Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

Ah, the Sword of Damocles, famously dangling above the head of some loving loser with heavily marginalized power.

I know it shouldnt but it still amazes me at how often right wing politicians in particular butcher the simplest metaphors and references.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to study why this is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Hamelekim posted:

Chinese real-estate investment in Canada is a quality of life issue.

Chinese real-estate investment is not, and never has been, the reason our home prices are too high. Dumb Canadians who borrow as much as they possibly can—more than their incomes will let them repay—are the reason.

Typo posted:

foreign buyers prob did play a significant part in the initial bubble phase back in 2013 or so

No, it was still domestic purchasers, with the help of huge loans (for which the primary qualification was fogging a mirror) and long amortizations. And this runup started in about 2004, not 2013, with only a mild hiccup when the U.S. housing market imploded (and that's when Canadian policymakers really leaned into their policy of "no amount of debt is too much to stop number from going down").

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

I know it shouldnt but it still amazes me at how often right wing politicians in particular butcher the simplest metaphors and references.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to study why this is the case.

Consider a scene from one of the finest comedies of all time: A Fish Called Wanda.

"... you ape!"

"Apes don't read philosophy!"

"Yes they do, they just don't understand it."

Jason Kenney is like Otto and/or an ape, but with literally none of the charm.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Maybe, but Erin O'Toole was the one invoking the Sword of Damocles

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, swap O'Toole in place of Scheer on that dumb Resistance photo and what has really changed?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Until I see O’Toole chug a whole Stella pint glass of milk, I know that he’s not my guy

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Watching the Trudeau stream about federal public servants needing to be vaxxed.

CanPol 2021 - Inchoate, amorphous concerns.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Aces High posted:

I dunno, swap O'Toole in place of Scheer on that dumb Resistance photo and what has really changed?

Please be respectful of our Canadian Heritage.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

tagesschau posted:

Chinese real-estate investment is not, and never has been, the reason our home prices are too high. Dumb Canadians who borrow as much as they possibly can—more than their incomes will let them repay—are the reason.
I would have assumed people owning more houses then they need / using housing as speculative investment would be the problem.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

InfiniteZero posted:

Speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/ls_gibson/status/1445576013010796553

We'll let future statue sculptors decide how "no history of colonialism" stacks up against serial blackface.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

tagesschau posted:

I mean we can call them dumb but in the end they've all made several hundred thousand dollars in the last few years while paying less than I do in rent sooooooo

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

TheCenturion posted:

Watching the Trudeau stream about federal public servants needing to be vaxxed.

CanPol 2021 - Inchoate, amorphous concerns.

BC gov got told yesterday we all need to be vaxxed. I don't think many people are bothered by that, at least in my department.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Oxyclean posted:

I would have assumed people owning more houses then they need / using housing as speculative investment would be the problem.

Yeah, all the policy reconfiguration is just nibbling around the edges at minor bits and pieces that have no real impact.
Real estate is a lucrative investment so this is what happens when it's basically a can't lose proposition (at least so far). Tax-free capital gains on a primary home is maybe okay to keep if the tradeoff is regulations and taxes that make it as unpalatable as possible to own a second property and simultaneously having the feds operate as much rental housing as possible.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Alctel posted:

I mean we can call them dumb but in the end they've all made several hundred thousand dollars in the last few years while paying less than I do in rent sooooooo

They've all sold their homes and have those dollars in their bank account? No, you say? Then who do they all plan to sell them to? If the answer is people who are buying with money that's been borrowed (especially against other housing), instead of people who actually have the income or wealth to back up these home purchases, it's guaranteed that they have not all made several hundred thousand dollars.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
as long as they're not the sucker holding the bag when everything crashes it's fine.

And given that every single party, even the "left" party refuses to acknowledge that homes shouldn't be an ever-growing investment, betting on a government backed ponzi scheme continuing to function a bit longer isn't the worst bet in the world.

And yeah, you're not going to make money on your principal residence until you retire and scale down to something smaller or move more remote, but that's why anyone seriously juicing the system isn't just buying one property.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm reasonably sure every party is all in on homes as an investment because homeowners vote and because so much of the Canadian economy is now dependant on money coming from housing and new development. Something like 2/3rds of my clients would either have to scale back or go out of business if the housing market started to decline, let alone crash, and absolutely no party wants to be the one responsible for that.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Oh for sure the second any major party says "you know what, home prices are too high, we need to lower them" they will guaranteed have zero seats in the next parliament.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
The Libs are up to 160 seats now, I guess they can call it a win

still clearly short of a majority, but again lol@actually gaining seats while losing votes and the PV

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

InfiniteZero posted:

an oldie

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think Scott Moe really planned this news announcement. It's mostly been the Premier yelling at people for accusing him of being bought out by pharmaceutical companies and this other public safety guy clearly doesn't know how many resources will be needed to implement their nebulous and vague response plan.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

enki42 posted:

as long as they're not the sucker holding the bag when everything crashes it's fine.

I'm not the type of person who would bet hundreds of thousands of dollars on being better at musical chairs than everyone else.

enki42 posted:

And given that every single party, even the "left" party refuses to acknowledge that homes shouldn't be an ever-growing investment, betting on a government backed ponzi scheme continuing to function a bit longer isn't the worst bet in the world.

The full force of the Canadian government and the Bank of Canada combined can't do poo poo to counter the global bond market. In the face of enough global tightening, the opinion of Canadian homeowners that home prices should continue to go up, because of reasons, is laughably irrelevant.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Typo posted:

The Libs are up to 160 seats now, I guess they can call it a win

still clearly short of a majority, but again lol@actually gaining seats while losing votes and the PV

who lost out? NDP? Greens?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

tagesschau posted:

I'm not the type of person who would bet hundreds of thousands of dollars on being better at musical chairs than everyone else.

The full force of the Canadian government and the Bank of Canada combined can't do poo poo to counter the global bond market. In the face of enough global tightening, the opinion of Canadian homeowners that home prices should continue to go up, because of reasons, is laughably irrelevant.

Yeah, but that's when the landmark "Economic hardship relief fund for homeowners" bill gets passed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

who lost out? NDP? Greens?

Bloc, I think. It was a Quebec seat.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Alberta.

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1446135757404622850

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wow, a whole day's worth of cases.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

tagesschau posted:

I am. It's a little different when the game of musical chairs has been going for decades and the entire political system from City Councilor to PM is dedicated to ensuring that it keeps going. If I could somehow get enough for a down payment I'd be all over that poo poo. Does anyone here want to lend me $100,000

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

To be fair the federal one was useless too. Not Alberta levels of useless, but still.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Libs: owned. Totally. Great job Alberta.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I keep getting calls from the Government of Canada Quarantine Monitoring Service telling me I need to quarantine after my trip outside of Canada, but I never went on a trip outside of Canada, and there isn't any way for me to contact them and tell them they have the wrong number.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

pokeyman posted:

To be fair the federal one was useless too. Not Alberta levels of useless, but still.

Yes, but if they used the federal one Albertans would have only paid for one useless thing instead of two. What was their concern with the federal app anyway? All of those apps are basically thin shells over the built-in phone functionality anyway.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

McGavin posted:

I keep getting calls from the Government of Canada Quarantine Monitoring Service telling me I need to quarantine after my trip outside of Canada, but I never went on a trip outside of Canada, and there isn't any way for me to contact them and tell them they have the wrong number.

Maybe they are calling Tyler Durden?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

enki42 posted:

Yes, but if they used the federal one Albertans would have only paid for one useless thing instead of two. What was their concern with the federal app anyway? All of those apps are basically thin shells over the built-in phone functionality anyway.

I don't remember them articulating any concern. I assume corruption is the real answer.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Starks posted:

I am. It's a little different when the game of musical chairs has been going for decades and the entire political system from City Councilor to PM is dedicated to ensuring that it keeps going.

You cut out the part where I pointed out that the entire political system won't be able to stop number from going down. The only thing that would even come close is inflating the currency to the point where your house stays at $1 million, but gas is now $5 and it costs $10 to take the TTC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kenney announces a $2000 incentive get small businesses to sign onto the vaccine passport system. Couldn't possibly mandate something when you can give them a 2K bribe (with no stipulations on what it can be used for) to "cover exemptions program costs".

Also, only two vaccinated households per Thanksgiving meeting, pretty please? Personal responsibility!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I mean, there's no good way to enforce household gathering limits, but holy gently caress why is the rule not "no other households, enjoy your zoom thanksgiving"?

enki42 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 7, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

enki42 posted:

I mean, there's no good way to enforce household gathering limits, but holy gently caress why is the rule not "no other households, enjoy your zoom thanksgiving"?

It doesn't matter. The worthless loving plague rats we keep bending over backwards and sacrificing organ transplants and cancer surgeries to appease won't follow unenforced rules anyways. They're going to get together with 10 households full of equally loving worthless plague rats and kill grandma, the mailman, and, and some random fast food worker to eat some dry loving turkey.Before November we'll have blown through the surge capacity of the ICU because muh freedums and "rules are for sheep and i'm a wolf". That will of course earn a "tut tut" from Kenney the Clown, and another feckless request for more personal responsibility.

Kenney will never get us out of this. Never. Never. If we ever get out of this insane loop it will be in spite of him, and he will still take 100% of the credit.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from Canadian politics it’s that all the major parties including the NDP are so entirely dedicated to housing values increasing that they will leverage all state resources to keep the game rolling as long as possible. I imagine this will continue until the point of it even becoming the state’s major purpose. It’s almost as if our society is less working/upper class and more renter/homeowner.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

All the homeowners have to die eventually then it's payday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Normy posted:

All the homeowners have to die eventually then it's payday!

Blackrock will never die unfortunately.