Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

blight rhino posted:

Hello Party People!,

You need to give me your loving input, on getting this dick-hole project done.

Cheers and Salutations, Folks!,

Blight

You should use urethra instead of dickhole. Please come to HR tomorrow at 6:00am for disciplinary action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

dk2m posted:

Tech industry. Management knows that the software slaves are all millennials and attracting talent now needs to have some sort of bland corporate speak on diversity and force inconsequential poo poo like inclusive words

Whatever, I’m not trying to rock the boat. I’m down to use whatever the majority white DEI panel tell me to use even in reference to my own race because I’m just trying to survive

EXCUSE YOU

Software children

Batterypowered7 posted:

You should use urethra instead of dickhole. Please come to HR tomorrow at 6:00am for disciplinary action.

:(

:fired:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

dk2m posted:

Today I was yelled at because I said “how are you guys doing?” in the beginning of a conference call and someone got upset and said “that’s not inclusive, you need to say how are you all instead” and my boss was on the call and set up a follow up with me to go over the inclusive word list for 30 minutes

I’m probably on some sort of internal shitlist now

The gently caress? I've used "you guys" as you-plural for pretty much my entire life, including to address all-female groups and have never had an issue or anyone take offense. I also call everyone dude regardless of gender. I'm from NorCal originally so maybe it's a NorCal thing?

I do tend towards "hey everyone" in written communications though.

goatface posted:

Go full regional dialect and gently caress 'em if they don't like it.

I've been working on using inclusive local vocabulary like "yinz" and "jagoff" more often.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I’ve met some HR people I wouldn’t mind receiving some disciplinary action from.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

chglcu posted:

I’ve met some HR people I wouldn’t mind receiving some disciplinary action from.

* HR visibly sweating 'cause they don't know who else to call in *

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Just use "team", or instead of "hey guys" it's "hey everyone"

Y'all is also appropriate especially if you're not anywhere near the south

Used it in Luxembourg once and they looked at me like I had a dick growing from my forehead

I have been specifically reprimanded by a person one step below CEO for using "team" as it is "too impersonal" when addressing groups of people.

For that particular rear end in a top hat they just don't get copied on my email chains anymore, because while they're more senior than me they aren't in my department or line of reporting so geeeeeeet hosed when you don't know what I'm up to.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

I have been specifically reprimanded by a person one step below CEO for using "team" as it is "too impersonal" when addressing groups of people.

For that particular rear end in a top hat they just don't get copied on my email chains anymore, because while they're more senior than me they aren't in my department or line of reporting so geeeeeeet hosed when you don't know what I'm up to.

Dear *Company Name* Family,

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Sincerely,

Barudak

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

You should list everyone on the email by name like they're four and you're on loving Romper Room.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Queen Victorian posted:

The gently caress? I've used "you guys" as you-plural for pretty much my entire life, including to address all-female groups and have never had an issue or anyone take offense. I also call everyone dude regardless of gender.

I think both “guys” and “dudes” were used in one of my company’s inclusivity roadshows as examples of group identifiers that could be deemed problematic (for much the same reason why“Latino as gender neutral” could be considered tricky - using a male-coded word as default).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My Folk,

It has come to my attention that some of you have not been working as hard as needed on our wonder project. I must remind all of you, it is not just our struggle to make this happen, but individually yours and my struggle to ensure a future for this corporation and its employees. Only by remaining focused on our one vision, one team, one goal can we hope to achieve the the lightning fast delivery time needed to surprise our competitors in the market. Remember, without this project as a platform there will be no room to expand our business further to ensure its health and sustainability as part of our "Millennium of Leadership" initiative.

Sincerely,

Barudak
Minister of Corporate Communications

"Work-life Balance Makes you Free"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Just use "team", or instead of "hey guys" it's "hey everyone"

Y'all is also appropriate especially if you're not anywhere near the south

Used it in Luxembourg once and they looked at me like I had a dick growing from my forehead

Y'all is for the casual "hey here's an update" or "I have a request/question" emails.

All y'all is for when someone hosed up and it's time to drop the hammer.

At the office today, we pulled the big Surface tablet into our are and the boss put on Married With Children while we worked. Someone brought us cookies. It was a pretty good day.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

To be fair if I get an email that starts with "Team," I immediately assume it's the CEO's personal blog that we can't unsubscribe from because that's what one of the Giant Billionaire Tech CEOs I used to work for did

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
As with all of this stuff, whether it's going in a progressive or conservative or whatever direction, maybe 10% of it is an honest attempts by someone to improve things (according to their definitions), and 90% of it is people wanting to seem smart or right, or to correct other people, or to be seen effecting change.

As such, there is no point looking for pattern or meaning because it's not about consistency. And if everyone suddenly perfectly adopted tomorrow all the stuff that people are correcting today, then there would be a new set by lunchtime.

So, briefly evaluate any new language requests that reach you - some of them are actually genuine improvements - but whether you adopt them or don't, certainly don't waste brainpower on trying to figure them out. The vast majority of the time, they are a social positioning tool.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Hey I just got one of those emails from the CEO too, about how important the next few months will be, and how he appreciates what we do. Not mentioned at all is how many yachts the shareholders will be getting from our insane work.

Dumb poo poo at work: say you are scheduled 7am-3pm. Now, I work in delivery, so yeah, I might not get off on time every day. But our dispatch software adds on an extra 50 minutes at the end of every delivery and shift for...some reason. So our daily routes change by the minute, depending on what new priority orders come in, and contacting dispatchers directly leads to them saying they can't change anything because it's been on route for more than 30 minutes, so they can't take anything off. The only way to get off even close to on time is to contact the manager on staff and say hey, I can stay till 3:30 (maybe you just don't want to be a Not Team Player) but need to be done by then. Every. Single. Day. You need to contact the manager every day to say what time you can stay until, and your actual end time, per manager speak, is Fluid.

You have to clock in and be on route within 10 minutes of your start time. But for end time, 3, 330, 5, it's all the same.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lazyfire posted:

I'd prefer to not have the cube farm become a Street Fighter arena at random.

Post your Cubicle Fighter

Middle Manager
Attack 1: Confusion - Target is disoriented by flurry of contradictory email. Double damage to Subordinates.
Attack 2: Blame Game - Redirect damage to subordinate.
Ultimate move: Jump ship - move to adjacent company, all sustained damage is converted to earning power. Replacement takes all sustained damage.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
My boss said he would have never hired me for my current position. Then he asked if I wanted to subcontract to him if he started his own business. For only $40/hr less than I make. He's going to get fired soon.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

My body is wrecked from suddenly having to actually work for the first time in a month and a half. After this brew day I just have to clean up tomorrow, and I'll have time to actually get things more organized and hopefully explain to my bosses that we need to pump the brakes a little and make some more basic beer styles at first so I can lock in some numbers and maybe get multiple pitches from one batch of yeast.

Edit: Thought you all might like this temperature reading from my first brew day the day before yesterday.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 7, 2021

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Outrail posted:

Post your Cubicle Fighter

Middle Manager
Attack 1: Confusion - Target is disoriented by flurry of contradictory email. Double damage to Subordinates.
Attack 2: Blame Game - Redirect damage to subordinate.
Ultimate move: Jump ship - move to adjacent company, all sustained damage is converted to earning power. Replacement takes all sustained damage.

25 Year Anniversary Guy

Attack 1: Not my Problem - it’s not his g*ddang problem

Attack 2: Solitaire - plays solitaire

Defensive Buff: Arthritis glove - grants a +3 boost to wrist health, -8 charisma

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Noice work.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 7, 2021

stump collector
May 28, 2007

nuketulsa posted:

A guy who is dumb as poo poo just became a VP because his name is "fun to say"

Dick gently caress?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

I use All,
"Team," is my 2nd choice fyi

but yeah just cut those fuckers out & no need to worry

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

stump collector posted:

I use All,
"Team," is my 2nd choice fyi

but yeah just cut those fuckers out & no need to worry

You should up your game and use "you people" next time.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I used the word "unmanned" in regards to a service account. I was thinking about drones I guess.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
I've noticed something about the company I'm working for now. We have this whole thing where we are all (company name)-ians and collectively we're the (Company Name) Nation. In the past I would have looked upon such a thing with derision and scorn and in fact when I started with this organization the first time I ever heard it I was like "get a load of this" but after a while, once I decided that I actually liked working here I started to like the whole Nation and -ians thing.

At my last company I would have told them to shove it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Local Weather posted:

I've noticed something about the company I'm working for now. We have this whole thing where we are all (company name)-ians and collectively we're the (Company Name) Nation. In the past I would have looked upon such a thing with derision and scorn and in fact when I started with this organization the first time I ever heard it I was like "get a load of this" but after a while, once I decided that I actually liked working here I started to like the whole Nation and -ians thing.

When we say drink the cool aid we don't mean it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

We Dildos at Dildo King Nation really believe in our company and what we stand for

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I really wish people would not ask me important questions or my opinions on stuff when I'm in the middle of a brew day. This happens almost everywhere I've worked. It's also always when I'm in the middle of a real key step.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Local Weather posted:

If the company name is Russia then I'm afraid you may have been recruited into espionage.
Glad you're enjoying it!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hey I just got one of those emails from the CEO too, about how important the next few months will be, and how he appreciates what we do. Not mentioned at all is how many yachts the shareholders will be getting from our insane work.

Dumb poo poo at work: say you are scheduled 7am-3pm. Now, I work in delivery, so yeah, I might not get off on time every day. But our dispatch software adds on an extra 50 minutes at the end of every delivery and shift for...some reason. So our daily routes change by the minute, depending on what new priority orders come in, and contacting dispatchers directly leads to them saying they can't change anything because it's been on route for more than 30 minutes, so they can't take anything off. The only way to get off even close to on time is to contact the manager on staff and say hey, I can stay till 3:30 (maybe you just don't want to be a Not Team Player) but need to be done by then. Every. Single. Day. You need to contact the manager every day to say what time you can stay until, and your actual end time, per manager speak, is Fluid.

You have to clock in and be on route within 10 minutes of your start time. But for end time, 3, 330, 5, it's all the same.

Why are you putting up with this poo poo if you have a CDL?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

dk2m posted:

25 Year Anniversary Guy

Attack 1: Not my Problem - it’s not his g*ddang problem

Attack 2: Solitaire - plays solitaire

Defensive Buff: Arthritis glove - grants a +3 boost to wrist health, -8 charisma

Manager's Nephew

Attack 1: I'll Tell My Uncle - manager sends reprimanding email to opponent.

Attack 2: Undeserved Promotion - flying uppercut that launches opponent for an air combo. Immediately fills ultimate meter if it hits

Ultimate: Friends from High School - Nephew's buddies join in for a massive combo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It's odd sometimes how talented people in our IT dept are bad at basic communications. Had issue requiring a higher level team to change network settings. The person assisting was great up until he stopped responding to emails and phone calls. He had resolved the issue and could have let us known with a one line email but it stayed open for three extra weeks as he wouldn't email back or pick up his phone to the point where I thought he had left the company.

Finally had to check in with his manager (not my first choice and I made sure to make it clear we appreciated the guy's help, but uh, did he go out on an unexpected medical leave?) and got a short e-mail "oh yeah that's totally fixed."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

Why are you putting up with this poo poo if you have a CDL?

Why does anyone put up with poo poo from work?

I don't have a CDL, I work with small deliveries.

We did have a driver get fired about mask policy: well, less mask policy (IE we need to wear them but no one loving does save a few, including me) and more a customer asked the driver to wear a mask when doing a delivery to a hospital, and the driver started screaming he knew his rights, this was all bullshit.

Early in the pandemic, another driver wore a gas mask. A literal gas mask when doing deliveries. As the pandemic wore on, he decided Covid was a hoax and wouldn't wear anything, even after his hero Trump got the rona. "Fake news!"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Queen Victorian posted:

The gently caress? I've used "you guys" as you-plural for pretty much my entire life, including to address all-female groups and have never had an issue or anyone take offense. I also call everyone dude regardless of gender. I'm from NorCal originally so maybe it's a NorCal thing?

I do tend towards "hey everyone" in written communications though.

I've been working on using inclusive local vocabulary like "yinz" and "jagoff" more often.

You've never known that anyone took offence, which is part of the problem. If I call everyone dude and someone of my team doesn't want to be called dude they might not be comfortable complaining about that. So I've just put someone in an uncomfortable situation for literally no reason at all.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

dk2m posted:

Today I was yelled at because I said “how are you guys doing?” in the beginning of a conference call and someone got upset and said “that’s not inclusive, you need to say how are you all instead” and my boss was on the call and set up a follow up with me to go over the inclusive word list for 30 minutes

I’m probably on some sort of internal shitlist now

Sounds like you need to quit.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You should up your game and use "you people" next time.
hell yes

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

all y'all you-uns

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

I really wish people would not ask me important questions or my opinions on stuff when I'm in the middle of a brew day. This happens almost everywhere I've worked. It's also always when I'm in the middle of a real key step.

Don't answer the phone. Don't even take it out of your pocket. Don't even listen to messages, just call them back as soon as you've finished whatever the important thing is. It'll improve your life a lot. Similarly, I can't count the amount of times I've said to clients, tradies and foremen to their face 'Can I talk to you in five minutes? I need to make sure theses calculations are correct" Part of being an expert is making sure conditions let you do your thing right.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Jaguars! posted:

Don't answer the phone. Don't even take it out of your pocket. Don't even listen to messages, just call them back as soon as you've finished whatever the important thing is. It'll improve your life a lot. Similarly, I can't count the amount of times I've said to clients, tradies and foremen to their face 'Can I talk to you in five minutes? I need to make sure theses calculations are correct" Part of being an expert is making sure conditions let you do your thing right.

Nthing this. Any flak I've ever gotten for being unavailable, I've always successfully brushed aside with a similar explanation. The only times it hasn't worked for me were in situations where the mid-level manager felt they needed to micromanage my time to justify their salary and it was a good indicator that I should find the door anyways.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

I mean, they come into the brewery and start asking me questions. It's not too awful but it's just one of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Escape From Noise posted:

I mean, they come into the brewery and start asking me questions. It's not too awful but it's just one of those things.
So does having a pretty cool job make things easier when you get dumb questions? I make a weird variety of fermented items and always say if my wife gets a job where I can't work remote that I'll start doing mead/pickles/kimchi professionally. I would rather answer a billion questions about my mustard recipe than anything about my current job. At that point you are talking semi-hobby in my mind, rather than work stuff.