Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Climate change children of men is already covered, it's called children of men.

Just replace 'mysterious stoppage in births' with 'plastic' and it's seamless. Even Brexit is accounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CODChimera posted:

we need a "threads" but for climate change. and not one of hollywood disaster movies, more like children of men

It wouldn't do any good.

"It's not going to happen to me, at least, not in my lifetime." :downs:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It wouldn't do any good.

Narrator: It happened in their lifetime

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i'm fairly confident that Quietus will be available in my lifetime

bonus points if it's freely distributed by the government on request

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

It'll be airdropped from a b52

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It wouldn't do any good.

yeah but it would be funny

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sedisp posted:

Yeah but only at the very end

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Got showed an article celebrating that Tunas are swimming into the Baltic sea again. The Baltic is pretty much dead already and they're going there to find food.

Lol

Lmao

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mola Yam posted:

why would capital want to kill off labor and give them an easy out

milk them for all they're worth and we'll see 7 c change in our life time for sure

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There is always more and it is always exploitable.

Besides, we're neglecting the Tank Girl future where people routinely have their water sucked out of them punitively.

Sedisp posted:

I keep trying to convince my parents to invest in at least a month's worth of shelf-stable food as a hedge against supply issues, but Boomers really don't want to imagine a life where they'll need to show up at a supermarket at ~3am for the slimmest chance of procuring food for the week.

Oh well, think of the FRIENDS you'll make in that line, wondering who's concealed carrying, whether you'll be accosted and robbed by gangs...I CAN'T WAIT! :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 08:03 on Oct 6, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I keep trying to convince my parents to invest in at least a month's worth of shelf-stable food as a hedge against supply issues, but Boomers really don't want to imagine a life where they'll need to show up at a supermarket at ~3am for the slimmest chance of procuring food for the week.

Oh well, think of the FRIENDS you'll make in that line, wondering who's concealed carrying, whether you'll be accosted and robbed by gangs...I CAN'T WAIT! :shepface:

Yeah I feel you. My parents live in California and have zero intentions of ever moving.

drat Gavin and his forest management.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

maybe.... poo poo will have to be completely hosed beyond belief by that point tho

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CODChimera posted:

maybe.... poo poo will have to be completely hosed beyond belief by that point tho

I have complete faith in the fact that any suicide pills distributed in the US will have to go through your health insurance policy.

I mean, Children of Men was in the UK. It might've been post-Apocalyptic but the NHS still probably covered it.

"Generic euthanasia options are unreliable! Quietus is a proven solution for a dignified end to a miserable existence. Quietus is a lethal medication. Do not take Quietus if for some inexplicable reason you wish to remain alive. If you cannot afford Quietus, AstraZeneca may be able to help."

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Raine posted:

Corpse SPAM > [Biosphere Collapse] Small Nuclear War Could Reverse Global Warming for Years

kater
Nov 16, 2010

prolly just some more overly optimistic experts

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

kater posted:

prolly just some more overly optimistic experts

Yeah. If people choose not to roll up their sleeves and find and support Democrats willing to improve our climate policy, that's on them. Once they're elected, then we can hold them accountable. The only two realistic options are to do nothing, or to find Democratic candidates who take climate change seriously and vote them into office and do the work of holding them accountable.

edit - Basically, better things are just over the horizon. If people choose not to work for them, that's on them.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
when people talk about holding politicians accountable they should also list all of the times politicians have been held accountable in the past 20 years

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

rime moving his thumb off the medicine label and realizing his dose of copium was actually an extra strength dose of hopium

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah i'm sure the democrats will be able to do something lol

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Rime posted:

Yeah. If people choose not to roll up their sleeves and find and support Democrats willing to improve our climate policy, that's on them. Once they're elected, then we can hold them accountable. The only two realistic options are to do nothing, or to find Democratic candidates who take climate change seriously and vote them into office and do the work of holding them accountable.

edit - Basically, better things are just over the horizon. If people choose not to work for them, that's on them.

Sharkie is doing an extremely good bit since the rest of the thread still doesn't get that it's a bit.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

when people talk about holding politicians accountable they should also list all of the times politicians have been held accountable in the past 20 years

gently caress, expand it to 50 and exclude anyone who got caught by outright saying "yes I am taking bribes"

something something brazilification

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I wrote my senator to stop climate change... it doesn't take much people!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I wrote my senator he's the one who drank fracking fluid and he just wrote back:

gently caress you

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
real talk my senator is the one who advocated fiercely to have f-35 training flights every day and night over the biggest city in Vermont, so gently caress that guy

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
rime has gone from best doom poster to good satire poster. a very versatile man.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i searched my email to find the last time i tried mailing to my senator about something, and it was a stock reply from both senators telling me how ajit pai is good, actually, and getting rid of net neutrality is good for plucky little internet providers who could never hope to give everyone fair internet access

lol

lmao

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

guess i should've voted for....

ah, they both ran unopposed!

well, nevertheless,

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

Rime you're a good SA poster

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Canadian Professor of climate science quits her job to rededicate herself to lmao:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/first-person-climate-change-education-support-young-people-1.6186611

quote:

I have enjoyed my nearly 15 years of teaching students about geology, earth systems science, climate literacy and the present human-caused climate and ecological crises in my time at John Abbott College on the island of Montreal. My interactions with them have by far been the most rewarding part of my job.

I will miss them, and miss seeing that spark of excitement when they've learned something new. However, it is clear to me now that teaching young people about these crises without a cohesive, science-informed institutional and cultural framework of climate-literate support does them more harm than good. Let me explain.

I arrived at this conclusion after many months of reflection, informed by teaching thousands of students about what the best available science predicts for their futures. Climate science consensus tells us that the world must reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 45 per cent of 2010 levels by the year 2030 in order to have a 66 per cent chance of avoiding a cascade of extreme climate events that will be unstoppable within their lifetimes.

At present, countries have pledged to reduce emissions by a global total of 0.5 per cent by 2030.

We (privileged people in wealthy countries) have a very short window of opportunity to take decisive, systemic action to avert the worst consequences of climate breakdown. Not only do our current emissions targets put us far behind where we need to be, our province's 50-year-old education system lacks the support our students need to face this reality.

Teaching this to an 18 year old is like telling them that they have cancer, then ushering them out the door, saying "sorry, good luck with that."

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Logging on today with a sudden 30 new messages in the other thread. Oh boy, I'm saving those for last.

the quiet comprehending of the ending of it all

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Decades posted:

Canadian Professor of climate science quits her job to rededicate herself to lmao:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/first-person-climate-change-education-support-young-people-1.6186611

Love a good crack ping.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Biosphere Collapse: sorry, good luck with that

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Decades posted:

"It is also fundamentally unfair and unjust for us — part of the generations that have benefitted from unmitigated resource extraction and emissions — to drop the responsibility to fix (or adapt to) the climate crisis in their young laps."

We already tried 50+ years of misinformation and ignoring the problem, but lets keep doing it because i don't want to hurt their feelings of the poor kids. its much better if they blindly stumble into the apocalypse.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

~smol~ nuclear war. and then it just stops.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
It's true that sitting on a university campus with tenure isn't doing fuckall to encourage regime change such that carbon emissions can actually be stopped. Hope she actually does something

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Decades posted:

quote:

The younger generations need to hear from us that they are not alone, that we'll work for them to mitigate emissions as quickly as possible. They need us to demonstrate that we will give up some of our own security and privilege in a system that is not adapting to the demands of the scientific consensus on the climate emergency, in order to change that system.
Sounds like the kids are coming to accurate conclusions about their prospects and she doesn't like teaching that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i dunno, i'd be curious to see what her proposed rejiggering of the teaching model to be about "climate literacy" was before making claims like that

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sharkie posted:

Yeah I mean even BP is doing something. They've committed to

https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/what-we-do/gas-and-low-carbon-energy.html

Which is far, far more than the doomers who think that there's no way to meaningfully address climate change have done. If you think there's no way for our current system to mitigate the worst effects of climate change, then congrats, you're playing right into the hands of the people most responsible for it. Could bp be doing more? Sure. But they could also be doing a lot less. So you can either support these efforts or just throw your hands in the air and give up.

The next few years will be crucial. Now is the time to get to work.

i popped over to d&d's climate thread and laughed at that post. pretty deranged to be lauding BP as "doing something good"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

mediaphage posted:

i dunno, i'd be curious to see what her proposed rejiggering of the teaching model to be about "climate literacy" was before making claims like that

I literally quoted from her article where she wants to teach kids several things that aren't even slightly true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Complications posted:

I literally quoted from her article where she wants to teach kids several things that aren't even slightly true.

i didn’t really get that from this article. she mentions that then some things “they need to hear” which is true in the context of these things need to happen but currently aren’t.