Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
In High School a friend of mine wrote a terrible fanfic about Lennier rescuing David Sheridan from the Keeper in Londo's present because she felt he had been done dirty and needed redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OnlyBans posted:

Mummy told JMS that is the way he wanted the character to go and JMS was like, "Are you sure?"

Granted, part of that is because JMS is a massive incel so his vision of chivalric/romantic love is very blackpilled.

the gently caress are you babbling about

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

the gently caress are you babbling about

Since people care about primary sources, here is Mummy talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly7IE1d6rSg

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Mumy suggested to JMS that maybe Lennier could have some kind of romantic plotline. Unsure if Mumy mentioned Delenn.

JMS went "you sure, buddy?" and wrote Lennier's storyline, romantic interest and all. Mumy has complained ever since that Lennier got kind of a raw deal. JMS has pointed out that Lennier is mostly an awesome dude who just has a couple moments of weakness.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OnlyBans posted:

Since people care about primary sources, here is Mummy talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly7IE1d6rSg

i was talking about the 4chan nonsense.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

i was talking about the 4chan nonsense.

We also have a primary source for that: "Space, Time and the Incurable Romantic".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

seaborgium posted:

I did always think it was odd that he was "Mr. Garibaldi", even when he was head of security. He was part of a military organization and him not having any sort of rank/actual title was weird to me. Londo had a way of making it sound really cool though.

Chief of Security is a title, but I don’t know what his rank is.

Didn’t JMS try to pull some incel poo poo with Claudia that was another straw for her leaving?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 6, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn’t JMS try to pull some incel poo poo with Claudia that was another straw for her leaving?

He asked her out on a date.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Luigi Thirty posted:

He’s a Chief Warrant Officer. A big part of his whole deal, explicitly, throughout the show, is that he’s an enlisted guy, not a commissioned officer.

The proper address for that rank in most modern militaries is either Mr. or Chief.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hollismason posted:

Mostly there was some stuff I wanted to see resolve , mostly the Drakh what the gently caress.

This was to be dealt with in Crusade, which only got a single partial season. And I have not watched it, I really should. I got through Legend of the Rangers, it can't be worse.

Speaking of, don't forget the movies! There's one extremely good one, three mediocre, and one :stare:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

This was to be dealt with in Crusade, which only got a single partial season. And I have not watched it, I really should. I got through Legend of the Rangers, it can't be worse.

Speaking of, don't forget the movies! There's one extremely good one, three mediocre, and one :stare:

Unfortunately, none of the movies are streaming anywhere. I watched B5 on HBOMax.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Warrants typically aren't enlisted. They're officers, just not commissioned. EXCEPT for Chief Warrant Officers typically are. At least in the US forces.

Also Chief Warrant Officers don't actually exist, and are beasts of legend and mythology.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hollismason posted:

Unfortunately, none of the movies are streaming anywhere. I watched B5 on HBOMax.

Oh. I dunno anything about streaming so I cannot help.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CainFortea posted:

Warrants typically aren't enlisted. They're officers, just not commissioned. EXCEPT for Chief Warrant Officers typically are. At least in the US forces.

Also Chief Warrant Officers don't actually exist, and are beasts of legend and mythology.

My mistake on that hair split; but yeah, the point is that there is intended to be a clear class divide between him and the rest of the command staff, and his rank is absolutely part of that.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

He did have a creepy date with her that is basically in the dictionary next to "Nice Guy" but her leaving was more due to her agent and the network playing a game of chicken with each other and nobody blinked so the cars crashed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

My mistake on that hair split; but yeah, the point is that there is intended to be a clear class divide between him and the rest of the command staff, and his rank is absolutely part of that.

Sure, not arguing. Just clarifying. Also making a joke about CWOs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hollismason posted:

in the beginning is very good. i think i saw it somewhere i'll see if i can find a link.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

In the UK they're all on amazon/imdb tv for free. I'm sure you can find a VPN if nothing else.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not. I watched Crusade for the first time last year and it wasn't bad. Certainly no worse than B5's first half-season. The show had a lot of promise and could have been something special if given a chance.

It also pays to watch Call to Arms, the TV movie that links B5 and Crusade and sets up the main thrust of Crusade, the Drakh plague.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hollismason posted:

The movies are on iTunes, sold as a complete "season" pack for $30, which is absolutely more than they are worth.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 6, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Well drat I just finished Bablyon 5 . Start to finish. Sleeping in the Light was super loving good. It was a good send off to a great show. I was a little disappointed we didn't see what happened to Lyta and G'Kar , but other wise it was good. Also really surprised to see Claudia Christsen and Ivanova return. Really great ending to a great show.

Its to bad none of the TV movies are streaming anywhere or I'd watch them.

If they can recapture 1/10th of how good the show was for the reboot then the new series will be good.

Can't believe its over with.

We did see what happened to G'kar. He died in a final embrace with his soul mate Londo Mollari :getin:

As for Lyta, her fate is mentioned in one of the books, that also incidentally, deal with Bester

And Sleeping in the Light is not just super loving good, it's one of the few series finales that actually sticks the landing.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Legend of the Rangers is exhibit A in the argument that JMS has one good story in him. His Star Trek spec script is exhibit B.

Was there ever any lore/details about who/what THE HAND were supposed to be?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OnlyBans posted:

Legend of the Rangers is exhibit A in the argument that JMS has one good story in him. His Star Trek spec script is exhibit B.

Do you mean Control? There was going to be some subplot involving it but Tri-Tac games tried to claim that JMS ripped off “Bureau 13” from one of their games, so rather than deal with that he just axed the story thread.

“Who?” You may ask. Exactly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drat now I am going through Babylon 5 withdrawal now that I've watched the whole series. I guess I'll need to find something else to watch at night.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you mean Control? There was going to be some subplot involving it but Tri-Tac games tried to claim that JMS ripped off “Bureau 13” from one of their games, so rather than deal with that he just axed the story thread.

No the big bad from Legend of the Rangers who are older and more terrible than the Shadows.

I always hoped they were delusional like the Freddy Krueger character in down below, both always talking about hands and such.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Chevy Slyme posted:

He’s a Chief Warrant Officer. A big part of his whole deal, explicitly, throughout the show, is that he’s an enlisted guy, not a commissioned officer.

The proper address for that rank in most modern militaries is either Mr. or Chief.

Learn something new every day, didn't even think of it that way. I still think it sounds really cool as a title when Londo and G'Kar say it, just didn't realize there was a reason for it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hollismason posted:

drat now I am going through Babylon 5 withdrawal now that I've watched the whole series. I guess I'll need to find something else to watch at night.

What are your thoughts on older anime, because I'd love to introduce you to Legend of the Galactic Heroes. If there's one show that competes with B5 for my top favorite show of all time, it's LOGH.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Winifred Madgers posted:

What are your thoughts on older anime, because I'd love to introduce you to Legend of the Galactic Heroes. If there's one show that competes with B5 for my top favorite show of all time, it's LOGH.

Oh, yeah, that one was good. Where do you catch it these days?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s on the streaking service Hdive last I saw it

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The reboot is ongoing on crunchyroll, and is legit. If the B5 reboot is as good, we'll be blessed. The old one was never licensed or localized for the US so it requires :filez:. The fan subs are very good though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The United States posted:

The movies are on iTunes, sold as a complete "season" pack for $30, which is absolutely more than they are worth.

Wait hold up that looks like they want $30 just for Lost Tales which is hilariously overpriced.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I guess I'll return to my nightly ritual of watching Star Trek episodes. B5 isn't something that I can lay back and relax with because you can't really skip around episodes .

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Legend of Galactic Heroes is good and scratches the same itch. Watch the original one first since it's complete. I think the remake is solid, but it's only done like... 15% of the story so far so god knows when/if it'll finish.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

CainFortea posted:

I think he's just away for a bit. His cap and keys are still at his desk.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hollismason posted:

You need to get your hands on the TV movies though. In the Beginning is unskippable, and it's nuts that there will be people now who just watch the remastered series for the first time without even realizing ItB exists let alone watching it. I'm sad they didn't include it, remastered or not. It's way more essential than The Gathering.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Thinking of ItB reminds me of the hilariously campy but at times very impressive Finnish B5/Star Trek crossover parody movie, Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning from 2005. It's free on Youtube and I found it quite entertaining.

(the video includes English subtitles among many others)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GOoMowFpZs

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zat posted:

You need to get your hands on the TV movies though. In the Beginning is unskippable, and it's nuts that there will be people now who just watch the remastered series for the first time without even realizing ItB exists let alone watching it. I'm sad they didn't include it, remastered or not. It's way more essential than The Gathering.

I don’t know if I’d call it unskippable. It adds a lot of details to the background of things already talked about in the series.

What I don’t like about it is how it connects characters who IMO should not have been, because they never talk about those connections in the series. A bit too retcon at times.

It is great though!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

I don’t know if I’d call it unskippable. It adds a lot of details to the background of things already talked about in the series.

What I don’t like about it is how it connects characters who IMO should not have been, because they never talk about those connections in the series. A bit too retcon at times.

It is great though!

Fair enough and I do agree on all points. I guess I meant that in terms of the B5 movies, it's by far the most important one, and that's including the pilot.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

OnlyBans posted:

I don't think it was anything official, but I remember reading somewhere that they were vorlons brainwashed by whatever the third space aliens were meant to be. In absence of a better explanation I've stuck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Digital Flower posted:

I don't think it was anything official, but I remember reading somewhere that they were vorlons brainwashed by whatever the third space aliens were meant to be. In absence of a better explanation I've stuck with that.

That's actually kind of interesting, but I'd like to think he didn't plan on using any of the older races [spolier]that he so conclusively wrote out[/spoiler]. I'm assuming there was some kind of revelation planned about The Hand that would have made them interesting. Whatever it is, they should definitely not have started with "this is a powerful, aggressive, ancient enemy" because yeah, it really does scream "no new ideas".

LotR together with the rest of B5's false starts worry me a little when it comes to the reboot. It's either been studio fuckery, JMS holding back the interesting stuff because he's planning a plot twist in episode 15, or no one watching. This is the fourth attempt at a spin-off/revival, so I'm not expecting it to be plain sailing.