Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
For me, the most jarring thing about revisiting the first few seasons is the fact that Jeff says next to nothing during challenges. Nowadays he narrates everything, calls out people who are lagging/struggling, puts comebacks into context, etc. Back then he was basically silent. Nothing but ambient sound and weird music choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Spokes and others posted:

Recommendations

I'm checking out Cagayan right now and these brainies are hilarious, thanks for the recommendation.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

Shocked at others when people casually say some poo poo you'd rightfully expect people to take issue with today.

There was a LOT of casual homophobia that was played off for laughs in the early seasons. Dr Sean straight up says f*g in the first season. Boston Rob had a moment in season 4 when he's having an argument with John, and in a brief moment of silence he looks pointedly at John and asks something like, "Are you gay?" John confirms that he is, and Rob smirks, rolls his eyes, and walks away.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Or Hatch straight-up sexually assaulting people. And Grindgate. “I love my wife 120%.”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The time some people made a pee corner inside of their living-space-cave and having to have a tribe meeting about maybe not pissing inside the house but only a few people see whats wrong there.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've started season 7 based on recommendations here and elsewhere and yeah the vibes are bad. The men suggesting the women (who they just met btw) flash their boobs to the local villagers to try and get free stuff, men hooting whenever a woman's clothes fall off during a challenge, rambling about manliness and laughing at Rupert making a skirt to wear. It is all pretty gross.

Also this season is kind of wild in that so far, one tribe is just basically dying in the dirt while the other tribe wins every challenge, steals the little the losers do have, and chow down. And strangely nobody is even talking strategy at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lmao I started tto because I only somewhat remembered that and yeah that guy's skeezy.

Sandra really kills it that part, between being able to speak with them and bargaining her necklace for all the bbq chickens supplies lol.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 3, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

I've started season 7 based on recommendations here and elsewhere and yeah the vibes are bad. The men suggesting the women (who they just met btw) flash their boobs to the local villagers to try and get free stuff, men hooting whenever a woman's clothes fall off during a challenge, rambling about manliness and laughing at Rupert making a skirt to wear. It is all pretty gross.

Also this season is kind of wild in that so far, one tribe is just basically dying in the dirt while the other tribe wins every challenge, steals the little the losers do have, and chow down. And strangely nobody is even talking strategy at all.

There are a few people who really do show their stupid asses that season, but it's rated a top 10 season for a reason. Some really great characters, two even competing on the show 4 times total.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess the hardest part of watching old Survivor is having to be reminded what lovely things were still more or less socially acceptable even 15-20 years ago!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Guess the hardest part of watching old Survivor is having to be reminded what lovely things were still more or less socially acceptable even 15-20 years ago!

Well, I think one thing we've learned over the last 5 years is that there is a very large number of people in this country who not only think it's still socially acceptable, but even preferable!

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 4, 2021

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Has uninterrupted/unedited footage of a challenge ever been released? Like from the moment the survivors walk up to the moment they all leave without skipping a moment?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Arbite posted:

Has uninterrupted/unedited footage of a challenge ever been released? Like from the moment the survivors walk up to the moment they all leave without skipping a moment?

No, it would take up the whole episode and then some.

They arrive, they have a producer fully explain the rules of a challenge, each tribe/player gets a private period to ask questions, they get strategizing time, I THINK they’re allowed to examine the course — a lot goes on that wouldn’t make for good TV.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Aerox posted:

No, it would take up the whole episode and then some.

They arrive, they have a producer fully explain the rules of a challenge, each tribe/player gets a private period to ask questions, they get strategizing time, I THINK they’re allowed to examine the course — a lot goes on that wouldn’t make for good TV.

Oh I'm sure it would be terrible tv for most, I was just wondering if it might have been a dvd or web extra at some point.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Arbite posted:

I don't remember seeing anything like this but I'd also be interested. Especially for any challenge other than the extremely boring "hold on to this pole for as long as you can"-style endurance ones. (I think they add worthwhile variance to the game, but they're television poison.)

I remember Yau-Man saying that there's time to ask producers questions about rules before you start, both as a group and individually (so you don't give away your strategy). You aren't allowed to touch or otherwise examine anything before the challenge starts. And challenge equipment frequently breaks, at which point everyone has to freeze in place while the crew fixes it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
There was that time in Panama where I think it was Aras and his tribe lost a puzzle challenge, and Aras insisted that they were missing a piece. Jeff got pissed and called him a sore loser or something, but Aras insisted they check. Sure enough, there was a piece missing. If I remember correctly, they reran the challenge, and Aras's tribe ended up winning. I think.

That discussion was all off camera though. I think.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i like the vote gambling thing though because these tribes are so small. an extra vote is huge! Not having your vote sucks!!! the new currency of survivor? the vote

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

the new currency of survivor? the vote

too real

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor 41: Voter Fraud

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

btw I retract all my theorizing on Xander being brought into a new alliance with Evvie/Liana because vocce said in his exits that Evvie didn't get back to camp until a few minutes before Tribal Council. so if true, the vote was stupidly on Voce instead of Xander in large part because there was no time to talk Tiffany out of it or set up anything else.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I predict that any alliance or voting bloc with Tiffany in it will be forced to do stupid poo poo to placate her paranoia

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

btw I retract all my theorizing on Xander being brought into a new alliance with Evvie/Liana because vocce said in his exits that Evvie didn't get back to camp until a few minutes before Tribal Council. so if true, the vote was stupidly on Voce instead of Xander in large part because there was no time to talk Tiffany out of it or set up anything else.

This makes a lot more sense on why Evvie didn't drop Tiffany then yeah. I can't imagine ever playing with someone that paranoid so early in the game.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

i like the vote gambling thing though because these tribes are so small. an extra vote is huge! Not having your vote sucks!!! the new currency of survivor? the vote

Twist ideas:

1. Each player gets 20 votes at the start of the game to last the entire game. Votes can be bartered with, traded, etc. Maybe won in rewards and used as currency for survivor auction
2. As 1, but each player gets 0 votes and all the blank parchment is scattered throughout the woods like immunity idols
3. As 2, but the parchment isn't blank and players must find the vote for the people they want to vote out. Some fake votes will be in the woods also that have peoples' names misspelled that do not count
4. As 1, but you get 5000 votes. But the parchment is edible and votes are your only food source
5. As 1, but you get 50000 votes, all trees are removed from fiji and votes are your only shelter and firewood

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MisterZimbu posted:

Twist ideas:

1. Each player gets 20 votes at the start of the game to last the entire game. Votes can be bartered with, traded, etc. Maybe won in rewards and used as currency for survivor auction
2. As 1, but each player gets 0 votes and all the blank parchment is scattered throughout the woods like immunity idols
3. As 2, but the parchment isn't blank and players must find the vote for the people they want to vote out. Some fake votes will be in the woods also that have peoples' names misspelled that do not count
4. As 1, but you get 5000 votes. But the parchment is edible and votes are your only food source
5. As 1, but you get 50000 votes, all trees are removed from fiji and votes are your only shelter and firewood

6. The players are all walking, sentient piles of parchment. They have to peel strips off of themselves every time they want to vote; they can vote as many times as they like.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Survivor Minecraft players need to tear down trees or reeds to make pulp for paper and must individually craft voting parchments, along with having to mine for flint and ore for knife, pot, etc.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lmaoooooooooo

What a start

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The two biggest weirdo goobers get to meet

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Love having advantages so complicated they need to waste time explaining it twice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if Jeff shot scenes of him hiding all three 1st beware idols in the intro and they showed the only one anyone bothered to find lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shneak posted:

Love having advantages so complicated they need to waste time explaining it twice.

haha yeah, i was eating and kind of missed the explanation, but it was just another prisoner's dilemma, yeah?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This code phrase poo poo is embarrassing

I like the idea but repeating it sucks

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

This code phrase poo poo is embarrassing

I like the idea but repeating it sucks
Yeah, it sits out like a sore thumb and everyone is privy to it now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh I missed that he found the code phrase thing, was that this episode?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

You did it Tiff, congratulations!

NOW GET YER rear end IN THE WATER!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
perfect side dive

it's okay, no nba

no bottlecap puzzle this game, or did I miss it even more than usual?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 7, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Survivor 41: The Crap Hit the Fan and the Fan Was Made of Crap

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Crystal chat rattles my chakras with Mercury in retrograde.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Guess we're going to find out what happens without broccoli boy

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Bababooey bababooey!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
20 minutes on Brad's advantages just for Shan to flush them :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Guess we're going to find out what happens without broccoli boy
He'll have to pay it forward to someone else so they can say "The Dumb Phrase That Pays".
Or, it gets rehidden.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 7, 2021