Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Been wiped out all day, so another walk on the short road.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (February 6, 1934)

Peanuts (October 8, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean's Senior Abuse Jokebook

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 6, 1938)

Out Our Way (July 5-7, 1937)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! October 3, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 16, 1918

Gay and Her Gang November 18, 1929

Oaky Doaks April 20, 1936

Mopsy June 25, 1937

Up Front August 2, 1944

Dark Laughter January 15, 1949

Those Were the Days July 26, 1956

Wee Pals January 10, 1966

Dogbert June 21, 1966

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean's Senior Abuse Jokebook

Yesterday:
Nurse: Have you had a fall recently?
Lady: Yeah, obviously, YOU IDIOT.

Today:
Nurse: Tell me more about your fall.
Lady: It wasn't a fall, it was an accident, YOU DUMBSHIT.

Like hospital staff don't have enough to put up with these days.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wilbur needs a comeupins but all he will get is validation for his poo poo rear end nonsense.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals January 10, 1966

For those not deeply versed in their cigarette advertising history:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

JethroMcB posted:

For those not deeply versed in their cigarette advertising history:

loving wow.

Anyway, in today's earlier-than-usual Blueberry: Oh yeah - I'm sure you have 'no choice', Jethro, or The cavalry arrives for Blueberry. Quite literally!, or Where's Phoenix Wright when you need him?!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Danielle scampers (December 1-7, 2003)

:sigh:

(Click for big.)

Danielle. Girl. Honey. Darling. Sweetheart.

You've been here for two months. Two months ago you were a human, living in the human world. Since then you've been unwillingly transformed into a rabbit, transported to a world where murder is legal (to which you adapted really quickly), took the place of your counterpart who'd been killed a week or so prior, hooked up with your counterpart's boyfriend, and now you're engaged to him.

Don't you maybe think you're moving a wee to fast? Maybe stop and consider things?

Modern Kevin & Kell

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"the stationary bike" have we by chance lost a sponsorship deal, hmmm?

uhm

1) show don't tell so I guess don't set yourself up for failure as a cartoonist
2) haven't you been super long time holiday camp bunkmates, surely, and I mean this in a completely innocent childhood way, you have at least caught a glimpse; or I guess so I'd say if this wasn't the Luannverse

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wait your species is a license and it can be revoked and ....

I realize this of all things should not be the thing that surprises me but god drat the Holbrook-verse makes no sense

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I'm perversely invested in this stupid jellyfish plotline, probably because I'm a sucker for taking Weird Biology Things like jellyfish life cycles and applying them to an imaginary society of people, and this definitely counts. Once for a poetry class one of the challenges to pick from was "write a weird erotic poem" and i was also taking an invertebrate class because biology is my minor and i could not resist but frankly the prof made the suggestion first so I refuse to take responsibility. On the other hand, we are ignoring that medusae are typically the sexual life stage of scyphozoan or true jellyfish. They're not just all clones of each other. Polyps reproduce asexually, and then the medusae swim off to gently caress, and their children are the stationary polyps. And also they do have males and females, typically.

Is the name "Moon" meant to imply that these are Aurelia jellyfish? Because that would help nail down exactly the life cycle we're dealing with.

Anyway Cnidaria is very weird and cool and how dare Holbrook, really.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa

Sorry I've been lazy about my classic comics, I'll get back to them shortly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait your species is a license and it can be revoked and ....

I realize this of all things should not be the thing that surprises me but god drat the Holbrook-verse makes no sense

Note that the only "species license" we've seen so far is rabbits. There is a species registry, there was a whole kerfuffle a while ago because Corrie -- who is half wolf and half sheep -- wanted to be classified as both herbivore and carnivore, while bureaucracy forced her to pick one or the other. As far as we know though, rabbits are the only ones who require a license to be classified as such, and this is supported by this series of strip: apparently it's no problem for Danielle to just pick a new designation.

(Angelique had her rabbit license taken away when she got married to R.L. because she sold out secret rabbit escape routes to Herd Thinners; she picked "rat" as her new classification, which she later admits fits her better than her old one.)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 6, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 7, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 7, 2000)

Garfield Classic (January 7, 1990)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/5/01

Brenda Starr 5/5-7/47

Smokey Stover 9/19/43

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (October 8, 1974)

Holy poo poo an actual background in a Peanuts strip. Is this the only time this has happened?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 10, 1947)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Some Guy TT posted:

Granted, it's not my job to come up with new punchlines every day, but I can't help but feel like "cats report on household events as if they were reporters" is a strong enough concept you don't really need to get into worldbuilding about the backstory of the unusually intelligent mice that live inside the walls.

Ashsaber posted:

Sometimes an author just wants to do their own take on Secret of NIMH, just let her have this.

I also sort of roll my eyes whenever BCN does these weird little worldbuilding tangents, I just don't think Georgia Dunn is a strong storyteller in this medium to make it work, and I think she overestimates how invested people are in the non-cat reporter members of the cast. It's one of those things that seems like a long-term holdover from the strips' webcomic origins that doesn't translate well into dailies

Buuuuuttttt BCN is good enough on the whole that I'm usually willing to watch how it turns out to see if I'm surprised. If nothing else, the art is always charming and unlike other strips, at least it's actually trying to do something. So I'm not too hard about it.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 2 – Two Backs

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

Also, for fans of Giant Days, Allison has been practicing drawing the cast for upcoming conventions and posting the images on his twitter. Here are a few:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The casual, low-key body horror here is positively Holbrookian.

The Family Circus

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Thank you for making a simple door very happy.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
drat, I knew Colin Wilson was heavily influenced by Moebius, and even drew Blueberry for several years, but that second frame... :stare:

(Judge Dredd, 'Diary of a Mad Citizen', 1981)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Positively Holbrookian with the important distinction that I chuckled at that Bizarro.

On the Family Circus front:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Um. That’s a “naturist.” Not “naturalist”

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 7, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Door is opening the wrong way. Public build doors swing outwards so people don't get stuck against them in an emergency.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alterian posted:

Door is opening the wrong way. Public build doors swing outwards so people don't get stuck against them in an emergency.

The "in" doors of grocery stores open inward so they don't clock people in the face if they're walking a bit too fast. I think they satisfy the fire code requirement by being able to open outward when pushed, but that's not the direction the motor opens them by default.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Alterian posted:

Not if there's dedicated In and Out doors, though?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

:shrug: https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/ifc-2015/chapter/10/means-of-egress#1010.1.2.1

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Goddammit Karen Moy.

The Phantom

Mozz: Oh wait, it stopped.

Just kidding it's going again.

Phantom: Mozz...

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 6, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

The "in" doors of grocery stores open inward so they don't clock people in the face if they're walking a bit too fast. I think they satisfy the fire code requirement by being able to open outward when pushed, but that's not the direction the motor opens them by default.
This is making me realize I can't remember the last time I've seen a grocery store with doors that open any way but sliding to the side.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere in the paper: Some chud rear end in a top hat died.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

(don't ask me why CK gave it such a huge border)

90s Overboard

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mathematics is mostly annotation in my experience.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Luann confounds me. Evans constantly flips between plot elements of prudishness, and taking delight in offering up various "naughty" or titillating situations. I just don't get it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Payndz posted:

drat, I knew Colin Wilson was heavily influenced by Moebius, and even drew Blueberry for several years, but that second frame... :stare:

Huh... That's... Sure is something.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Johnny Hazard

(don't ask me why CK gave it such a huge border)
I may have said this before but I like how this method of killing them was described as simple and efficient but it's like one of the most convoluted ways of killing someone ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery