Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wasn’t the politics of the new republic more like a 50/50 two state system between the non-fasc empire government structure and the free republic now somehow co-existing? I imagine coruscant would remain mainly empire leaning so the republic would need a different hub
Maybe, the sequels weren't particularly forthcoming with details on the state of the galaxy and I couldn't really be arsed to look up whatever contrived scenario they'd devised. From what I understand, however, the concept of the First Order came from the idea of the Nazis who fled to Brazil actually getting organised while keeping a low profile, and going all-in on technical superiority so that they could eventually take over again. It's kind of difficult to imagine half the galaxy still being essentially loyal to the Empire of yore, but the First Order existing besides that as this dubious but seemingly impotent remnant of the old power structure. Regardless, I always thought it was nonsensical that 1) the Resistance essentially had no support at all from the New Republic and 2) the New Republic could be entirely dismantled by blowing up a few planets in one system. How loving small is the galaxy supposed to be by now?

Sash! posted:

I'm sure if you went back 200 hundred years ago and told people that there was a European union and asked them where the capital was... Brussels wouldn't be their first, second, third, fourth, or fifth guess.
It's only been some 30 years since the fall of the Empire, while up to that point Coruscant had been the galactic capital for millennia. There's really no comparison to Brussel emerging as the de facto EU capital in the course of the 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I don't think it's mentioned ever in any of the movies, but it sure as hell looked like Coruscant.

EDIT: Yep, wookiepedie once again to the rescue:

I bet they wanted to blow up Coruscant, but decided after the fact it would impact other future properties and walked it back.

But the beam splitting up never made sense to me. Starkiller can already shoot any planet in the galaxy, having it shoot multiple planets at once is just overkill.

EDIT: I forgot there was a whole cut plotline about Leia sending an envoy to the Republic to warn them. But all that's left of that is a brief shot of a whole bunch of people who are Very Important and who we'd never seen before:

They do say in TFA (I believe by Poe) that it’s Hosnian system that got destroyed, during the briefing for the attack on Starkiller base.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s still pretty loving funny that the idea of erasing an entire planet / system as a cool thing any oppressive regime would actually employ. Like how loving abundant are life sustaining planets in Star Wars or just how easy / good is it to terraform a planet that you can happily blow up moons/planets for political purpose?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There are over 20 million sentient species in Star Wars.

So, I'm going to assume a lot of worlds where people can live.

EDIT: So, went back to wookiepedia again and, drat

quote:

The galaxy was a vast composite of over 400 billion estimated stars and over 3.2 billion habitable systems

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 6, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s still pretty loving funny that the idea of erasing an entire planet / system as a cool thing any oppressive regime would actually employ. Like how loving abundant are life sustaining planets in Star Wars or just how easy / good is it to terraform a planet that you can happily blow up moons/planets for political purpose?

There are potentially millions of habitable planets in Star Wars. At minimum there are tens of thousands. Some systems even have multiple habitable planets around a single star.

It's an extremely fertile galaxy. In Legends the Vong War killed 365 trillion people and less than 20 years later they'd already started recovering and resettling terraformed planets.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sombrerotron posted:

It's only been some 30 years since the fall of the Empire, while up to that point Coruscant had been the galactic capital for millennia. There's really no comparison to Brussel emerging as the de facto EU capital in the course of the 20th century.

More that you don't have to pick the obvious choice or that you might have other factors driving your choice that isn't obvious to the viewer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The easiest explanation is that the sequel films were partially motivated by a violent overreaction to the reception of the prequels.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They literally began with the line "this should begin to put things right."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Coruscant is like New York.

Hosnian Prime was like Washington DC.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There are over 20 million sentient species in Star Wars.

So, I'm going to assume a lot of worlds where people can live.

EDIT: So, went back to wookiepedia again and, drat

And yet everything happens on tattoine

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Azhais posted:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
One of the first things to come out of the Disney EU was the tidbit that the New Republic moves its capitol from system to system every few years. Chandrilla for a few years, then Hosnian Prime, etc. I could never decide if that was incredibly dumb or kinda clever.

I guess if you live in a galaxy traumatized by multiple regimes with planet-destroying superweapons then it makes perfect sense as a reaction to those events.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can I have a show based around starfighter combat? Please?

The Empire is on the verge of success. Soon peace and order will be restored throughout the galaxy. Even now our capable forces led by Darth Vader are striking back at the Rebel insurgents!

We need to stop the Assault Gunboat erasure.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

Can I have a show based around starfighter combat? Please?

The Empire is on the verge of success. Soon peace and order will be restored throughout the galaxy. Even now our capable forces led by Darth Vader are striking back at the Rebel insurgents!

We need to stop the Assault Gunboat erasure.

You’re getting a whole rear end movie about this and it’ll probably be bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You’re getting a whole rear end movie about this and it’ll probably be bad.

I know and I'm annoyed that my Top Gun in Space movie will probably be bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was so optimistic until WW84 came out and literally put me to sleep.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AndyElusive posted:

Coruscant is like New York.

Hosnian Prime was like Washington DC.
Everything is filmed in Space Vancouver. That's why you can't tell them apart.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Azhais posted:

Some sabers are red
Some sabers are blue
Why the hell does everyone
Want to go back to Jakku

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Big Mean Jerk posted:

One of the first things to come out of the Disney EU was the tidbit that the New Republic moves its capitol from system to system every few years. Chandrilla for a few years, then Hosnian Prime, etc. I could never decide if that was incredibly dumb or kinda clever.

I guess if you live in a galaxy traumatized by multiple regimes with planet-destroying superweapons then it makes perfect sense as a reaction to those events.

But also, by that logic, they would have policies in place to deal with the event of a superweapon destroying their capital.

Huh, maybe that's the explanation for how Lando got a zillion ships to follow him in the space of a less than a day - they were already being assembled.

Also, no one came to help the rebellion when they were being wiped out because that wasn't on the doomsday checklist all planets in the Republic are issued. Big red envelopes with "Open in case of Death Star, or similar" on the front.

EDIT: at this point, we've put far more thought into this than Abrahms ever did.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 6, 2021

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But also, by that logic, they would have policies in place to deal with the event of a superweapon destroying their capital.

Huh, maybe that's the explanation for how Lando got a zillion ships to follow him in the space of a less than a day - they were already being assembled.
Unless I remember incorrectly, RoS very strongly implied that no organised response was to be expected, and all the Resistance handful of people left to oppose the First Order and Palps had left was a gigantic hail Mary that the good people of the galaxy would rise up with them at the eleventh hour if they asked them to.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of planets in the Star Wars galaxy, but they're not all equal. Most people writing in the franchise want to tell stories of the bad, lovely planets that haven't been built up much and are way far away from anywhere worth being, so the mid and inner rims are left really unexplored and unelaborated. And of course, not a lot of writers want to revisit worlds established only in other EU works, so there's a lot of worlds that barely get any establishment at all while writers just really gotta keep revisiting things that are somehow connected to the movies (usually just the original trilogy).

And of course, whenever Alderaan gets something written about it, it's one of the best planets in the galaxy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of like how SWTOR handles Alderaan as being so full of snooty noble houses scheming against each other that even the Sith are like "guys, can we stop the backstabbing for FIVE drat MINUTES please?".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

Unless I remember incorrectly, RoS very strongly implied that no organised response was to be expected, and all the Resistance handful of people left to oppose the First Order and Palps had left was a gigantic hail Mary that the good people of the galaxy would rise up with them at the eleventh hour if they asked them to.

The behind the scenes stuff talks about it being a galactic scale version of Dunkirk, which makes you wonder what they would've put in Episode 9 if Christopher Nolan hadn't released a movie about it 2 months before they started writing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

I kind of like how SWTOR handles Alderaan as being so full of snooty noble houses scheming against each other that even the Sith are like "guys, can we stop the backstabbing for FIVE drat MINUTES please?".

Nothing will make you cheer for Alderaan's destruction quite like having to slog through it in SWTOR.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Madurai posted:

Nothing will make you cheer for Alderaan's destruction quite like having to slog through it in SWTOR.
The Bounty Hunter run is great for that, because you can get really far by just punching people until they tell you what you want to know.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
getting into s4 of rebels and i thought it was funny how heroes of mandalore 2 ends with a big ethical dilemma regarding the honor in electrifying the bad guy to death and then after they let him live, they let him die in the ship explosion 10 seconds later anyways lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"As long as they don't die directly by our hand it's okay."
"So we just blow up the entire ship on our way out?"
"Bingo. Chopper, it's all yours."
*maniacal droid laughter*

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

site posted:

getting into s4 of rebels and i thought it was funny how heroes of mandalore 2 ends with a big ethical dilemma regarding the honor in electrifying the bad guy to death and then after they let him live, they let him die in the ship explosion 10 seconds later anyways lol

Plus the whole "Wow, a way to instantly win against hordes of stormtroopers! This could save countless rebel lives. No, we're too moral for that. We'll continue to ethically beat them to death, throw them off ledges, electrocute and gas them. And, of course, ethically sourced explosions."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That sounds like Mandalorians. Glory and honor in battle is one thing but victory trumps all.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hey I've got the Ahsoka lightsaber duo that can change color and my son is obsessed with them. Can someone remind me which episode shows the color change?

Ima make this kid a Star Wars nerd if it's the last thing I do.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

mdemone posted:

Hey I've got the Ahsoka lightsaber duo that can change color and my son is obsessed with them. Can someone remind me which episode shows the color change?

Ima make this kid a Star Wars nerd if it's the last thing I do.

Anakin changed them before he gave them back at the beginning of season 7.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

pik_d posted:

Awesome, thank you.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, if they're the Clone Wars sabres then Anakin just changed the colour while he was holding onto them.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Edit: they can each actively change color, it's fully fuckin sick

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

pik_d posted:

End of Season 7, Episode 9.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My brother in-law got those when we were there a couple weeks ago. The color changing effect is really cool. They're the most lightweight legacy sabers being sold right now and they're surprisingly comfortable.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hazo posted:

My brother in-law got those when we were there a couple weeks ago. The color changing effect is really cool. They're the most lightweight legacy sabers being sold right now and they're surprisingly comfortable.

I love em to death, but I'm really jealous of my wife's Rey saber which is a great piece of art (the blade is yellow ofc):

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

mdemone posted:

I love em to death, but I'm really jealous of my wife's Rey saber which is a great piece of art (the blade is yellow ofc):

Not sure if you know but there's a Black Series version coming out soon that blows the GE version out of the water :shobon:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hazo posted:

Not sure if you know but there's a Black Series version coming out soon that blows the GE version out of the water :shobon:

Oh god I already wanna buy like six of the loving things, I can't do this damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oof, Kanan's death still hurts