Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
OP-1 trip report: I can see how the thing would be polarizing but I think I got lucky. Now that I’ve moved from learning the features to sampling and recording tracks I’m having a great time. I’m starting to get a bit of muscle memory for jumping around synth engines, tweaking them, laying them on tape, trimming it (deleting it 90% if the time) and just grooving on something while the beat loops.

I’m really glad I got one. I’m getting lost in this thing like I would a good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Behold my alter to fart noises.

See the money I've wasted.

Thousands of dollars of eurorack modules on a $20 card table.

Not a penny wasted :hai:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Behold my alter to fart noises.

See the money I've wasted.

Please tell me you sample that Otamatone.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

These racks look so pretty yet so expensive.

Don't know if this is a synth-specific question, but I'm working my way backwards from some tracks I like to understand how they work, and I'm trying to figure out what this one track is doing:

https://voca.ro/1VPBO9gffmc1

That characteristic "tck" for the patch doesn't play for every note, almost as if it's sometimes skipping the attack phase. I don't know what effect that is or how to replicate it elsewhere. I tried replicating the track, but as you can see it repeats that "tck" for every note-on. I have no idea how to not do that.

Is this a known thing? If so, what's the name for it and how do I do it?

Oh yeah, and

This is pretty loving nuts, by the way. Being able to grab the patches directly from the Genesis makes them way less of a pain to analyze, especially when I can put them in a VST. Good tip!!!!

Flipperwaldt has the right of it, what you're hearing is why people like monophonic synths despite polyphonic ones being able to play more notes. A synth being restricted to one note at a time means it can do fun glides and slides to them if they overlap.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm thinking about getting another 303ish synth because I like the sound so more is better.

A friend was going to sell me a TB-03 but I moved too slowly and it was sold already. Before just getting one on reverb are there any other neat 303 like synths that I should look into? Preferably in the same price range.

The Volcas are a little too small for my taste for this scenario and if I go for a Behringer clone I'd rather wait for their new revision.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Might be an issue with RYM2612 then, cause I have POLY set to 1 and it still retriggers from attack when keying on before another key on the same instrument has not keyed off. The output on the VST doesn't show any blips in the note-on light, so it's not somehow keying off.

...But, some tinkering revealed that RYM2612 can in fact do legato when monophonic, so it's not the VST. I can also more-or-less replicate that behavior by setting polyphony to 1 and keying the same instrument on in a completely separate parallel track, which requires me to pepper key-offs everywhere.

It looks like that's actually the intended way to do legato (which appears to be what this effect is called) in Renoise. In order for legato to happen, some notes have to overlap, and it looks like there's implicit key-off here:

Annoying, but good to know for the future.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

In a tracker environment you'd probably explicitly trigger legato by adding something in the fx column next to the new note, I'm guessing.

E: maybe this only applies to samples, I don't know how it would communicate that to vsts.

E2: looking at the fx command list, you could insert instant glides for example as a substitute, but for samples only :(

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 6, 2021

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

net work error posted:

I'm thinking about getting another 303ish synth because I like the sound so more is better.

A friend was going to sell me a TB-03 but I moved too slowly and it was sold already. Before just getting one on reverb are there any other neat 303 like synths that I should look into? Preferably in the same price range.

The Volcas are a little too small for my taste for this scenario and if I go for a Behringer clone I'd rather wait for their new revision.

Wait for the modded out behringers to drop, or just get a td3 and mod it yourself

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I suspect Renoise only provides a way to do that manually. Not a huge problem, but it does make me think about how to do this in other DAWs (though I don't know what other options I'd have - trackers are pretty easy to understand, and other DAWs...aren't).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

net work error posted:

In terms of 303 options - if you want an authentic sounding 303, the Behringer TD-3 is by far the best price/performance. It basically sounds exactly like some particular 303 might (they all sound a bit different because lol tolerances). Other options for very faithful repros are the Cyclone Analogic TT-303 or the Avalon Bassline - both are WAY more expensive.

In terms of 303-adjacent, you have things like the Behringer 101 clone (I think the MS-1 is what it's called?) which is a passable not but exact 101 clone. The Roland boutique (I think it's SH-01A?) is also reportedly very good. If you have a Eurorack setup, the Intellijel Atlantis is not a clone persay but very reminiscent of an SH-101 voice. Also in Eurorack you have the Roland/Malekko System 500 stuff which includes the 510 Synth voice - not a 101 clone but Roland and from the era so you'll get a lot of tones you hear in the more modern Acid stuff. Same with the Behringer 110 synth voice. The Malekko Manther is also inspired by the 101/202 sound and (sort of) workflow.

An original Roland MC-202 is still somewhat affordable compared to an SH-101 or obviously a TB-303, although it has some obvious caveats being a 40 year old piece of poorly built plastic and electronics.

toadee fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 6, 2021

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Just get a BassStation 2, it does everything the roland boxes do but better.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Looks more like a Pico RND (which is a super useful module in only 3hp)

haha you're right. I'm dum.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

If you're looking at 101 type things, maybe consider an MS-20? It's not a 303 but neither is a 101.

For pure transistor bass action it seems hard to beat the Behringer one these days

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

JamesKPolk posted:

If you're looking at 101 type things, maybe consider an MS-20? It's not a 303 but neither is a 101.

For pure transistor bass action it seems hard to beat the Behringer one these days

The reason I brought up the 101/202 type synths is it's in a ton of Acid tracks and is generally part of "the sound" people are looking for.

Like even if you're a hardcore old Acid purist it's all over the place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSaanHyWXww

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hadn't considered a 101 clone, that's a good idea. I'll take a look at some of those and see if I like them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm voting bass station 2. wanted one for years

or shake it up and get the SH 01A

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Can anyone help me with an OP-1 question?

I have a guitar I'd like to get into it for sampling/noodling purposes and I have a few questions.

1. I have an iRig HD2, can I use this as a modeling/FX unit and run the guitar into the line in using a 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter from the amp output or do I want to go from the headphones out?
2. If I want to noodle around on top of what I've recorded to tape is it possible to just monitor the sound coming from the Guitar/iRig?

Chaining I was thinking was:

Guitar -> iRigHD2 (amplitube on iPhone for modelling/FX) -> OP-1 Line in, adjust gain as needed. Then Headphones coming from my OP-1 to hear everything.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Thousands of dollars of eurorack modules on a $20 card table.

Not a penny wasted :hai:

It was 17 dollars, bub.

Rolo posted:

Please tell me you sample that Otamatone.

Got it before the eurorack, the nicer model I don't have has an aux out.

So not at the moment, but that's a good idea.

Plan is to eventually drop the control units into a 3U skiff and then get 64HP back.

Can't wait for the new SSF drum module and thinking about getting a metropolix - need to see how treating the deluge as the master sequencer goes.

Had a Westlicht Per|former, but it just didn't jive with me. Want something a tad more performance oriented.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 6, 2021

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Pollyanna posted:

https://youtu.be/1lI7hvKEr7M

I am in awe at how many sounds I thought were baked into music that actually just naturally arose from the interaction between two instruments. The drums in this track are simple, and the baseline in this track is often just an oscillation between two notes, but when you put them together (especially with the other channels) all of a sudden it becomes complex and it turns out that no, the baseline is not complicated at all.

That is a choice link. :allears:

I'm starting to have the same thoughts about my own music: Lots of simple things can combine into more interesting layers better than a bunch of things that are all as complicated as can be. I think learning how to sequence on Volcas and Circuit got me into a headspace where every single sixteenth note has to have something, but that was really just making clutter.

Here's a song I wrote last week. I had to consciously slow down and make space in the arrangement multiple times. The original sketch had the drums in double time, and the sung verses stacked up on each other without any space for the Monotron. I'm still fighting the urge, but I'm pleased with the results.

https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/track/eigengrau

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

toadee posted:

The reason I brought up the 101/202 type synths is it's in a ton of Acid tracks and is generally part of "the sound" people are looking for.

Like even if you're a hardcore old Acid purist it's all over the place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSaanHyWXww

Oh totally! And they're extremely dope synths. I mentioned the MS-20 because it shows up in those old school tracks almost as much as the other two, especially if you're not looking just at bouncing square/saw resonant basslines (like the track you linked is acid but like...), and it tends to get overlooked because not everyone knows about it in that context.

It also does more of what I like about the 303 than the 101 does (it's versatile but a little sterile) but thats a very individual judgement.

Lol just as a comment on the mercurial nature of genres I hear Computer Madness way more in old school Goa mixes these days than like purist acid/UK rave stuff. But I mean that probably has more to do with trying to extract novelty out of a scene thats 30 years old and counting (both of them) than any statement on the track itself

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nobody ACTUALLY knows how to program an FM synth patch. You just sit down thinking "hmm maybe I'll make a trumpet today" and five algorithms, 40 pages of scribbled notes, and a newly-developed headache later, you have another loving bell.

So Math posted:

That is a choice link. :allears:

I'm starting to have the same thoughts about my own music: Lots of simple things can combine into more interesting layers better than a bunch of things that are all as complicated as can be. I think learning how to sequence on Volcas and Circuit got me into a headspace where every single sixteenth note has to have something, but that was really just making clutter.

Here's a song I wrote last week. I had to consciously slow down and make space in the arrangement multiple times. The original sketch had the drums in double time, and the sung verses stacked up on each other without any space for the Monotron. I'm still fighting the urge, but I'm pleased with the results.

https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/track/eigengrau

Yeah, it's fascinating when you break a song down into its individual components. It feels like a miracle that all these pieces actually make something at the end. Almost like a noneuclidean jigsaw puzzle.

I think it makes your song really easy to listen to, too!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

just keep at it. maybe start with a smaller set of operators. you can do a lot with just 2 operators. yamaha had great success selling 2 op keyboards in the 80s. start adding more operators when you're happy with your programming ability

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was going algorithm-by-algorithm, but ascending operator count is actually a lot smarter. :v: And yeah there's a stupid amount of sounds you can make with just two operators.

edit: Like, uh, this! Whatever this is. Iunno, a steel drum?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 7, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Many of the patches that use 8 operators use like 2-4 to do a quick transient sound one shot and then the rest to do a more slowly evolving sustain (or two), the DX7 is just as much about the envelopes as it is the oscillators themselves

Pollyanna posted:

edit: Like, uh, this! Whatever this is. Iunno, a steel drum?

Dope

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I'm realizing that it really does kinda boil down to the same stuff in other synths. Break the sound down, characterize its harmonics, whip up an envelope to match. FM is just a different way of generating the waveform you want.

I don't fully understand it, but there's some logic behind it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve found plenty of guides telling me all about FM but nothing really laying out any kind of groundwork and saying “use these principles for these kinds of sounds”.

Or maybe there aren’t tried and true methods to get digital piano sounds in particular, you just guess a lot.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The reface has been brilliant for me understanding fm. I had a digit one in the past but it was more on rails if that makes sense. I think the envelope display on the reface has helped me figure out programming fm a lot

Still don’t really get the feedback param tho

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

echinopsis posted:

I’ve found plenty of guides telling me all about FM but nothing really laying out any kind of groundwork and saying “use these principles for these kinds of sounds”.

Or maybe there aren’t tried and true methods to get digital piano sounds in particular, you just guess a lot.

This guy is great at explaining bass patches and only bass patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XbrTC0NndM

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Fm programming just lends itself to piano patches I feel like.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FM can make some loving phenomenal sounds.

https://youtu.be/D97nGS1hi-4

https://youtu.be/WDrsxKsE7Ro

https://youtu.be/zCUZ0vWQaZ8

https://youtu.be/1Gv1B3Byw5s

https://youtu.be/dOvfINPELDg

https://youtu.be/URWNqs7FEXA

I just don’t know how to replicate them or use them, and the patches are either closely-guarded secrets or require decompiling a Genesis ROM.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 7, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Don’t worry about all that. Are you composing a song?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would like to! Not that I expect to be any good at it. But I do want to at least try. That said, I won’t say no to generating some cool beeps and boops - but the most striking they’ve ever been have been when they play off of each other, and that requires experimentation, experience, and exposure.

(Technically, I have composed something. It just wasn’t very good or even all that long. I should revisit it once I get better at mixing and production.)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What context are you playing music? Do you usually fill a certain role in a group?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Solo. I have ideas for music tracks now and then and I want to get good at putting them on paper, then in a tracker or DAW, then release when good-enough. I’m not in a band or anything, but making music is so accessible these days that I figured I’d try my hand.

I understand that it’s highly unlikely I’ll make anything of note,but at least I might get this stuff out of my head.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

This guy is great at explaining bass patches and only bass patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XbrTC0NndM

Perfect. I’ll watch later but this is exactly what I am
looking for.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I just recently got an Akemie's Castle, which is an FM oscillator for eurorack, and it very quickly became one of my favorite pieces of gear. I've accidentally gotten sounds resembling acoustic instruments, but I find it really fun to explore and see what comes out. I've never had the patience for typical FM synths, so the modular form is perfect for me, and I think gives me a better feel for what to do if I ever try dexed again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only problem with my MPC1000 so far is that I'm worried about longevity of a 15 year old device that I'm physically hitting all the time. I kind of want to pick up a second one like some kind of obsessive hoarder :ohdear:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
They made a trillion of them and parts are still available for the LinnDrum. Just saying.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eh, good point.

Incidentally, I just checked eBay and like -- nearly every unit is coming from Japan. What a weird data point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

echinopsis posted:

Perfect. I’ll watch later but this is exactly what I am
looking for.

It's pretty good, actually. Video Guy's advice pretty much breaks down to the following:

1. Identify the different parts, which he calls "layers", of the sound you're trying to make. This benefits from becoming intimately familiar with the sound of whatever instrument you're trying to replicate. For example, for a bass guitar, knowing that there's a beginning percussive "chk" part when the bass is first struck, then a relatively quick decaying high-resonance part (what is resonance?), then a long-term sustaining resonant part that stays at roughly the same level, then finally an ending part that decays quickly from medium resonance to silence. (Interestingly enough, his assessment matches up with the ADSR of a bass guitar. hmmmm :thunk:)

2. Come up with your own algorithm based off of the parts you identified. For example, for a bass guitar, you'd need to combine at least four oscillators:

• The first, "chk" part would need to be percussive in some way, so that suggests at least one modulator and one carrier, with the modulator getting feedback. (Don't ask me how I know this, Video Guy just said that's the case for percussion.)
  • The second, decaying resonant part would need to be resonant with some brightness, which Video Guy says also calls for feedback. (I disagree, you can totally get brightness without feedback.) That also implies one modulator and one carrier, with the modulator optionally getting feedback.
  • The third, long-lasting resonant part is pretty constant and takes the form of any typical bass patch, so anything other than a simple sine wave is enough. One modulator, one carrier.
  • The final, quickly-decaying sound apparently doesn't need to be anything more complex than a sine wave, which I don't understand - isn't it meant to go from somewhat resonant to not-resonant? That would imply a resonance matching part 3. Am I making it too complicated? Regardless, he says it only needs one carrier.

Which results in this algorithm:

3. Pare your algorithm down to something reasonable. That algorithm above, for example, isn't available on a 6op let alone a 4op. So, you'll have to condense it somehow. I'm not sure how to do this, myself, but Video Guy does this:

• Part 1 ("chk") and part 2 are nearly identical, so they can be combined if you're willing to meet halfway on the desired feedback. So, combine "chk" and part 2 into one stack. That brings us to 5op, which is doable on the DX7 but not the DX11 or OPN line.
  • Part 4 is very simple, being characterized entirely by a quick decay on a static, non-evolving sound. It doesn't actually add much to the sound other than it representing its quick decay once you let go of the key. This can be rolled into part 3 by just defining a quick release decay on part 3. That brings us to 4op, which basically any FM synth can handle.

Which results in Algorithm 5, which I'm sure you've seen before:

And indeed, if you load up Algorithm 5 and set all the operators to an initial state, it does sound bass-y right out of the box. It seems like a good fit!

So now we have one percussive, highly resonant 2op, and one moderately resonant, quick-release 2op. Easy enough.

4. Determine the envelopes for your modulators and carriers. The envelopes for the carriers are straightforward, since they characterize the volume of the sound:

• Carrier 1 (op1) needs to be punchy and therefore both immediately come online and reach max, and quickly reach a moderate resonance. It also needs to remain at roughly the same level before quickly silencing on key-off. op1 gets a quick attack rate, a relatively quick decay rate, a moderate sustain level, and a quick release rate.
  • Carrier 2 (op3), due to its role as both a percussive sound (old part 1) and a long-lived moderate resonance (old part 2), will need to evolve in an identical manner to op1 over time. op3 gets the same envelope as op1.

...but I'm less sure about the envelopes for the modulators, which characterize the evolution of the resonance of each part over time.

At this point, we'd have to go back and think about the sound of a bass guitar again. If we listen to it, it starts from dull (for a split second), then quickly reaches spikiness, then mellows out over a period of time before completely going away once the sound fades out. I like to do something silly and actually try and replicate the sound with my own voice, and a bass guitar sounds something like "puh-ehhh-ahhhhhhhh-ooo".

So it's kind of like the carrier waves' envelope, with a slightly longer attack rate, longer decay rate for sure, and what appears to be a similar release rate. Video Guy concurs, but extends the release rate a little in comparison.

• Modulator 1 (op2) needs to be somewhat punchy and therefore both come online relatively quickly and reach max, then moderately taper off to a moderate resonance. It also needs to remain at roughly the same level before somewhat quickly silencing on key-off. op2 gets a somewhat quick attack rate, a moderate decay rate, a moderate sustain level, and a somewhat quick release rate.
  • Nothing about Modulator 2 (op4) suggests that it should behave any differently - at least, as far as I can tell - so we can just use the same envelope as op2.

Which leaves us with these envelopes:

5. Figure out your feedback (on op4 in our case). I have no idea what feedback even does or why we use it, so I'll just defer to Video Guy here. In the case of the bass patch, the feedback will provide a percussive element to stack 2. We want a decent amount of percussion for the "chk", but not so much that we lose out on all the resonance after it in stack 2. Video Guy splits the difference and sticks feedback at something like 50%.

6. Finetune. Now you can sit down at your synth and press buttons.

This step differs from patch maker to patch maker, and it's where you get to be picky about envelopes and levels and such. You're basically improvising this step. The patch by this point is pretty good already, and just needs extra bells and whistles and personal touches. This is where having a clear mental picture of the sound you're looking for, as well as a clear understanding of FM synth basics, becomes particularly important.

With your algorithms, envelopes, and feedback programmed, tweak:

• Frequency ratios (think about the harmonics of the sound and how you want it to look on the spectrum view, then explore :shrug:)
  • Detunes (tune each operator slightly differently to try and even out the coverage of the harmonic range - this is where the spectrum view is REALLY handy)
  • Total levels (carriers should be straightforward but the modulators are a mystery to me, sorry)
  • Envelope parameters (finicky bullshit)
  • Whatever else you feel like (as long as it doesn't deviate too far from the plan)

---

And then, you'll have a decent-sounding patch! I think.

Some questions I still have:

- What exactly is "resonance" in this case? How do we characterize it?
- What exactly does detuning do? IME it seems to even out the harmonic range from a few high peaks to a lot of moderately sized peaks, and is what provides "full" sound.
- How do total levels matter on modulators, and what am I trying to achieve with them?