Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is weird because of how quick the movie just moves. It pretty much has no down time and everything just keeps going.

Also it is very funny. LETHAL PROTECTOR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gavok posted:

The first movie was something that would have been a forgettable, mediocre thing if not for the star giving 110% in a double role while giving us a delightful bromance and CGI that was hokey, but looked cool. It was incredibly sloppy, but weird and energetic enough to work.

The sequel understood what worked in the original and goes balls to the wall with it. Now Tom Hardy isn't the only unhinged actor devouring all the scenery. Eddie and Cletus' mirror rivalry is more than just having similar powers and looks, but a war between over-actors. More emphasis is put on the Eddie and Venom relationship and they go harder on the bizarre comedy and the "subtext" that Venom is gay. Michelle Williams performs like both the actress and the character realize they're above being part of this bullshit to an exasperated degree. Plot devices are goofy as hell, like how having a symbiote makes you an expert hacker. Carnage very rarely looks realistic, but it doesn't matter because this is what he needs to be.

It's wonderful. If you liked the first one, you'll dig this too.

https://twitter.com/simonm223/status/1443987770071031817

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just an FYI there's only one credit scene for Venom. Although if you do stay all the way through you see that there are quite a few credits about stained glass.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Where are people seeing it? Theaters?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Where are people seeing it? Theaters?

Well yeah, that's the only place it's playing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Question for those who have seen the movie, what was the deal with the detective at the end?

Speaking of, in goofy movie territory Venom 2 wants you to believe that Stephen Graham is older than Woody Harrelson.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I do enjoy when an actor over acts/hams it up but hearing two actors hamming it up just gives me flashback of Batman Forever and Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Thought Carrey was good in Forever depending on your tolerance for his shtick.

I couldn't sanction Jones' buffoonery though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

muscles like this! posted:

Question for those who have seen the movie, what was the deal with the detective at the end?

Speaking of, in goofy movie territory Venom 2 wants you to believe that Stephen Graham is older than Woody Harrelson.

I’m so used to Stephen Graham doing classy and/or gritty roles in British TV dramas that the idea of him doing a Venom and Carnage flick is breaking my mind a bit. In a good way.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

muscles like this! posted:

At some point, he was exposed to an offspring of Carnage, much like how Cletus was exposed to an offspring of Venom. Mulligan is transforming into Toxin.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gavok posted:

Plot devices are goofy as hell, like how having a symbiote makes you an expert hacker.

I don't know if it was on purpose, but I immediately thought of this https://www.cbr.com/venom-carnage-computer-fight/

Also enjoyed this weird-rear end movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

Well yeah, that's the only place it's playing.

Oh just the amount of people talking about it made it seem like it was streaming somewhere.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So was the after credit scene really what was leaked

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

So was the after credit scene really what was leaked

Unfortunately, yes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so it's just like, Eddie wakes up in the morning and jjj is on the tv?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

so it's just like, Eddie wakes up in the morning and jjj is on the tv?

Haven't seen it but have seen plenty of writeups about it now.

Reality changes around them. They're in a lovely hotel watching soaps and as Venom is giving Eddie a glimpse of the symbiote hive mind's collective knowledge (just for fun) there's a shift and they're in a nice room with JJJ on TV talking about Holland Spidey. So there's no confusion Venom says that the mind meld didn't cause it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Haven't seen it but have seen plenty of writeups about it now.

Reality changes around them. They're in a lovely hotel watching soaps and as Venom is giving Eddie a glimpse of the symbiote hive mind's collective knowledge (just for fun) there's a shift and they're in a nice room with JJJ on TV talking about Holland Spidey. So there's no confusion Venom says that the mind meld didn't cause it.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Worth noting that the broadcast appears to be different from the Far From Home one. It has footage of Spider-Man unmasked in public. Venom looms towards the TV, says "THAT... GUY..." and then licks over Peter's face.

Afterwards a guy walks out of the bathroom and sees Eddie sitting on the floor. The guy wonders what he's doing in his hotel room and Eddie just gives a shrug like, "Yeah, I got nothing."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Venom 2 ended up not only killing it at the box office this weekend, but at over $90 million domestic, it's the biggest opening of the pandemic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Turns out there is a large untapped market for monster loving

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I never doubt the bad taste of 90s kids.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gavok posted:

Venom 2 ended up not only killing it at the box office this weekend, but at over $90 million domestic, it's the biggest opening of the pandemic.

Well deserved.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bah, Venom 2 isn't out for another two weeks in the UK for some reason. I've been spoiled by MCU movies for some reason releasing a week or two earlier over here.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom Hardy was already talking about Venom 3 a couple of months ago when he gave an interview about what's next for him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

I never doubt the bad taste of 90s kids.

How dare you? These sophisticated people are just fans of characters from classic Broadway musicals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RgR0-EWuNY

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Letitia Wright is selling her anti-vaxx bullshit on set now.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/covid-vaccine-mandate-hollywood-1235026178/

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well that's a bummer. On the other hand, Giancarlo Esposito rules.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh it is kinda funny that her team apparently all quit when she tweeted about that video

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's gonna be strange when the first hint of X-Men in the MCU is Shuri going through the Siege Perilous and coming out of it as a different actress

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/jonahray/status/1445800500784340992

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Based Giancarlo.

gently caress plague rats.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Letitia Wright is selling her anti-vaxx bullshit on set now.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/covid-vaccine-mandate-hollywood-1235026178/

Surprised Marvel just doesn't recast her, really.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Saw Carnage, and as someone who didn’t see the first one, are you SUPPOSED to love Venom and just loathe the pathetic sadsack he’s attached to? Seriously, every time that Eddie interacts with the plot in the first two acts, it’s because someone else forced him to. You could cut AT LEAST 50% of the scenes where he’s just hanging out in his apartment and lose basically nothing of value.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Saw Carnage, and as someone who didn’t see the first one, are you SUPPOSED to love Venom and just loathe the pathetic sadsack he’s attached to? Seriously, every time that Eddie interacts with the plot in the first two acts, it’s because someone else forced him to. You could cut AT LEAST 50% of the scenes where he’s just hanging out in his apartment and lose basically nothing of value.
So the first hour plus of the original movie is mostly Eddie Brock moping. From what I gather (and I haven't seen the new one yet but the reviews have indicated this), they significantly scaled the buildup back for this one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The fact that Eddie and Venom are the worlds most incompetent superhero is what makes them great.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Eddie is doing his best. Please don't be mean to him. :(

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

I feel like they would have if they hadn't already made the decision to not recast T'Challa. So like, they've made their position clear that they're dedicated to this cast.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Probably would have dropped her back when she posted that insane video, but she figured out that she should shut up about this crap publicly, unlike Gina Carano (of course she was posting more than just anti-vax stuff).

If she's doing this bullshit on set and making people feel unsafe, I doubt she'll be back after Wakanda Forever. Probably don't want to re-cast her at this point since the film is shooting, but I could see them doing it if the situation gets worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The argument at the time from many people was "how does this affect her work?!" and now, well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I think Marvel's pretty wary about how they handle Black Panther films compared to their other IP. Black Panther was a massive hit with a new demographic for the MCU, and then their wildly beloved star died in a very tragic way. Bringing the boot down on Letitia Wright could create a PR problem for them that Disney doesn't really know how to handle. They could boot Edgar Wright because they were (mistakenly) confident they knew how to wrangle nerds back into theaters, but they might not be confident they can do the same for Wakanda Forever without Boseman and with Wright raising hell.