Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the discussion encouraged me to do living skyrim 3 and it's basically what i always was going for with my modpacks but much more cohesive, i also love how well integrated the various visual enhancements are but i had to turn off enb to get back to normal framerates

my fav big mod is legacy of the dragonborn so i was happy to see it well supported there

what's the big difference between something like QWEST! and LS3? sounds like they are going for the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

docbeard posted:

I love that Wabbajack lists are a thing but I have long since resigned myself to being the Skyrim equivalent of a car guy tinkering with a half-assembled '68 Corvair that will never actually leave the garage, and I'm not about to stop now.

As I begin putting together an Oblivion modlist, I can't help but wonder why I bother spending an inordinate amount of time fussing over minutiae, tinkering with largely inconsequential details, and maybe even making some custom ui replacements, when I'm fine playing most other games as they are. The answer is that it's become a hobby, and there doesn't have to be a motivation beyond the inherent satisfaction therein.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

QWEST posted:

Designed to be a "Mighty Modlist for Mini Machines", QWEST was born after a few people were talking about how some people they knew couldn't enjoy a modded Skyrim due to the hardware requirements. The list has a graphical suite that improves the visuals whilst also being friendly to users with 2GB of VRAM. If you can run vanilla Skyrim, you should be able to run this. In QWEST, you will find major mods such as Legacy of the Dragonborn, Interesting NPC's, Wyrmstooth, new armors and weapons, new music and reworked weathers and lighting. There are many more changes which are detailed in the changes to gameplay file.

Living Skyrim 3 posted:

Welcome to Living Skyrim! Living Skyrim is, has been, and will continue to be about one thing: breathing life into Skyrim. When playing vanilla Skyrim, there are times when you'll find nothing to do, nowhere to go, and no one to interact with. Living Skyrim seeks to correct this in every possible way. Within this modlist, you'll find a semi-lore friendly approach to adding an astounding amount of NPCs, quests, dungeons, followers, and more. It is uncommon to go more than 5 minutes without coming across something, be it an NPC to fight, a new questline, or any number of other points of interest. Content alone isn't enough, though. You'll also find a varied selection of enhanced gameplay mechanics ranging from being able to select a class and specialization for your character, expanded perk trees, all the way up to dozens of new spells, melee combat mechanics, and more. Normally, when the mechanics have been overhauled this thoroughly, you'll find a significant amount of tedium - Living Skyrim seeks to keep the fluid, ever-forward direction of Skyrim's gameplay. You'll find no mods that require you to stop and manage status bars, systems, or anything else. Living Skyrim isn't meant to slow the pace of Skyrim to a crawl by forcing you to stop and camp, manage needs, or other such similar systems.

That said, Living Skyrim is home to a suite of mods that allow you to create and roleplay characters of great depth - you'll find more traditional RPG elements such as picking a class for your character, assigning attribute points, a backstory, a deity to worship, and more. If you've played Dungeons & Dragons or similar games, this all may sound familiar to you. Add in the wealth of character customization options allowing you to specify exactly what you want your character to look like and you have a fast-paced, roleplay-capable, and replayable modlist. Sharing your character's story and adventure is highly encouraged.

All of this is on top of a high-quality graphics package intended for higher-end PCs. While the performance of Living Skyrim 3 specifically has been greatly improved over previous versions, you will still need a decently powerful computer to run the list. The ENB presets, weather, flora, fauna, textures, and meshes have all been hand-chosen to provide a consistent and gorgeous game look. For distant objects you'll find xLODGen, DynDOLOD, TexGen, and even the Grass Cache have been created for you to ensure that even distant objects look as good as those up close.

I hope you enjoy Living Skyrim.

TL;DR:
QWEST is aimed at people with low-end rigs who want to play modded Skyrim with as much new content as possible, built around Legacy of the Dragonborn.
The build I played also had some weird additions I disagreed with, like the aforementioned music mod and the, uh, bathing mod that came bundled in with the survival module.

Living Skyrim 3 is more built around enhancing Skyrim in general, including graphics. There's a lot of overlap with QWEST and other mod packs as LS3 is also built around Legacy of the Dragonborn and various quest mods. Mid-range rigs should be able to handle it fine. It is explicitly built to avoid busy work, like say making sure your character eats a balanced diet, gets enough sleep and bathes regularly.

e: that is to say with one of these packs you can choose to become a hobodov, in the other one it's taken for granted.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 5, 2021

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

ThaumPenguin posted:

TL;DR:
QWEST is aimed at people with low-end rigs who want to play modded Skyrim with as much new content as possible, built around Legacy of the Dragonborn.
The build I played also had some weird additions I disagreed with, like the aforementioned music mod and the, uh, bathing mod that came bundled in with the survival module.

Living Skyrim 3 is more built around enhancing Skyrim in general, including graphics. There's a lot of overlap with QWEST and other mod packs as LS3 is also built around Legacy of the Dragonborn and various quest mods. Mid-range rigs should be able to handle it fine. It is explicitly built to avoid busy work, like say making sure your character eats a balanced diet, gets enough sleep and bathes regularly.

e: that is to say with one of these packs you can choose to become a hobodov, in the other one it's taken for granted.

thanks, that helps a lot!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oblivion modding exists in this weird parallel universe where most people stuck with Wrye Bash and still use it as their main manager.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

docbeard posted:

I love that Wabbajack lists are a thing but I have long since resigned myself to being the Skyrim equivalent of a car guy tinkering with a half-assembled '68 Corvair that will never actually leave the garage, and I'm not about to stop now.

modpacks are nice and all but in my experience they also tend to be more than a bit bloated and I still had to spend a bunch of time tweaking poo poo to turn off graphical effects that kill the framerate and searching through the sprawling list of mod configs to disable the dumb "IMMERSION" poo poo someone snuck in there that makes the game more annoying.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Listen, randomly tripping in combat and dying to something beyond your control is good for building character. Well, not your player character, they're dead now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
huh there's only two lists that have ordinator listed in the gallery and one of them insults me for wanting to be a sneak thief, so I guess I'm using qwest.

Let's see if I get this right the first time. The instructions are already wonderful telling me to manually download four mods and linking to five.

lol already hung up since I'm not getting a registration email from vector plexus, which wabbajack wants access to

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 6, 2021

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Soonmot posted:

huh there's only two lists that have ordinator listed in the gallery and one of them insults me for wanting to be a sneak thief, so I guess I'm using qwest.

Hahaha I was reading over that one the other day. "I put in mods to make thief stuff impossible because I hate playing a thief MY VISION MY RULES SUCKERS" is at least refreshingly honest.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Wabbajack modlists got hit pretty hard by the recent mass nexus mod deletions and QWEST in particular is currently going through a full rebuild following a change in leadership, so the current (soonish to be replaced) documentation is a bit dumpy

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How annoying is setting up a Wabbajack listing? My load order is pretty much a bunch of magic, weapons, armor, dungeons, and the decent voiced companions (go away, Vilja). HD texture packs, new music, no dumbass survival or hardcore turn the game in to Dark Souls stuff that the other modpacks are so in to.

I also put it together after the communal meltdown so everything in it is still good to go.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

How annoying is setting up a Wabbajack listing? My load order is pretty much a bunch of magic, weapons, armor, dungeons, and the decent voiced companions (go away, Vilja). HD texture packs, new music, no dumbass survival or hardcore turn the game in to Dark Souls stuff that the other modpacks are so in to.

I also put it together after the communal meltdown so everything in it is still good to go.

doesn't it have to go through testing to be accepted?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a lot of stuff that should be fixed but am way too lazy to go in to my patches to fix stuff like Imperials dropping an armory's worth of loot. If I have to submit it to some random nerds for approval I won't bother

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Rinkles posted:

doesn't it have to go through testing to be accepted?

Only for official modlists. According to this guide you could compile a .wabbajack file that you share directly with others.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

that's cool

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW I installed both a Skyrim and Morrowind wabbajack list. The Skyrim list "just worked", the Morrowind list had a CTD 5 minutes in.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

The Wabbajack modlists got hit pretty hard by the recent mass nexus mod deletions and QWEST in particular is currently going through a full rebuild following a change in leadership, so the current (soonish to be replaced) documentation is a bit dumpy

oh holy poo poo what happened? Should I even bother trying to use wabbajack right now then?

Edit: created a vector account through chrome instead of trying to use the wabbajack window and now everything is installing it looks like. So fingers crossed.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 6, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Soonmot posted:

oh holy poo poo what happened? Should I even bother trying to use wabbajack right now then?

Grievances over ownership, as going forward the Nexus won't allow you to delete your own mods.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

I've got a lot of stuff that should be fixed but am way too lazy to go in to my patches to fix stuff like Imperials dropping an armory's worth of loot. If I have to submit it to some random nerds for approval I won't bother

Ones listed on the main site are (lightly) first-party vetted but there is a whole section in the discord for unofficial list releases. Pretty friendly community, too.

Soonmot posted:

Let's see if I get this right the first time. The instructions are already wonderful telling me to manually download four mods and linking to five.

Aldrnari is actually pretty good, but it's definitely focused more as the perfect Skyrim to specifically one man. He avoids a lot of complaining and explaining by just saying "I've decided on this" and sticking to it. The stealth archer comment is a really curious way of just saying "detection AI it's super buffed and you can't crutch it as much". I'd say "just give it a go", but it's like 400GB and takes 10Hrs+ to install so it's a serious commitment.

Have a look at Elysium if your PC can run it, it's great. Vokrii instead of Ordinator, though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Most modlists are fine to use (probably QWEST included). It's been like a month or two since the last mod deletion, so pretty much all the lists have been adjusted to work without any of the deleted mods, or have their own special solutions (the files you need to download separately). Personally I just finished setting up LS3 and it didn't require me to download anything separately.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ThaumPenguin posted:

Most modlists are fine to use (probably QWEST included).

It was the third list I tried. Halfway through downloading mods it got stuck and I had to Google and download 4 files manually to fix it. No biggy, but then at the end it just wouldn't install. Maybe that too can be solved, but I'd had enough. Never found using Mod Organizer that awful tbh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf3aus0mhOU

Skypranos mod when.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i got invited to the Nexus Collections beta, but that requires using Vortex, so i didn't bother

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

i got invited to the Nexus Collections beta, but that requires using Vortex, so i didn't bother

I've been using it for Skyrim and FO4 for months and it's fine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Installation trip report: Things went good, had to restart it two or three times, but everything was installed and it's ready to play.

Except wabbajack isn't able to locate skse! I had already downloaded skse off of steam before doing this, should I not have?

Edit: Ahh because skse is set up in a folder called skyrim and not my skyrim special edition folder. Should I just c&p the files from the skyrim folder into the special edition folder where the mod organizer is looking?

okay i never actually installed skse that's what's going on lol

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 6, 2021

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Most lists contain a folder called 'Game folder files' which will include skse and whatever else it needs to run, these you need to copy to the skyrim install folder. Then you run mod organizer in the modlist folder.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Doomhammer posted:

Most lists contain a folder called 'Game folder files' which will include skse and whatever else it needs to run, these you need to copy to the skyrim install folder. Then you run mod organizer in the modlist folder.

Do note that some modlists have implemented a "Stock Game" functionality where you don't need to do this. It creates a separate instance of the Skyrim folder and uses that one as a base, automatically copying the Game Folder files into it as part of the modlist installation process. This leaves your actual Skyrim install entirely untouched at every level. No reinstalls necessary!

I know that Living Skyrim 3 uses "Stock Game", but there's a good chance your (Soonmot) modlist doesn't. This was just a general heads-up, because I did totally mess up and copy over the Game Folder files when I first tried installing LS3.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can run the game fine if launched through skse, but mod organizer crashes with two errors. One is telling I have files in the overwrite folder, but it's cool and I should disable that warning.

This is the one that looks like a problem:

quote:

You have one or more script extender plugins which failed to load!

If you want this notification to go away, here are some steps you can take:
• Look for updates to the mod or the specific plugin included in the mod.
• Disable the mod containing the plugin.
• Hide or delete the plugin from the mod.

To refresh the script extender logs, you will need to run the game and/or editor again!

The failed plugins are:
• Couldn't load EngineFixes.dll (SSE Engine Fixes (skse64 plugin)). A dependency DLL could not be found (code 126).

I don't see why a mod I just donwloaded today, but I'm gonna check on that.

edit: looks like because you actually have to manually downlaod and move some files to ge that mod to work:

quote:

(Part 2) Engine Fixes - skse64 Preloader and TBB Lib

Download this and extract it to your main Skyrim folder manually; it cannot be installed with a mod manager. This is required or the skse plugin won't load.

Edit 2: Yep, that was all I needed. Game boote up fine, now to hop over to the playstation for some mass effect and I'll mess around with this tomorrow lol

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 7, 2021

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

If you have access to the mod author forums, the absolute meltdown (when mods got yoinked) is a trip: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10173593-changes-to-file-deletions/

I've been loving around with a slightly tweaked version of Lexy's list (sadly not on Wabbajack), and I feel like I'm the only person in the universe who despises OBIS.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I'd like to clarify that you can still "delete" your mod. The page will no longer exist, the descriptions will be gone, it won't be indexed by google. You just cannot delete the direct file link. That's it, you cannot prevent people who already have a link to a file from downloading it.

This is mostly because the nexus wants to implement easily downloadable collections of mods and they don't want to deal with the headache of elements of collections just disappearing. This is also good news for Wabbajack who reap the same benefit.

But the incidental but very real other consequence is that it took away the nuclear bargaining option of big mod authors with many users threatening ( again ) to leave unless things were changed to appease them. At best they can now threaten to no longer provide updates on the nexus. It seems weird to say this, bargaining power in the hands of the people making content seems like it should be good but well, the modding community ( for TES anyway ) has proven over the last decade to have many big figures who are just the worst.

And so the drama began.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's definitely convenient for the user. I've already recovered a few mods this way (like Stewie's Oblivion Tweaks).

Part of me sympathises a little bit with the principle of the protest, but in practical terms the new rules aren't realistically gonna affect anyone negatively.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, the giant tantrum was in large part because the Nexus took away their ability to completely kill any Wabbajack style modlists using their stuff. There was, and is, an incredibly loud handful of mod authors that sit around in the private forum bitching about people who use their mods and riling each other up into a frenzy over people they see as leeching off of their hard work. How dare a modlist creator/maintainer have a patreon, it's not like they put any work into anything. How dare a Youtuber monetize any videos that feature their mod for ten seconds, it's not like that requires effort, the mod authors could do it themselves in five minutes! They won't, but they could. How dare mod users be upset when they throw a tantrum and yoink all their mods without warning because Skyrim VR users had the temerity to want to use the bugfix patch, they're so entitled, don't they know that mod authors are the only reason the community exists, and by mod authors they of course mean "me and my ten rear end in a top hat friends".

That one of them threatened to sue a Youtuber who gave her mod a good review and successfully got the video pulled, and the rest backed her up the whole way and went on for a hundred odd pages about how worthless all the Youtubers who create Skyrim review videos are, pretty much says it all. That her mod was, iirc, some collection of shops that sold items made by other mod authors is what makes the whole thing true art.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If these loving babies are so mad they can copy their mods onto thumb drives and mail them to users instead of using someone else's website to distribute them, imho

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So is Living Skyrim an immersion focused mod or more of a general improved experience with Legacy?

One thing I like about Skyrim is the AI and day to day interactions. Stuff like AI adventurer's exploring the dungeons and looting them on their own (There was a mod that did this.), being able to get a profession and just smith, farm, a meadery, an apiary, or run a mine. Things that add more depth to the world and game by making you more than just a murder hobo along with AI that's not as two dimensional.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
All mods should just be torrent :filez:

Modding is supposed to be a hobby, and mods are meant to be freely shared and modified among the community.

I don't support these modders that do this, but I also don't get why you guys support Nexus's involvement.

The problem is that Nexus is trying to monetize modding and turn it into a commercial venture. They want to monopolize the source of where you can get mods.

gently caress that, decentralize it back into just sharing files p2p.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I like how there's a million mods in Qwest but still just the default warpaints. At least I had almost 900 hair styles to choose from and my orc lady is hot, purple, and has antlers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

7c Nickel posted:

Listen, randomly tripping in combat and dying to something beyond your control is good for building character. Well, not your player character, they're dead now.

i had to turn off an immersive animations mod that makes your character immersively stand perfectly upright so that everyone in town can see them when they're lockpicking. it made the quest to join the thieves guild literally impossible lol

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Soonmot posted:

I like how there's a million mods in Qwest but still just the default warpaints. At least I had almost 900 hair styles to choose from and my orc lady is hot, purple, and has antlers.

The Something Awful Forums > Games > Skyrim Modding: my orc lady is hot, purple, and has antlers

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Archonex posted:

So is Living Skyrim an immersion focused mod or more of a general improved experience with Legacy?

One thing I like about Skyrim is the AI and day to day interactions. Stuff like AI adventurer's exploring the dungeons and looting them on their own (There was a mod that did this.), being able to get a profession and just smith, farm, a meadery, an apiary, or run a mine. Things that add more depth to the world and game by making you more than just a murder hobo along with AI that's not as two dimensional.

Living Skyrim is more about adding content, and making it much more likely that you'll encounter people and enemies in between points of interest. It's not focused on immersion, but it does avoid non-immersive mods for the most part.

Basically, if you've heard of some DLC-sized mod like Moonpath to Elsweyr and been like, "hey, I'd like to try that", then that mod is probably included in Living Skyrim.

It does have a lot of the QoL mods like SmartCast that are in other mod lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Soonmot posted:

Oh dang how can I get myself some antler mods