Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s wild to think that this was a prime time FOX comedy with gay jokes in literally almost every episode.

As someone who recently rewatched the first 13 seasons of Simpsons, that's not too hard to believe. The 90s and 2000s really loved their gay jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

To this day if I see a particularly spectacular explosion or demolition in a show/movie/videogame I find myself muttering “take THAT, Birth of Man”.

The Critic truly was a gem.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I still semi regularly say to myself "What a Duke-tastrophy"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Wait a minute... Penguins can't fly... PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes I wish I had an Old Hollywood Primer for all of the cartoons I watched as a kid that expected my to know who, for example, Morey Amsterdam was. It's a hell of a lot easier now that I have internet and Wikipedia but even when I was little I knew I was getting maybe 1/3 of the jokes in Tiny Toons/Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

I still semi regularly say to myself "What a Duke-tastrophy"

Duke is far & away the best character. He’s like 50% C. Montgomery Burns and 50% Jack Donaghey from 30 Rock and he’s simply uproarious. His 15 second workout, his private Country Time Bears jamboree, he’s just amazing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember when the Critic first came out the promo ads said "By the people who made the Simpsons! Only this time, they're sober!"

I was of tender years but I had a hard time understanding why that was a plus

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

readingatwork posted:

They’re called “fingers,” and yet they don’t FING…noodle that one!

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Every few years I remember the Critic, binge it, and have an absolute blast. Every scene with Jay's father is gold, whether it's Fishmobaby Whirlimagig, or "nilknarf!"

Edit: Just started a rewatch today, and now it's pretty obvious that Maurice LaMarche did some pretty hefty lifting voicing one-off characters.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 5, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

YggiDee posted:

Sometimes I wish I had an Old Hollywood Primer for all of the cartoons I watched as a kid that expected my to know who, for example, Morey Amsterdam was. It's a hell of a lot easier now that I have internet and Wikipedia but even when I was little I knew I was getting maybe 1/3 of the jokes in Tiny Toons/Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain.

I remember Animaniacs pulling incredibly old Hollywood refs a lot. It’s easier these days being able to google who Slappy was talking about, but back then? “You remind of a young Lionel Hampton.” is going over my head.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Every few years I remember the Critic, binge it, and have an absolute blast. Every scene with Jay's father is gold, whether it's Fishmobaby Whirlimagig, or "nilknarf!"

Edit: Just started a rewatch today, and now it's pretty obvious that Maurice LaMarche did some pretty hefty lifting voicing one-off characters.

The one thing I know for sure is that his Orson Welles "green pea-ness" bit launched franchises.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it was positively heartwarming to hear Phil Hartman playing a gay fashion designer named Adolf

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Duke is far & away the best character. He’s like 50% C. Montgomery Burns and 50% Jack Donaghey from 30 Rock and he’s simply uproarious. His 15 second workout, his private Country Time Bears jamboree, he’s just amazing.

He's also a cultural reference that's purely of his time but doesn't lose anything if you're unfamiliar with Ted Turner

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Data Graham posted:

The one thing I know for sure is that his Orson Welles "green pea-ness" bit launched franchises.

That whole bit was actually based off real recordings of Welles doing trying to do recordings for some commercials and getting frustrated and huffy about it. LaMarche would do parodies of it as a warm-up before recording, before he eventually began doing it in episodes of shows he worked on, like The Critic and Pinky and the Brain.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

IBroughttheFunk posted:

That whole bit was actually based off real recordings of Welles doing trying to do recordings for some commercials and getting frustrated and huffy about it. LaMarche would do parodies of it as a warm-up before recording, before he eventually began doing it in episodes of shows he worked on, like The Critic and Pinky and the Brain.

Yup. I had the singular pleasure of introducing a couple of movie-lore-curious houseguests to those recordings a few months back.

The Other Side of the Wind and accompanying Netflix documentary are a fuckin trip btw. THIS IS NOT AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY, STOP SAYING THAT

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

readingatwork posted:

And he's been drinking!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A large chunk of Maurice LaMarche's career has been built on his ability to do uncanny impersonations of Golden Age Hollywood actors.

My favorite is him using his Kirk Douglas impression for Father from Kids Next Door, and cranking up the ANGRY TALKING THROUGH HIS TEETH to 11.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I met him at the ASIFA Expo in Burbank in like 1996 with a couple of voice actor and animator friends. I offered to do his webpage lmao, he was like "wtf is that"

e: I remember him telling us his demo tape was just him doing impressions of about twelve different US presidents

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 6, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The_Doctor posted:

I remember Animaniacs pulling incredibly old Hollywood refs a lot. It’s easier these days being able to google who Slappy was talking about, but back then? “You remind of a young Lionel Hampton.” is going over my head.

It took me 15 years before I just looked up who James Cagney was and why the Warners would want him as their “special friend.”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The_Doctor posted:

With Slappy at least I imagine that's entirely on purpose.

Funky Valentine posted:

A large chunk of Maurice LaMarche's career has been built on his ability to do uncanny impersonations of Golden Age Hollywood actors.

My favorite is him using his Kirk Douglas impression for Father from Kids Next Door, and cranking up the ANGRY TALKING THROUGH HIS TEETH to 11.

I really need to rewatch Kids Next Door, I remember loving that when it aired. Crazy rear end show, you could never tell what they were going to do next.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Continuing my run through of all my “vintage” cartoons from my youth and I gotta tell ya, I never put this together before but Archer really owes everything it has to Sealab 2021. My understanding is that the Archer team sort of started as the Frisky Dingo team and then Archer would go on to become this huge success, and while I’ve never seen Frisky Dingo, I was plowing through Season 1 of Sealab last night and it was just hitting over and over again how much of Archer’s DNA, the back & forth banter, the way the characters all have this strong “professional frenemy” vibe, the hyper violent, hyper sexualized tension that is constantly summoned or dismissed at a moment’s notice based on whether or not it would be funny… I mean really if there is a cartoon lineage family tree, Sealab 2021 has got to be the roots to the Archer tree.

And this goes without saying but Capt Murphy might be the funniest character that’s ever been on TV, regardless of format. Some of these episodes are almost 20 years old and his acting, his delivery, his incredible ability to seem commanding and insane at once, good lord he’s a laugh riot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yup. Watch Sealab / Frisky Dingo / Archer in order, it's crazy to see the meteoric rise in production quality while keeping all the through-lines of dialogue and humor. Adam Reed deserves a lot more recognition than he gets I think.

I bounced off Frisky Dingo when it was new but I went back to it a year or two ago and it's pretty drat good. I think Sealab is more approachable and (so long as Murphy is in it) better, but I'm glad I stuck it out with FD this time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is kinda funny how the Filmation/early Hanna-Barbera riff style was standard in early Adult Swim due to both the characters they were using from it and its cheapness (as we as how funny it is) but now Archer's probably the last show standing still using a derivative of it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Was Space Ghost the first thing that had the idea of putting new dialogue on existing 60s Filmation footage, or did something predate it? I know there were all those re-voiced Herculoids bumpers and GI Joe viral videos and stuff like that, but I'm not sure of the timeline.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it was the first of it’s kind to get airtime. Anything else was something that got leaked to the proto Internet, but it was the kooky guys behind the scenes chopping and screwing the old HB stills who got Spaceghost, and maybe all of “alternative animation”, started in the first place.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never gonna forget going to San Diego Comic-Con in 1997 and there was a panel upstairs with Andy Merrill and C. Martin Croker and the SGC2C team. They'd reserved a medium-sized panel room and when it came time for it to start there was a line of about 5000 people at the door, lined up down the hall and spilling down the stairwells. I was near the front, and Andy came out with a camcorder and started recording it, "Oh my god look at all the people :aaaaa:"

Once we were all crammed in there they showed the very first original Space Ghost fuckery clip that Andy put together and voiced himself, it was about 20 seconds long and the funniest thing any of them had ever seen. The studio asked him to put together another one, spiffed up a bit for use as an actual pitch for a show; he made a nice slick one about 2 minutes long with better effects and animation and voicing, and it wasn't funny at all. So they went back to the lovely still frames and that's where I think George Lowe got involved, and the rest is history.

They premiered the SGC2C with Mark Hamill and "Space Ghost Con '97" at that panel and my life has been downhill ever since that moment

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is kinda funny how the Filmation/early Hanna-Barbera riff style was standard in early Adult Swim due to both the characters they were using from it and its cheapness (as we as how funny it is) but now Archer's probably the last show standing still using a derivative of it.

Venture Brothers is still in production they are getting a movie. If you want purely characters, wasn't there a new Harvey Birdman during the pandemic leading into a spin off?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like Hank’s clothes are basically the only remnant of the Venture Bros Hannah-Barbera reference material left by season 8. I really love the show, but it’s completely removed itself and reinvented itself from where it started. I’m in the minority maybe but I feel like Season 8 is the weakest season by a country mile.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pixaal posted:

Venture Brothers is still in production they are getting a movie. If you want purely characters, wasn't there a new Harvey Birdman during the pandemic leading into a spin off?

There was an entire season of a Birdgirl spinoff show. Although outside of Judy Ken Sebben they didn't use any Harvey Birdman characters.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

muscles like this! posted:

There was an entire season of a Birdgirl spinoff show. Although outside of Judy Ken Sebben they didn't use any Harvey Birdman characters.

The closest they got to another Hanna Barbara character was a female version of Morbo The Mind Taker.

The show had potential but it just never grabbed me. I think some of that was the animation style looked really rough and cheap, and not in the charming way Harvey Birdman was.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m sure it’s a case of just not being for me, but “Harvey Birdman… without the classic cartoon characters!” just strikes me as an inherently flawed concept

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who is it for then?

I've only seen whatever episodes have shown up unlocked on the Adult Swim app (so like the first four) and it all feels just a bit "yeah, whatever, hasn't all this been done a million times already?" Probably for the reason you noted, it's a concept founded on a joke and they removed the joke.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I thought they got the tone right by the end of the series, but it didn't really have a central premise to call its own. Birdgirl barely appears in it, so it's not really a Birdgirl series, and the weird products the company made felt like occasional individual plot devices rather than a central pillar to build the series around. It just wasn't about anything in particular.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought the cat episode and the Internet episodes were loving hilarious.

It's an American style sitcom that's only six episodes long, that's more the problem tbh.

limp_cheese posted:

I think some of that was the animation style looked really rough and cheap, and not in the charming way Harvey Birdman was.

What were you thinking of in particular, because I didn't get the sense of that for the most part tbh.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Open Source Idiom posted:

What were you thinking of in particular, because I didn't get the sense of that for the most part tbh.

I think it was the heavy lines and something about the character models and how they moved just seemed wrong. It felt like they were trying to do low budget instead of being low budget because they had to. I know that might not make any sense but its something I can't put my finger on. It just seemed off...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Popping in to say Star Trek Lower Decks remains a delight and extremely fun even as someone with only a tangential level of understanding or caring about the property.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Boimler speedrunning the Borg cube was just incredible.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The Lower Decks is fantastic. I’m super pissed that the second season is locked behind P+ because I have exactly zero interest in subscribing to that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

readingatwork posted:

The Lower Decks is fantastic. I’m super pissed that the second season is locked behind P+ because I have exactly zero interest in subscribing to that.

Just do a week long free trial, it’s how I watched every mission impossible for free, assuming you meant Paramount +

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hell, it's what I'm doing with Disney Plus - don't subscribe for a year then binge like crazy for a month or two.