Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HBO should buy the adaptation rights to the Byston Well universe, and take characters and stories and robots from that for their new Game of Thrones prequel series. Everybody would be like, "this owns so much, but what happens to the giant bug robots, why weren't they in Game of Thrones?" and then HBO should never address that or explain why there aren't giant bug robots in Game of Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I just want some streaming thing to do the Iain M. Banks Culture books, preferably Amazon I guess 'cuz they have the most money.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's a shame Three Card Monty has gotten such a bad reputation from swindlers and magicians.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Four card monty is the man you really need to watch out for.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

No I don't, there's some poison here too

The simplest and most obvious way social media harms you is reality distortion. The false reality you see scrolling through your cursed feed colors the way you see the world, and that is entirely intentional

Also you replace actual relationships with fake ones, even to the same person. People are lonely all the time now and try to replace it with commenting on a fake picture their cousin posted. It doesn't mean anything and doesn't actually fulfill the very real need humans have for social interaction - it's like someone dying of thirst and drinking sea water out of desperation. People have replaced, partly or wholly, their real relationships with thin air

Also social media actively encourages psychological self-harm and even sometimes physical self harm. Your darkest thoughts are repeated to you over and over because that's what and who you chose to see on your phone screen, and the algorithm is more than happy to give you more

Also social media legitimizes scary behavior in others who very well might harm you or others. Because they get to choose their echo chambers, same as you. Sometimes theirs end up in violence. Hell, maybe yours too who knows

Anyway I could go on but I realized I'm putting actually effort into this. I will say this though - giving up social media is like putting down a crushing weight you didn't know you were carrying. It's like the second week sober, but also comes with the same shame when you realize exactly how much damage has been done

I am noticeably more mentally healthy since quitting Twitter and later Facebook. Twitter had me almost convinced the world was minutes from destruction, real bleak, broke brained stuff that it would feed me based on rabbit holes I, at least initially, decided to follow to the bottom. But even aside from that level of bleakness, everyone was just so mad all the time and the format encouraged the hottest, maddest takes on everything.

Facebook was harder to quit, because it gets so entwined with your real social life through groups and invites, but social lives going away for a while last year let me sever hard and I felt another jump in well-being.

I agree there's poison here too, but I feel it's also pretty easy to avoid drama here too. I've gone 17 years without seriously pissing anyone off (and I've tried for the sake of spicing up my boring rap sheet). There's no gamification of rage or algorithm that rewards derangement - I do have a mild case of irony poisoning from here, sure, and I can't sincerely engage with "normie" online interactions without doing a bit, but none of that is really a problem when I turn my computer off.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Can I ask if these feelings are necessarily incorrect when we look at the world? I mean I wouldn't want to disagree with the findings, I am very sure they are correct, but how much can we draw from these facts:"We keep showing people more of the world and they got more depressed and alone." to this conclusion "This must be caused by the medium by which this is delivered and not because the current state of the world".

Perhaps simply seeing more of the world as it presently is is simply deeply upsetting? Again, I am sure that far more intelligent people than me have looked over it and decided upon the former rather than the latter, but it's still something I find interesting.

You ever seen "Nightcrawler"?
You aren't seeing more of the world, you think you are because companies make algorithms to make you perceive it that way. The content you see on social media is designed to "Drive Engagement" the same way Cable News pushed "If it bleeds it leads". To them you are nothing but a product, they want you angry and depressed because people like that keep scrolling and keep seeing more ads. Taking the position that it's logical that the more informed are more depressed, is A illogical, the information you receive is not agnostic of bias, and B is just a coping method for depression, allowing you to take an unhealthy way of feeling and giving it the veneer of legitimacy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

But also the world is actually falling apart and there's not even a ghost of chance for improvement for the rest of our lives.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Weird how people've been saying that for decades and yet we're still here.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah what kind of bullshit simulation is "god" running anyway, some of these developments seem like a joke.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Byzantine posted:

But also the world is actually falling apart and there's not even a ghost of chance for improvement for the rest of our lives.

You say falling apart, I say I have more rights than I would have at any other point in human history, potato, potahto.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Climate collapse is actually happening. That’s not a hypothetical, that’s not a prediction of things yet to come, we are currently observing the process in action. The klaxons are firing and relatively little action is being taken in the face of consequences that are worse by the year. I’m not saying that “we’re all doomed so we might as well die” but I do question how you could frame that as anything but “falling apart”

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

You aren't seeing more of the world, you think you are because companies make algorithms to make you perceive it that way. The content you see on social media is designed to "Drive Engagement" the same way Cable News pushed "If it bleeds it leads". To them you are nothing but a product, they want you angry and depressed because people like that keep scrolling and keep seeing more ads. Taking the position that it's logical that the more informed are more depressed, is A illogical, the information you receive is not agnostic of bias, and B is just a coping method for depression, allowing you to take an unhealthy way of feeling and giving it the veneer of legitimacy.

Algorithms are not me living through a summer so hot 2 years ago that the trees near me started stripping themselves of their bark to not die and people dying of heat stroke. In one of the wettest and rainiest shitholes in the world. It's also not algorithms that cause the cost of living to increase each year whilst my pay does not keep pace. It's not the algorithm that has increasing number of food banks, the stress on the NHS or the hollowing out of a political party I try and support by careerist shitheads who cannot beat a lying blonde conman.

I am very aware of the biases of the media and the presence of overarching bias in it. However I don't think going "best not learn anything then" is the solution.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

You say falling apart, I say I have more rights than I would have at any other point in human history, potato, potahto.

Human history or civilization based history? Because things are getting better in some ways and if we had infinite time I wouldn't be so worried. But I don't think we do.

Gaius Marius posted:

Weird how people've been saying that for decades and yet we're still here.

This is how I thought about Coronavirus "oh it's going to be like Swine Flu or Bird Flu again. Lots of media furor and then nothing happens". Its the simple idea that everything will work out in some way. But that is not guaranteed.

In fact things can and do get worse. There is no trajectory to history.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Oct 6, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Restaurants should only give people pickles with their fries if they ask for it, otherwise the pickle flavor overwhelms the flavor of whatever it touches

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Restaurants should only give people pickles with their fries if they ask for it, otherwise the pickle flavor overwhelms the flavor of whatever it touches

Just stop serving pickles for the most part. Props to those that like them, but they never seem to add much to most dishes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The limp pickle you get from a jar of vlassic always sucks. Home made can be surprisingly good so always skip restaurant pickles.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

In fact things can and do get better. You're living in the most prosperous, safest, healthiest time in human history

Of course there are a lot of terrible problems, but I'm just saying that having an attitude of "everything is horrible and it's only going to get worse" is wildly naive and self-destructive

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Mu Zeta posted:

The limp pickle you get from a jar of vlassic always sucks. Home made can be surprisingly good so always skip restaurant pickles.

The pickles here in The Netherlands universally suck. No redeeming qualities. I've gone so far as to buy Vlasics at the American/British store in Amsterdam for like €6 a jar.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

thetoughestbean posted:

this, but wasabi at sushi places

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

this, but wasabi at sushi places

It would be cool if sushi places served wasabi and not just horseradish dyed green.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If you want real wasabi then there probably are places that have it, for extra €€€. They could stop dying it green and just tell you it's not real wasabi up front though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The difference in taste is negligible.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

The difference in taste is negligible.

The real stuff is blander and plantier, and at this point is less associated with the cuisine than the fake stuff even in Japan

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

It would still be pretty cool if we stopped dying horseradish green and calling it wasabi.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Also social media actively encourages psychological self-harm and even sometimes physical self harm. Your darkest thoughts are repeated to you over and over because that's what and who you chose to see on your phone screen, and the algorithm is more than happy to give you more

Also social media legitimizes scary behavior in others who very well might harm you or others. Because they get to choose their echo chambers, same as you. Sometimes theirs end up in violence. Hell, maybe yours too who knows

Yes and no. Fediverse, I choose who is on my screen -- the same with Twitter to an extent. I don't interact with certain posts and that changes the ranking or whatever and I only see what I want.

Also re: scary behaviour, sure. But it also normalizes things that are good. I and a huge, overwhelming number of queer peoppe would never have realised we were queer or how numerous we are if social media hadn't existed. Why do you think there's such a panic over it and conservatives are inventing bullshit phrases like "Sudden Onset Gender Dysphoria".

There are good sides and bad sides to social media, it depends on the company/owner of the code, it depends on the social groups, and it depends on the person.

Like, ho boy do I have poo poo to tell you about my family pre-social-media, hoooly poo poo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

In fact things can and do get better. You're living in the most prosperous, safest, healthiest time in human history

Of course there are a lot of terrible problems, but I'm just saying that having an attitude of "everything is horrible and it's only going to get worse" is wildly naive and self-destructive

They do sometimes. Sometimes they get worse though. Like the whole idea of there being a "moral arc" to the universe. That kind of thing. I live in a safe and "healthy" time for where I am, but the rating of life in my country has dipped several times over the last few years and may well get worse. We have more people dying of hunger and so on.

It also presupposes that this can be maintained. Something I am not entirely certain of. I understand the point and I am not disagreeing with it per say, but I am disagreeing with it in particular.

I don't think I have ever had real wasabi, I assume it's nice!

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Oct 6, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
while we do live in the most safe and prosperous times that's ever been, i can't help but feel like it's all a house of cards, barely held together by a bunch of complete ghouls for the benefit of another bunch of complete ghouls

plus, i can't help but feel like the peace and prosperity are but a byproduct, only limited to a lucky few and at a tremendous cost (granted, the number of these lucky few is increasing, but that feels like a byproduct too, not the actual aim)

might as well enjoy it while it lasts, i suppose

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Covid has actually lowered life expectancy so the safest, healthiest time was about 2 years ago.

It's all slope from here, baby.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Josef bugman posted:

Algorithms are not me living through a summer so hot 2 years ago that the trees near me started stripping themselves of their bark to not die and people dying of heat stroke. In one of the wettest and rainiest shitholes in the world. It's also not algorithms that cause the cost of living to increase each year whilst my pay does not keep pace. It's not the algorithm that has increasing number of food banks, the stress on the NHS or the hollowing out of a political party I try and support by careerist shitheads who cannot beat a lying blonde conman.

I am very aware of the biases of the media and the presence of overarching bias in it. However I don't think going "best not learn anything then" is the solution.

Human history or civilization based history? Because things are getting better in some ways and if we had infinite time I wouldn't be so worried. But I don't think we do.

This is how I thought about Coronavirus "oh it's going to be like Swine Flu or Bird Flu again. Lots of media furor and then nothing happens". Its the simple idea that everything will work out in some way. But that is not guaranteed.

It’s always darkest before the dawn

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't like the "this is the best it's ever been" thing cuz it's small compensation when things go bad.

Like, you can't usually send postcards from the local lynching anymore, but ethnic minorities and queer people still get assaulted and killed with no repercussions. poo poo, Rittenhouse basically did send a postcard and the cops love him.

It's also a bit west-centric, how many syrians prefer now to the 80s?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think it's not inaccurate but people do leave off the part that "the best ever" doesn't imply perfection.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

To tie together a couple of recent subjects, one of the many ways social media poisons you is making you addicted to dispair

A sizeable chunk of the population is convinced every day is more disastrous than the last and get for-real angry when anyone suggests otherwise

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think it's not inaccurate but people do leave off the part that "the best ever" doesn't imply perfection.

It depends on when you say it. If someone's depressing themselves by doomscrolling twitter, sure. People also use it for actual traumatic incidents. Like one I recall right away is when the Toronto serial killer was targeting gay men, people would go "well in Iran they'd all be hanged!" Ok... and?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It depends on when you say it. If someone's depressing themselves by doomscrolling twitter, sure. People also use it for actual traumatic incidents. Like one I recall right away is when the Toronto serial killer was targeting gay men, people would go "well in Iran they'd all be hanged!" Ok... and?

That's dumb, I agree. It should only be stated as a description of how things are (although as you noted it might not necessarily be true for everyone everywhere), not as an argument not to be upset/angry about something. Like I said it's a statement that may be accurate, but I think a lot of the people who say it usually have some ulterior motive and are using it to deflect attention from the point the other side is trying to make.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah yeah we all saw the Simpsons Movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah yeah we all saw the Simpsons Movie.

I did once around when it came out. It was the first Simpsons thing I ever saw until around 2 years ago when someone showed me some of the show episodes (I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid). I didn't "get" it at all and I still don't really get why the show is/was so popular.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's like three actually perfect things in this world. And two are Kanye albums.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I think it's very likely that wrt quality of life or life expectancy that it is very much all downhill from here

vv sounds great to be you bud! The copium just is so unproductive though

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 01:44 on Oct 7, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I personally don't think it matters whether we're going downhill as a species or not. Even toward "the end" there will be good people doing good things and happy people and we should all just keep trying our best instead of embracing the doom/gloom and decide nothing matters.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You can be realistic about what's happening and not just give into despair or nihilism.

Hug your partner, pet your car, put on a funny show. If you die tomorrow or thirty years from now in the climate wars, you'll be better for it than screaming "I told you all! I told you all on twitter!" as the post-apocalyptic gangs ride you down in their solar-powered turbocycles.

If you genuinely care, too, you can't be effective for any positive change if you're not well yourself.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
love how people just duck and run for cover the moment you behold how everything is actually getting worse. Of course there is joy to be had, but shut the gently caress up im saying something important