Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Bottom Up Top Down blinds with opaque and translucent sections are amazing and magical. Great for light control and privacy if you are in a packed neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Upgrade posted:

Oh my God you just push them up. I am so stupid

Hahaha this is amazing, I had the exact same revelation with my bay window's blinds

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

gp2k posted:

Spent about half an hour worrying that my cats wouldn't have enough birds to look at given how the windows are oriented. My partner said we could install a bird feeder and that seemed to calm me down.

Now I get to be that guy who yells at the squirrels who steal the seeds out of the bird feeder.

You could even put in two or three bird feeders.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Upgrade posted:

I mean it was probably three months into our new house when my wife mentioned that she wanted to replace the kitchen sink faucet with one that had a pullout sprayer.

I walked over and pulled out the sprayer.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I also spent two hours looking for the panel box and of course it’s outside because of a code change.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Upgrade posted:

Lol. I forgot to actually submit my post yesterday but I was going to ask if anybody considered they were just pull down blinds but got sidetracked and never hit submit.

We removed all the blinds when we moved into this house so we could paint. They were broken, mismatched and cheap so we never put them back up. We're going to go with the graber top down bottom up cellulose blinds. I think it's only going to cost $1000 for our house? Thankfully that's only 4 windows, but they're all pretty wide. The difficult part will be our siding glass door in the living room. We have a sliding glass door with two equally sized windows and it's probably 14' wide. I'm thinking of doing some roll down privacy screens for each of the three panels. I really don't want the long blinds you have to pull sideways like I had at my parents house.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Well, it was good for a laugh. They're pretty nice. From Levolor. I guess thats a good brand? I mean I'm never buying new blinds because blinds on any room but our bedroom are worthless, but I guess they'll sit in the up position for the next several years! They're wood.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also the previous owner left an enormous Persian rug and I have no idea what to do with it. It has no brand marks, is kind of faded, and is like, 15 x 12. Its got to weigh like a hundred pounds, its half an inch thick.

Is this worth anything? How the gently caress do you even appraise a rug?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Also the previous owner left an enormous Persian rug and I have no idea what to do with it. It has no brand marks, is kind of faded, and is like, 15 x 12.

Take pictures of both the top of it and the bottom. I can give you an idea if it's even worth getting a "rug guy" involved based on that.

Most rugs are not worth much of anything. And a rug they left probably fits that bill. You'd remember if you spent $4-10k on a 15x12 hand tied real deal turkish or pakistani rug and not leave it there.

Full disclosure: I like "oriental" rugs a lot and have my house filled with them. I do own one that is machine loomed and I love it, but it feels like cheating.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Upgrade posted:

Also the previous owner left an enormous Persian rug and I have no idea what to do with it. It has no brand marks, is kind of faded, and is like, 15 x 12. Its got to weigh like a hundred pounds, its half an inch thick.

Did they leave it on purpose? Because IIRC in most states you have to give them a chance to claim it if they left it behind on accident. Personal property that doesn't contractually convey isn't necessarily yours after closing just because the seller left it behind.

Might want to ask your realtor about it, or better yet your closing attorney if you used one.

Should probably do this before determining its value... don't want to find out it's worth a ton of money and then have it taken away from you. IMO better for it to disappear assuming it's worthless.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

DaveSauce posted:

Did they leave it on purpose? Because IIRC in most states you have to give them a chance to claim it if they left it behind on accident. Personal property that doesn't contractually convey isn't necessarily yours after closing just because the seller left it behind.

Might want to ask your realtor about it, or better yet your closing attorney if you used one.

Should probably do this before determining its value... don't want to find out it's worth a ton of money and then have it taken away from you. IMO better for it to disappear assuming it's worthless.

I assume they left it on purpose considering they also left a matching runner which you could throw into the back of a car, and there's nothing else in the place. I will email my closing attorney though.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Upgrade posted:

....can you post pics and precise measurements? If it is a good authentic rug that I like the design of, one thing you could do with it is send it to me.

I am extremely interested in a large authentic oriental rug (age doesn't matter, as long as it's the real deal and not some reproduction from India or something). 15 x 12 might be too big (living room and dining room are like 16 x 13 with tile hearths that I don't want to cover up).

There was a 9 x 12 (or so) Pakistani rug I saw that I reeeally liked at a Nordstrom home goods store that was in the process of being liquidated. The price tag was $24k. Probably could have haggled it down to below 20k but lol we were so house poor at the time and did not have that kind of money to spend on a loving rug but just look at this amazing rug that I still want:

As for your rug, depending on whether it's authentic or not, it could be worth anywhere between a decent amount and nothing. From what I gather from the interior design threads, oriental rugs that aren't that one super washed out Turkish variety or those heinous fake bleach splattereddistressed ones are not in particularly high demand.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

The price tag was $24k.

:catstare:

So obviously price scales nonlinearly with size but you're saying maybe I should move my 3x5 allegedly Persian rug that I bought in Islamabad, away from where my toddlers can destroy it...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

hand tied real deal turkish or pakistani rug and not leave it there.

Just out of curiosity do you have any suggestions or advice on this, apparently all the rugs coming out of Pakistan are from the Peshawar region

Weirdly I'm headed to turkey and Pakistan early next year, (no, really), so now apparently I need to get some rugs while I'm over there

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

....can you post pics and precise measurements? If it is a good authentic rug that I like the design of, one thing you could do with it is send it to me.

I am extremely interested in a large authentic oriental rug (age doesn't matter, as long as it's the real deal and not some reproduction from India or something). 15 x 12 might be too big (living room and dining room are like 16 x 13 with tile hearths that I don't want to cover up).

There was a 9 x 12 (or so) Pakistani rug I saw that I reeeally liked at a Nordstrom home goods store that was in the process of being liquidated. The price tag was $24k. Probably could have haggled it down to below 20k but lol we were so house poor at the time and did not have that kind of money to spend on a loving rug but just look at this amazing rug that I still want:

As for your rug, depending on whether it's authentic or not, it could be worth anywhere between a decent amount and nothing. From what I gather from the interior design threads, oriental rugs that aren't that one super washed out Turkish variety or those heinous fake bleach splattereddistressed ones are not in particularly high demand.

Not surprisingly at all, our tastes line up.

Look at this rug/cat:

This is the machine loomed one:

And my favorite, it's a test pattern of "what borders we can put on the rug we make for you" that my "rug guy" somehow found:

Hadlock posted:

Just out of curiosity do you have any suggestions or advice on this, apparently all the rugs coming out of Pakistan are from the Peshawar region

Weirdly I'm headed to turkey and Pakistan early next year, (no, really), so now apparently I need to get some rugs while I'm over there

Sorry, I don't know that specifically. I mostly buy used stuff. I just know what quality rugs look and feel like and goddamn I want to walk on them in bare feet.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Inner Light posted:

Gotta ask in light of recent times, how do cameras help in catching someone if they are wearing a mask and a full on crime outfit?

It wakes me up at night and I shoot them. If they break in while I’m not home and steal my lovely TV, meh, it’s just stuff. If it’s while I’m home they are probably there for violence since home invasions here are basically nonexistent.

It’s a fair question though. I’ve thought about making a raspberry pi IMSI catcher that would likely nab most of them by grabbing an identifier for their phone.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Inner Light posted:

Gotta ask in light of recent times, how do cameras help in catching someone if they are wearing a mask and a full on crime outfit?

Where I am a huge percentage of the property crime going is homeless people, addicts, and homeless addicts that DGAF. They will rock right up and take poo poo right in front of a camera.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sorry for post bombing the thread, but not sure where else this would go.

Anyone have recs for a good two sided code / keyed lock for a regular gate? I've found some two way locks for gates but for some reason you have to unlock on the side you locked, which is worthless.... best case would a key pad.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wish I loved traditional style rugs, but I have my heart set on something pink for my living room and this just doesn't seem to be a widely used color. No, I'm not buying one of those lovely looking distressed or over dyed ones, I hate them so much.

Presently considering this, the different textures are really neat:

My new couch won't be in until December at the earliest and I probably won't buy a rug before it arrives, so I remain on the hunt.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Upgrade posted:

Sorry for post bombing the thread, but not sure where else this would go.

Anyone have recs for a good two sided code / keyed lock for a regular gate? I've found some two way locks for gates but for some reason you have to unlock on the side you locked, which is worthless.... best case would a key pad.

Why does it need to be locked on both sides?

What is a "regular gate"? Does it have an architectural door hardware prep?

A regular gate to me is a wooden gate with latching gate hardware that you could never make a keypad for. But I've contracted metal gates with architectural door prep before with different types of hardware installed.

Generally you don't lock the backyard or courtyard side for fire safety and convenience, and just block it off so you can't easily open it. In the end usually they're just a part of fences that can be climbed, so there's not much point in locking them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

New baby and social media marketing means we have ruggables all over the house. They don’t feel great, but they’ve already paid off in easy fluid/blowout clean up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I'm imagining a scenario where they want to treat it like the pedestrian gate on my old gated neighborhood - combination on both sides because you don't want someone outside being able to just reach over and push the unlock button.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm imagining a scenario where they want to treat it like the pedestrian gate on my old gated neighborhood - combination on both sides because you don't want someone outside being able to just reach over and push the unlock button.

That's what I thought as well. A lever on the inside is easy to push and open using a stick. Using a knob solves that problem, unless it's a picket style steel gate that you can put your hand through and turn it. Then you add a shield that extends on each side to prevent that. In all cases, unless the top is blocked a determined party can climb over. I prefer to balance the real world with my convenience. I'm not punching a code everytime I walk through, I think the only kind that will work that way is normally locked and once you open it it locks again.

I don't even have a fence on one side of my house and I don't want one for the same reason, it's nice to have a big access available.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Another option instead of a lock is an alarm on the gate. My dad's got one that he can arm remotely, so it goes off if someone opens the gate. Scared the poo poo out of the next door neighbor when he forgot to disarm it, lol.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My parents want to rent out a room of their house. Are there any resources for finding out the process to do that and what the laws are in a given state?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

StormDrain posted:

That's what I thought as well. A lever on the inside is easy to push and open using a stick. Using a knob solves that problem, unless it's a picket style steel gate that you can put your hand through and turn it. Then you add a shield that extends on each side to prevent that. In all cases, unless the top is blocked a determined party can climb over. I prefer to balance the real world with my convenience. I'm not punching a code everytime I walk through, I think the only kind that will work that way is normally locked and once you open it it locks again.

I don't even have a fence on one side of my house and I don't want one for the same reason, it's nice to have a big access available.

Its a vinyl gate, so, kind of poo poo.

But yea it opens to an alley in an urban area. Currently the 'security' method from the previous owner is a u-lock on the interior latch. Which works, but I can't open it from the outside, and seems unsafe. I'd like a solution that is safer, can be locked/opened from either end, and ideally would be able to be quickly opened in case of a fire.

Also to all the haters, suck it, it is a handloomed enormous rug that they left! (That I'm going to sell to a rug dealer.)

Also day 3 of homeownership, running costs: $1700.

And a rug shot for everyone reading my terrible posts:

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 6, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How many haunted skeleton candle people on that rug. Don't tell me that's four of them :ohdear:

And do you really think you can seperate cursed rug from it's home? Why do you think the other guy finally sold the house? Cue old thread title

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Forgive me for these extreme noob questions.

I joined a neighbourhood with an HOA. I want my relations with my neighbors to be cordial but also not really super friendly. Like I don't want to go to their house for dinner or anything but I don't want them to hate us. I have noticed we have some trees right on the edge of our property that have branches that go onto their property. I don't know if I should voluntarily do anything or just wait for them to ask me to trim them, or what.

Also we have moving pods arriving in a couple of days and the neighbours use street parking. We probably want to put one or two pods on the street outside one of their houses. Clearly it would be better to give them a heads up or something (???? right??? or not???), I don't know if it's normal to knock on neighbours doors and say hi these days, or what. For reference I'm in a suburban area in Denver (Thornton). I dont have stuff to bake with yet so I can't make cookies or whatever, maybe I should buy something? I don't know? Does what I'm asking sound completely ridiculous? Or should we just knock and say hi? All of the neighbours seem to have pretty cool halloween thingies outside so it seems like a nice kind of area. I've been living in downtowns/etc my entire life since I left my parents house, in another country, where they were friendly with all of the neighbours. My wife told me that it was 'very weird' that I talked to new neighbours in downtown san jose when I saw them outside the house.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just knock and say hi?

Your wife has interesting opinions about talking to neighbors

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I would knock and give them a heads up about the pods and and if they don't answer leave a note introducing yourself and explaining the situation, apologizing for the inconvenience, and leaving your number incase they have any problems (which you can't solve because the Pods are the Pods, but, its a nice gesture).

Otherwise in general you'll get a sense of your neighbors because the nosey ones you'll hate will introduce themselves.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 6, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hadlock posted:

Your wife has interesting opinions about talking to neighbors

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Your wife is very weird and it’s a really good thing to have good relationships with your neighbors without being their BFFs. You don’t need to bring anything over to say hi and to start you don’t need to have grand conversations it can build like a natural friendship.

It’s really really bizarre to share a property line with someone and never acknowledge you each exist. Some rapport makes things a lot easier when there is a dual property issue.

Now if I’m in a grocery store and see a neighbor I’ll say hi and ask what’s new but I’m not going to dive into a deep interaction.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I interacted with the neighbors enough to find out who the Trump supporters and the antivax christians were so I know who to keep interaction down to a "your house is on fire" max.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Motronic posted:

Not surprisingly at all, our tastes line up.

Look at this rug/cat:

This is the machine loomed one:

And my favorite, it's a test pattern of "what borders we can put on the rug we make for you" that my "rug guy" somehow found:

Those are all nice rugs that I would happily have in my house. I also especially like the all borders rug. My parents have a couple "character" rugs like that to go with the typical assortment of traditional oriental patterns. One is actually vaguely similar to the border rug - relatively austere, with a border and spaced out horizontal stripes and solid blocks of light rust red/salmon pink in between. They also have a couple authentic Navajo rugs, which I always knew were different from the others.

I am woefully lacking in rugs right now. I have three, four if you count the 2x3 woven alpaca fluff rug that I put next to my bed. One is a ratty woven one that I could describe as shabby bohemian. Got it out of the closet of a friend who was moving away. It's up in my attic office and I won't photograph it because my attic office is a disaster at the moment.

The other two I got sight unseen from my grandma's house after she passed away. My mom asked if I wanted some rugs and I said yes and she sent me these:

With kitten for scale. It's machine woven, probably 1980's - it's a contemporary riff on the traditional designs and would pair wonderfully with 80's heavy brown traditional style furniture. My grandma had it underneath her glass top oval coffee table in the den.

This one seems to be higher quality, but not particularly old as rugs go. Haven't been able to place the design and unusual color palette yet (but I haven't tried very hard).

They're 4x5 and 4x6 respectively, so nice for small bedrooms. The former one is in my living room but looks dumb because it's way too small.

Sirotan posted:

Wish I loved traditional style rugs, but I have my heart set on something pink for my living room and this just doesn't seem to be a widely used color. No, I'm not buying one of those lovely looking distressed or over dyed ones, I hate them so much.

Presently considering this, the different textures are really neat:

My new couch won't be in until December at the earliest and I probably won't buy a rug before it arrives, so I remain on the hunt.

That's a cool rug. My thought on selecting a rug is that there should be no half measures - either wholly embrace the traditional tribal patterns and colors or get something modern/abstract/totally new and different. I not so secretly love modern rugs, but unfortunately they won't work well with our period correct Victorian design plans (which calls for a gratuitous quantity of old fashioned oriental rugs). One of my dad's bucket list items is to build a Philip Johnson style MCM spec house and I would be so very down to help him out with the interior design and decorating, which would include selecting modern rugs and other pieces for staging/furnishing.

There are pink oriental rugs - the currently popular Turkish Oushak rugs that I mentioned in a previous post but blanked on the name. These rugs use very pale colors, pink included, and basically look like they've been left out in the sun for fifty years. They achieve the faded washed out look without it looking faked/manufactured because it's actually genuine.

The worst in my opinion are the bad and tasteless traditional imitations. My best friend recently showed me a picture of her brother's apartment living room with the rug his girlfriend had picked out. I immediately recognized it as this abomination from Wayfair. Just get a cute contemporary rug it would look so much better oh my god. Also during a previous rug chat in the interior design thread, someone posted an expensive "designer" rug that looked like it had had a bucket of concentrated bleach thrown at it. Completely awful. Not even fake distressing/fading, just straight up undiluted bleach.

Upgrade posted:

And a rug shot for everyone reading my terrible posts:

This rug loving owns and I'm very mad it literally won't fit in the room I would put it in because otherwise I would most likely be buying it from you. If I were you I'd keep it. Hopefully there isn't a curse that's activated by the rug's removal from the house.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tremors posted:

I interacted with the neighbors enough to find out who the Trump supporters and the antivax christians were so I know who to keep interaction down to a "your house is on fire" max.

Or in your neighbor's case "your house is definitely not on fire, whoever called you at the restaurant must be pranking you. Have an extra dessert on me"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

This one seems to be higher quality, but not particularly old as rugs go. Haven't been able to place the design and unusual color palette yet (but I haven't tried very hard).

This was in my living room as a child.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

This was in my living room as a child.

I totally recognize that pattern too. That was almost definitely a Bloomingdales/JC Penny/whatever big mall store rug.

I still have a few from that same era and most have held up surprisingly well.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

StormDrain posted:

What is a "regular gate"? Does it have an architectural door hardware prep?

A regular gate to me is a wooden gate with latching gate hardware that you could never make a keypad for. But I've contracted metal gates with architectural door prep before with different types of hardware installed.

Generally you don't lock the backyard or courtyard side for fire safety and convenience, and just block it off so you can't easily open it. In the end usually they're just a part of fences that can be climbed, so there's not much point in locking them.

I bought all my house locks from https://doorlocksdirect.com/ and was quite happy. Maybe they have something there? They also do keyed alike stuff and maybe could make you something.

On a different note, trying to decide between a bissell spinwave vs braava m6 for a robot mop. Anyone use either? Assume price isn't a factor.

I have all hardwood/tile, no rugs, and already own a robot vac.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 7, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I bought all my house locks from https://doorlocksdirect.com/ and was quite happy. Maybe they have something there? They also do keyed alike stuff and maybe could make you something.

On a different note, trying to decide between a bissell spinwave vs braava m6 for a robot mop. Anyone use either? Assume price isn't a factor.

I have all hardwood/tile, no rugs, and already own a robot vac.

We have the braava m6 and it works well enough for us on our hardwoods. We were never very good about mopping to begin with, so this is automatically a step up for us.

Can't think of any major complaints. Don't really have a point of reference so I dunno. We haven't tested it on like spills or anything, just normal routine mopping. Obviously isn't as thorough as hand-mopping, but I think the assumption is quantity over quality, so run it frequently enough and it'll be fine.

We still only run it like once every few weeks, though. Kind of annoying to change the mop head and wash off the base plate, but still easier than hand mopping, and I'm not sure how else you'd do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hadlock posted:

Or in your neighbor's case "your house is definitely not on fire, whoever called you at the restaurant must be pranking you. Have an extra dessert on me"

Just tell them it’s fake news.