Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, there is no such thing as a Studded Leather Daddy.

The first campaign I DMed had an entire S&M themed villainous faction led by Michel Foucault

I did not play for long enough to produce any cat piss stories and have since learned to DM like a decent non-terrible person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Player - I'm making a check to disguse myself.
Accidently types 20 into chat rather than /roll1d20.
Rolls a 20.

Two other players then try the same idea....

We broke probibility there for a minute....

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My anima mage, Dr. Drey, has a legacy item named Spidersilk that we houseruled to (a) not suck and (b) not require leveling to 20 to get the abilities of. One of its very flavorful but extremely specific abilities is Command Spiders, which is basically a dominate effect but only for things that are spiders. Tonight, we came up against three Lolth-touched Harpoon Spiders that had laid webs and pit traps all over their section of the Demonweb Pits. I won initiative, and proceeded to use it on all three. Their highest save was a 24, and my DC was 25; thus the fight was ended as soon as it started, in true 3.5e D&D wizard fashion.

Since I am tiny and fly, the other the PCs mounted up and we rode to the next encounter: a drow with a phase spider. We asked him politely to let us through, and seeing four very armed people riding three huge spiders with an official document was enough to make him think "this is way over my pay grade" and let us pass. We picked up a celestial airdrop from some helpful bear archons (bearchons) after obliterating a bodak former-paladin guarding the gate to Celestia, and are now heading to a demonic council mounted on giant spiders.

Time to start some poo poo.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Yawgmoth posted:

My anima mage, Dr. Drey, has a legacy item named Spidersilk that we houseruled to (a) not suck and (b) not require leveling to 20 to get the abilities of. One of its very flavorful but extremely specific abilities is Command Spiders, which is basically a dominate effect but only for things that are spiders. Tonight, we came up against three Lolth-touched Harpoon Spiders that had laid webs and pit traps all over their section of the Demonweb Pits. I won initiative, and proceeded to use it on all three. Their highest save was a 24, and my DC was 25; thus the fight was ended as soon as it started, in true 3.5e D&D wizard fashion.

Since I am tiny and fly, the other the PCs mounted up and we rode to the next encounter: a drow with a phase spider. We asked him politely to let us through, and seeing four very armed people riding three huge spiders with an official document was enough to make him think "this is way over my pay grade" and let us pass. We picked up a celestial airdrop from some helpful bear archons (bearchons) after obliterating a bodak former-paladin guarding the gate to Celestia, and are now heading to a demonic council mounted on giant spiders.

Time to start some poo poo.

wait is this in World's Largest Dungeon because a paladin-turned-bodak in an area with Drow + Demons is both incredibly specific and incredibly familiar.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Galick posted:

wait is this in World's Largest Dungeon because a paladin-turned-bodak in an area with Drow + Demons is both incredibly specific and incredibly familiar.
No, it's Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Galick posted:

Lol I had the same thought tbh, funny to see the same ideas crop up in other adventures. Good times!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Galick posted:

an area with Drow + Demons is both incredibly specific and incredibly familiar.

Is there an adventure with drow that doesn’t involve demons?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Definitely in the category of something stupid that had to be allowed.

Pathfinder 2e has the feat Legendary Sneak. This specifies that "you're always sneaking unless you choose to be seen", and lets you sneak without any cover or concealment. In other words, you can be in a plain white closet and somebody looking right in still can't tell where in that 5' square space you actually are. Calling that silly is probably kind of grognardy. But it is a bit silly.

Naturally, with this ability, the PC is ideal as a forward scout. He discovers, and accidentally triggers, a trap which creates an evil mirror duplicate of himself.

The thing is, the mirror duplicate therefore also has Legendary Sneak. And thanks to his skill balance, his Stealth is so high that his Assurance roll beats his own Perception DC.

So he is aware the duplicate exists, but neither of them can detect each other!

Cue a couple of rounds of the two clones frantically seeking around for each other and getting bad rolls, followed by him leaving to collect the rest of the party, which nearly ended up with an order of the stick style "well, there's probably a ninja in the box, but if we open it none of us will be able to see him until he escapes" discussion.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

hyphz posted:

Definitely in the category of something stupid that had to be allowed.

Pathfinder 2e has the feat Legendary Sneak. This specifies that "you're always sneaking unless you choose to be seen", and lets you sneak without any cover or concealment. In other words, you can be in a plain white closet and somebody looking right in still can't tell where in that 5' square space you actually are. Calling that silly is probably kind of grognardy. But it is a bit silly.

Naturally, with this ability, the PC is ideal as a forward scout. He discovers, and accidentally triggers, a trap which creates an evil mirror duplicate of himself.

The thing is, the mirror duplicate therefore also has Legendary Sneak. And thanks to his skill balance, his Stealth is so high that his Assurance roll beats his own Perception DC.

So he is aware the duplicate exists, but neither of them can detect each other!

Cue a couple of rounds of the two clones frantically seeking around for each other and getting bad rolls, followed by him leaving to collect the rest of the party, which nearly ended up with an order of the stick style "well, there's probably a ninja in the box, but if we open it none of us will be able to see him until he escapes" discussion.

gently caress that's amazing

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
It’s these types of scenarios that make for really fun discussions (hello peasant railgun), but if you tried that kinda stuff at my game it would be a quick, “yeah, no” with an accompanying “Let’s move it along”.

Though these games live in our imaginations I still make them internally consistent within the bounds of an imagined reality.

I once had a guy ask me if I played D&D and I said yeah. He says, “so you can swing hundred-foot swords and poo poo?” My response was something like “no. Duh. How could you carry it, let alone swing it?”

I mean, if we were playing some high- fantasy stuff like the first age of middle earth, then yeah swing away. Cast mountains down and boil oceans. But in my normal games my humans are humans who are capable, within the imagined bounds of reality, of doing only things humans could normally do.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Agrikk posted:

It’s these types of scenarios that make for really fun discussions (hello peasant railgun), but if you tried that kinda stuff at my game it would be a quick, “yeah, no” with an accompanying “Let’s move it along”.

Though these games live in our imaginations I still make them internally consistent within the bounds of an imagined reality.

I once had a guy ask me if I played D&D and I said yeah. He says, “so you can swing hundred-foot swords and poo poo?” My response was something like “no. Duh. How could you carry it, let alone swing it?”

I mean, if we were playing some high- fantasy stuff like the first age of middle earth, then yeah swing away. Cast mountains down and boil oceans. But in my normal games my humans are humans who are capable, within the imagined bounds of reality, of doing only things humans could normally do.

Hey now, they could swing it. Downwards. Once.
E: At least in pathfinder, if you had a strength of 31 or more you could lift a 25mm x 25mm x 30 meter iron bar!

Preechr fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 4, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Agrikk posted:

That one's actually explicitly written in the book, though. I have some sympathy for the "don't demand nonsense" argument, but in D&D style games it tends to result in caster supremacy because "it's maaagic" is the ultimate excuse for being unable to explain anything.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

That’s a good point.

Luckily my long time gaming group never fell into that kind of nonsense, though I have run into that stuff online.

I tend to base my magic in physics because at a certain point physics is like magic. Except for where it breaks down like with the frame of reference problem and the Immovable Rod: according to which point does the rid stop moving? Is it the person standing still? is it the surface of the planet traveling a thousand miles an hour at the equator and stationary at the poles? Is it the planet traveling around the sun or the solar system traveling around the center of the galaxy?

But still, I’ve played with dumbshits who want to play the rules rather than play the story and I don’t last very long in those kinds of games. Or those players don’t last long in my games.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Agrikk posted:

That’s a good point.

Luckily my long time gaming group never fell into that kind of nonsense, though I have run into that stuff online.

I tend to base my magic in physics because at a certain point physics is like magic. Except for where it breaks down like with the frame of reference problem and the Immovable Rod: according to which point does the rid stop moving? Is it the person standing still? is it the surface of the planet traveling a thousand miles an hour at the equator and stationary at the poles? Is it the planet traveling around the sun or the solar system traveling around the center of the galaxy?

But still, I’ve played with dumbshits who want to play the rules rather than play the story and I don’t last very long in those kinds of games. Or those players don’t last long in my games.

The WW2 superhero game Godlike has a couple of printed NPCs whose powers take stuff like that into consideration. For example, there's a Nazi who can shut off the inertia of any object he touches. The character's dossier entry explains that this will applies to the affected object relative to Earth's rotation, thereby sending it hurtling off into the sky at thousands of MPH (or into a wall at that speed if used indoors). Suffice it to say, a Red Army sniper kills him as long range.

There's another guy who is a pyrokinetic, but it is reflexive and automatic. He bursts into flames and sheds waves of flame that protect him whenever he would be stuck by projectiles. So the allies pin him down in a warehouse and pound the building with mortars until his own ability consumes all the O2 in the building and he asphyxiates.

There's also an Englishman who can leap 47 leagues. No more, no less. Oh, and when he does he causes a huge concussive blast at the point of departure, and the landing point. He is immune to the blasts themselves, but not the resulting bullshit caused by them. I think he dies when he accidentally jumps into an ammo depot.

The book is worth reading if only for the character dossiers. (The system has some good ideas but IMO it needs a heavy dose of house rules to be workable). Some of them are great stories, like the French resistance fighter who can change her appearance at-will, but her ability is always on. She forgets her own appearance eventually but she survives the war. She goes on to have a long and lucrative career in Hollywood, eventually dying of old age in the 1990's. A reporter snaps a photo of her shortly after she dies, as it reveals her true face for the first time since her power manifested in 1940.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Earlier I failed so badly on an intimidation check that the guard failed to recognize that I was trying to intimidate him in the first place.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Earlier I failed so badly on an intimidation check that the guard failed to recognize that I was trying to intimidate him in the first place.
My squirrel anima mage has a +26 intimate check and every time I have rolled it I have been successful at menacing something far bigger. It's been amazing and I am going to miss playing him (our final encounter is this Sunday).

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Yawgmoth posted:

My squirrel anima mage has a +26 intimate check and every time I have rolled it I have been successful at menacing something far bigger. It's been amazing and I am going to miss playing him (our final encounter is this Sunday).

the picture of Dorian Green

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yawgmoth posted:

:stare:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Thanks arsehole. Now I can never un-see that. Shame on you

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, the Lady of Pain decrees that you can’t pump your own gas in Sigil.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I didn’t know the City of Doors was in Oregon.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Agrikk posted:

I didn’t know the City of Doors was in Oregon.

Probably it's in New Jersey.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
When a squirrel in a plaid suit and wielding a hammer as big as you threatens you, it opens up a lot of questions at once that make it hard to fight.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Yond Cassius posted:

Probably it's in New Jersey.

Yeah, but they tell everyone it's a borough of New York.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The city guard all walking around talking in rebus puzzles like

[Hay bale] [eyeball] [wok] [picture of Greg Kinnear]

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yawgmoth posted:

When a squirrel in a plaid suit and wielding a hammer as big as you threatens you, it opens up a lot of questions at once that make it hard to fight.

If the +26 was to Intimidate, I'd understand.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, my conservative right-wing Rogue can't refuse to disarm traps because he doesn't believe in trigger warnings.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, my conservative right-wing Rogue can't refuse to disarm traps because he doesn't believe in trigger warnings.

Does he also refuse healing from Big Cleric?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the dangers of Deep Kingdom?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Does he also refuse healing from Big Cleric?

Yeah. He prefers natural healing from Hidden Druid. You have to do your own research to find them.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

You don't really need healing potions, the trick is you take a small amount of the herbs you would use to make one and suspend a tiny amount in oil, which will act as a natural defense against illness. And have a wand of Cure Moderate just in case.

But you should only need the oils! In fact, I've made some myself, I would be willing to show you how, how would you like to start your own business? :)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
"In the end, aren't all hit points temporary?"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Cure Disease is a hoax

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

“I don’t like ‘em putting chemicals in the water that TURN THE FREAKIN’ FROGS FEY!"

I'll stop now

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thecluckmeme posted:

“I don’t like ‘em putting chemicals in the water that TURN THE FREAKIN’ FROGS FEY!"

I'll stop now

Not seeing a downside tbh.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

CobiWann posted:

Yeah. He prefers natural healing from Hidden Druid. You have to do your own research to find them.

everyone knows hidden druid lives on the hidden ranch

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Agrikk posted:

Cure Disease is a hoax

I once really hosed up a boss encounter for our DM with NPC that I didn't realize was a cancer mage right before we had to fight him. We needed to interrogate him and he didn't want to let us in because he was sick, and eventually we talked him into seeing us. Being a kind and caring (and deeply corrupt) cleric, I decided to pat him on the back and surreptitiously cast Cure Disease on him. You know, so he'd feel better and be more willing to answer our questions.

Apparently I managed to take away half of his HP before the fight even started.

Afterwards, we threw him in a bag of hold and ran him to the head of my order to disinfect. We had to pull his head out a couple of times so he wouldn't suffocate and infected a few people along the way, but can't make an omelette without accidentally killing some hens, right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not seeing a downside tbh.

Formulating a response to this, I just learned that fey as in "a fey mood" and fey as in "the fey folk" are etymologically not closely related, the former coming from a germanic word meaning "doomed to die" and the latter from a French word for fairies

Of course, having seen how language poo poo tends to work, I'll bet they hook back up either at Latin or PIE

(I was going to suggest frogs are already the first type of fey for most of their lives, maybe tie it into some rough chuckles re: chytrid fungus)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So in Double Cross Biblefight Game, their non-binary gravity wizard overchanneled their powers while destroying a resurrected Fransisco Franco in Barcelona and slipped into darkness. They were seduced by the ease of simply slipping away to raise a powerful wizard tower in Britain and study the cosmos, convinced they had only been using their friends for protection rather than actually being friends because they feared they had no good side. The heroes and a bounty hunter commissions to bring Alex in without too much harm tracked them to the tower and went to climb it, distracting Alex from using their knowledge of the team's abilities by conversing with them as they went through rooms of clockwork, strange gravity voids, empty libraries the wizard intended to fill with their research, etc.

Through it all, they insisted they were coming to get Alex because it was obvious this was an unhealthy existence and they wanted to help, as Alex worried that they had been nothing but an imposition and a burden on the team. Nuala the Fairy Knight eagerly insisted all they'd done together was fair and that Alex was her friend, and Isabella the Werewolf Paladin kept gently saying no-one was free of sin. When they confronted Alex, Alex slipped into a fugue state of gravity power and cosmic calculation rather than face their worries at the moment and attacked. The team fought them, the bounty hunter they'd brought pulling out a crazy laser attack that pierced their defenses and knocked them off axis before Alex tried to crush them all in a black hole, only to realize they were killing Nuala and stop before they hurt their friend too badly (the fluff behind the attack's limited damage) because they were still in control enough to only try to disable the party. When Isabella landed the last blow, though, instead of smashing Alex back to sense or something, the werewolf pounced on them and did her best therapy dog impression, trying to bring Alex back by being cute instead of mighty after tearing through a gravity barrier.

It worked perfectly. It was such a perfect fight ending move and really put a great cap on an arc that did a great job of exploring the relationships of the characters. I wish I'd done better designing the fight (it was too easy) but that tends to happen when I come back to the game after a hiatus, I underestimate what badasses the PCs are. Alex is now going to therapy and taking a break from battle after realizing their anxiety needs treatment while God's secretary, Enoch, the son of Jared (who turned out to be the Bounty Hunter's client) pays her to fill in on the team for awhile. So now they have magitek Samus Aran for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In the final Wrath & Glory session last weekend my Tempestus Scion almost managed to one shot the boss with a bolt pistol.

The Rogue Trader and her entourage busts into the throne room of the Xenos Emperor who had possessed the body of her father, alongside a Farseer and his Warlocks. But we arrive too late to stop the corrupted Eldar Avatar from being summoned (the xenos race was very big on corrupting Eldar tech in this case) and battle is joined.

After blitzing down a bunch of the bodyguards my character gets held in place and has her main weapon flung out of her hand at the same time so now it's out of reach. But I can still act so my turn comes up and I do the only thing I can think of, pull my sidearm and just start shooting. And manage to roll so well that the GM goes "Well that just happened" and then on Discord mentions that I had been two wounds away from one shotting him with that roll.
Then I finished him off with a roll almost as good as the first one and killed him.
Which also made the Avatar crumble to dust as he was a load bearing miniboss.

Not bad if I have to say myself. :D