Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
New Agnes has the white apron, seems more servile, which is a fun contrast to her untethered mystic powers. The more horror she takes the more the ancient queen comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Man like 90% of that new art sucks in comparison to the old. By like, a lot.

It makes me wonder if most of the new expansion art could be way better and that Asmodee has forced FFG to be even cheaper on art, or if the Revised set just had a crappy art director?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I like the new art and maybe it’s just taste.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think they're ok and it's clear they were mostly trying to include more of the core set investigators in some of the core set cards. My main complaint is that a lot of them are kind of dark and muddy compared to their original counterparts. Working a Hunch is a good example.

I think the only card I'd really want out of all of them is First Aid since I've had friends cover up the original art when they play it because it's a bit much.

Maybe Guard Dog, too.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Apparently four encounter cards also have new art :

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wonder if Lita is still hidden away.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jeeves posted:

I wonder if Lita is still hidden away.

They actually packaged the respective scenario cards for the three NotZ scenarios into three separate plastic packages so Lita is bundled together with the cards for The Gathering instead of being apart from them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Amanda in Return to TFA and she is crazy. I didn't realize how lucky I was to get Indebted as my weakness until I started playing. I've got more cash than I can use, and I'm drawing and not wearing out my sleeves from shuffling like every other seeker I've ever played.

I'm playing her paired with Finn, and he's my first real rogue (Tony doesn't count) so he's not doing much... thankfully Amanda is picking up the slack.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Kalko posted:

It's mostly the lack of appropriate narrative breaks in the campaign that make the standalones fit poorly. I was trying to think of the most nonsensical place to embark upon a standalone and I think it would have to be in TFA after Heart of the Elders, which ends with you getting mind-swapped with a Yithian.

On the contrary, that might be the most logical place in any campaign for you to ditch your mission and go do something unrelated in another country if you assume you are playing the Yithian.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I've just started The Path to Carcosa and it really seems like all of the creepy supernatural events are all in the investigators' heads? Since everything goes back to normal after a mission and there doesn't seem to be any evidence that anything creepy happened? Seeing the second act of "The King in Yellow" is said to drive one to insanity, and the investigators all saw the second act. I just finished the second scenario and one of the people at the party turned all evil and turned into an enemy, so Zoey barbecued them with the flamethrower. I guess I just straight up murdered that person? I supposed I could have just evaded them, but they had hunter and 4 evade, so that's pretty difficult to do. I seem to keep accumulating doubt only and not conviction, which seems like a very bad thing to be accumulating in a Cthulu mythos game, unless I am correct that none of the events in the story are canonically happening and also "doubt" represents disbelief that they are happening? It's mean-spirited that the game second-guesses your choices after missions no matter what choice you choose, but I guess it's thematic. Dianne Devine seems like she doesn't do much of anything.

As for The Stranger, I'm pretty sure I've figured out his real identity:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

There was a recent discussion in this thread about that and it made me realize I somehow missed quite a lot of what was going on in the narrative. But yeah, the whole 'is this really happening?' thing is deliberate.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You literally chart doubt and conviction. It’s not subtext, it’s text.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Spoken like a real Debbie Doubter.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Is that why going to the police gives you more conviction? Because the police convict people of crimes?

Here are the decks I am using, if that is of interest to anyone. I never really know what I'm doing, deckbuilding-wise.

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/1677251
https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/1677298

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nebrilos posted:

Is that why going to the police gives you more conviction? Because the police convict people of crimes?

Serious answer? You get Conviction for going to the police because you think it actually happened and so you're trying to do something about it. That's what Conviction measures, how much you actually truly believe what you're seeing is what's going on.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Am sitting in a weird place with AH:LCG. I was the designated collector of the stuff for our game group of 3 people at work. We'd meet every 2-4 weeks on site for pizza and a scenario. We got through NotZ to bring our 3rd up to speed, then hit Dunwich and a bunch of standalones. Right before covid shut our workplace down, we finished Guardians of the Abyss, which is indeed frustratingly tough.

I kept on collecting and have all the current content except for the promo books, and the Roland parallel 'By the Book' (and Labyrinths of course). I don't expect we'll be face to face for many moons yet and I still haven't run any campaign content past Dunwich.

Assuming I m no longer keeping spoiler-free for my old group, should I play Carcosa myself with 2 investigators? Is it better to find some kind of on line group of 3+ to go through it?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Definitely play the wonderfully done module on TTS. I still collect everything because this is one of my favorite games but I have no idea when I'll play it in person again.

Spoilers don't matter much. The game is highly replayable and I don't understand the subset of players that play through each campaign only once.

I've played Carcosa two handed and true solo. Both work, depending on your comfort with the system.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 4, 2021

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Without spoilers scenario 4 and 8 of Path to Carcosa are very hard true solo. Definitely doable but you might try two-handed first to smooth things over a bit.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
The straitjacket encounter card is truly backbreaking. 2 actions to get rid of it, 1+ actions and 4+ resources to replay whatever you lost. If it happens to a guardian, when there are enemies around, you are boned. How are you supposed to deal with it?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Don't discard it. Don't play things it'll discard. You need to commit cards during that scenario instead of relying on hand assets.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Definitely play the wonderfully done module on TTS. I still collect everything because this is one of my favorite games but I have no idea when I'll play it in person again.

Spoilers don't matter much. The game is highly replayable and I don't understand the subset of players that play through each campaign only once.

I've played Carcosa two handed and true solo. Both work, depending on your comfort with the system.
As long as I don't have to take a cheesed out Seeker & Guardian pair to do it. I like Mystic & Rogue, and I cannot lie.
Fan-created scenarios are fun too.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

The straitjacket encounter card is truly backbreaking. 2 actions to get rid of it, 1+ actions and 4+ resources to replay whatever you lost. If it happens to a guardian, when there are enemies around, you are boned. How are you supposed to deal with it?

Spells, events, allies, Jack's whip.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Spells, events, allies, Jack's whip.

Did they really name an investigator after a cartoon mouse? Also, I don't see how the whip helps, since you need to escape the straitjacket in order to play it

I've been trying to avoid killing the people associated with the play production because I'm uncomfortable with the whole murder thing, but it makes scenarios a lot more difficult. Maybe I'm supposed to just kill them all?

... are we still watching the play? Is this the second act?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Nebrilos posted:

I've been trying to avoid killing the people associated with the play production because I'm uncomfortable with the whole murder thing, but it makes scenarios a lot more difficult. Maybe I'm supposed to just kill them all?

:hmmyes:

Mark 1 Doubt in your campaign log for this post.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

Did they really name an investigator after a cartoon mouse? Also, I don't see how the whip helps, since you need to escape the straitjacket in order to play it

The whip is slotless, and the character was for the original COC game so he was probably made in the 80s, rescue rangers debuted 88-89. So who knows?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

I tried this out a while ago and I was impressed by how thorough it was but aside from one-click shuffling and scenario setup I found just about every card interaction kind of frustrating compared to just playing with the physical version and like, reaching over and touching a card.

Also, one thing I find, especially playing two-handed, is that the game is so dense with information that even if you're very familiar with all of the cards you still need to study the board a lot of the time to plan your turns, and it's impossible to take in the entire board in TTS without constantly scrolling and zooming and hovering over stuff.

I can understand how it's a great option if you want to play multiplayer but can't get people in the same room, but if I'm playing by myself I'll pick the physical game 100% of the time.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
From my one playthrough of Path to Carcosa I thought it was all a dream. Basically you watched act 2 (or act 3? whatever is unwatchable lol) and imagined everything that happened. If you went negative sanity in the last mission of the campaign, you start up another production of the King in Yellow while if you survived without going insane, you're just luckier and walk out of the theater after a brief encounter with the king in yellow.

I also have to say Stubborn Detective is the best weakness in the game, it's always hilarious to have him chase you beyond space and time and sanity.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 6, 2021

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

The whip is slotless

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 6, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Weird. Whoever put it on TTS didn’t include that

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Kalko posted:

I tried this out a while ago and I was impressed by how thorough it was but aside from one-click shuffling and scenario setup I found just about every card interaction kind of frustrating compared to just playing with the physical version and like, reaching over and touching a card.

Also, one thing I find, especially playing two-handed, is that the game is so dense with information that even if you're very familiar with all of the cards you still need to study the board a lot of the time to plan your turns, and it's impossible to take in the entire board in TTS without constantly scrolling and zooming and hovering over stuff.

I can understand how it's a great option if you want to play multiplayer but can't get people in the same room, but if I'm playing by myself I'll pick the physical game 100% of the time.

Just in case you're not aware, by default you can hold Alt while hovering over something to bring up an image of the card/token/whatever you're hovering over, which you can then mouse-wheel zoom-in-and-out independent from the board. Alt+Shift while hovering will let you look at the underside of something (and put an indicator on whatever you're looking at to show you'd viewed the underside in games where it matters).

You might already be doing that but it makes playing anything on TTS way easier once you know you don't have to constantly change your camera position just to read a card.

I've played and taught a lot of Arkham and Gloomhaven on TTS, and before I play with anyone I always go through a TTS 101 Class to make sure everyone has a handle on it so they can focus on enjoying the game more than fighting against TTS's jankiness. There's some stuff that isn't intuitive or is easily forgotten from the in-game tutorial that can make your play sessions way more fun.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I'd already played a couple of other games on TTS so I was somewhat familiar with the controls, it's just all the constant clicking and mouse moving and keypresses felt like so much busywork compared to handling the real cards. If I didn't have that real-life frame of reference I probably would have persevered with it but I bailed before finishing a single scenario.

I still think it's a great piece of work, I just prefer the physical game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

probably very late to the party but, having not kept up with the last cycle----how did people like Innsmouth? What's the fun/difficulty like in comparison to the last few cycles?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

probably very late to the party but, having not kept up with the last cycle----how did people like Innsmouth? What's the fun/difficulty like in comparison to the last few cycles?

It was my gaming group's favorite campaign since either Path to Carcosa or Return to the Forgotten Age (which is so much better than regular Forgotten Age). Maybe even our favorite campaign. It is really good, an enjoyable story, interesting campaign mechanics, some memorable and interesting scenarios, and without any obviously bad or poorly balanced duds.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s fine, you’re going to want movement and soak. If you have those you’ll survive, if you don’t you’ll have a bad time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was going to ask for spoiler-free tips for Innsmouth. I'm going to play two-handed. So far I know:

Arcane Research maybe not worth it;
Enemies do bad stuff on engagement, so evading isn't as good - basically the anti-TFA

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

It’s fine, you’re going to want movement and soak. If you have those you’ll survive, if you don’t you’ll have a bad time.

Movement tech is a huge deal, agreed. I was playing Silas with Track Shoes and Nimble and the absurd stuff I was able to do was beautiful. Moving five spaces as a single action can get things done.

edit:

LifeLynx posted:

I was going to ask for spoiler-free tips for Innsmouth. I'm going to play two-handed. So far I know:

Enemies do bad stuff on engagement, so evading isn't as good - basically the anti-TFA

Blackjack (2) is a really good weapon in this campaign, even more so if you combine it with Enchant Weapon and an offhand weapon to deal with enemies that engage you. You will not want to engage enemies prior to hitting them so every attack has higher risk. Bringing extra soak can help with this as well if you don't want to try the Blackjack.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 7, 2021

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
It occurs to me that there is a certain agenda card with this text on the back:

quote:

Each investigator takes 100 horror (cannot be prevented).

This is clearly supposed to just eliminate you and end the scenario if you run out of time. But it doesn't say "direct horror", so it made me think of these two cards: Enchanted Armor and Neither Rain nor Snow. If you were to cancel the effects of the failed Enchanted Armor skill test could you put 100 horror on it and thus survive? The agenda deck would be empty. Does the game just keep going? What if you forced the check to succeed instead with Father Mateo's gimmicks? Do you still survive then? In theory, one could pay for Enchanted Armor with In the Thick of It, to allow it to be taken in the first scenario. Stella Clark can't use Enchanted Armor? It's fine, we have Teamwork.

quote:

Enchanted Armor
Guardian
Asset. Body. Arcane

Ritual. Armor.
Cost: 1. XP: 2.
Test Icons:
Health: X. Sanity: X.

Play Enchanted Armor under the control of any investigator at your location.

Forced - After damage and/or horror is placed on Enchanted Armor: The owner of Enchanted Armor tests Willpower(X), where X is the total amount of damage and horror on it. If the test fails, discard Enchanted Armor and assign the damage and/or horror just placed on it elsewhere.

quote:

Neither Rain nor Snow
Survivor
Skill

Innate. Developed.
Test Icons: ???

Stella Clark deck only.

If this skill test fails, cancel all effects of the failed test.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Money talks could also make that work. Before the nerf to three aces Skids could get well over a hundred resources without even trying. I bet if you really focused and didn't use the taboo list it could happen.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I'd say that works. I'll run it past the rules gurus on the MB Discord though because it's a pretty cool hypothetical.

Regarding Innsmouth, I'd say it's the most creative and fun campaign overall (both mechanically and narratively) even if you may rate some individual scenarios from other campaigns higher. Return to TFA is still my favourite campaign, mostly for thematic reasons, and like that one its first scenario is quite difficult if you try to push for the best possible resolution, which you should to get that snowball rolling!

edit : the Discord pointed out you don't need Teamwork because you can just play NRNS on another investigator's test, and/or the Enchanted Armor can just be played under Stella's control and it's the owner that always does the test (and it can't be swapped with Teamwork anyway).

Kalko fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Rules question: Innsmouth Conspiracy scenario 6 Deep One Nursemaid has the text "draw the top card of the encounter deck. That card loses surge." How does this interact with cards like Riptide that say "if x, this gains surge. Otherwise, y"?

We played it as "nothing happens, no surge," because surge happens after resolving the card's revelation effect, so the "loses surge" effect should also apply then? And the phrasing of the ability seems to back that up - you draw the card first, and then in the next sentence, it loses surge. So, resolving the revelation effect makes it gain surge, then after resolving, the Nursemaid makes it lose surge. Not at all sure that interpretation is correct, though.

LifeLynx posted:

Despite evading being sometimes bad, there are reasons why you probably shouldn't take, for example, two investigators with 1 agility each (Leo Anderson and Norman Withers) like a friend and I are currently doing. It's manageable but there have been times when we've regretted it.
In some scenarios, including the first, you will find opportunities to experience flashbacks. These are generally very worth doing; if you have a choice between clearing off a location for a VP and doing an objective to get a flashback, do the flashback.