Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I'm running low on money and am considering having to sell off unnecessary things like my synths. The first one to go would probably be my Roland System 1. I don't know why I don't see more about this thing because it's kind of outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPvdA-01tM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I paid mpcstuff a bunch of bucks for the upgraded pad stack and it’s SO MUCH BETTER. It feels like my MPC One in feedback now, tbh, which I always liked. Also replaced a bunch of the sloppy plastic buttons and now everything feels super tight.

Since it’s October I thought it would be fun to go with a spoopy halloween themed setup but it’s not really jiving with me as much as I thought. Whenever I can justify spending a few more bucks I’ll grab something less “wacky”, or maybe I’ll forget about it and just stick with what I have, who knows.

Did a DIY upgrade to the tired green LCD screen too. Didn’t pay mpcstuff for this but ordered a screen from china for thirty bucks and made the cable myself. It was super easy and the difference is striking. Light night and day. Feels like a brand new machine.

Anyway, hardware swaps aside this thing is SO MUCH FUN. It’s EXACTLY what I needed to get my workflow in order. I’ve been experimenting with tracks so much more than I ever did with the One, mainly because there’s not a metric ton of stuff for me to menu dive. It’s not lightweight or basic, but it doesn’t feel like everything I touch is leading me astray into a deep dive of options or possibilities. That’s not a bad thing per se, unless your personality is the kind that will take that detour and just stop making music for the next two hours.

I want to say it’s perfect. Even the fact that it’s CF and USB1 is turning out to be good. It’s keeping me from loading up a hundred sample packs and idly flipping through them, and making me work with a more limited subset, both because I can’t fit a ton on a 2gb card and because it takes a year and a day to load them over USB (and I can’t find my CF adapter at the moment).

I dunno, all around this has to be one of the best investments I made in my creativity in a long time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I kinda want a system 8 or jd xa but can’t tell which

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Another good hardware cheap synth to learn on with an excellent layout is a Korg MS000. I got mine for $300.

Bonus- you can make most of the Broken record with it

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Let me ask

He says he sold it already sorry I shoulda checked before posting

“Tell them to save their money. I think it’s massively overhyped”

Awwww bummer but ty

I have a weird hankering for a 2-4 voice intense drum synth, idk why.

Been looking at syncussion clones

Martytoof posted:

Did a DIY upgrade to the tired green LCD screen too. Didn’t pay mpcstuff for this but ordered a screen from china for thirty bucks and made the cable myself. It was super easy and the difference is striking. Light night and day. Feels like a brand new machine.

I dunno, all around this has to be one of the best investments I made in my creativity in a long time.

Hell yeah. My 2500 has janky faders and I have been telling myself I'm gonna fix them for approaching a decade now. & yeah, doing a button swap was huge. I kinda wanna do the rest of my knobs and stuff now.

Where did you get the screen? I kinda wanna do that to mine

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So far I'd rank the following as the most impactful things I've done to waveforms:

• Side Chain LFO on Phase(s)
  • Multiple voices on oscillators
  • LFO on the filter
  • General automated phase fuckery
  • Different waveform combinations

I'm particularly curious about the first three, cause all three of them contributed to this bizarre Pokemon cry. I have no idea why these three things in particular influenced it so much, and I don't know if I ever will. But I sure am grateful they did, cause seriously, this thing is a nightmare.

Except gently caress all that, cause I just found the best patch ever! I present to you, Ode to Yoshi

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

JamesKPolk posted:

Awwww bummer but ty

I have a weird hankering for a 2-4 voice intense drum synth, idk why.

Been looking at syncussion clones

Hell yeah. My 2500 has janky faders and I have been telling myself I'm gonna fix them for approaching a decade now. & yeah, doing a button swap was huge. I kinda wanna do the rest of my knobs and stuff now.

Dude check the perkons!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Had a good show last Wednesday. Vinyl on one side of the mixer and acid jamz on the other with my tb 03 and techno system. Played about 5 hours

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

I followed this post to the letter. This is the exact LCD I picked up:

https://www.buydisplay.com/graphic-lcd-240x64-module-display-ra6963-fully-compatible-with-t6963

After that just needed a few ribbon connectors and a bog standard ribbon cable, some light soldering and it was EZ. I bought the connectors for twenty bucks all in from digi-key I think, so total was probably.. I dunno, at least less than half the price of the “official” mpcstuff replacement LCD.

Honestly the hardest part of the whole thing was crimping the cable to the connectors since I didn’t have the right tool. I used a small bench vise to mush it together.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://gfycat.com/criminalseverehoneyeater

I discovered sending one channel of the hydrasynth to the circuit tracks, and using the side chain compression effect in circuit tracks on the hydrasynth signal.

because you can individually pan oscillators, it's mean I've got some of the sound "pumping" with the kick drum, and some isn't. the video doesn't show it but moving thru chords is nice. it's a good discovery, gives good and easy life to the synth when the drums are running.

anyway. I've got a week off and man I am enjoying it.

the circuit tracks is excellent. well.. I think I need better synth sounds from it, and would love something like a long record, because I like playing the hydrasnth and recording the notes. at the moment it can work almost like a midi looper, which is fuckin cool because can record the notes but keep changing them. anyway. lol if you read all of this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whatcha gonna use it in?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey can I just say how awesome WIDI Master is?

I'm sitting on my couch with the MPC in my lap and triggering synth out of my iPad on the shelf over the freakin air. If there's latency then I certainly don't notice it. Obviously for recording I'd want this wired but this is .. I don't want to use the word "game changer" loosely but .. yeah.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The envelope controls on DEXED are hurting my head. :psyduck: I miss my graphical envelope editors.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The example printed on the old synths shows how that works

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

A MIRACLE posted:

I kinda want a system 8 or jd xa but can’t tell which

I was always super intrigued by the semimodular System 1m they built/buried six years ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

brand engager posted:

Yeah but that doesn’t mean I won’t get real annoyed when the envelope inverts on itself for some bizarre fuckin reason :byodood: (thank you!)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

Had a good show last Wednesday. Vinyl on one side of the mixer and acid jamz on the other with my tb 03 and techno system. Played about 5 hours

I'd really like to listen to the acid jams while I work out. Is there a recording you might could possibly share? I only want audio, BTW. I need a strong, steady beat for extended periods.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I thought about ripping it into the SP 404 but ended up using that as an FX box for the record player.

Anyone know if something like the tascam DR 05 can record for hours at a time?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Whatcha gonna use it in?

I have this ongoing project for live performances, which I haven’t done yet, still figuring out how I’m going to power it and making myself an outfit lol.

But since I’ve only got the hydrasynth and circuit Im just discovering more and more things I can do so hopefully it’ll be interesting to stumble across.

I find the synths on the circuit tracks kinda average so it’s mostly one synth and drums, so getting movement into the hydrasynth with side chain is another tool in the belt.

brand engager posted:

everything here I get except the two stages on what i know as decay, the R2 and R3 bits. what’s the deal?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

its just another stage, it doesnt strictly conform to ADSR, you can program it like an ADSR however

think a quick rising sound, quick drop, then another long pad-like rise in volume before the key off event would be an example

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

magiccarpet posted:

Another good hardware cheap synth to learn on with an excellent layout is a Korg MS000. I got mine for $300.

Bonus- you can make most of the Broken record with it

Which MS is this? The 2000? I'm trying to Google but no luck :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trying to translate OPN patches to Dexed is a pain in the rear end. I wish I had a tool that I could punch OPN envelope values into and it'll show me what the envelope is supposed to look like.

Or I could just stop being cheap and get RYM or chipsynthMD.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Excuse me but... *trying to reach through cables to get to that one knob*

e: and I'm just going to post this photo of part of my setup again simply because I like it

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 6, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

missing a matchbook or folded up index card being used to sustain a key

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

These racks look so pretty yet so expensive.

Don't know if this is a synth-specific question, but I'm working my way backwards from some tracks I like to understand how they work, and I'm trying to figure out what this one track is doing:

https://voca.ro/1VPBO9gffmc1

That characteristic "tck" for the patch doesn't play for every note, almost as if it's sometimes skipping the attack phase. I don't know what effect that is or how to replicate it elsewhere. I tried replicating the track, but as you can see it repeats that "tck" for every note-on. I have no idea how to not do that.

Is this a known thing? If so, what's the name for it and how do I do it?

Oh yeah, and

Agreed posted:

This is a really fun synth and makes (well, at least Yamaha style) FM synthesis relatively easy to learn with its limited number of operators and the maker's really excellent preset support post-launch. That pack includes a bunch of very workable common sounds and also some surprisingly useful FX etc., even has some pretty growly modern sounding stuff which is nuts considering it's a 4-operator cut down DX7 in principle (love its unique distortion characteristics though, it's a favorite noisemaker for me). I used this in a track earlier this year and it was a lot of fun from getting different sounds set up to recording. Here is a link to RYMcast, his Genesis player / patch loader. It's awesome how much variation you can get from just changing the algorithm (FM module order & how they interact) on a VGM patch, then tweak from there.

This is pretty loving nuts, by the way. Being able to grab the patches directly from the Genesis makes them way less of a pain to analyze, especially when I can put them in a VST. Good tip!!!!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I hear that as two layered voices, one playing a legato bassline and one playing a deep pluck

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What's "yamaha style fm synthesis" mean? They use linear fm like most other fm synths afaik.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Sometimes people use it to mean 4-8 digital operators in an assignable carrier/modulator matrix.

Sometimes people use it to mean when you implement it via phase modulation digitally, which is what the DX series did in the 80s... but not like the Casio PM synths

In general, distinguished from e.g. Buchla style FM, which is focused on a smaller number of more complex, frequently analog oscillators, and not necessarily as tied to the carrier-operator paradigm (but ultimately doing basically the same thing) or all the analog implementations, like Thru-0 FM, where its sometimes linear, sometimes exponential, but definitely not digital.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok the hydrasynth, you can wet/dry the FM signal and man that makes a difference

FM is good but I struggle to get anything good out of it if it’s not subtle, and you often end up killing the bottom end of the sound if you’re not careful.

my playing style? I basically INIT the synth and start with nothing on the circuit, and just let inspiration run wild. this is will be my performance. start from nothing, and build up to a cool sound/beat, with tons and I mean tons of mistakes along the way. I end up with some cool stuff sometimes.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
This might be the best guide I’ve seen to using fm synthesis (Yamaha style as just discussed) to replicate sounds http://javelinart.com/fm-synth-programming.html

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Catastrophe posted:

Excuse me but... *trying to reach through cables to get to that one knob*

e: and I'm just going to post this photo of part of my setup again simply because I like it

:nice: I see a Richter Oscillator, a disting, and I think just the panel of a Befaco Sallen Key Filter…. What else you got there?

echinopsis posted:

FM is good but I struggle to get anything good out of it if it’s not subtle, and you often end up killing the bottom end of the sound if you’re not careful.

I had a lecturer in college once say, “The problem with FM is that FM sounds like FM, sounds like FM…”

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:nice: I see a Richter Oscillator, a disting, and I think just the panel of a Befaco Sallen Key Filter…. What else you got there?

The tiny modular setup is currently a Moffenzeef multiplier, Doepfer A-124 filter, Synthrotek RND, Doepfer A-147-2 LFO / VCA, Pittsburgh Mixer, Malekko Richter Oscillator II, Expert Sleepers Disting MK4, and WMD ADSRVCA in a Tiptop Happy Ending skiff.

That Belfaco filter from the photo hasn't been finished, yet.

edit: Here, this is what that minimalist setup looks like today

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 6, 2021

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

brand engager posted:

What's "yamaha style fm synthesis" mean? They use linear fm like most other fm synths afaik.

IIRC most early Yamaha FM synths (DX7 in particular) technically used phase modulation rather than "true" FM, but I think that was fairly common for the time.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Finally got around to assembling and trying the Korg NTS-1 this evening. It's a blast. Going to need to install all the software etc. over the next day or two. Also going to need a MIDI adapter for this. Just connecting it to a Oxygen8 RN and it's great already. Haven't tried running a sound through it yet, just enjoying the synths and presets. Cat is presently standing on it. So it passes the cat test also.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://youtu.be/1lI7hvKEr7M

I am in awe at how many sounds I thought were baked into music that actually just naturally arose from the interaction between two instruments. The drums in this track are simple, and the baseline in this track is often just an oscillation between two notes, but when you put them together (especially with the other channels) all of a sudden it becomes complex and it turns out that no, the baseline is not complicated at all.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Catastrophe posted:

Synthrotek RND

Looks more like a Pico RND (which is a super useful module in only 3hp)

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Behold my alter to fart noises.

See the money I've wasted.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

NonzeroCircle posted:

Which MS is this? The 2000? I'm trying to Google but no luck :(

Yeah would be the MS2000, price seems to have shot up a bit. The microkorg can do all the same stuff at half the price but it only has a few knobs making programming a chore.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Behold my alter to fart noises.

See the money I've wasted.

Love your cable holding swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pollyanna posted:

https://voca.ro/1VPBO9gffmc1

That characteristic "tck" for the patch doesn't play for every note, almost as if it's sometimes skipping the attack phase. I don't know what effect that is or how to replicate it elsewhere. I tried replicating the track, but as you can see it repeats that "tck" for every note-on. I have no idea how to not do that.

Is this a known thing? If so, what's the name for it and how do I do it?
When a synth is monophonic, it can deal in different ways with what should happen when it gets a new note while the previous note is still held down. It can just play the new note from the start of the adsr envelope, or it can start the new note from the sustain stage of the previous note (sort of legato). When it does that, it can jump to the new pitch, or it can bend towards it (portamento). All this allows for accents that are harder to recreate on polyphonic synths, by alternating between overlapping and non overlapping notes. I think that's what's going on in your sound sample.