Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

“Snooty food people” absolutely love southern cooking for that historical aspect (generally if they’ve read anything by Michael Twitty) in my experience

Depends. My family is pretty adventurous but they all look down their noses at southern/soul food for some reason. I assume it’s because they think everything is deep fried or covered in sugar and they have an aversion towards the South because Republicans live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Sorry for the late replies! I’ve been with family I haven’t seen in almost five years.

BattyKiara posted:

What is a day in the life of a monk like? Not just work and prayer, but examples of what kind of work, etc. Do each monk have a special job, or is there a Brother James is on clean the bathroom duty this month, next month he will switch Brother Andrew who serves the meals this month, sort of system?

Also, are monastic dwellers allowed to have a sense of humour?

Depends on the monk. This monastery’s primary apostolate (thing they do as a service and pay for the monastery) is education, so we have a lot of teachers, administrators, and campus ministers. A lot of the priests help at local parishes. Some of the monks are students. All meals are made by employees of the monastery, not monks. Cleaning is split, they do have some hired employees but the monks take turns doing the cleaning. Monks also take turns leading prayer and doing the readings therein.

As to your second question, monks are just people. Some people are funny and charismatic, some are boring but reliable, some are brusque and can be jerks. There are all kinds of folks in the monastery.

JcDent posted:

WILL YOU BE BREWING BEER
This made me laugh! They don’t make beer, as I mentioned they do mostly education.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Do they let you post on dead web 1.0 comedy forums?

(Also, congratulations!)

Internet is restricted during the year of novitiate, otherwise I don’t know how much personal internet time you get otherwise.

zonohedron posted:

He could send one of us a letter and we could scan it in for him :3:

I would LOVE to do this!

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 7, 2021

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Depends on the monk. This monastery’s primary apostate (thing they do as a service and pay for the monastery) is education, so we have a lot of teachers, administrators, and campus ministers. A lot of the priests help at local parishes. Some of the monks are students. All meals are made by employees of the monastery, not monks. Cleaning is split, they do have some hired employees but the monks take turns doing the cleaning. Monks also take turns leading prayer and doing the readings therein.

Reminds me of my seminary which was rooted in the Benedictine Rule.

We had a small cleaning staff, grounds, and cook, but students and faculty were responsible for dishes and bussing tables in the refectory, as well as cleaning and maintaining the common areas of campus as well as assisting in outdoor grounds work. All on a rota for work crews. Daily mass and the offices, along with the Angelus morning, noon, and night.

Brings back very fond memories. I'm quite excited for you! It was a wonderful formation for me, and I'm practically envious of those called to the religious life (I am a secular priest). Be assured of my prayers!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Depends. My family is pretty adventurous but they all look down their noses at southern/soul food for some reason. I assume it’s because they think everything is deep fried or covered in sugar and they have an aversion towards the South because Republicans live there.

Basically every good cuisine that the US has ever produced has been a result of the cultural melting pot that is the Southern US. BBQ, Creole and Cajun, Tex Mex, even SoCal cuisine. Northern food tends to be a pale imitation of French and Anglo cooking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Spoken like someone who's never gone looking for more than an Applebee's north of Memphis.

( I kid, I kid. )

Regional cuisines have more variety than you give them credit for. The upper midwest, for an example a lot of this thread is familiar with, is heavily influenced by German and Dutch immigrants.

A great deal of the 'bland' reputation involves assuming the recipes that came out of the Great Depression are as deep as it goes.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I mean, a lot of our own family recipes are not necessarily bland so much as they are hearty. Which is common with peasant food. It ain't fancy but it's satisfying and a massive amount of calories because you're spending your days doing hard manual labor from almost dawn to dusk.

I have the absolute best dill pickle recipe you will ever find. Are dill pickles haute cuisine? Lol no. But goddamn they're good on a sandwich or on the side of a big hearty meal.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Dill pickles are delicious, which is what matters.

I have a whole pile of old church cookbooks on my shelf full of recipes like that, and others that are downright terrible. :D

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Fritz the Horse posted:

I have the absolute best dill pickle recipe you will ever find.

You can't just trot in here and say that without sharing the recipe.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Lol, nice

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Worthleast posted:

You can't just trot in here and say that without sharing the recipe.

Note that it's important to have fresh cucumbers and good quality water

Aunt Jo’s Bohemian Dill Pickles

Pick cucumbers in the early morning and wash thoroughly, being especially careful to scrub off the
blossom. Process right away. In clean jars put several heads of dill (depending on size of jar) a
dash of cayenne red pepper, and ¼ rounded tsp/qt Ball Pickle Crisp (CaCl2). Pack cucumbers in
jars. Bring to boil 1 qt 5% white distilled vinegar, 3 quarts good pickling water, 1 cup canning salt.
Pour hot brine over cucumbers in sterilized jars (have jars standing in hot water so as not to break)
and seal. Process in hot water bath only until water starts to boil. Store in cool (75 or less), dark
place for a least 6 weeks.

In my opinion the keys to success are: quality fresh ingredients, good water, and attention to detail.
What is good water? Not too hard, not chlorinated, not processed through a water softener.
Distilled water may be a good choice if in doubt.

What kind of cucumbers can I use? I use regular slicers, any size not overly mature depending on
the size of jar. Fresh is the key IMHO. I want them picked right after breakfast and in the jars
ASAP. I have raised pickling cucumbers years ago and do not remember what kind of pickles came
of them. I prefer slicers because they are multipurpose. Do not slice the cucumbers. I sometimes
will chop off one end so the cucumber fits in the jar. You will read that the blossom end should be
shaved off. I have not found this to be necessary if they are processed right away and the blossom
itself scrubbed off.

Do I need fresh dill? Dunno. Never tried dill seed or dried dill. I have read that any part of the dill
plant can be used in pickles but not familiar with those options. I was taught to wait until the dill
plant has green seeds set on and then harvest the heads. I suspect that the form of dill is not as
critical as the freshness of the cucumbers.

Can I add garlic or onions. Yes, my Aunt from whom the original recipe cam to us always uses one
or the other. I prefer none. I would recommend trying just the base recipe first and see how that
turns out first.

Can I use the apple cider vinegar in my pantry? My mom and aunt would, but I don’t like the taste.
I am a stickler for 5% white (and not the 4 ½% you sometimes see. The acid is critical to the
preservation as well as the canning salt)

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Good Yankee food that Southerners tend to be bad at making or don’t have: New Haven style pizza (garlic, pesto, and oysters), Central European style sausages, savory pastries, and bagels. Basically bakery and deli stuff.

I haven’t been to the midwest much so I won’t knock lutvisk or corn pudding until I try them.

The North also seems to have a much more robust cafe culture where people actually hang around coffee houses and do things like jam and share poetry. The only place I’ve been in the South where I’ve seen this is New Orleans. Everywhere else they treat cafes like post offices.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In the south the cafe's role in society is filled by doing shots out of a handle in someone's toolbox in a parking lot

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

shame on an IGA posted:

In the south the cafe's role in society is filled by doing shots out of a handle in someone's toolbox in a parking lot

Nah, the cafe of the south is the diner. Same lingering over endless cups of coffee while bullshitting, just with more scrambled eggs and biscuits.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, the cafe of the south is the diner. Same lingering over endless cups of coffee while bullshitting, just with more scrambled eggs and biscuits.

And air conditioning.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the diner is also the exclusive preserve of the frostlands, unless you're talking about Waffle House.

Anyway, CSPAM just dug up some fascinating 19th century timecube

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I haven’t been to the midwest much so I won’t knock lutvisk or corn pudding until I try them.

I grew up there, and even went to an annual lutefisk festival. It is a terrible, terrible food.

But some traditional german foods there are pretty bomb. Knoephla soup and Schupfnudeln are really good.

Lutefisk is hardly food though.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
have you heard the wonders of chislick

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

As someone from southern Louisiana, I find a lot of other southern US cuisines to often be somewhat bland. Sort of like how a lot of people describe midwestern food; hearty, but not bad just somewhat bland.

Food and religion go hand in hand, right? So I'm not derailing too much?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
They definitely do. My fiance told me she was randomly craving communion wafers and I can't wait to show her obleas con arequipe, a Colombian (and maybe other Latin countries by another name) dessert. Picture two communion wafers the size of dinner plates sandwiching a layer of dulce de leche.

Also my grandmother there would call the little tiny slice that always comes in mandarins the "baby Jesus" and save it for me.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 8, 2021

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Mushika posted:

There is, and I am not making this up, an ancient pickle recipe whose theological significance is hotly debated with regard to the proper way to baptize people.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Spoken like someone who's never gone looking for more than an Applebee's north of Memphis.

( I kid, I kid. )

Regional cuisines have more variety than you give them credit for. The upper midwest, for an example a lot of this thread is familiar with, is heavily influenced by German and Dutch immigrants.

A great deal of the 'bland' reputation involves assuming the recipes that came out of the Great Depression are as deep as it goes.

Lol I live in the Midwest I'm so deep in that that I cannot even consider it real food.

Truly the best pickles are the ones you have to scrub yourself in your grandmas tub as a kid, my mom's tried, but she's never managed to come close to grammas.

Fritz the Horse posted:

have you heard the wonders of chislick

I can't believe Chislic hasn't taken off more in the rest the country, It's perfect bar food.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

There is, and I am not making this up, an ancient pickle recipe whose theological significance is hotly debated with regard to the proper way to baptize people.

This sounds fascinating! Do you happen to have a link or perhaps something useful to search for?

e: Wait, was it Nicander?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Our church got referred to as a bunch of new age heretics on Facebook. Presumably by someone that's never been there. I've been to some very new-age leaning churches and this isn't remotely it.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Mushika posted:

This sounds fascinating! Do you happen to have a link or perhaps something useful to search for?

e: Wait, was it Nicander?

Yep. You "baptize" the pickles, which some take to mean that baptism should be a proper dunking. Googling it unfortunately gives more silly little sermon vignettes than it does an academic discussion, but this site gives a good overview of the whole story. (Can't necessarily endorse the whole site though.)

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Mushika posted:

As someone from southern Louisiana, I find a lot of other southern US cuisines to often be somewhat bland. Sort of like how a lot of people describe midwestern food; hearty, but not bad just somewhat bland.

The trick is to know the right people and get invited to the right church potlucks. Cracker Barrel biscuits and gravy is rear end, but my FIL’s recipe is to die for (mostly because he doesn’t skimp on sausage and pepper and uses corn starch as a base rather than flour).

Also, really good fried chicken with the right spice blends is transcendent. And there always a meemaw at any given parish who makes it better than any restaurant.

Certain things are overrated, sure. Grits? Only redeemable when loaded with cheese and greasy meats. Okra is only edible when fried. Fried green tomatoes never did anything for me.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gotta post that pickle recipe.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ah so that’s why you baptize people. you’re picking the soul

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
No wonder why I'm so salty.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Mushika posted:

Not a derail at all. Sharing food is important. I like to think of every meal I serve as communion, made with love, and everyone welcome to share. Since I do not have anyone to share with, I make myself remember that there is always an invisible guest at my table.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Fried green tomatoes never did anything for me.

You are dead to me.

I jest, I just love green tomatoes in virtually every form. Especially pickled with lots of garlic.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

Not a derail at all. Sharing food is important. I like to think of every meal I serve as communion, made with love, and everyone welcome to share. Since I do not have anyone to share with, I make myself remember that there is always an invisible guest at my table.

This is a wonderful sentiment. Isn't the empty seat for Elijah?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Asking for prayers for a man who is my friend's patient... profoundly psychotic and struggling mightily with self injury. Especially asking for the intercession of St Dymphna.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Mushika posted:

This is a wonderful sentiment. Isn't the empty seat for Elijah?

For me it's in the spirit of the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35, "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in"

I hope that if anyone ever want or need a seat at my table, I will be able to make them feel welcome.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Pershing posted:

Asking for prayers for a man who is my friend's patient... profoundly psychotic and struggling mightily with self injury. Especially asking for the intercession of St Dymphna.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy on your suffering servant.

St. Dymphna, pray for us.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Pershing posted:

Light surround your friend's patient. May he found the comfort he needs, may he find his way out of the labyrinth his mind has trapped him in. Amen.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TOOT BOOT posted:

Our church got referred to as a bunch of new age heretics on Facebook. Presumably by someone that's never been there. I've been to some very new-age leaning churches and this isn't remotely it.

Anything specific they took issue with?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

White Coke posted:

Anything specific they took issue with?

Not that I know of. There's nothing I can think of about our church that's remotely new-agey other than the fact that we focus on a positive message instead of condemning people.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

TOOT BOOT posted:

Not that I know of. There's nothing I can think of about our church that's remotely new-agey other than the fact that we focus on a positive message instead of condemning people.

That's like New Testament Christianity 101. Everything I've read in Paul's epistles is positive and uplifting. Not 100% of it resonates with me but it has been wildly more along the lines of "repent, turn to Christ, and receive eternal life" than "thrice damned sinner, repent or burn" kinda stuff. I wouldnt go to a fire and brimstone church if you paid me.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So I realized something interesting. A lot of religious art depicts Jesus with long, flowing hair. It seems to me like the Bible was ignored when creating these.

1 Cor 11:4, 7, 14 posted:

...4. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head...
...7. A man ought not to cover his head,[a] since he is the image and glory of God;...
...14. Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,...

Like...seriously? Did they just ignore the New Testament or was this some Anglo-centric ideology that Christ, as God incarnate, must have been the perfect Anglo-Saxon, completely ignoring the referenced passages, number one, and the fact that he was a Jew in the Middle East straddling the line between B.C.E. and C.E.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I think with our contemporary perspective it's easy, but uncharitable, to say it was an ideological, or even a conscious, bias on their part, especially as a blanket statement.