Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Trabisnikof posted:

well based on the list, looks like ecologi is the cheapest, starting at $10.50 a month!

https://ecologi.com/

and you help employ people in the 3rd world planting trees!

A---An App? To plant trees? To eliminate my footprint, through my phone, for just :10bux:!?!

Yes

...May I see the trees?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Hubbert posted:

guys can someone just tell me which app i can put on my phone to solve this climate change thing already

If "go join other climate activists in your city/area/region, plug into the climate activist community and join with them" isn't satisfying then I don't know what else to offer. Activists are working in every space imaginable from direct action blocking O&G development projects to lobbying elected officials to be better on climate to actively working to replace electeds who are bad or lukewarm on climate.

If your response to "find others who are climate activists and join them" is "those efforts don't inspire confidence" then maybe propose something yourself so we can have something to go on.

If what you need to inspire confidence is an ironclad, 100% guaranteed effective plan to save the world and avert climate catastrophe then I don't think you'll ever find it. It doesn't exist.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rime posted:

If "go join other climate activists in your city/area/region, plug into the climate activist community and join with them" isn't satisfying then I don't know what else to offer. Activists are working in every space imaginable from direct action blocking O&G development projects to lobbying elected officials to be better on climate to actively working to replace electeds who are bad or lukewarm on climate.

If your response to "find others who are climate activists and join them" is "those efforts don't inspire confidence" then maybe propose something yourself so we can have something to go on.

If what you need to inspire confidence is an ironclad, 100% guaranteed effective plan to save the world and avert climate catastrophe then I don't think you'll ever find it. It doesn't exist.

i asked for an app, rime, not actual effort!!!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rime posted:

hello?? i just posted an app that would solve climate change if only every person on earth gave them $10.50 a month! whats more ironclad, 100% guaranteed effective plan to save the world and avert climate catastrophe than that

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Does you climate plan spark joy?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

sitchensis posted:

If you live in the Pacific Northwest and you know what second growth forest looks like, it’s hard not to get super depressed as you walk around literally everywhere and see it.

Second growth forest, of course, is the type of forest that grows after industrial logging activities has wiped out all the “Old Growth” forest (aka forest untouched by humans) that used to be there. It’s often homogenous, spindly, and pretty anemic from an ecological perspective.

My gran was old enough to remember what our corner of Appalachia looked like sans trees. The only tree in the area older than 40 or so years blew over in a windstorm a ways back.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Rime posted:

I admire the recent Fairy Creek direct action, Line 3, and the coal stuff in Germany.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
please dont organize your ecoterrorism online and definitely dont invite any chud looking motherfuckers like this guy in the middle

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
mutters to self… shutting the car off 20 years ago

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

please dont organize your ecoterrorism online and definitely dont invite any chud looking motherfuckers like this guy in the middle

The story this is from: https://theintercept.com/2018/12/30/tigerswan-infiltrator-dakota-access-pipeline-standing-rock/

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
the best app you can install on your phone to help with climate change is the one that stops you from breathing.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
boy im glad an app can solve my guilt for such a reasonable price

technology saves us again!!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I've been hearing people saying "vote" ironically a lot lately, but listen folks, the problem is that we're not voting enough. I just enabled Apple Pay and now I can vote with my wallet, right there in the app! This week I've voted for Netflix, the power company, and a bank

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
My only regret is that I'll probably die before witnessing the full extent of how bad, dumb, and dystopian things get.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Hubbert posted:

As I'm 100% certain that I would be banned for posting this elsewhere on SA, please see the following excerpt from Andreas Malm's How To Blow Up A Pipeline:

Note that I am only providing this quote for the purpose of academic discussion and for no other reason:

is this book worth getting? looks interesting

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Harold Fjord posted:

My only regret is that I'll probably die before witnessing the full extent of how bad, dumb, and dystopian things get.

i've reduced my alcohol, junk food, and meat intake significantly in a bid to improve my health, just to see how this poo poo plays out

basically i'm doing more than i ever did when i thought we had a chance to make a meaningful impact as a species

so much for doomers not doing stuff for the environment :colbert:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
to clarify i mean a "meaningful impact" in stopping runaway climate collapse, lol, lmao, etc

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

err posted:

It's very Marxist, short, and to the point - if you like what you've read, then I recommend it. I might host a book discussion on this soon. :shobon:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

err posted:

It's extremely good poo poo, to the point where it's actually mind boggling that it was published at all.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I remember a time when it was valued in that subforum to actually dissect why certain things were actually good or bad instead of banning all mention.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rime posted:

It's extremely good poo poo, to the point where it's actually mind boggling that it was published at all.

"What if we broke stuff, maybe we should break this stuff" isn't actually a violent message and Capitalists don't have full control of info yet. I love it. Wanna give it to a bunch of children for Christmas to troll their parents.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

lmao which one of you bought this banner ad:

leading to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjWOCdony4

whoever it was i clicked and watched thank you

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

man it’s all doodoo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

err posted:

yes, and in my mind, it’s the thin edge of a hopefully very long knife

it’s the sorta writing that is approachable and meets most readers where they are, and says something they’ve been taught isn’t okay, but argues it really well

yeah, put it in every high school immediately

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/Greg_Palast/status/1445888135204773893

that guy's free and the guy who sued chevron to hold them accountable for their crime here is the one who's been imprisoned

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
We are all in the garage with our foot down on the gas in a second hand automobile, pressing ever harder on the pedal as we grin at our own reflections in the car mirror as remind ourselves that yes, this gets good miles to the gallon, and yes, we are doing our part to speed up the process. The exhaust fills the space with the final spiteful gently caress you from countless dinosaurs pressed into service by the planet's willingness to pin the enemy. The sound of the engine providing miniature explosions is the only war experience we will encounter in our lifetimes, well, aside from the eventual water wars and spats over the little remaining dry land that graces the planet in it's final, closing statements that simply postulate, "Life was here." But most of us will avoid that and fall asleep at the wheel as the poison gives us swift relief from the calamity of wanting to go fast and go nowhere at all. Perhaps our skeletons will be cracked open for the marrow by those who find us. But realistically, one day, the keys shall be removed from the ignition to end this diorama, snatched at the final moment before everything turns black. The survivors of our joyride shall know no such thing as peace, they shall wipe the sweat off their brow and wonder what perhaps coca-cola was, and what a fish tasted like, or indeed, why we all let everyone sit behind the wheel in the first pace and gurn maliciously at our own reflection as we screamed, "Goku" and "Greta is right, do something".

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Cloks posted:

things are really heating up

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

walking into the middle of a dennys and screaming "goku" at no-one in particular to fight climate change

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

check out my new app where u can hire a contractor to run into the nearest Denny's location and scream "goku" at varying volumes for as long as you can afford

this is equal to reducing ur carbon footprint by 600 megatons or something

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

pro click

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Reverend Zero posted:

walking into the middle of a dennys and screaming "goku" at no-one in particular to fight climate change

Pour gasoline over patrons and ask them if they've ever seen a super saiyan elite before, then do the ginyu force dance and then set everything ablaze with a basic ki blast

That'll show 'em

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
great now some goon is going to go super saiyan on some rando and this thread will be shut down too

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing goons are going "super saiyan" on are the potato chips in their cupboard.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Fame Douglas posted:

The only thing goons are going "super saiyan" on are the potato chips in their cupboard.

excuse me those aren't chips those are fried onion toppers to go on burgers

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Mayor Dave posted:

https://twitter.com/Greg_Palast/status/1445888135204773893

that guy's free and the guy who sued chevron to hold them accountable for their crime here is the one who's been imprisoned
this is entirely in line with america's expressed principles of corruption, ruination, and death

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mr.Tophat posted:

We are all in the garage with our foot down on the gas in a second hand automobile, pressing ever harder on the pedal as we grin at our own reflections in the car mirror as remind ourselves that yes, this gets good miles to the gallon, and yes, we are doing our part to speed up the process. The exhaust fills the space with the final spiteful gently caress you from countless dinosaurs pressed into service by the planet's willingness to pin the enemy. The sound of the engine providing miniature explosions is the only war experience we will encounter in our lifetimes, well, aside from the eventual water wars and spats over the little remaining dry land that graces the planet in it's final, closing statements that simply postulate, "Life was here." But most of us will avoid that and fall asleep at the wheel as the poison gives us swift relief from the calamity of wanting to go fast and go nowhere at all. Perhaps our skeletons will be cracked open for the marrow by those who find us. But realistically, one day, the keys shall be removed from the ignition to end this diorama, snatched at the final moment before everything turns black. The survivors of our joyride shall know no such thing as peace, they shall wipe the sweat off their brow and wonder what perhaps coca-cola was, and what a fish tasted like, or indeed, why we all let everyone sit behind the wheel in the first pace and gurn maliciously at our own reflection as we screamed, "Goku" and "Greta is right, do something".

Okay, but then why are you (doomers collectively, not you in the singular) still posting here? You all seem to be aware of what the allowed range of discussion is in this thread. You also appear to believe that this range of discussion is insufficient.

But every time someone wants to actually discuss things within the allowed range, one of you is here to poo poo all over their ideas. Every time one of you lemming-posts, you're here to whine about them getting probed/banned.

It's 100% you lot's fault that "these conversations always go in circles or end in moderation". If you want that to change, be my loving guest.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

great now some goon is going to go super saiyan on some rando and this thread will be shut down too

I don't even feel it

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Rime posted:

Okay, but then why are you (doomers collectively, not you in the singular) still posting here? You all seem to be aware of what the allowed range of discussion is in this thread. You also appear to believe that this range of discussion is insufficient.

But every time someone wants to actually discuss things within the allowed range, one of you is here to poo poo all over their ideas. Every time one of you lemming-posts, you're here to whine about them getting probed/banned.

It's 100% you lot's fault that "these conversations always go in circles or end in moderation". If you want that to change, be my loving guest.

I take full responsibility

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Rime posted:

Because this is a loving comedy forum and I will scream at the void as my fellows suggest ways to rectify the problem and feel the kindling of hope respark as people tell me that the coral reef isn't as hosed as we thought. I didn't poo poo on anyone's ideas, I didn't quote someone hopeful as to how to change the world and grind their hopes to dust.

You want serious discussion? Fine. My nation has protestors who want insulation in people's homes. They line themselves up to block the passage of traffic. I think they're doing a great job of pissing people off, but I don't think most people want to save the planet, they just want to get to their destination without much fuss. If you inconvenience someone and scream, "There's a problem," most people won't experience the desire of effect. Not that it's a bad thing to try and do.

A friend of mine planted a bunch of seaweed to absorb carbon in scuba gear with a bunch full of other people. It was a nice moment of actual positive change that individuals could place.

Now excuse me, I've got to open my wallet and witness nothing but blood pour out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Planet's dying cloud, lol