve clearly never seen an engineer try to be a technical writer. I’ve worked deep in the guts of major telecoms helping them move apps and systems to the cloud. Think of the most silo’d off tribalistic culture of confusion and chaos that you can and multiply it by tenured academia levels of “I’m literally the only person that understands this thing and I know you can’t fire me” and you start to have in inkling of the utter screaming void of chaos that is IT for the major telecoms.

poo poo sent me to the hospital and nearly got me a divorce.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I always figured this was how it was supposed to be, but doesn't tend to work out in practise. As far as I understand, that's more or less what they have, it's just that it's not necessarily going to be extensive enough for the real world. But it's surely the genesis of the whole "have you tried turning it off and on again" thing as a first answer.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Oct 6, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I guess it would be easier to write “works on my machine” in a central place than have to repeat it as nauseam.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phy posted:

Do I remember correctly that some goon managed to pull that off, and went on record as saying its far more like sucking a dick than like getting your dick sucked

based on some videos I have found on the internet regarding that subject, it does not actually appear anyone enjoys doing it. The guys who figure out how to rear end gently caress themselves are the ones enjoying their perversion

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Yeah it's really really uncomfortable unless you've just got a long hog

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sucking your own dick is awesome if you enjoy sucking dick

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sucking your own dick is awesome if you enjoy sucking dick

Infinite positive feedback loop

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Brawnfire posted:

He's got wolfman's nards!!!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Anime Liker has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Oct 6, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Yeah it's really really uncomfortable unless you've just got a long hog