Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Well, tire size will be based on the wheels on the car now. Generally most shops won't deviate too far from the door sticker size, our "guideline" is +/-3% diameter. Winter tires some will recommend dropping one step in width and maybe bumping one step up in height, depending on the OE fit. I run the same plus-fit in summers and winters, because it's very rare that I'm traveling on seriously unplowed roads.

If you're asking about dropping from a 19" wheel to an 18" wheel for the winter tires, plug your year/make/model into Tire Racks wheel fitment guide and see what comes up. It's probably the most accurate I've found for verifying fitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

PitViper posted:

Well, tire size will be based on the wheels on the car now. Generally most shops won't deviate too far from the door sticker size, our "guideline" is +/-3% diameter. Winter tires some will recommend dropping one step in width and maybe bumping one step up in height, depending on the OE fit. I run the same plus-fit in summers and winters, because it's very rare that I'm traveling on seriously unplowed roads.

If you're asking about dropping from a 19" wheel to an 18" wheel for the winter tires, plug your year/make/model into Tire Racks wheel fitment guide and see what comes up. It's probably the most accurate I've found for verifying fitment.

Tire Racks only knows about 19'' as well. I'm asking: can I go get an 18'' wheel ( 7.5J X 18), with the appropriate tire size (225/40ZR18), as per the manual, and expect it to fit? Or should I just go to the dealer and have them give me the wheels that are guaranteed to fit on those breaks?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Volguus posted:

Tire Racks only knows about 19'' as well. I'm asking: can I go get an 18'' wheel ( 7.5J X 18), with the appropriate tire size (225/40ZR18), as per the manual, and expect it to fit? Or should I just go to the dealer and have them give me the wheels that are guaranteed to fit on those breaks?

They recommend a 225/40r18. Use their winter/snow tire and wheel package option. https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/packages.html

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Volguus posted:

Does anyone here have a Veloster N? They have these huge breaks on them and apparently (according to YouTube) not any wheel would fit. I will need winter tires soon and I was wondering if youtube is correct and I should just go get the tires from the local Hyundai dealer or can I save a buck and go to costco or others? The costco website seems to think that only 19'' tires fit when the manual specifies that 18'' would fit as well. I have currently 19'' Pirelli summer tires, so I have to get winter tires in Ontario. Driving with these in the winter would be suicide.

I will definitely want alloys, since aesthetics matter, but I'm not gunning to waste more $ than I have to (gas is $1.67/L , that's plenty of wasted $).

Plenty of people say you can run 18” on the N. TireRack will sell you a winter tire mounted on a wheel if you want, all you have to do it bolt it on.

E: there’s another page!!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
At first I thought that the model year is what made them return those results (as mine is 2022), but it just seems i just need to look at the winter tire packages instead of just shopping for a tire. By default they just return the factory size and the other size only shows up after additional clicking in there. But yes, 18'' does show up eventually.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 2, 2021

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Volguus posted:

Does anyone here have a Veloster N? They have these huge breaks on them and apparently (according to YouTube) not any wheel would fit. I will need winter tires soon and I was wondering if youtube is correct and I should just go get the tires from the local Hyundai dealer or can I save a buck and go to costco or others? The costco website seems to think that only 19'' tires fit when the manual specifies that 18'' would fit as well. I have currently 19'' Pirelli summer tires, so I have to get winter tires in Ontario. Driving with these in the winter would be suicide.

I will definitely want alloys, since aesthetics matter, but I'm not gunning to waste more $ than I have to (gas is $1.67/L , that's plenty of wasted $).

The biggest thing with fitting aftermarket wheels around brakes is matching the specific wheel and brakes.

On my car 17x9 +35 or +45 fit fine but if I want a big brake kit later only the +35 will clear. All this is true for enkie rpf1s and the AP racing brakes. Other wheels and brakes were different.

Everything tire rack has told me would fit worked.

If you want to really be sure order the wheels without tires and put one on by hand only. If you put a lugnut on they won't let you return it. Same if you mount tires.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone tried the goodyear eagle exhilarate? or the new conti dws 06+? or as4?

there's a sale right now at discount tire direct, 110 off a set (and an extra 70 off the goodyears)

i just ordered RPF1s for the new brz but still need to get all season tires and TPMS

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

there's a sale right now at discount tire direct, 110 off a set (and an extra 70 off the goodyears)

i just ordered RPF1s for the new brz but still need to get all season tires and TPMS

Brz is 5x100 right?

Edit: yeah looks like it.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 5, 2021

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I'm gonna need new tires pretty soon, but I've probably got a few thousand miles before it's urgent. Is my best money-saving (or best value, let's say) play to order from Tire Rack and pay someone to put them on the car for me? If I go to a used tire place, are they likely to give me anything for my old tires if they're on the top end of the yellow rating from the dealership?

If I go to Firestone or whatever, is there a separate charge for getting rid of the old tires and putting on the new set, or is the price they quote you for the tires themselves inflated (ha!) a bit because the cost of those other services are built in to the price of the tire?

Racing Stripe fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 6, 2021

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
No experience on the Exhilarate personally, but the DWS06+ and the Pilot Sport AS4 would both be excellent choices. The AS4 will probably be the quietest of the three, I had the DWSs a while back and they were a touch noisier than the AS3+ or the Pirelli Pzero AS+.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm gonna need new tires pretty soon, but I've probably got a few thousand miles before it's urgent. Is my best money-saving (or best value, let's say) play to order from Tire Rack and pay someone to put them on the car for me? If I go to a used tire place, are they likely to give me anything for my old tires if they're on the top end of the yellow rating from the dealership?

If I go to Firestone or whatever, is there a separate charge for getting rid of the old tires and putting on the new set, or is the price they quote you for the tires themselves inflated (ha!) a bit because the cost of those other services are built in to the price of the tire?

I wouldn't expect much, if any, kickback on your used tires. At best if you go to a shop that deals in those, they'll waive the disposal fee the state usually requires on new tire purchases.

The up-front pricing I've seen from every tire shop around is always just the tire itself, excluding mounting, balancing, state required fees, and road hazard warranties. In the distant past tire shops would pad the tire price and offer mounting and balancing for dirt cheap, but then when everyone started showing up with TireRack tires for less, they stopped. You might be able to find a better deal on TireRack versus some local shops, but I'd be surprised if they actually beat a major retailer like Discount Tire or Costco.

Any tire shop worth dealing with will let you price the whole thing out online, installation and fees included, so you can properly compare total versus total.

There's also Walmart but it's a loving crapshoot if their tire centers can figure a drat thing out. I usually only go to them to mount trailer tires as a result.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

What size and offset did you go with?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
17x8 +45

also ended up going with the Goodyear eagle exhilarate in 225/45/17

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Racing Stripe posted:

tire rack can be really expensive, because they charge for shipping. if it's not urgent discounttiredirect (not the usual discount tire site) stocks a lot of brands and frequently has sales.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Racing Stripe posted:

No place I have ever see actually charges you to put them on the car

It's putting the tires on the wheels that they charge you for

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

17x8 +45

also ended up going with the Goodyear eagle exhilarate in 225/45/17

Should be fun. I went 17x9 +35 and I think it might be a little much.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't expect much, if any, kickback on your used tires. At best if you go to a shop that deals in those, they'll waive the disposal fee the state usually requires on new tire purchases.

The up-front pricing I've seen from every tire shop around is always just the tire itself, excluding mounting, balancing, state required fees, and road hazard warranties. In the distant past tire shops would pad the tire price and offer mounting and balancing for dirt cheap, but then when everyone started showing up with TireRack tires for less, they stopped. You might be able to find a better deal on TireRack versus some local shops, but I'd be surprised if they actually beat a major retailer like Discount Tire or Costco.

Any tire shop worth dealing with will let you price the whole thing out online, installation and fees included, so you can properly compare total versus total.

There's also Walmart but it's a loving crapshoot if their tire centers can figure a drat thing out. I usually only go to them to mount trailer tires as a result.

Okay, thanks for the info. I was assuming Tire Rack would be cheaper since you have to do some of the legwork yourself, but it doesn't really sound like that's necessarily the case. I just joined Costco and I hadn't thought about going there for car service, but I'll check them out for tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nitsuga posted:

Outside of appearances, I don’t think there’s any compelling reason to run alloys. I ran steelies on my Golf and had no complaints. If you’re near MN I actually have the set I was running and would certainly give you a deal on them.

Send me a PM if you’re interested. No worries if not.

I used alloys because they're lighter to manhandle and the lug nuts don't rust to the wheel as easily, and I was able to find tolerable alloys for $100 each which was not much of a premium to the steelies.

Racing Stripe posted:

Okay, thanks for the info. I was assuming Tire Rack would be cheaper since you have to do some of the legwork yourself, but it doesn't really sound like that's necessarily the case. I just joined Costco and I hadn't thought about going there for car service, but I'll check them out for tires.

for tires I was looking at, Costco was not all that cheap, so just make sure you cross-shop and don't assume they're gonna be the cheapest.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Just wanted to say that the Blizzak LM005's won the "best central European winter tyre" test in Swedish magazine "Teknikens Värld" (the moose test guys). Still well below the Nordic friction and studded tyres when it comes to performance on snow and ice (like way below), but makes up for it with great wet and dry performance as well as good comfort levels.

I ordered them since the amount of snow and ice that we see down here in the most southern part of Sweden is very limited compared to wet and dry winter roads. I'll always have the option of not driving as well if the conditions are too bad.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I have a 2020 Toyota Corolla LE, which is one of the lower trim levels that comes with Steel wheels and hubcaps.

My car has about 15k miles with the original ties and after the next rotation I'm probably going to swap them out for michelin defenders and a new set of alloys.

As much as I want to put BBS wheels on it for no reason... I'm mostly looking for the cheapest quality set of wheels that will look mostly stock. I've never purchased aftermarket wheels before and know very little about brands. Any recommendations?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Just wanted to say that the Blizzak LM005's won the "best central European winter tyre" test in Swedish magazine "Teknikens Värld"

That's cool pardon the pun.
The test is behind a paywall, how did the Michlin X-ice Snow do vs Continental Viking Contact7 in terms of comfort?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

smooth jazz posted:

That's cool pardon the pun.
The test is behind a paywall, how did the Michlin X-ice Snow do vs Continental Viking Contact7 in terms of comfort?

Michlin X-ice Snow 9/10 in Comfort

Continental Viking Contact7 10/10

(Blizzaks got 8/10 for reference)

Viking Contact7 were also the over all winner of the test with "astonishing comfort levels" and great moose test performance. Definitely the tyres I'd get if I didn't want to give the euro winters a go. For comparison, the Blizzaks got 10/10 in wet and dry, while the Viking Contact7's got 4/10 and 3/10 respectively.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Thanks for that, much appreciated .

It's interesting, I have VikingContact 7 and find they ride real stiff.

It bothered me so much I bit the bullet and blind ordered a set of X-ice Snow (the only decent option locally).

The only review I could find was on Tirerack that rated the X-Ice Snow nominally better than Viking 7 for comfort.

Oh well, I guess we'll find out who's right...

(I had some scary moments with the Viking 7 in heavy rain on the highway, so I agree they're poor in the wet)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

smooth jazz posted:

(I had some scary moments with the Viking 7 in heavy rain on the highway, so I agree they're poor in the wet)

That's unfortunate to hear, I've got WinterContact SI's for my Subaru now, and was eyeing the Viking 7's to replace those in a year or two. Update us on the Xice Snows, because those were my other top choice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't have any complaints with the X-ice snow that I run on my Prius. I was lazy this year and didn't want another set of wheels in my garage so I've run them the whole year. We had a blizzard in spring that they absolutely kicked rear end in as well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I was going to ask about X-Ice Snow's as I blind ordered a set from Costco. The rebate and load rating made it the only option for our Tesla, so good to know.

I've also ran snow's all year out of laziness on my 325XI wagon. It was fantastic, considering they were $389 a set, would recommend 10/10.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

CerealKilla420 posted:

I have a 2020 Toyota Corolla LE, which is one of the lower trim levels that comes with Steel wheels and hubcaps.

My car has about 15k miles with the original ties and after the next rotation I'm probably going to swap them out for michelin defenders and a new set of alloys.

As much as I want to put BBS wheels on it for no reason... I'm mostly looking for the cheapest quality set of wheels that will look mostly stock. I've never purchased aftermarket wheels before and know very little about brands. Any recommendations?

I like some of the wheels that are on the higher-trim corollas a lot, I'd probably look for a set of those. Also, depending on how you use your car, instead of the Defenders consider the Bridgestone QuietComfort (I've had both). The Defenders are a bit sportier and sharper at the expense of noise and winter grip. The QuietComforts made my Kia an almost-luxury car at the expense of sharpness and steering feel. The QuietComforts also did fine in Cleveland winter, tho not as well as dedicated snow tires.

Highly recommend Costco for either, their store-brand Michelins are Defenders, and they also carry the QuietComforts. Don't go with their other Bridgestone option, sounds like they suck.

In other news, Costco has finally received my PS4A/S shipment! It only took several days of waiting in FedEx's Troutdale depot. Apparently there's some shipping problems or something. Can't wait to get them on, I've been abusing the poo poo out of the current tires - they'll spin through the first 3 or 4 gears thanks to the DCT's ability to keep boost built up when shifting :)

the spyder posted:

I was going to ask about X-Ice Snow's as I blind ordered a set from Costco. The rebate and load rating made it the only option for our Tesla, so good to know.

I've also ran snow's all year out of laziness on my 325XI wagon. It was fantastic, considering they were $389 a set, would recommend 10/10.

They're fine, pretty good balance between on-road quality and snow capability. The General Arcticmax whatevers were significantly better in the snow at the expense of driving like a truck, and I am pretty sure they don't come in the load rating you need.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 11, 2021

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Re: shipping on Michelin, I'm not surprised. Our deliveries on Michelin have been absolute poo poo the last 6 months. They'll give me a 3-5 business day estimate, but sometimes will randomly decide an order placed Tuesday will get put on my regular-stock truck.... Which leaves the warehouse Monday, and usually gets to our location on Thurs/Fri. Which means the order vanishes for 7-8 business days while my customer wonders WTF is going on.

Also FedEx has been a mess for tires, but that's usually only a day or so delay, because the local FedEx building is about 2 minutes down the road. I'm really looking forward to our annual tire sale in November, when we'll probably have 200-300 orders placed in 3 days, and the shitshow that's going to cause with every part of our logistics train. I've been trying to get people to place orders now, and pay and schedule when the sale is running.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hmm that probably explains why I have been waiting almost 2 weeks for the Michelin PS4A/S tires that I ordered for my mom's car from Costco.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

Hmm that probably explains why I have been waiting almost 2 weeks for the Michelin PS4A/S tires that I ordered for my mom's car from Costco.

The Portland FedEx depot (Troutdale) is suffering from a huge worker shortage apparently, I imagine that isn't unique. Annoying for me, but potentially tragic for someone who needs something more important than the tires and CD players I've been waiting on.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It’s probably affecting all courier distribution hubs. I’ve noticed a few orders in mine coming via UPS have been pushed back a day or two once they hit my regional distribution hub.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

the spyder posted:

I have them on my Sierra so I'm not sure how well the experience compares but I really like them. Huge snow performance increase over the Wranglers I drive on the rest of the year. And since they're 17s not 20s I always feel like the ride and response is better. Quieter than the General (Altimax?) winter tires on my wife's Escape.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just got around to getting these Ice Edge tires mounted up. The wheels had been sitting in my garage for two years collecting dust. They’ll be going on the Cooper S.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Stupid newbie question for my upcoming first winter with a car. The reason to have a dedicated set of wheels for winter tires is convenience, right? I'm not gonna change them myself, so at this point I'm swayed by whichever is cheaper: labour cost of 9x tire changes vs. one-time purchase of 4 wheels. But I'm happy to learn that I'm missing something.

(I'm assuming 5 years' life from a set of tires. I guess the wheel cost will amortize over multiple sets of tires, but I wanted an easy comparison.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's the main thing, convenience and not paying for the switchover. I usually have the shop do it, but in a pinch (for example March of last year when everything was closed) can change over in the driveway, with wheels. I just don't have a tpms tool.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Your stay at a shop is a heck of a lot shorter when they're swapping wheels instead of having to mount and balance tires. Also, if you have the tools, you can swap your own wheels whenever you want, without having to wait for an appointment, take time away from work, etc

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Awesome, thanks y'all! The convenience part makes total sense in theory but isn't worth that much to me right now, as I'm in an apartment with no handy car workspace, no tools, no knowledge, and at the moment no desire to remedy the above.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's pretty common over here to have narrower and higher profile wheels and tyres for your winter set.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That and the fact that it'll be about 8 less opportunities for a tyre shop to ruin your rims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Speaking of higher and narrower, I mounted my winter setup on the Mini. Went from 205/45/17 to 195/55/16