Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I mean, the overlap between old boardgamers and belief in The Bell Curve has to be close to 1:1, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, Gygax was a lovely person and deserved it. As a D&D nerd I didn't feel personally affronted.

I mean said strip was 99% just bashing on nerds in weirdly specific mean & petty ways pretty much none of which actually had anything to do with D&D itself outside of a really dumb dice joke or two(really what makes the strip so bad is that it's painfully unfunny by Achewood's usual standards)

Like you can tell Onstead had never played D&D before and indeed knew nothing about it beyond it involving elves and dice

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It was certainly specific in weird ways, but that's why it didn't bother me. I've never played with anyone who had a weird center-part ponytail mohawk.

A lot of weird teenage drama around the only girl in the group, now that's a thing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It was pretty generic nerd jokes with an Onstad twist to it (references to rennet and special convoluted dice that only work if they fall on a pencil made Achewood sense) but the part that told you he had done something like D&D at some point was the vaguely wistful ending where everyone moves away or ends up in jail or some such. That part felt lived in. He seems to have viewed D&D primarly as a lens to his own delinquent childhood since the whole thing felt like trying to explain the lyrics to a Hold Steady song.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:cmon:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Magnetic North posted:

I mean, the overlap between old boardgamers and belief in The Bell Curve has to be close to 1:1, right?
Why do you think so many old rpgs had dice probability charts?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Why do you think so many old rpgs had dice probability charts?
Gygax's day job was as an actuary for an insurance company.

So now you know why early D&D was full of bell curves and population distributions and trying to figure out the proper probability of things happening.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

theironjef posted:

It was pretty generic nerd jokes with an Onstad twist to it (references to rennet and special convoluted dice that only work if they fall on a pencil made Achewood sense) but the part that told you he had done something like D&D at some point was the vaguely wistful ending where everyone moves away or ends up in jail or some such. That part felt lived in. He seems to have viewed D&D primarly as a lens to his own delinquent childhood since the whole thing felt like trying to explain the lyrics to a Hold Steady song.
The most lived-in Achewood RPG content isn't that strip (here, for ease of reference), it's this blog post from Pat, which perfectly captures the tone of someone singing the praises of a rather dry supplement for a very crunch-heavy game like Rolemaster or something.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FMguru posted:

So now you know why early D&D was full of bell curves and population distributions and trying to figure out the proper probability of things happening.

:ssh: It was a joke about a 1994 racist book.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Warthur posted:

The most lived-in Achewood RPG content isn't that strip (here, for ease of reference), it's this blog post from Pat, which perfectly captures the tone of someone singing the praises of a rather dry supplement for a very crunch-heavy game like Rolemaster or something.

Notably if you go forward from the D&D one you'll see he was on a real kick about white trash types at the time, since the next one is straight up making fun of drunk blue collar husbands and the one after that fat people at Disneyland. Must've been watching a Honey Boo Boo marathon while drunk or something. Dude is sort of a judgy piece of poo poo (see any comic about Mexicans or Mexican food).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Not sure what is your game here trying to smear a whole generation of hobbyists there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Not sure what is your game here trying to smear a whole generation of hobbyists there.
I wouldn't describe the bell curve fans as hobbyists myself

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

theironjef posted:

Notably if you go forward from the D&D one you'll see he was on a real kick about white trash types at the time, since the next one is straight up making fun of drunk blue collar husbands and the one after that fat people at Disneyland. Must've been watching a Honey Boo Boo marathon while drunk or something. Dude is sort of a judgy piece of poo poo (see any comic about Mexicans or Mexican food).

True, usually it has funnier results though, that was a bit of a bad stretch of strips

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Splicer posted:

I wouldn't describe the bell curve fans as hobbyists myself

Magnetic North posted:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FMguru posted:

I thought he was an underwriter.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, I'm looking for GMless two-player RPGs that are more on the upbeat side. Doesn't have to be sunshine and unicorns, but nothing depressing. Any suggestions?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Haystack posted:

So, I'm looking for GMless two-player RPGs that are more on the upbeat side. Doesn't have to be sunshine and unicorns, but nothing depressing. Any suggestions?

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to plug my latest creation, See Issue X! It's about superhero stories and also being the writer who has to deal with a superhero's increasingly crufty backstory. It can be played solo or as a group or switching between those modes.

If I'm not plugging my own work then I'd point you to Cozy Town, which I haven't played but I think meets your criteria.

I'm sure there must be others so I'll be back as I think of them.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

potatocubed posted:

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to plug my latest creation, See Issue X! It's about superhero stories and also being the writer who has to deal with a superhero's increasingly crufty backstory. It can be played solo or as a group or switching between those modes.

If I'm not plugging my own work then I'd point you to Cozy Town, which I haven't played but I think meets your criteria.

I'm sure there must be others so I'll be back as I think of them.

Thank you so much! Your game sounds adorable, I'll be sure to run it past my wife.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Haystack posted:

I think I've got the perfect thing for you. As part of getting over writer's block I managed to trick myself into working on a little game whenever my brain wouldn't let me work on the big game I'm writing. It's now just about ready to publish. It's called Ariadne and Bob, and it's about a know-it-all and her sidekick. It's designed for 2 players, with options for adding in a third or fourth. It has several playsets to choose from setting-wise: fantasy, sci-fi, horror movies (but the game is pretty funny so it tends to horror-comedy), high society (think Jeeves and Wooster), and one for traveling through history or fiction (like Mr. Peabody and Sherman).

I've played it several times now and it's a lot of fun. If you're interested, I'll PM you a link to the doc.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Jimbozig posted:

I think I've got the perfect thing for you. As part of getting over writer's block I managed to trick myself into working on a little game whenever my brain wouldn't let me work on the big game I'm writing. It's now just about ready to publish. It's called Ariadne and Bob, and it's about a know-it-all and her sidekick. It's designed for 2 players, with options for adding in a third or fourth. It has several playsets to choose from setting-wise: fantasy, sci-fi, horror movies (but the game is pretty funny so it tends to horror-comedy), high society (think Jeeves and Wooster), and one for traveling through history or fiction (like Mr. Peabody and Sherman).

I've played it several times now and it's a lot of fun. If you're interested, I'll PM you a link to the doc.

That would be very appreciated! Thank you, cool Strike! guy!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I found my old copy of betrayal legacy again that I only played one game of and really wanna play again.

Problem is my roommate HATES the idea of legacy games. I found out from my GF that they went on a massive rant about how I can waste money on something that we can only play once when I got JOTL Gloomhaven.

Now I'm afraid to touch My copy of gloomhaven again along with Betrayal for the same reason. Its gonna start a fight.

I just wanted to play a legacy game. The idea sounds so cool :smith:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Wow, your roommate sounds like a barrel of laughs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tell them to buy you the reusable sticker kits for Gloomhaven, problem solved.

Or just track progress in the unofficial(?) app, I guess.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

BigRed0427 posted:

I found my old copy of betrayal legacy again that I only played one game of and really wanna play again.

Problem is my roommate HATES the idea of legacy games. I found out from my GF that they went on a massive rant about how I can waste money on something that we can only play once when I got JOTL Gloomhaven.

Now I'm afraid to touch My copy of gloomhaven again along with Betrayal for the same reason. Its gonna start a fight.

I had no clue Betrayal Legacy was a thing, this looks sick. We used to play Betrayal and later with the expansion all the time when in-person game nights were a thing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I had a brief hiccup regarding legacy games early on when a friend bought Pandemic Legacy. I initially suggested we put the stickers on cards and clip them to the real cards so we could use it again or something. He said "You know how many games I have spent exactly the same amount of money on, played six times in three months, then stuck in my closet for the rest of time? At least with this one the obsolescence is planned so I won't feel guilty about cold storage" and since then it's been Legacy games all the time.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

change my name posted:

I had no clue Betrayal Legacy was a thing, this looks sick. We used to play Betrayal and later with the expansion all the time when in-person game nights were a thing.

I know right. Especially since the game has so much hidden stuff to it and just grows the more you play.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

theironjef posted:

I had a brief hiccup regarding legacy games early on when a friend bought Pandemic Legacy. I initially suggested we put the stickers on cards and clip them to the real cards so we could use it again or something. He said "You know how many games I have spent exactly the same amount of money on, played six times in three months, then stuck in my closet for the rest of time? At least with this one the obsolescence is planned so I won't feel guilty about cold storage" and since then it's been Legacy games all the time.

I probably played more games of Pandemic Legacy in the past five years than any three other games combined. Ever since I got burned out on Dominion and 7 Wonders basically.

Edit: Also I had kids.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 7, 2021

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

change my name posted:

Just an FYI that one of the developers for Betrayal Legacy, JR Honeycutt, was outed as an abuser a couple of years back and basically blacklisted in the industry. No idea if he still gets royalties from the game but it's worth looking into if that factors into your game buying decisions.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

BigRed0427 posted:

Replace your roommate with legacy games.

Both will eventually reach a state where you can't really interact with them any more, but at least you'll enjoy the process of getting there with a legacy game.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, reminder that one of the selling points of Betrayal Legacy is that you run through a curated list of 13 or so good Betrayal events and then you have a customized but otherwise normal copy of Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Of all legacy games, they have the least to complain about with this one.

MockingQuantum posted:

Just an FYI that one of the developers for Betrayal Legacy, JR Honeycutt, was outed as an abuser a couple of years back and basically blacklisted in the industry. No idea if he still gets royalties from the game but it's worth looking into if that factors into your game buying decisions.

Well poo poo. That genuinely really sucks, and I'm mad now.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I can't have a legacy pc version of any of these games?

Yes I know Gloomhaven 1.0 is comming, ill get that then.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Why would you ever pay for a game you can only play "once"?!?!?!

By "once," I mean dozens of times over hundreds of hours.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Betrayal Legacy was Fine! Looking forward to finally playing my legacied copy of it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello I am here to geek out about my new Wyrmwood Classic Adventuring Party personal dice tray, obsidian dice, and classic dice.

:neckbeard:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I知 on the record as saying dicetrays are silly and I知 not a fan.

But loving A, hoss, that is a really good looking box. Premo woodwork. You got me jealous of a thing I don稚 even want. Exemplary job to all involved.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Infinitum posted:

Hello I am here to geek out about my new Wyrmwood Classic Adventuring Party personal dice tray, obsidian dice, and classic dice.

:neckbeard:

Very cute.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I知 on the record as saying dicetrays are silly and I知 not a fan.

But loving A, hoss, that is a really good looking box. Premo woodwork. You got me jealous of a thing I don稚 even want. Exemplary job to all involved.

I think their standard trays in a single wood look bland as hell, but these ones were super dope as they layered different woods.
I can 100% appreciate tray = dumb, but I'm def going to get some use out of it and it hearing the sound of stone dice bouncing off the wood makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Wyrmwood do good poo poo, but they're on the expensive end of things.
I backed their hexagonal gaming system on KS, and I'm probably going to be dropping a fair chunk of change on it so I can bling out my table for me and my players to enjoy on board game days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A tray is a nice thing to have your dice tower empty out into when you use it. I made one for a goon for last year's secret santa and while the tray I made for it was very plain, it was aromatic cedar which adds a nice element I think.

That tray you got Infinitium is very nice. I like the layered effect. Doing that isn't really worth it if you only make one, but you could glue up a long plank or two and then make a bunch of boxes and the time spent would get shared out between them and that'd be cool. Maybe I'll do a project like that one of these days.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Thanks for the link. I really like how they show off the grain in the picture of the rosewood one.

And if dicetrays make you happy, go to drat town on it and enjoy. Just so long as that beautiful box gets some love.

I知 gonna see if I can cobble together a reason to get one myself, like if I reorganize how I store my spices or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'd buy a tray if I ever lose my mind and buy some solid metal/actual stone dice to protect the tabletop surface, if nothing else.