Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Kreeblah posted:

They're going in the "we want to cash in on our name recognition" direction. They stopped giving any fucks about QA and instead started focusing on making GBS threads out as many new products as possible at higher prices. These days, it's not uncommon for firmware to go from alpha to beta to "stable" in the span of a few hours while it's severely broken. I don't know whether they've totally hosed the EdgeRouter series yet like they have the Unifi series, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm currently in the process of replacing all my Unifi crap. I've settled on Ruckus for APs (I got some used R710s at a really good price and threw on their free Unleashed firmware), but I'm still going back and forth on what to do for my switches.

I am in a similar situation where our new detached garage is finally done and I pulled cat6a out there to wire up a second AP. I have an AC AP Pro in the house and was planning on using an old AC AP Lite in the garage but have since discovered that the Lite has died. I no longer have any desire to invest in Ubiquiti so I'm rolling out two Omada APs next week. Interested to see how setup works compared to the Unifi controller.

Also strongly considering replacing my ER-X with something running pfSense as it makes me hearken back to my halcyon days of running m0n0wall, but we'll see how the AP replacements are functioning first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Kreeblah posted:

I don't know whether they've totally hosed the EdgeRouter series yet like they have the Unifi series, but it wouldn't surprise me.

How true is this? I install every update to my AP's/switches and haven't had any hiccups myself, although that's a pretty small sample size.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
IIRC they had an issue a few months ago where the APs switched to mesh mode after an update but that’s about it as far as I’m aware of any major issues. The UDM line had some setbacks but overall I feel the dislike for Unifi can be overblown.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Beef Of Ages posted:

I am in a similar situation where our new detached garage is finally done and I pulled cat6a out there to wire up a second AP. I have an AC AP Pro in the house and was planning on using an old AC AP Lite in the garage but have since discovered that the Lite has died. I no longer have any desire to invest in Ubiquiti so I'm rolling out two Omada APs next week. Interested to see how setup works compared to the Unifi controller.

Also strongly considering replacing my ER-X with something running pfSense as it makes me hearken back to my halcyon days of running m0n0wall, but we'll see how the AP replacements are functioning first.

I’d consider opnsense before pfSense. Lot of bullshit shenanigans and sketchy stuffing going on with pfSense.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I agree that the Unifi hate is unfounded or at least overblown. Their stuff can be overpriced, especially the Protect stuff which costs about 2x of equivalent (arguably better) DIY camera solutions. And I still get a bit annoyed when a core setting is missing in the new UI — but it’s trivial to switch to the old UI for a minute and then switch back (and the new UI does seem to be improving). For context, I’m running a UDM-PRO (replaced a USG-PRO), a USW-24, a USW-Flex, 2x UAP-AC-IW, 2x U6-Lites, and a G4-Doorbell. Other than the occasional AP reboot, I haven’t had any significant Unifi-caused downtime in 3+ years. I also set my parents’ house up with a regular DreamMachine and a pair of APs (on PoE injectors) about 2 years ago and haven’t had to do tech support on it since.

YMMV and I’m sure it’s not the best choice for everyone but in my experience it’s definitely not the dumpster fire money grab that OP makes it sound like. They’re still a perfectly valid option for “prosumer” home use or for a small business.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 6, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the WAP of choice other than Unifi? I absolutely do not want to deal with Meraki licenses or whatever, or spend a ton of money for a WAP. What are people using?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Lol my Unifi Protect app just spontaneously wiped its settings

movax
Aug 30, 2008

HomeKit VLAN question… to date, I have an IOT VLAN (69) and everything else VLAN (1 / default) where I’ve had ‘lazy’ firewall rules (i.e., none, therefore defeating the point). That VLAN is both on wired and wireless.

I’ve not had many issues with devices ‘not responding’ (that weren’t solved with an AP reboot every 3-4 months) until yesterday, when I added my Honeywell Lyric alarm system to HomeKit. tl;dr — works fine when my phone is connected to my IoT SSID, does not work when connected to my regular SSID.

I set up a few ER-4 firewall rules to explicitly allow / block certain types of traffic, and logged them to see if I could see Lyric traffic getting blocked — no hits. mDNS repeater is also on, to bridge those two VLANs.

I feel like I should start Wiresharking something to see where packets are being lost / dropped? I already run UniFi stuff with all the usual terrible options off, and use EdgeOS for routing, so I think I’ve got most of the common issues handled, but definitely open to ideas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the real answer here is Lyric loving sucks poo poo. I tried to do the same when I had a Lyric thermostat and it just would not loving work if it was on anything but my main network.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

withoutclass posted:

How true is this? I install every update to my AP's/switches and haven't had any hiccups myself, although that's a pretty small sample size.

Lawen posted:

I agree that the Unifi hate is unfounded or at least overblown. Their stuff can be overpriced, especially the Protect stuff which costs about 2x of equivalent (arguably better) DIY camera solutions. And I still get a bit annoyed when a core setting is missing in the new UI — but it’s trivial to switch to the old UI for a minute and then switch back (and the new UI does seem to be improving). For context, I’m running a UDM-PRO (replaced a USG-PRO), a USW-24, a USW-Flex, 2x UAP-AC-IW, 2x U6-Lites, and a G4-Doorbell. Other than the occasional AP reboot, I haven’t had any significant Unifi-caused downtime in 3+ years. I also set my parents’ house up with a regular DreamMachine and a pair of APs (on PoE injectors) about 2 years ago and haven’t had to do tech support on it since.

YMMV and I’m sure it’s not the best choice for everyone but in my experience it’s definitely not the dumpster fire money grab that OP makes it sound like. They’re still a perfectly valid option for “prosumer” home use or for a small business.

I'm glad neither of you has run into any issues, but there really is a QA issue there. For example, my controller's currently telling me that it recommends firmware 5.43.43 for the APs that I disconnected when I swapped them out for my Ruckus APs. Taking a look on their forums for people talking about that version, some people have no issues. Other people see APs locking up, dropping off the network, and so on.

Pretty much every "stable" firmware thread is like that. I honestly can't remember when the last time was that they had a generally good firmware version, but it's been a while. And, at least for myself, I've run into serious issues with enough of the firmware versions I've installed over the last couple of years (or, worse, having to factory reset all my hardware because of a controller update that silently changed some settings on my devices and killed my entire network) that I'm pretty done with them.

Edit: Also, if you haven't read up on their recent data breach, you probably should.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 6, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah Protect went into an infinite loop on my Cloud Key because I installed the update after a certain date (???). I had to set up ssh and run a console command to fix it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think the real answer here is Lyric loving sucks poo poo. I tried to do the same when I had a Lyric thermostat and it just would not loving work if it was on anything but my main network.

Yeah… it’s not awesome and they dropped HomeKit on the successor panel (WTF), but figured I’d try to at least packet sniff to see what type of requests are getting lost to cause it to not communicate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Thanks that helped. For some reason I hadn't thought of just an SSID on the same LAN, as i've only used it for VLANS

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Binary Badger posted:

I've set up several Netgear Orbi meshes for friends / relatives and they're a snap to install, so long as you have an iOS/Android phone to help set them up.

On one setup they bought a base station and two repeaters, but it worked so well they ended up needing only one repeater for a two story house, the repeater was at the top of the stairs and the base was at the other end.

Be advised that the smartphone app will require you to create a NetGear account before you can use it to admin anything. The app will also report if anyone tries to intrude onto your WiFi, kinda neat..

Is it overly paranoid of me to worry about this account stuff, and that one day Netgear will go poof and suddenly my AP will be bricked because it relied on a cloud service?

I'm looking at Orbi because I'm moving to an old house that had a large extension added, so there's a thick brick wall right in the middle of the building. The current owner swears by his Orbi setup.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

NetGear has been around for 25 years, they're an international networking products company with offices all over the world, they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

If you don't trust them, there's even one guy who wrote alternative firmware for the Orbi..

The Orbis also have wired backhaul if you don't want to rely on wireless getting through that wall

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

rufius posted:

I’d consider opnsense before pfSense. Lot of bullshit shenanigans and sketchy stuffing going on with pfSense.

Can you elaborate or link to some details? I'm good with figuring out opnsense but need to understand the issues and their impact versus my fairly basic network setup.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Beef Of Ages posted:

Can you elaborate or link to some details? I'm good with figuring out opnsense but need to understand the issues and their impact versus my fairly basic network setup.

There’s been a few things:

- They rushed a half assed WireGuard implementation into FreeBSD Core. They weren’t the only guilty party - FreeBSD maintainers were lax about reviewing code.

- pfSense/Netgate bought opnsense.com and used it to spread FUD about OPNsense.

- pfSense is debatably not really Free Software. That is, you can’t actually build pfSense from scratch because they don’t provide all the source code. This is mostly an issue because they claim otherwise.

- there’s been ongoing code quality concerns (see above note on WireGuard) which is one of the original reasons OPNsense was formed

This is a reasonable link if somewhat biased: https://teklager.se/en/pfsense-vs-opnsense/

The main concern I have is, ignoring the claims, Netgate has never really been forthright in addressing them. There’s always some excuse or some bullshit runaround.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8R5-xNeHY8
Lawrence systems did a big video on it too

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Welp, I just finished writing the TOS for my guest wifi at home, so I think it's finally in as good of a place as I want to bother getting it. The guest network includes:

• An HTTPS captive portal on connection
  • Time-expiring access codes that can be limited by number of devices and can be e-mailed or texted to guests
  • Full client isolation
  • A separate VLAN
  • Access to only the public Internet

In theory, I could put some filtering on it, too, but . . . eh.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Welp, I just finished writing the TOS for my guest wifi at home, so I think it's finally in as good of a place as I want to bother getting it. The guest network includes:

• An HTTPS captive portal on connection
  • Time-expiring access codes that can be limited by number of devices and can be e-mailed or texted to guests
  • Full client isolation
  • A separate VLAN
  • Access to only the public Internet

In theory, I could put some filtering on it, too, but . . . eh.

What sorts of people do you invite over anyway?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SamDabbers posted:

I kinda wanted to ask this, too. If some strange pervert (like a Bitcoin enthusiast) was close enough to use my Wifi I would probably chase him away with my BB gun, not serve him a contract.

Are you like head of IT at Attica?
:colbert:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

SamDabbers posted:

Right now? Nobody, because of the pandemic.

I've got a friend who, in non-pandemic times, teaches classes out of his home, and I figure that whenever it's safe to have company over again, it might be a fun demo of what's possible with relatively inexpensive equipment. He mostly worked with enterprise stuff before he retired from corporate life, so I dunno how much he's kept up on what's been going on with some of the smaller players.

Plus, it was fun to do. :shrug:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kreeblah posted:

Plus, it was fun to do. :shrug:

The best reason to tinker and configure and optimize! I should’ve been a gnome…

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
If I was going to make a guest wifi for human garbage I’d route it though a vpn with the endpoint in Ukraine and cap them at 56k.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

rufius posted:

There’s been a few things:

- They rushed a half assed WireGuard implementation into FreeBSD Core. They weren’t the only guilty party - FreeBSD maintainers were lax about reviewing code.

- pfSense/Netgate bought opnsense.com and used it to spread FUD about OPNsense.

- pfSense is debatably not really Free Software. That is, you can’t actually build pfSense from scratch because they don’t provide all the source code. This is mostly an issue because they claim otherwise.

- there’s been ongoing code quality concerns (see above note on WireGuard) which is one of the original reasons OPNsense was formed

This is a reasonable link if somewhat biased: https://teklager.se/en/pfsense-vs-opnsense/

The main concern I have is, ignoring the claims, Netgate has never really been forthright in addressing them. There’s always some excuse or some bullshit runaround.

Azhais posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8R5-xNeHY8
Lawrence systems did a big video on it too

Thanks, that's helpful. Now to find a reasonable mini-PC with dual Intel NICs, which is tough right now.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Beef Of Ages posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. Now to find a reasonable mini-PC with dual Intel NICs, which is tough right now.

I bought this little fella Mini PC 4-port Celeron J4125 and it’s been humming along with Opnsense beautifully. I’ve got a 400/20 connection and the CPU load is nothing. Gigabit symmetrical fiber is coming next year and it should handle that just fine too. Only bummer was it took about a month to get here, but that’s AliExpress in a nutshell.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Beef Of Ages posted:

These are pretty capable and common options for *sense routers: https://www.mini-box.com/ALIX-APU-Systems

I have one but I don’t use it as a router right now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Out of the mesh network systems, which have the most customization? Reading reviews and they all say "Easy to setup!" but I want to make sure I can set up QoS and all that fun stuff. Bonus points if it can do bandwidth monitoring by device.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Is there a better option for a patch panel than the ridiculously expensive leviton/legrand ones that fits well into a structured media panel? I've got 16 cat6 cables that are currently terminated with rj45 plugs that I'd like to just have go to a patch panel. The options I've looked at are:
1. Spend like $200 on 24 ports of patch panel from leviton, legrand. Probably looks the nicest but by far the most expensive
2. Buy 1-2 vertical wall-mount patch panels and screw or otherwise attach them to the side of the panel with the ports facing parallel to the wall.
3. Get something like this and keystones.

Also is there an easy way to tell whether the panel is actually leviton or legrand? As far as I can tell it's just a white box with no obvious markings, and apparently a they don't use the same hole spacing for mounting things

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I have a couple UniFi APs and a CloudKey installed at my parents’ house. They had a power outage last week, and the CloudKey seems to have died. If you access it on the LAN it thinks the controller is running, but it shows offline on the cloud portal and if you try to manage the controller from the LAN you get a 404 error. Tried rebooting, reloading firmware and controller software, no improvement.

I gave up and adopted their APs to the controller at my house, but has anyone seen that happen with a gen 1 CloudKey before? I figure it’s probably dead but I can’t figure out if there’s a way to bring it back to life.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Medullah posted:

Out of the mesh network systems, which have the most customization? Reading reviews and they all say "Easy to setup!" but I want to make sure I can set up QoS and all that fun stuff. Bonus points if it can do bandwidth monitoring by device.

Asus ZenWifi has a demo https://demoui.asus.com/index.asp to see what features it supports.
Orbi has customization but I can't can't find an emulator to see what all it has.
Otherwise build out a mesh system using standard APs such as Unifi. There might be others but most of the mesh systems sold in stores are locked down and only allow for basic setup from a phone app.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

smax posted:

I have a couple UniFi APs and a CloudKey installed at my parents’ house. They had a power outage last week, and the CloudKey seems to have died. If you access it on the LAN it thinks the controller is running, but it shows offline on the cloud portal and if you try to manage the controller from the LAN you get a 404 error. Tried rebooting, reloading firmware and controller software, no improvement.

I gave up and adopted their APs to the controller at my house, but has anyone seen that happen with a gen 1 CloudKey before? I figure it’s probably dead but I can’t figure out if there’s a way to bring it back to life.

There's a bug in the gen1 cloud key that corrupts the nvram sometimes on a power outage when it's writing. Gen2 added a large power capacitor to give it the couple of seconds of backup to finish writing.

Solution was to put it on a ups.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I had one die that way when the PoE switch powering it had a firmware update and power cycled everything. They're more delicate than an SD card in a Raspberry Pi.

boloney
May 29, 2021
Does the TP-Link AC1750 support FIOS?

boloney fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 10, 2021

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is there a better option for a patch panel than the ridiculously expensive leviton/legrand ones that fits well into a structured media panel? I've got 16 cat6 cables that are currently terminated with rj45 plugs that I'd like to just have go to a patch panel.

Cable Matters makes good stuff for less $$. $70ish for a 24 port loadable panel and 25 cat6 keystones.

E: this is one case where monoprice sucks. The reviews on their keystone panel say their keystone jacks don’t fit.

KS fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 10, 2021

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is there a better option for a patch panel than the ridiculously expensive leviton/legrand ones that fits well into a structured media panel?

Is there something special about the Leviton/Legrand ones that I'm not seeing that justifies those prices? They look like standard rack-size patch panels and you can buy one of those from Monoprice for a fraction of the cost like this $18 one (you'll need a punchdown tool) or this $8.50 keystone one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

boloney posted:

Does the TP-Link AC1750 support FIOS?

It depends what you mean by support. If you have FIOS put your ONT (optical network terminal) into ethernet mode you can use pretty much any router. If you want your FIOS tv set top boxes to work you do need their modem/router combo somewhere on your LAN but it can be behind your router if it's only connecting to the internet and then sending the program information to the set top boxes. Usually that's done over the coax cables since they do MoCA.

If you're just using them for internet then you probably don't even have to rent their combo unit.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

unknown posted:

There's a bug in the gen1 cloud key that corrupts the nvram sometimes on a power outage when it's writing. Gen2 added a large power capacitor to give it the couple of seconds of backup to finish writing.

Solution was to put it on a ups.

It was on a UPS, but 13 hours of power loss is a bit too much for that system.

Whatever, my controller’s running on a computer. This will probably work better long-term.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Lawen posted:

Is there something special about the Leviton/Legrand ones that I'm not seeing that justifies those prices? They look like standard rack-size patch panels and you can buy one of those from Monoprice for a fraction of the cost like this $18 one (you'll need a punchdown tool) or this $8.50 keystone one.

The ones I'm talking aren't rack sized patch panels otherwise I would have already bought a different one for a lot less. They look like this https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-476TM-624-Twist-Mount-Patch/dp/B003O84ZWY

KS posted:

Cable Matters makes good stuff for less $$. $70ish for a 24 port loadable panel and 25 cat6 keystones.

E: this is one case where monoprice sucks. The reviews on their keystone panel say their keystone jacks don’t fit.
This is the 1U one here, right? https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Mount-24-Port-Keystone/dp/B0072JVT02/. Any particular advantage of using this over just an already made 24 port cat6 panel from the same company if I'm not putting anything other than cat6 on it? There are what appear to be speaker wires and coax in the same box, but I'm probably never going to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It’s much, much easier to punch down error-free as well as cable manage loadable patch panels.

I don’t know of any cheap alternatives for that form factor.