Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

In the Wikipedia article for Lolita it said that Steve Martin wrote a short story that is a continuation from her point of view and talks about how she uses her wiles to continue charming men until she passes in her 60s or something.

I feel there's a lot to unpack there, especially since she dies in childbirth not too long after HH is executed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Torquemada posted:

Not even close to the worst thing,

There’s not a yikes big enough.

If you want to feel absolute rage, read some of Freud's case studies, specifically Dora. Poor kid is groomed and sexually assaulted by her parents' friend, and Freud tries to convince her that her hysteria stems from the fact that she's harboring a secret desire for the man. When she argues that she doesn't, Freud decides that it's because she's actually horny for the guy's wife.

I know Freud's bullshit has been thoroughly debunked, but jesus.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m more surprised he let her change his mind

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Take out the E and put in an A and that’s my opinion of Freud!

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I'm afred of him too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

This post has not fared well.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Elissimpark posted:

Nabakov does the unreliable narrator pretty well; Pale Fire has a delusioned and obsessed narrator too.

I read Pale Fire a few years ago and it was one piece of media that DID age well; I can only imagine what kind of reception it got when it came out.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Interesting question: Can something edgy and controversial at the time can age worse if the consequences(Or exposure of them) would be worse if they made it today?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

oldpainless posted:

More like oldcigarless

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Rockit posted:

Interesting question: Can something edgy and controversial at the time can age worse if the consequences(Or exposure of them) would be worse if they made it today?

That IS a good question.
Did you have a title in mind?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Blazing Saddles?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Silly Newbie posted:

More like oldcigarless

Please. Sometimes oldpainless is just oldpainless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr.Chill posted:

That IS a good question.

The Hangover 2

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Blazing Saddles?

I’ve heard Boomers complain that “you just couldn’t make Blazing Saddles today because everyone gets so offended!!!”

It’s a savage satire on westerns, similar to how Deadpool movies are pretty savage against almost all the other marvel movies (at least the ones they could reference then). I mean christ, there’s heavily implied pegging in a movie now owned by Disney ffs.

I do wonder how well Deadpool will age, but whoever succeeds Ryan Reynolds to play the character will at least be cracking jokes about how he used to be ugly until the studio changed the actor.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I do wonder how well Deadpool will age, but whoever succeeds Ryan Reynolds to play the character will at least be cracking jokes about how he used to be ugly until the studio changed the actor.

Deadpool's been around as a character since the 90s, so we can start getting an idea. I'm not great at knowing how comic runs are received outside of the famous flops, but generally speaking I think the thing with Deadpool isn't that his comics become offensive, they become unfunny. He's prone to references that become dated, or senses of humor that age out pretty bad.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean it's been said before by smarter people but Blazing Saddles was pretty drat controversial when it came out and people DID complain about it.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Rockit posted:

South Park's global warming poo poo springs to mind.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’ve heard Boomers complain that “you just couldn’t make Blazing Saddles today because everyone gets so offended!!!”

Everybody who says this is laughing at it for the wrong reasons.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Captain Fargle posted:

South Park's global warming poo poo springs to mind.

South Park in general too.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Mr.Chill posted:

That IS a good question.

"Why you never became a dancer" by whitehouse
Or whitehouse in general . No one has the patience to have be a part politically contradictory fandoms to egg on like that and targeting someone for faking their trauma is just a recipe to call you an irresponsible idiot if the apparent excuse i found out of it being an trollish made but entirely genuine shoutout was true. People would just get mobbed if a guy had the same fandom today.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what you're talking about

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wouldn’t the Iraq War support episodes some shows did look a lot worse today, while looking worse pretty quick over time?

But they did just have that Afghan Translator show do an episode about the withdrawal.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Fish of hemp posted:

Everybody who says this is laughing at it for the wrong reasons.

I got pretty wary of a roommate that replayed the little old lady scene again and again and again.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In today's overly sensitive PC culture, you could not make A Million Ways to Die in the West.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rockit posted:

"Why you never became a dancer" by whitehouse
Or whitehouse in general . No one has the patience to have be a part politically contradictory fandoms to egg on like that and targeting someone for faking their trauma is just a recipe to call you an irresponsible idiot if the apparent excuse i found out of it being an trollish made but entirely genuine shoutout was true. People would just get mobbed if a guy had the same fandom today.

This is incomprehensible, did autocorrect get you?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's all kinds of deliberately provocative movies that come out, they're just usually very bad so they are quickly forgotten instead of becoming cultural touchpoints

this extremely racist and bad movie came out in 2019 and i dont know of any conversation around it except people noting "wow, this looks really bad" when it came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQKCgpHTU2g

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

HopperUK posted:

This is incomprehensible, did autocorrect get you?
I asume so let me restate this:
It's a dumb noise track where an reference to an artist was interpreted as an attack of said artist based on rape apologia.

You have to dig through obscure interviews to find out he actually liked the artist and viewed her in pretty much the opposite terms.

It's either an character study that's about an rape apologist or an trollish attempts to attack his own scene that brings up an positive example.

It still paints an target on someone a good chunk of his fans would think is just an attention whore and it's a miracle if she wasn't affected by this.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
If anything, it's even more incomprehensible. Some dude with less than 200 subscribers made a really lovely song with 4k views that may or may not have attacked another musician? Was he the rape apologist, or her? How is it a miracle that she wasn't affected by this? Why do a good chunk of his fans, i.e. a few dozen people, think this unspecified woman is an attention whore and why does it paint a target on her? Do they regularly play at the same townie dive bar or something?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
is this a trick to get me to listen to a noise track

if so, i dont appreciate it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Yeah that is not coherent

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Preem Palver posted:

If anything, it's even more incomprehensible. Some dude with less than 200 subscribers made a really lovely song with 4k views that may or may not have attacked another musician? Was he the rape apologist, or her? How is it a miracle that she wasn't affected by this? Why do a good chunk of his fans, i.e. a few dozen people, think this unspecified woman is an attention whore and why does it paint a target on her? Do they regularly play at the same townie dive bar or something?

Ok. Not everyone here is a dumb rear end music nerd. Fair enough. Probably shouldn't have posted contextless like that.

For the record there's more to this group than low subs but it's not the kind of thing where people care to go to the source anymore:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehouse_(band)

He was(at least pratically) the rape apologist and not her and this genre of music kinda has trouble making their intentions clear and in this case an refusal to.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Rockit posted:

Ok. Not everyone here is a dumb rear end music nerd. Fair enough. Probably shouldn't have posted contextless like that.

For the record there's more to this group than low subs but it's not the kind of thing where people care to go to the source anymore:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehouse_(band)

He was(at least pratically) the rape apologist and not her and this genre of music kinda has trouble making their intentions clear and in this case an refusal to.

Yeah, this isn't something a dumb rear end music nerd would know unless they're into a specific subgenre of an unpopular genre. Their biggest claim to fame is collaborating with J.G. Thirlwell 40 years ago, and he's already fairly obscure unless you're really into the Venture Bros or went on a deep dive with Zola Jesus.

I stumbled across San Francisco's Shiver in a torrent like 15 years ago and fell in love with them, but I wouldn't expect even a hardcore psychedelic rock or stoner metal fan, much less random people in a forum, to know who they are despite being both rad as hell and fairly influential on subsequent heavy psychedelic music. They're still way more popular than Whitehouse according to youtube views, and they recorded a single album in 1972 that wasn't even released for nearly another 30 years and is a pale imitation of what they must have sounded like in a live show.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Preem Palver posted:

Yeah, this isn't something a dumb rear end music nerd would know unless they're into a specific subgenre of an unpopular genre. Their biggest claim to fame is collaborating with J.G. Thirlwell 40 years ago, and he's already fairly obscure unless you're really into the Venture Bros or went on a deep dive with Zola Jesus.

I stumbled across San Francisco's Shiver in a torrent like 15 years ago and fell in love with them, but I wouldn't expect even a hardcore psychedelic rock or stoner metal fan, much less random people in a forum, to know who they are despite being both rad as hell and fairly influential on subsequent heavy psychedelic music. They're still way more popular than Whitehouse according to youtube views, and they recorded a single album in 1972 that wasn't even released for nearly another 30 years and is a pale imitation of what they must have sounded like in a live show.

That's not unfair but their actual claim to fame is being sampled by indie-ish hip hop artists. Or that there's an lovely low-fi video of that song that hit a one million(3 mil by now, huh) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNKgah948s

Rockit has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Oct 7, 2021

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Somehow I thought this conversation was leading to LINGUA IGNOTA, so I guess now I've summoned her.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Thirwell is probably better known in some circles as Foetus, like my circles.
Also known as the band Raymond Watts from Pig kind of ripped off a bit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S where Chandler quits his job in statistical reconfiguration and data analysis to work in advertising with absolutely zero experience and expecting to find a paying job immediately instead of having to eat poo poo via an unpaid internship lmao Gen Xers as written by Baby Boomers were wild.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Calaveron posted:

This episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S where Chandler quits his job in statistical reconfiguration and data analysis to work in advertising with absolutely zero experience and expecting to find a paying job immediately instead of having to eat poo poo via an unpaid internship lmao Gen Xers as written by Baby Boomers were wild.

What do you mean? He probably just went right down to the advertising agency office with his resume, asked to speak to the manager and gave them a firm handshake, obviously.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Chandler did become an intern with a bunch of younger people. Him eating poo poo was a multiple episode subplot. I can't remember if he was getting paid or not but the show really stopped caring about money after the first couple seasons other than occasional Joey jokes.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
He was not getting paid for his internship. There was an episode where both he and Monica ask the now-successful Joey for money and hijinx ensure.

Then he got hired as a “junior copywriter” and somehow didn’t have to worry about money anymore despite that being an entry-level position.

F•R•I•E•N•D•S is clearly a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Shiroc posted:

Chandler did become an intern with a bunch of younger people. Him eating poo poo was a multiple episode subplot. I can't remember if he was getting paid or not but the show really stopped caring about money after the first couple seasons other than occasional Joey jokes.

Yeah but it's funny that after he manages to get a foot in the door via his wife's contact he still expects a paying job for a thing he has 0 experience for instead of having to do unpaid pre-entry level labor