Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just bought '21 for £18 or whatever it was on the most recent Steam sale, and will probably never play it knowing me. The last version I owned was '16, though, so at least it's not something that I do every year. Mind you, that's cold comfort.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've been messing around playing as PSG and holy poo poo is the officiating in Ligue 1 matches biased in their favor. I dunno and am a little curious what coding might be involved but it's just as blatant as it is in real life.

I remember hearing this same thing about major stars in basketball, which people just nod their heads to ignoring the fact that if they're so bloody great that they should excel without biased officiating. PSG has all the money in the loving world - they don't need more avantages in a biased system. It reminds me of not rich people who complain that rich people shouldn't pay so much tax - what the gently caress is wrong with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean you're not allowed to say it in polite company but I assume the officiating in France is biased in their favor because they pay the referees more than Ligue 1 does.

e: you really should play 21, the match engine is shockingly better than ever before.

The required micromanaging of training schedules is a horrible everpresent nuisance that annoys me, but the match engine is worth putting up with it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 24, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

The required micromanaging of training schedules is great.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Under the hood most Swansea players have below 10 for Sportsmanship. Andre Ayew has 4. Low Temperament, too. Whinging diving primadonnas. Other researchers may view their own players more kindly though.

Senior players in top leagues are almost always going to have better than average (for a professional footballer) professionalism, ambition etc. or they wouldn't be where they are. Youth players mostly won't have those attributes filled out in the database and should randomly assign the same way regens do, just with 'balanced' displayed rather than "mercenary shithouse".

Isn't this also because almost all the researchers want to minmax their own clubs so that when they play as them they win more?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

Isn't this also because almost all the researchers want to minmax their own clubs so that when they play as them they win more?

Some of them go through a lengthy back and forth with head researchers every year because Barcelona are buying Ryan Shawcross.

That's not the norm, though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://twitter.com/iandrewdiceclay/status/1430669084463665152?s=11

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Apparently, two rival consortiums are using me as a pawn in a battle for control of the club. The local businessmen declared their intention to replace me, and the Chinese investors immediately fired back that this was incredibly disrespectful to me.

And it was disrespectful! I've been at the club for over a decade now. When I came in, they were a mid-table side in Azerbaijan. Last season, we won the Europa League. This season, we're in the CL Quarterfinals after knocking out Bayern on penalties. I'm a club legend and possibly the most popular person in Azerbaijan, except maybe with Qarabag supporters (gently caress Qarabag). I wholeheartedly welcome our noble Chinese overlords. Time to start learning Mandarin.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Recently I've been trying to loan transfer-listed players from big clubs. Many mandate that the agreement must have an optional future fee. But some of my loans are falling through mysteriously -- is it because my transfer budget must be at least the amount of the optional future fee? (e.g., a loan with an optional future fee of £60m wouldn't work if my current transfer budget was £10m). I've never dealt with this problem before (and it certainly seems like an illogical implementation), so just wanna be sure that I have it down right.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I haven't really dabbled in future fee loans in years, but it used to be that that would happen when the player's contract ends before the loan does, which could happen when he's loaned to a league with a different season end date. I don't know if that's still the case in FM21 though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Sometimes clubs will transfer list players they really want to keep, with ridiculous transfer fees, just so they can wait out the player's unhappiness without anyone actually coming in to sign them.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
hired an israeli wonderkid striker with great physical attributes. unfortunately his loyalty stat is at 1, which seems to me to have very problematic implications

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wide centre backs have now officially been announced as a new role (with attacking duty available). They're unique under the hood as their positional familiarity is tied to two ratings rather than just one, using the avg. of a player's FB & CB values.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
One of the weird side effects of SI fixing the 'shrinking player database' bug, was this mechanic where a bunch of 15/16 year old players will be generated without a club.
And then, because they've all got gently caress-all reputation and less-than-gently caress-all CA, they just sit there as Unattached players until the game decides to nuke them from existence. And then generates some more.

I wonder if it was easier to do that than just have them be generated at a club through a Youth Intake. Occasionally, one or two of them will pop up in an international squad (U-18s, or whatever), but they still almost never get signed by anyone.
Some of them have pretty good PA (130-150)! And then they just disappear.
I mean, I guess they fixed the bug. Congrats?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Many of the kids that fail to gain a scholarship at their clubs after their u16s season fall out of the game entirely pretty quickly, that's not really unrealistic. But the game doesn't really have a mechanism for modelling the way junior recruitment actually happens, it's just a couple of numbers and a randomly generated selection for each club to pick from. In real life Chelsea rejects are already being signed up by clubs like Swansea, whose rejects are signing for Newport, long before March intake day. They never spend time unemployed and out of scouting vision.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

sassassin posted:

Wide centre backs have now officially been announced as a new role (with attacking duty available). They're unique under the hood as their positional familiarity is tied to two ratings rather than just one, using the avg. of a player's FB & CB values.

Finally Joe Gomez rises from his grave and takes his rightful spot at the throne

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I played this drat game every year for over a decade before stopping at around FM15. I bought FM18 and bounced off it but have recently been playing FM20 quite a bit after Epic gave it away. I have a save at the beginning of the 2030-31 season so that's a chunk of time invested and I've enjoyed it (except for a CL final 2-0 defeat to PSG in 28/29).

I've gone back in the thread and seen a lot of comments that FM20 is a bit poo poo.

Can anyone explain why bearing in mind I don't have a recent reference point? Is 21 is a whole heap better?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Match engine is quite a bit better. If you're not sure about buying, pretty sure it's on game pass, and fm22 will be on there day one too

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Azhais posted:

Match engine is quite a bit better. If you're not sure about buying, pretty sure it's on game pass, and fm22 will be on there day one too

Thank you.

If there's less brain-dead decisions being made then good. I'll probably pick up 22 when it's out in November and plough on with my 20 save in the meantime.

biglads fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 28, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A better plan is to pick up 21 next time it goes on sale and wait and see on 22. The 21 match engine is shockingly better than anything that came before, but this is SI so you should be leery that it'll go back to being poo poo for 22.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Something else will be horribly broken I'm sure even if the match engine is all good.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

biglads posted:

I played this drat game every year for over a decade before stopping at around FM15. I bought FM18 and bounced off it but have recently been playing FM20 quite a bit after Epic gave it away. I have a save at the beginning of the 2030-31 season so that's a chunk of time invested and I've enjoyed it (except for a CL final 2-0 defeat to PSG in 28/29).

I've gone back in the thread and seen a lot of comments that FM20 is a bit poo poo.

Can anyone explain why bearing in mind I don't have a recent reference point? Is 21 is a whole heap better?

I was on your boat, I've played FM16 up until 2030, guiding Benfica to the Champions league title four times and seeing players like Ruben Dias go from teenagers, to rising stars, to Benfica captain up until his thirties.

I then changed to FM2020 and yeah, the match engine is probably worse than 16, although everything else is better. The most annoying thing is wingers refusing to cross, they always wait until a defender comes close and then kick the ball into them, literally 100% of times.

Fortunately, 20's match engine is so terrible that Koreans straight up created entire new match engines to improve on them:

https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm20-match-engine-patch-by-fmkorea.html

I seriously recommend this. The Match Engine changes dramatically for the better. I currently use Thiago 2.0 and due to it I'll only consider changing to FM22 if the game is revolutionary.

They're very balanced, well thought out match engine changes, bear in mind. These aren't changes to make the game "tougher" or to allow for easier goals, they just make matches play out much better than vanilla.

Well worth a try while we wait for more info on 22

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
FM21's match engine was night and day better than FM20 as they added new bones to the basic decision-making processes of players. No amount of tweaking values in jsons comes close to that sort of improvement.

Usually FM takes a big step forward in the match engine every other year, with the odd year being new but imbalanced, and the even year being the product of fixing it up. The last two releases have been unusual in that FM20's turd-polishing just made everything worse and exposed all the flaws and limitations of the system they were working with, while FM21 was remarkably stable and barely changed from the earliest beta I saw. I think in part because they abandoned trying to salvage FM20 relatively early and moved on.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I bought '21 half-off on a Steam sale. It's the last one I have owned legit since '16, not counting '20 for free on Epic which this thread turned me off of.

Knowing me, I will never play any of them.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
FM20's was the worst ME (nobody able to cross, strikers not able to finish, etc.) and they completely scrapped it... FM21's was the best since I've played (every FM since 2014) and FM22 can hopefully build off 21's to tune up some annoying things to perfect it all, like goals being disallowed by players not involved with play being offside... that said FM 21 is better in almost all other regards beyond the match engine as well imo so if you've not played in a few versions it's definitely the one to pickup.

FM22 is a wait and see affair, FM21 is a snap it up on sale affair.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Don't forget there is a demo version of FM21 on Steam if you want to check it out.

Personally, 21 is the first I haven't purchased since maybe 95/96 season. All the new features announced in the trailers just didn't strike a chord with me at all. The match engine in the demo felt better than previous years, but just not enough for me the shell out on it.

Has there been any kind of details about FM22, besides the release date?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What FM21 does poorly is modelling defensive tactics. You can put 10 men behind the ball and it often plays out the same as not doing it at all. I couldn't get any players to run the ball to a corner flag and just stay there. I couldn't get my defenders to keep passing the ball among themselves.

By contrast, I've been using a tactic where my team plays on no time-wasting, ultra-short passing and Very Attacking mentality. The team seemed to defend better than if I had set it to Defensive/Cautious. It was certainly very successful at scoring goals. YMMV of course.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

What FM21 does poorly is modelling defensive tactics. You can put 10 men behind the ball and it often plays out the same as not doing it at all. I couldn't get any players to run the ball to a corner flag and just stay there. I couldn't get my defenders to keep passing the ball among themselves.

By contrast, I've been using a tactic where my team plays on no time-wasting, ultra-short passing and Very Attacking mentality. The team seemed to defend better than if I had set it to Defensive/Cautious. It was certainly very successful at scoring goals. YMMV of course.

It's largely a labelling issue. What FM calls "defensive" and "attacking" only vaguely correspond to the approaches teams take when trying to do those things irl. Big teams that have to break down sides defending in numbers will all have to take a patient, "defensive" approach to do so. Ever get completely out-played by a relegation-battling team? They're afraid of you so are playing "defensive" like Barcelona.

Counter-attacking underdog teams are best served playing on "attacking" with plenty of defenders on the pitch and some quick lads up front. This works very well when you're trying to defend a lead as the opposition will be piling men forward trying to create.

Personally I don't touch the mentality setting at all once I've set up a tactic. Stick it on balanced and never look at it again.

FM21 has specific issues with its defensive decision-making, especially in wide areas in the final third, but nothing that wasn't worse in earlier games.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Is the match engine different in the Touch versions of the game? I haven't played on PC in a while but have been playing a bit on iOS, and it seems miles easier than it did on PC to get my team playing well

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Having not played for a few years before the free FM20 on Epic, the quality of the match engine was what I expected but the thing that annoys me most is the way the game segues between highlights without having a real relationship to the game clock.

Couple of examples from when I played yesterday with "extended highlights".

My striker takes a shot which goes wide, 70:20 shows on the clock. The highlight segment ends. The next highlight section begins with the opposition having a throw up by my corner flag. The clock shows 70:23

I scored a goal late in another game. The clock is showing 90:46 and my players celebrating over by the corner flag. I skip the replay and yet somehow by 90:50 everyone is in place for the subsequent kick off.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you watch a full match you'll see that the game frequently teleports players to reset their positions in dead ball situations. The highlights clock should be accurate to the full match time, it's the players that don't respect the space-time continuum.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sassassin posted:

FM21's match engine was night and day better than FM20 as they added new bones to the basic decision-making processes of players. No amount of tweaking values in jsons comes close to that sort of improvement.

Usually FM takes a big step forward in the match engine every other year, with the odd year being new but imbalanced, and the even year being the product of fixing it up. The last two releases have been unusual in that FM20's turd-polishing just made everything worse and exposed all the flaws and limitations of the system they were working with, while FM21 was remarkably stable and barely changed from the earliest beta I saw. I think in part because they abandoned trying to salvage FM20 relatively early and moved on.

This might be true, but abandoning a 10 year save just for the match engine seems dreaconic when the json change does give some relief, at least until FM22 arrives.

(plus i'm running a custom UEFA revival mod that i took way too long to fine tune so i'll suck this baby dry before i move on)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ahhhhhhh I just got my first CL win in my first CL ever by scoring in the 119th minute off of a corner versus Man U to break a 0-0 deadlock as AZ in my 7th year managing them. This is my first FM game. I started the save two summers ago (FM20), played all summer, put it to the side, then came back this summer and have been fiending it since. I've successfully out-Ajax'ed Ajax in the Eredivisie. drat, now do I try and turn the underdog win into a succession of CL dominance or do I take a break and wait for FM22? As long as they don't break the engine improvements from FM21, I'm almost certainly gonna grab it (if only for xG alone ahaha).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The closest thing I've found yet to a reliable bus-parking tactic in the FM21 engine is a 4-1-4-1 with everyone except the striker on either Defend or Cover duty and the Hold Position instruction, and Very Attacking mentality. Most of the goals you concede when trying to protect a late lead come when one of your dumbass players makes a dumb pass and an opponent pounces on it and sets off a surgical counterattack. While both the ingame advice and common sense encourage you to do things like crank up Time Wasting and tick the Play Like David Moyes box, but these are the exact things that will open you up to late game counterattack goals. Better by far to hoof it long every time your team touches the ball and maintain their shape. Which they still frequently don't do no matter how much you try to tell them to because lol Football Manager, but, y'know.

In actual practice, though the FM21 engine is far better than anything that came before, it is still true that in FM the best way to protect a one goal lead is to try to turn it into a two goal lead, by playing Good English Football and catching the opposition with too many dudes forward.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Have you considered

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

The closest thing I've found yet to a reliable bus-parking tactic in the FM21 engine is a 4-1-4-1 with everyone except the striker on either Defend or Cover duty and the Hold Position instruction, and Very Attacking mentality. Most of the goals you concede when trying to protect a late lead come when one of your dumbass players makes a dumb pass and an opponent pounces on it and sets off a surgical counterattack. While both the ingame advice and common sense encourage you to do things like crank up Time Wasting and tick the Play Like David Moyes box, but these are the exact things that will open you up to late game counterattack goals. Better by far to hoof it long every time your team touches the ball and maintain their shape. Which they still frequently don't do no matter how much you try to tell them to because lol Football Manager, but, y'know.

In actual practice, though the FM21 engine is far better than anything that came before, it is still true that in FM the best way to protect a one goal lead is to try to turn it into a two goal lead, by playing Good English Football and catching the opposition with too many dudes forward.

My park the bus tactic was always a 4-3-2-1 'Christmas tree', but the idea was the same: get it forward and hold shape.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When defending a lead I would go 5-3-2. Hold my wingbacks and the mezzala's forward runs but otherwise keep the duties as they are rather than disrupting everything. Higher tempo. Defend widest. Time-wasting on full unless I really fancied my strikers to score again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have no way of knowing obviously but imo FM22 is going to be pretty good.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

sassassin posted:

I have no way of knowing obviously but imo FM22 is going to be pretty good.

If nothing else 3ATB is gonna have a bit of a renaissance with the WCB role added and everyone will be a Tuchel in his own heart.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OoohU posted:

If nothing else 3ATB is gonna have a bit of a renaissance with the WCB role added and everyone will be a Tuchel in his own heart.

I have no way of knowing obviously but imo it might not be as effective defensively as it was last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I honestly think that, in yearly sport franchises, people have to make changes for the sake of change in order to thinly justify people buying essentially the same sodding thing. That's true a lot of places, both in the games industry and just in general, but nowhere is it more blatant than in yearly sport franchises.