Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the right move in the long run, but lol yeah, structurally all his advantage stuff I thought would mean he's hanging for at least another round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That was a genuinely awful episode of Survivor.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
It feels like half the idea of this season is back to basics and the other half is make things as needlessly complicated and pointless as possible

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RIP Brad I guess.

His stuff about them drat kids hanging out instead of working at camp almost made him feel like a guy you might have seen in like the first 7 or so seasons of Survivor, but then all the bizarre advantage stuff started happening.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Half this episode was spent on the advantages for the player that got voted out.

This season is pretty bad so far.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I know they're probably going to rehide it but it would be very funny if Xander and whoever finds the third idol just lose their vote for the rest of the season.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Congrats to the editors for the wild misdirect I guess?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Aerox posted:

I know they're probably going to rehide it but it would be very funny if Xander and whoever finds the third idol just lose their vote for the rest of the season.

Well it's only until the merge that they lose their vote... which honestly is probably coming up pretty quick.

Also got to say the season is a big step back from Australian Survivor, even if there were only a few big players last season... The editing is just so much better, they actually take the time to develop a storyline for multiple people being potential targets. Instead of US Survivor just building up a storyline for 1 person that will probably not be the one getting voted out and leave you wondering what happened...

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Good lord, this season needs a miracle. Seasons succeed in spite of casting all the time, but I’ve never seen one *fail* so badly in spite of casting. I’m genuinely interested in a dozen of the remaining players, why does watching them feel like pulling teeth?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Worthless waste of time of an episode. I don't mind this season so much (the cast is at least ok) except for the overly complex "idols" - especially for such a short season. Just bring back the basic idol, and let the cast sell the game. Keep It Simple Stupid Jeff.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

After the merge, they are going to have to put a list of players names and all the advantages they have before tribal so people know what the gently caress is going on.

Players with extra votes, steal a votes, idols, and god knows what else they have decided to put in the game.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

After the merge, they are going to have to put a list of players names and all the advantages they have before tribal so people know what the gently caress is going on.

Players with extra votes, steal a votes, idols, and god knows what else they have decided to put in the game.

Lord have mercy, I forgot about all that other crap. Still have the stupid dice too.

Could have sworn Jeff said they were going ro simplify this season. :kingsley:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Like, the episode made it pretty clear that Shan/Ricard/JD was a thing and that Ricard influenced Shan out of voting JD.

But why do you vote out Brad after he willingly shows you everything he has when Ricard clearly has beef with Genie? Just vote Genie. What am I missing!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shneak posted:

That was a genuinely awful episode of Survivor.

An awful episode for an awful season so far.

They've also descended way too far into the wild overproduction that runs rampant in reality shows and which they've largely been able to distance from, until now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm warmer on the season so far than some of y'all but jesus christ I was fully zoning out as basically the entire pre-challenge section was on dealing with various advantages. It's week 3 and there's already 4 different gimmicks knocking about. At least Ua was smarter than Yase in hauling the inactive idol out of the game at the first possible opportunity.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

I'm warmer on the season so far than some of y'all but jesus christ I was fully zoning out as basically the entire pre-challenge section was on dealing with various advantages. It's week 3 and there's already 4 different gimmicks knocking about. At least Ua was smarter than Yase in hauling the inactive idol out of the game at the first possible opportunity.

:same:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor 41: It's like playing a drinking game with that buddy that makes up new rules every 5 minutes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah I’m not too down on the season but I didn’t need to see 3 separate people finding the exact same item dropped in the middle of the camp only to go do the exact same protect/risk thing we’be gotten twice except with a tarp confusingly inserted if everyone picks protect. And man that idol phrase thing is way too goofy and weird, god even knows what happens now with Brad out.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

If they’re going to have this many advantages they should just lean into more with some Genius style editing. Also really glad that Jeff discovered the prisoners’ dilemma in 2021.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Dugong posted:

Also really glad that Jeff discovered the prisoners’ dilemma in 2021.

The prisoners’ dilemma, except they're in the same cell and can freely discuss their thought process before making a decision. :rolleyes:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sand Monster posted:

The prisoners’ dilemma, except they're in the same cell and can freely discuss their thought process before making a decision. :rolleyes:

Still a lot of opportunity to defect. In fact, it's more of a betrayal if they do.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah I’m not too down on the season but I didn’t need to see 3 separate people finding the exact same item dropped in the middle of the camp only to go do the exact same protect/risk thing we’be gotten twice except with a tarp confusingly inserted if everyone picks protect. And man that idol phrase thing is way too goofy and weird, god even knows what happens now with Brad out.

It's cool it was different this time because it was a steal a vote instead of just an extra vote. Steal a vote does have at least a little more power...

They want to do the prisoners dilemma but all the Survivors know what's going on and can just work together and build trust instead of loving each other over...

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The idol advantage thing sucks so bad. Either give players an advantage or don't. Don't sit there loving around with all this "oh you have an advantage but whoops it's not actually an advantage but also it's an idol except it's an idol that doesn't actually protect you from anything unless the stars align" stupid nonsense

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Beware advantage is fine in concept -- but if you're gonna do something like that, you need to give us ONE player finding it, their thoughts -- and then have them go to the meetup, and then reveal the other two that found it. Give us a tiny flashback that shows who knows about it for each of them if you must, then finish the thing. There's so much time being burned explaining these things over and over.

Cast is great. Edit is bad but might be doing what it can with so much to show. Planning is bad. Trust the contestants to make good tv.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
If you have to explain the advantages in detail every episode, and still leave both the players and the viewers confused, it's not a good game mechanic.

Jeff needs to learn how to KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

curiousCat posted:

Beware advantage is fine in concept
Fully agree. They were told to beware. LOL at not reading it before opening it.

The giant complex dog and pony show is dumb though and hearing that butterflies thing a third time is going to be absolutely cringeworthy

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
The secret codewords thing is great because of how obvious it is.

I hope when all 3 codewords are finally said they just throw a huge parade and hand them their idols on silver platters in front of everyone right then and there just to drive it home.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Otteration posted:

Lord have mercy, I forgot about all that other crap. Still have the stupid dice too.

Could have sworn Jeff said they were going ro simplify this season. :kingsley:

Maybe it's simplified compared to whatever challenge-adjacent intertribe market economy system he was dreaming up in the offseason?

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah I’m not too down on the season but I didn’t need to see 3 separate people finding the exact same item dropped in the middle of the camp

By the third time I wanted instead to see a crew member toss the item lightly into a contestant's face. "Did ya catch that? Eh? That lil package there? Eh? Eh? Wanna open it?"

Dugong posted:

If they’re going to have this many advantages they should just lean into more with some Genius style editing. Also really glad that Jeff discovered the prisoners’ dilemma in 2021.

I had the same thought, then was immediately wistful for how clearly they laid out the rules of each game on The Genius. Gets it out of the way instead of guessing how stuff works with a blurry screenshot of unrolled parchment.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Advantage avalanche aside, I'm still enjoying the season and generally find the twists interesting. I think I'm just psyched to have the show back! It probably took a lot of effort to make this even work in the pandemic.

I find this cast generally likeable and I am looking forward to more personalities and alliances to come out when the merge/swap happens. The blue tribe really hasn't had any loyalties tested so the 5-man alliance will probably rip apart at the first tribal if it doesn't make it to a swap. Naseer could be leaning a bit too hard on his 'English is my second language so let's just lay all our cards down so I get it' strategy and Sydney is using that to make him the odd-man out for an easy vote. But this could fall apart if he makes it to the merge because he seems pretty likeable and generally a challenge/camp asset and will probably be an asset for whatever counter alliance emerges.

Hopefully any future 'beware' advantages will have something a bit more interesting than 'can't vote' because sneaking out of camp really doesn't seem that hard when it's pitch black and people get up to piss all the time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Overdrift posted:

Hopefully any future 'beware' advantages will have something a bit more interesting than 'can't vote' because sneaking out of camp really doesn't seem that hard when it's pitch black and people get up to piss all the time.

I enjoyed Brad overthinking it and building a loving mannequin (and almost certainly being seen by Deshawn) followed by shots of the other 2 literally just getting up and walking to the boat.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

the way he rolled down the beach was also fantastic

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I'm going to miss Brad's personality, he was a fun addition to the cast and he genuinely seemed excited to play the game. He had some Tony Vlachos energy with his spy shack but his strategy was pretty much non-existent but I also loved the weird escape plan for the boat ride. Actually Tony's strategy was pretty much non-existent too!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty sure I've already said this once but Brad's the kind of idiot who thinks they have everything figured out that makes early game Survivor fun.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Stray thoughts:

-I feel like the decision to vote Brad out may have come down to Genie. Genie really seemed like Brad's and only Brad's ally, so getting rid of JD leaves Shan/Ricard at potential odds vs a Brad/Genie defection once/if they merge. Now Shan/Ricard/JD have numbers on Genie if for whatever reason they go to council again, and they've eliminated two scary potential advantages at the same time. But as someone else said...

-why not just get rid of Genie? I guess Brad could really have not wanted to, but he doesn't have a vote! You can do it anyway!

-It would've been very funny for Shan to take JD's extra vote, kick him out, then combo that w/ Brad's advantages and have a final three with Genie as their goat

edit:
-also while doing the prisoner's dilemma every time has already gotten old fast, i do like the idea of fostering more cross-tribe alliances to make things extra-spicy come merge. the way they're doing it now is kinda lame though

PopZeus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 8, 2021

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Season is too gimmicky. Do like the losing flint thing. Go back to surviving and less to GOTTA MAKE BIG MOVES

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I felt like more contestants than usual looked shaky in that challenge. There's almost always someone moving slow or wobbling around, but I saw at least three and we were only on day 7 (?).

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I felt like more contestants than usual looked shaky in that challenge. There's almost always someone moving slow or wobbling around, but I saw at least three and we were only on day 7 (?).

I don’t believe they were given rice this season, so everyone’s hitting that starvation weakness earlier.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty sure all they've given out so far to the Survivors is the fruit and fishing gear... and they haven't even really shown any of the tribes actually getting much for food either... But also maybe that's because they have to spend 15 minutes of every episode explaining the advantages.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think people are very hungry

They're chasing crabs all over which probably burns more calories than it provides, but at least gives protein.

Other than that it's coconuts and that one breadfruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I finished season 7, pretty solid for an early season where the game itself was so simplified. It definitely picked up after my earlier post. Jonny Fairplay was a solid heel.
I started season 13 (Cook Islands), the separating people out by their ethnicity was really loving jarring. I can't imagine that's going to last too long before they pull a fast one.

I've also been watching the current season and while I like a lot of the individual players, the game seems overly complicated with all of these beware advantages and so on.