Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Not planning on painting it. The wife already calls it the "Dick Magnet", I can't drive it anywhere without some middle-aged dude coming up to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A few months ago the clutch cable holding mechanism on the locost let go while driving home from groceries, I was able to limp it home thanks to no traffic. It "let go" because one of the pinch bolts holding the cable vibrated out, this is about the third time.

Finally got around to working on it, bought the stuff to make and crimp cables. This combined with the pinch bolts, now with locktite and a cable clamp holding them in, should work a lot better

Got it all buttoned up and it felt like the clutch pack was frozen from sitting so long. So put in a full EBC racing clutch kit, note the two clutch springs. Not a ton of room to work and barely enough to remove the clutch cover.

Then I fought with getting the clutch arm in just the right spot, turns out that's a big pain on the R1 and R6 of this era. Thanks to Slavvy in cycle asylum for pointing out how fiddly this is.

Now I need to remake the cable again, put everything back together and take it for a test drive. It turns out my clutch pack was probably fine as well, I had underestimated the force required to actuate the pressure plate with two springs. I just wasn't pulling/pushing hard enough and only had the cable adjusted to remove the pre-load. Oh well, lesson learned and now I have a better clutch. Old friction plates looked pretty burnt anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I found two of these next to my car earlier. They look suspiciously like the stock mufflers. :ohdear:

Confirmed my suspicions when I looked under the car. Looks like some hooligans jammed some 22" glasspacks in there. :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7K2IAFMIb4
Welllllll... I guess with that kind of sound, I can forgive them. They were even nice enough to weld them to the stock tailpipes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 5, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
This might be controversial, I don't think it's a good idea to draw any additional attention to yourself. You in particular.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That sounds GOOD.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

This might be controversial, I don't think it's a good idea to draw any additional attention to yourself. You in particular.

It's downright quiet unless I romp on it, just a slight burble. :colbert: While cruising it's barely noticeable, sounds like any other V8 on the road.

The bro truck in the next lane (and half the vehicles on the road here are bro trucks) are a lot louder, same with the Challenger RT weaving through traffic.

Krakkles posted:

That sounds GOOD.

Not bad for cheap glasspacks. :v: I did get reamed on the welding though. Both cats are still intact (and will remain that way).

I think part of the reason it came out sounding decent is the P71 didn't get resonators or secondary cats.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 5, 2021

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

wallaka posted:

Not planning on painting it. The wife already calls it the "Dick Magnet", I can't drive it anywhere without some middle-aged dude coming up to talk about it.

I drive something simliar and have the exact same problem. One time, I had a guy follow me into my work parking lot just to talk at me about it for 20 minutes. (dented/patina'd up 72 Ford LTD with a shaker scoop poking out lol)

Krakkles posted:

That sounds GOOD.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

STR posted:

It's downright quiet unless I romp on it, just a slight burble. :colbert: While cruising it's barely noticeable, sounds like any other V8 on the road.

It sounds like that NOW. Give it a week. They open up.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

We hope. Let er rip.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

We hope. Let er rip.

Back in the day we used to pour a little gas in them and roll it around, then make a trail from it down the driveway a bit and light the end. WOOF. No more break-in period.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also, if you install them backwards, they're basically just straight pipes :q:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wallaka posted:

I want to fab up a NASCAR-style side exit to complement the wheels and back glass, I envision a 60's NASCAR look for this thing.

:yeshaha:

MrYenko posted:

Ya, get it running, fix what’s broken, but don’t touch the paint.

Well, clean the remaining mold and scum off. Don't paint it or anything. Power-wash, SOS pads, quick buff, and some Vice Grip Garage "shine juice" on the rusty bits. (I'm not kidding.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD7AvQZoYcU
(shine juice is @ 26:46, but it's just 66/33 or thereabouts boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.)

STR posted:

I found two of these next to my car earlier. They look suspiciously like the stock mufflers. :ohdear:

Confirmed my suspicions when I looked under the car. Looks like some hooligans jammed some 22" glasspacks in there. :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7K2IAFMIb4
Welllllll... I guess with that kind of sound, I can forgive them. They were even nice enough to weld them to the stock tailpipes.

God dammit, now I need to do something with mine.
I was thinking Magnaflows, but those stupid glasspacks sound reasonably good.

I also want the Marauder-style straight out tailpipes.

Motronic posted:

I'm interested in the varacity of this. I like *that* sound, but generally don't like how glasspacks end up sounding.
I've been favoring the Magnaflow 11254 (18") or 11224 (14", for louder)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbDeftCwaEM
(I'm not sure which Magnaflows these are, but he's also 2.5" pipe and X-pipe, so probably not one of the above.)
edit: this one is the 11224:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-L3rswaUj8&t=780s
(@13 minutes if it doesn't just go there.)

These cheap ($40 each) Thrush turbo mufflers sound pretty dang good, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWfT58tXhY

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 5, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thrush turbos work nice on V8 mod motors. I had them on my '97 F150. No droning, not too loud, but it sounded great when you got into the noisy pedal.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My salvage auction truck has a set of straight through flow masters on it and sounds fairly rowdy. Shame that it probably makes 200bhp max until it gets cam and heads.

It is amazing how choked some of these things were in the 70s thru to the 90s.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"TREE FIDDY FOUR BOLT MAIN" fanatics conveniently forget that while the SBC is a good engine and can be built to do great things, 95% of them were absolute turds from the factory. Across fifty years and countless iterations and yet only three cylinder heads out of all of them were ever worth a drat (camel humps, L98s, L31s). And none of those were ever paired with an intake manifold good enough to match. The L98's intake at least looked good.

The LS completely took over the world because it comes with quality-of-life / mild power adders over a SBC like roller lifters, partial-roller rockers, and stronger main bearings. That, and the absolute worst LS heads and intake still outflow a lot of aftermarket SBC parts, let alone factory.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

"TREE FIDDY FOUR BOLT MAIN" fanatics conveniently forget that while the SBC is a good engine and can be built to do great things, 95% of them were absolute turds from the factory. Across fifty years and countless iterations and yet only three cylinder heads out of all of them were ever worth a drat (camel humps, L98s, L31s). And none of those were ever paired with an intake manifold good enough to match. The L98's intake at least looked good.

The LS completely took over the world because it comes with quality-of-life / mild power adders over a SBC like roller lifters, partial-roller rockers, and stronger main bearings. That, and the absolute worst LS heads and intake still outflow a lot of aftermarket SBC parts, let alone factory.

Those graybeards love their Gen 1s. Dude that works the machine shop I'm probably taking my LQ to kept trying to talk me into while "not trying to talk [me] into" punching a 400 block out to a 427 with a distributor and a four barrel blah blah blah. I don't think he realizes that you don't have to build the computers from scratch. You just go buy them and then all the poo poo just works. No loving around with twisting distributors or dicking around with carb screws.

THE FUTURE IS NOW, OLD MAN.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

Also, if you install them backwards, they're basically just straight pipes :q:

That's something that confused both myself and the welder - there were no directional arrows, no IN/OUT stamps, nothing indicating which direction they go.

The inside is also just round holes - I'm used to seeing louvered holes. Some Google-fu turned up some greybeard forums where people were upset about the change, and someone on one confirmed with Thrush that they're not directional anymore.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 6, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The funny thing about the engine in the truck is that it is a vortec crate engine which is supposed to be a “good” one. Once I have the restored salvage title it will be time to think about an LS swap or put heads, cam, efi etc… on the SBC. Since the thing came with an inline 6 originally there is no arguments in regard to originality.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ah, that actually changes things a bit. The only thing the L31 heads need to make good power is cutting the valve spring pockets out large enough to fit normal SBC springs, and then just throw a cam and springs at it.

I don't know what style of block those crate engines use but if it's actually a L31-style block, then you should also have a roller cam already.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Thrush turbos work nice on V8 mod motors. I had them on my '97 F150. No droning, not too loud, but it sounded great when you got into the noisy pedal.

Good to know, for $80 + clamps and/or welding, I think I'll do that. I just want a bit louder, not a LOT louder. The P71 is a little louder to start with, since, as STR noted, there's no additional muffling other than the main mufflers themselves, unlike on the civilian version.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I decided to paint my boring winter wheels (from a 1996 Lexus LS 400) a fin, bright color. I followed the instructions and sprayed a white base coat. The top coat did not like the base, even though they were from the same manufacturer (Krylon).

Result:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Was it krylon 2x? It does that if your costs are too thick if you do too many coats without letting the base cure for a week.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PBCrunch posted:

I decided to paint my boring winter wheels (from a 1996 Lexus LS 400) a fin, bright color. I followed the instructions and sprayed a white base coat. The top coat did not like the base, even though they were from the same manufacturer (Krylon).

Result:

Hey do you still buy used cars fix them up and sell them for :homebrew:?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OBDLink EX came in, which is what the developers behind FORScan recommend for the Windows version.

Turned on dark mode (the car had the dome light bulb removed instead; I want the light, but I don't want it coming on with the doors, only the dash switch)
Turned on daytime running lights
Turned on auto lock/unlock (you can do this from the door switch too, but :effort:)
Turned on smart unlock so that I'll stop locking my drat keys in the car. :argh: Smart unlock unlocks the doors if you try to lock them with the key in the ignition... it's disabled on the police models.
Corrected the tire size (the ones on it are only ~2.5mm shorter, so it probably wasn't making a noticeable difference)
It'd be nice if I could add remote keyless entry, but I'd need a new driver's door module (and an as-built file for it, and some wiring). Easier to just put in an aftermarket alarm. I could pull the as-built file from Ford's service website, but the door module would have to be from an 07, I'd need the VIN of the car it came from... and still have to add wiring + antenna.

Apparently I can disable auto start/stop on my stepdad's pickup with it next time I visit; I can also alter speed limiters. I'd actually want to lower the limiter on the Vic; I have no reason to do 130, and my tires aren't rated for 130 anyway (they're rated to 118).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

wesleywillis posted:

Hey do you still buy used cars fix them up and sell them for :homebrew:?

Those were some of my favorite posts. Fixed a car, flipped it, ate some steak to celebrate.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I went back to school and didn't really have time anymore. And then we had a baby. And then my hobby time pivoted to woodworking, Arduino/microcontroller stuff, and home automation.

I still like steak, though.

As for the paint, I am probably guilty of laying the paint on too thick. And definitely guilty of not letting the base cure for a week. Thankfully I only did this one wheel. The coverage on the fluorescent paint was really terrible, so I when I try again its going to be a pastel blue that complements the super-90s graphics on the 1993 Toyota Pickup the wheels will mount to.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Some time ago, a month or so, I decided I wanted mud flaps on my Veloster N. I went on and bought the most expensive ones money can buy: those sold by Hyundai themselves. Since I declared that I can install them myself (really, how hard can it be?), I got them a bit cheaper than advertised, but still, shitload of money.

Anyway, I installed them:

All was cool. Well, almost cool, since I managed to somehow gently caress up the retainer nuts on the car and the flaps were all just wobbly. Since I had no idea how those parts were called, I searched quite a bit (why ask a professional when you can spend a lot of time researching and still get it wrong?) and I found the miracle pieces: https://www.hamiltonhyundaipartscanada.ca/oem-parts/hyundai-fender-liner-retainer-nut-8684822000

But I ordered them, paid $10 for them and $30 for shipping and installed them yesterday. Even though these were black and the original ones were yellow, they fit like a glove and seem to be of a better quality than the originals. The screws stay put, they seem tight and the flaps do not move:

I may have to adjust them a bit more to be more straight but yeah, now they're set in their place.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 8, 2021

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
placed an order for some parts:

Gonna pay to have the clutch done, then do the supercharger/exhaust on my own. My axleback BBX exhaust should be here around the same time. I'm so excited to get this done.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I've been sitting on this winch and bumper for a few months now, finally decided today was the day

Grill, bumper valence, and skid plate removed

Using a highly calibrated straight edge to mark out where I need to cut :emo:

Cuts done! Orbital cutter with a carbide blade cut the plastic literally like butter.

Test fitting the bumper to make sure the cut is sufficient. Using a tough tote flipped upside down worked out really well. I'm glad I didn't have to muscle the bumper into place multiple times, or fiddle with a floor jack

Bumper's on! Nothing is wired but everything is fitted together. Also got the flipster installed for the license plate

Vanity shot

Still need to wire up the winch and lights, and of course all the other stuff in my garage... :sigh:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

That sounds GOOD.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Grid charge harness install to do a maintenance/balance charge to keep the tragic battery chemistry happy.

And slapped in a fresh rear motor mount, which is a giant piece of billet from the factory.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Before the parts cannon (but after a new idler)

From inside the car

Shotgunned the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and belt. Everything LOOKED fine, but the belt was so stretched that the tensioner was just shy of the end of its travel. It's now almost at the other end of its travel.

The tensioner + belt were only a bit over a year old, going by the receipt in the glove box. You can definitely see a difference in where the tensioner is between the videos; it's pretty much upright in the after, roughly at a 10:00 position in the before.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 11, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Added "track" mode to the BRZ today by swapping a 2017+ ABS computer into it :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not nearly as exciting as track mode, but swapped out the original front door speakers for Infinity Reference 6x8s (scratch and dent from Crutchfield, took off nearly $15). My right front speaker has never worked since I got the car; I was hoping to just find it disconnected, but no, it was hooked up. Ohmed it out and it was open circuit. Phew. Its replacement works fine, and I'm glad I didn't bother troubleshooting it any further. The wiring on this car is a clusterfuck (THANKS CONSTABLE!), particularly behind the passenger kick panel - I was assuming the speaker wires had been molested. Nope, just a blown speaker.

And holy crap, remotely decent speakers are a bit more expensive than I remember. :smith: Sounds a SHITLOAD better though. I'm gonna toss my old sub and amp in it this weekend... :getin: (crappy Crunch "1100 watt" [probably more like 150-200] + Polk 12" in a ported box) Ford was kind enough to provide a direct battery feed (fused) in the trunk, so that makes installing an amp a lot easier (obviously I'll fuse it properly for the wire I use).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 13, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Ford was kind enough to provide a direct battery feed (fused) in the trunk, so that makes installing an amp a lot easier (obviously I'll fuse it properly for the wire I use).

The other post next to the battery feed is a ground, too!
(check that - it was on mine, at least.)

I took a perfectly good headliner out of my CV:

Why?
So I could put in this:

and fill that hole in the roof you can see to the left of the console in the picture. I ran out of time to actually do the hole filling yesterday, but I'm hoping to do that today. It's had a plug in it the entire time I've had it, and it's always leaked, even with the sealant (I wasn't willing to go nuclear with the silicone.) I recently remedied that temporarily by sticking down a square of outdoor sign vinyl over it, which worked a treat. It needs to be more of a permanent fix, though, so I will be welding in a plug.

As a bonus, the headliner that goes with that console also has a rear dome light and grab handles (which the cop cars do not have!) and the double visors I have in the car also came from that same donor, and have lighted vanity mirrors. Whoo!
I mainly just wanted the storage, better dome lighting and bleep bloop temp and compass thingy in the console. I was going to integrate a Homelink up there as well (like some of the Lincoln Town Cars had), but I got a rearview mirror for that instead, which I will also be installing.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I took another shot at painting my winter wheels. Thankfully I only painted one wheel fluorescent orange.

Here is my truck:

It has these groovy graphics on the sides:

So I stripped the wheel back and painted it this color:

Assuming it works out, I'll paint the other three wheels to match.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 13, 2021

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I'm quite jealous of that truck

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

PBCrunch posted:

I took another shot at painting my winter wheels. Thankfully I only painted one wheel fluorescent orange.

This is an extremely cool truck.

I didn't do anything to my ride today except check the mail for parts, been putting off the fuel pump replacement because I hate working with gas so I have been reviewing the vacuum system. The rear/bottom most port on the intake manifold connects to the brake booster and there is supposed to be what I believe is a one way valve there. Instead, some random bit of thing has been jammed into the port on the intake manifold and connected directly to the brake booster with a large rubber hose and no check valve.

Here's my brake booster side:

The intake manifold side:

It's supposed to look like this on the manifold side and the line just goes into the rubber grommet, which is what I think is an "air brake quick disconnect line" going from there to the brake booster. I have a replacement for a used OEM SVT vacuum line on order from a Focus parts collector.

And the actual line should look like this instead of just a straight rubber hose:

There is an excellent facebook group (the only reason I use it) for the SVT Focus that has some great members who make really cool poo poo that has been long discontinued, like these hard vacuum lines for the fuel rail/pressure sensor to replace the OEM rubber:

They connect here on the back of the intake manifold, where someone has made their own copper versions (ignore the red square, trying to find a replacement rubber elbow):

Maybe I'll get the pump replaced and have the vacuum lines all fixed up this weekend, we'll see if I can get it to start! Having the energy to do the work is the real challenge.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Had my factory S2K wheels refinished. They’ve been sitting in my garage for two years.

Hard to see, but the clearcoat was chipping, there was a little bit of curb rash, and other assorted pitting and damage.

Fresh af

AWRS outside Hershey PA got them done overnight. Literally 24 hour turnaround time, and at under $150 per wheel with tax, it was better than buying another set that probably had clearcoat damage and rash as well. They powder coated the barrels as well as the spokes, then recut the faces and lips. Lifetime warranty on the clearcoat.

Now I have to pick tires…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat, dude, those look REALLY nice