Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, it feels weirder when you're dealing with an immortal psychopathic shapeshifting time travelling immortal alien cannibal. Would it be so bad if the Master was killed by racists?

You do not, under any circumstances, gotta give it to the Nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Maybe it's just me but I feel the character of the Doctor should be a bit above weaponizing racism, or indeed wanting to kill the Master. You want a hero that delights in wiping their enemies out, go watch the Punisher or some poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

On the whole, Doctor Who is a very silly show about a trickster who defeats evil with the power of love, sometimes very literally, and who refuses to choose between two morally ambiguous choices, so it's tonally weird when the character does something like watch ruthlessly as a big pile of spider babies drown while their mother begs for their lives, casually notes that he couldn't save the Ood like they weren't that important anyway, leaves their oldest friend to be killed by the Nazis, etc.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cerv posted:

not much left in the budget after that
Idris Elba runs around quarries and the same redressed corridor set for 13 episodes, defeating enemies with charisma and clever writing? Could work.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Bicyclops posted:

On the whole, Doctor Who is a very silly show about a trickster who defeats evil with the power of love, sometimes very literally, and who refuses to choose between two morally ambiguous choices, so it's tonally weird when the character does something like watch ruthlessly as a big pile of spider babies drown while their mother begs for their lives, casually notes that he couldn't save the Ood like they weren't that important anyway, leaves their oldest friend to be killed by the Nazis, etc.

It's also weird how two different showrunners handled the whole "The Doctor has to stop the Master even though they are the last two remaining Time Lords in existence" thing.

Ten: *sobbing and weeping as the Master, refusing to regenerate out of spite, dies in his arms*

Thirteen: "I'll just let the Nazis deal with you lol"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Idris Elba is an absolutely incredible dramatic actor, but the only comedy I've ever seen him do is The Office, and that's as a straight man. Could be that I've just missed his more whimsical roles. I sure as hell would never object to seeing him as Doctor Who, but the franchise he would have been best for is James Bond IMO. He's pushing 50 so we'll probably never see it at this point.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still bewildered that Revolution of the Daleks didn't open with Jack discovering that the Doctor could have escaped at ANY TIME and has basically been using the prison as a place to do some thinking and is just casually leaving her cell whenever she feels like it, solving problems, befriending prisoners and guards alike (and helping them with personal problems and teaching them to grow as people), teaching the Judoon to play snap etc. Jack shows up and she basically goes,"Ahhhh jeez, well I can't just let you stay here so I guess I have to escape now" and just walks out the front door.

Either that or she should have been pulling a Hogan's Heroes PURELY because she really digs Hogan's Heroes and thought it would be fun to do that for a couple decades before bouncing to rejoin Yaz, Ryan and Graham.

That opening was the definition of the sheer laziness.
They could have had the Doctor spend decades there, so many stories and situations.
Made friends with some enemies she fought before, and all broke out is some mad complicated scheme
Hell, she could have just come across Jack who was serving a sentence there, and Jack goes 'Now I know what those words you said to me last means!', or 'You told me to give you this' and its a Tardis key, or some Bill & Ted time travel poo poo.
But no just a badly CGed bouncy ball effect and insta out.

Doctor who cliffhangers used to be worth waiting for, but the last few were utter copouts, forget them here's a one second distraction instead.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Payndz posted:

Casting a "who?" for Who gave us Tom Baker and Matt Smith, so they shouldn't be afraid to do it. But these are risk-averse times for the BBC, and RTD has a record of casting people he's worked with before, so I would have zero surprise if it was someone from Years And Years or It's A Sin.

Who's the most famous person to be cast as the Doctor? I'd guess Peter Davison, Christopher Eccleston or Peter Capaldi, with Davison probably the most mainstream-famous from All Creatures Great And Small.

It depends what you mean by "fame", Capaldi's has an Oscar, so on that level it was probably him.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

happyhippy posted:

That opening was the definition of the sheer laziness.
They could have had the Doctor spend decades there, so many stories and situations.
Made friends with some enemies she fought before, and all broke out is some mad complicated scheme
Hell, she could have just come across Jack who was serving a sentence there, and Jack goes 'Now I know what those words you said to me last means!', or 'You told me to give you this' and its a Tardis key, or some Bill & Ted time travel poo poo.
But no just a badly CGed bouncy ball effect and insta out.

Doctor who cliffhangers used to be worth waiting for, but the last few were utter copouts, forget them here's a one second distraction instead.

She couldn't just break out, she was busy reciting Harry Potter to herself...

elf help book fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 5, 2021

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Bicyclops posted:

Idris Elba is an absolutely incredible dramatic actor, but the only comedy I've ever seen him do is The Office, and that's as a straight man. Could be that I've just missed his more whimsical roles. I sure as hell would never object to seeing him as Doctor Who, but the franchise he would have been best for is James Bond IMO. He's pushing 50 so we'll probably never see it at this point.

He would have been an amazing Bond, I hope they put him with Daniel Craig in something Knives-Outish, I think they'd work so well together.

Elba can do comedy, like in this one where he teams up with a great "never was The Doctor", Lenny Henry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CVrUFSFHag

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Elba created and starred in a comedy drama series called In The Long Run roughly based on his life, and that ran for 3 seasons.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I stand corrected on his comedy chops, then.

BooDooBoo posted:

He would have been an amazing Bond, I hope they put him with Daniel Craig in something Knives-Outish, I think they'd work so well together.

Hell, if the sequel to that does well enough for them to make more, he can just be in a Knives Out 3. Netflix paid a lot of money for the rights, I'm sure they'd like it to continue for awhile.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's also weird how two different showrunners handled the whole "The Doctor has to stop the Master even though they are the last two remaining Time Lords in existence" thing.

Ten: *sobbing and weeping as the Master, refusing to regenerate out of spite, dies in his arms*

Thirteen: "I'll just let the Nazis deal with you lol"

It really doesn't feel like Chibnall thought about Gallifrey being lost again in terms of how the characters would react to it and what it would mean to them. It serves merely the purpose of letting the Doctor know that the Master is really pissed and later making dead Gallifrey a backdrop for the Timeless Child stuff.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It really doesn't feel like Chibnall thought

Pretty much sums up his entire run thus far :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The next Doctor should take the form of a former companion.

Rose said she's ready to be in Who again I saw, so, maybe her.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Billie Piper is about the same age as Jodie Whitaker and I am sure she has grown as an actor since her time on Doctor Who, but I'm not sure if I can ever take her seriously again after they made her try to do that accent in Penny Dreadful.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Bicyclops posted:

Billie Piper is about the same age as Jodie Whitaker and I am sure she has grown as an actor since her time on Doctor Who, but I'm not sure if I can ever take her seriously again after they made her try to do that accent in Penny Dreadful.

Speaking of Penny Dreadful, time to cross the final Whovian frontier; Josh Hartnett as the Doctor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You know I really can't think of a more terrible idea than the Timeless Child, if you think about it, it's the most terrible ide-

jisforjosh posted:

Josh Hartnett as the Doctor

:stare:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

You know I really can't think of a more terrible idea than the Timeless Child, if you think about it, it's the most terrible ide-

I seen every single episode of Doctor who, reconstructions and all and still have no desire to watch the Timeless child.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

I seen every single episode of Doctor who, reconstructions and all and still have no desire to watch the Timeless child.

lol yeah. I will just before the new season comes out but it was a real enthusiasm dampener.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

Same :smith:

I frequently rewatch episodes, Timeless Child I watched ONCE more with a friend because I was hoping that it wouldn't be as bad as it was now that I knew what to expect.
It was worse :negative:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

You're welcome, it truly is the worst I could think of

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

One of the Timeless kids makes a robot for itself to play with.
Its a Dalek.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

happyhippy posted:

One of the Timeless kids makes a robot for itself to play with.
Its a Dalek.

Lil' Anakin Skywalker warns Greedo that he's going to get into trouble one day, then turns and points to another alien not seen until now, and warns Lil' Davros that he will too. "Just according to keikaku*" chuckles Palpatine, watching from across the way.

* Keikaku means plan.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

You're welcome, it truly is the worst I could think of

Please offer a warm welcome to our new head writer, Philip Martin!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Why do you want to hurt me, Bicyclops? :gonk:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Lil' Anakin Skywalker warns Greedo that he's going to get into trouble one day, then turns and points to another alien not seen until now, and warns Lil' Davros that he will too. "Just according to keikaku maclunkey*" chuckles Palpatine, watching from across the way.

* Keikaku maclunkey means plan.

Fixed that for you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Fixed that for you

This is how I learned about Maclunkey, thank you for this gift. This bizarre, why the gently caress can't Disney just release the theatrical cut on Blu-Ray gift.

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Seeing a bit of a trend

Really I see the two as unrelated! One says I don’t like the female doctor, u assumed it’s because it’s sue female, I just think she’s try’s to hard…

Someone stated that going back to a white male would be bad, I said that could be interpreted as a bit racist as the best person for the job should be chosen, I said idris elbra, who’s black.

Not sure if your calling me sexist or racist and saying the two have a connection… think you need to read more carefully myself but your welcome to your opinions.

Edit: changed the word I found out was racist, it was meant it a derogatory way, apologies

BIgDevine fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 11, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

Jerusalem posted:

Why do you want to hurt me, Bicyclops? :gonk:

You don't have to worry about that, seeing as Martin passed away somewhat recently

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well now I feel bad for speaking ill of him!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BIgDevine posted:

Really I see the two as unrelated! One says I don’t like the female doctor, u assumed it’s because it’s sue female, I just think she’s try’s to hard…

Someone stated that going back to a white male would be bad, I said that could be interpreted as a bit racist as the best person for the job should be chosen, I said idris elbra, who’s coloured.

Not sure if your calling me sexist or racist and saying the two have a connection… think you need to read more carefully myself but your welcome to your opinions.

Pro tip--Jodie has a name. Calling her "the female doctor" just makes you sound like a Ferengi.

Also..."colored"????? gently caress right off with that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Seeing a bit of a trend

BIgDevine posted:

Really I see the two as unrelated! One says I don’t like the female doctor, u assumed it’s because it’s sue female, I just think she’s try’s to hard

Someone stated that going back to a white male would be bad, I said that could be interpreted as a bit racist as the best person for the job should be chosen, I said idris elbra, who’s coloured.

Hey Jakiri, I think you're on to something

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BIgDevine posted:

Alright grandpa, let’s get you back to Facebook.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hey Jakiri, I think you're on to something

Is it that Aliens of London is one of the better revival stories

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is it that Aliens of London is one of the better revival stories

Nah, nothing quite that bad :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It has a ton of interesting ideas that are let down by some of the worst execution in the programme, but if you can get past that it's pure gold babeee

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
"What if aliens secretly took over the government and looked to start a nuclear war?"

"Yeah, and what if the aliens were a bunch of fat people who farted a lot?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Someone with buttons get that guy.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It has a ton of interesting ideas that are let down by some of the worst execution in the programme, but if you can get past that it's pure gold babeee

It's pretty hard to get past the execution though. It's definitely the direction and Eccleston tries to just ignore it, so it's like he's acting in a completely different show from the rest of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

"What if aliens secretly took over the government and looked to start a nuclear war?"

"Yeah, and what if the aliens were a bunch of fat people who farted a lot?"

By faking a different alien invasion!