Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
lol not that I have plans to upgrade right away but in the Windows Update panel in Win10's Settings, it tells me I am missing some requirements for Win11 and directs me to the PC Health app.......and the PC Health app shows green all across the board and that I'm eligible to upgrade. this is all very cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

If people haven't realized this new virtualized security bs is perfect for creating a DRM platform that is uncrackable. Imagine porting a game from Xbox to pc. Now you can be assured those dirty pirates arn't going to hack your game and throw it on piratebay.

That is true, it also means working anti-cheat so there can be real benefits. I think microsoft is more concerned about corporate users, windows is the official crypto locker OS.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

barnold posted:

lol not that I have plans to upgrade right away but in the Windows Update panel in Win10's Settings, it tells me I am missing some requirements for Win11 and directs me to the PC Health app.......and the PC Health app shows green all across the board and that I'm eligible to upgrade. this is all very cool and good
It did that to me too, and then at some point it stopped doing that like an hour later.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Is there any word from MS if processor compatibility will be extended to allow additional/older processors? I run a Core i7-6700HQ and don't think it's that old.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rusty posted:

It did that to me too, and then at some point it stopped doing that like an hour later.

the good news is that I booted into the BIOS just to double-check everything and while everything related to TPM/UEFI/Secure Boot was set properly.....I discovered that somehow my RAM configuration reset itself and my four sticks of DDR4-3200 were instead running at 2666, so uh, thanks Microsoft for having me go into my BIOS I guess :toot:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant imagine how windows itself could have changed your RAM speed

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Installed on two systems so far.

Last night on my desktop (first gen Ryzen 5, with a first gen Asus b350 motherboard). Asus released a BIOS update specifically for Windows 11 last week. No issues at all. It's actually the first time that Windows has detected my multi-monitor setup before I got the driver for my video card installed. Windows Store and background updates sucked my bandwidth dry for about half an hour, but that's pretty standard.

Today I tossed it on a first gen Surface Pro. I had to go into what it calls a BIOS and turn on TPM and Secure Boot, but it didn't have an issue either. It does seem to be running a bit warmer than it did on Win10, but that could just be the bump from the install and it doing all the behind the scenes setup and shuffle.

So far, I kinda like it. The lack of the clock on every monitor is annoying as gently caress, and you can't shift+click on something on the task bar to open another version (have to right-click and select it from the menu) which is also annoying as gently caress.

The new right-click menu's take a second to get used to, but I do rather like it. So far I haven't had to google how to find something, though a few things are in some sub-menu's that do seem like they were tossed in instead of thought out.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

codo27 posted:

I cant imagine how windows itself could have changed your RAM speed

i....didn't blame Windows for changing my RAM speed? i said going into my BIOS to check that AMD fTPM was enabled is what caused me to notice the RAM configuration lol

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Koskun posted:

Today I tossed it on a first gen Surface Pro. I had to go into what it calls a BIOS and turn on TPM and Secure Boot, but it didn't have an issue either. It does seem to be running a bit warmer than it did on Win10, but that could just be the bump from the install and it doing all the behind the scenes setup and shuffle.

Thats useful because I was weary if it would work on my SP3 and thought it might just have to be relegated to W10 forever. I'll install it on that tonight.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
When openshell or startisback can give me the old start menu back I'll jump to 11
It looks like it mostly works already.

I also use official power toys Mac OS like alt+space then type to run programs so I don't even use the start menu hardly.

Also I will give the new way a shot first. I hated gesture navigation on Android pixels but It's grown on me.

Windows users are weird, but I've been with it since dos/3.1

The store and Xbox centric apps are the laggiest lovely apps on my PC, that's pretty amazing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked live tiles but you only saw them for a second, they were a nice idea but ultimately redundant.

I like the new start menu, there are more quick program shortcuts than on 7 and recent files are a useful addition. The only thing I'd change is taking the options you get when right clicking the start button and bolting them to the side of the start menu.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Are Android Apps able to be installed yet?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nah.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Did you try waiting a few hours? I'm serious.

I tried a few times, but it still has the same problem.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I loved live tiles too, then I realized all I really used them for was traffic and weather at-a-glance, and the little taskbar bug serves that same purpose while making the weather even more accessible than before. Win-win situation

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Holy poo poo it's taking at least twice as long to install on my desktop (Ryzen 2600) as on my laptop (Ryzen 5 3500U)!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
By volume.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's unfortunate that they apparently bundled network and volume into one item in the system tray. I really don't need to know the network status on my desktop all the time.

OgNar posted:

By volume.

...What?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Win 11 is definitely faster at general poo poo than 10. I dunno if they removed animation delays or wtf but its snappy and nice. I like this..

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There's some bat file on GitHub that is supposed to install Windows 11 even if your computer doesn't support it and even with that it still doesn't work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is there a way to change the width of taskbar ... buttons? Window labels? I'm not sure what to call them, to be honest, because everything I've tried has resulted in suggestions about icons, which isn't what I'm looking for. Ever since a recent update, windows has been making the ... whatever this is ... considerably wider than it should be/ever was before. I have a widescreen monitor and these things are 7 freakin' inches wide. They do eventually start getting smaller at 4+ windows open, but it's really weird. In case it's not totally obvious, the arrows are at the edges of the (label?) for one window.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Krakkles posted:

Is there a way to change the width of taskbar ... buttons? Window labels? I'm not sure what to call them, to be honest, because everything I've tried has resulted in suggestions about icons, which isn't what I'm looking for. Ever since a recent update, windows has been making the ... whatever this is ... considerably wider than it should be/ever was before. I have a widescreen monitor and these things are 7 freakin' inches wide. They do eventually start getting smaller at 4+ windows open, but it's really weird. In case it's not totally obvious, the arrows are at the edges of the (label?) for one window.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but this is hilarious. From what I've seen it is truly impressive how badly Microsoft mangled the taskbar.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

There's some bat file on GitHub that is supposed to install Windows 11 even if your computer doesn't support it and even with that it still doesn't work.

Worked for me, I just finished installing a Windows 11 image on my wife's 2013 Toshiba laptop, which is running an Ivy Bridge CPU and of course has no TPM or secure boot support.

Where did you get stuck?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't mean to be insensitive, but this is hilarious. From what I've seen it is truly impressive how badly Microsoft mangled the taskbar.

That's windows 10

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Does anyone know how to reduce/remove the background blur when alt-tabbing?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, not laughing at your expense, either, but it is amazing to me how hosed up my (admittedly anecdotal) user experience is just from the taskbar and start menu changes. That was two of the things I actually thought they had perfected and could’ve moved on afterwards.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

What's the verdict so far? I went ahead and changed my group policy so I don't wake up to a nasty surprise of a lovely taskbar and who knows what else no longer working, but I'm curious what else they screwed up.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

So far, I kinda like it. The lack of the clock on every monitor is annoying as gently caress, and you can't shift+click on something on the task bar to open another version (have to right-click and select it from the menu) which is also annoying as gently caress.

Everything else about Windows 11 is fine so far but this is annoying the gently caress out of me too. There is no option for it and I can't seem to find a working regedit to fix it either. Who the gently caress doesn't want to see the time on a secondary monitor? Or at least have a toggle for it? What a silly, stupid change.

It's otherwise very snappy and performant, all of my games/apps work flawlessly and I don't mind the other new taskbar stuff. The new start menu is fine, not that I will ever use it anyway.

But seriously what the gently caress, give me a clock on secondary displays.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been using grouped icons since windows 7 (the other way creates way too much clutter), so honestly the only thing that bothers me about windows 11 is explorer's new context menu. Otherwise it's fine.

edit: also yes, them removing the clock from the second monitor is very dumb.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Hunter Noventa posted:

What's the verdict so far? I went ahead and changed my group policy so I don't wake up to a nasty surprise of a lovely taskbar and who knows what else no longer working, but I'm curious what else they screwed up.
I think it's faster and has some UI elements I like better and also that it remembers how windows are arranged for each monitor is seriously great, so in that respect I like it. If I could just get my taskbar icons small and have better spacing, and maybe let me do what I want with the tray, I would be all good. I think it really feels like a reskinned windows 10 in a lot of ways, down to window behavior. I also just wish they would clean up all their dialogues and make them one theme. When you dig down, like Windows 10, you still get the old dialogues that have been there since Windows 7 or earlier.

Edit: Also for god's sake, give me a second hand on the clock.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hunter Noventa posted:

The new features are so far and few between. Most of the new things benefits Microsoft, not you as the consumer. Its maybe the least exciting launch since windows ME.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wiltsghost posted:

That's windows 10

Ah, well at this point if I see something terrible in a screenshot of the taskbar, especially in this thread, I assume it's Windows 11.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have there been any improvements to WSL2 that wouldn’t be in 10?

I didn’t see any mention in the reviews I saw and searching directly just seems to bring up SEO blog spam.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hunter Noventa posted:

i can't find the modern File History 'Backup' page but the old school windows 7 backup and file history are still in the old control panel. Not a huge deal I guess.

Is no one noticing how drat quick it is at gui things and loading apps?

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Hed posted:

I didn’t see any mention in the reviews I saw and searching directly just seems to bring up SEO blog spam.

GUI apps (X11 and Wayland) should now just work without having to install Xming or something.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hunter Noventa posted:

What group policy did you change and what does it do?

Thing that grinds my gears is that you can't click and drag something into an icon in the taskbar, even from folder to folder. Bullshit.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 6, 2021

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Hed posted:

In addition to gui apps, I’ve read that it now supports CUDA. So if you want to fool with machine learning like tensorflow and pytorch you can get GPU acceleration in WSL2 now. It’s pretty great for that use case and is the main thing making me want to jump in to W11 now.

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 6, 2021

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What group policy did you change and what does it do?

Thing that grinds my gears is that you can't click and drag something into an icon in the taskbar, even from folder to folder. Bullshit.

These are the steps I followed-

quote:

Open the Start Menu.
Type gpedit.msc and load the Group Policy Editor once it is displayed in the search results.
Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business
Double-click on “Select the target feature update version”.
Set the policy to Enabled.
Type 21H1 into the field.
Close the Group Policy Editor.

21H1 is the most current version of Windows 10, and is to be supported through the end of 2022.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love the macOS-style taskbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hmm, the Windows Update for Business part isn't there for me. I tried it in another section but it didn't do anything.