Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Got any extensions that are disabled in private windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That's really bizarre that it works when you log out of Youtube but aren't in a private window, it sounds like something got screwed up in a Google setting somewhere.

If you go into Youtube's settings, under playback and performance, what's this set to?

Also, try signing into Youtube while in a private window and see if it follows you there.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Playback and performance looks exactly like the screenshot you posted.

I can open a private window, watch a 1080p video, click "Sign In," go back to the same video and I'm only offered up to 720p.

Everything works exactly how it should in Chrome, whether I'm signed in or not.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lester Shy posted:

Playback and performance looks exactly like the screenshot you posted.

I can open a private window, watch a 1080p video, click "Sign In," go back to the same video and I'm only offered up to 720p.

Everything works exactly how it should in Chrome, whether I'm signed in or not.

At a guess maybe Google is doing some beta testing of a feature and you're getting shafted.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Looks like this was a problem a lot of other people were having three years ago, which I guess YT fixed after a few days. But apparently I'm the only one experiencing it right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/9usydq/1080p_resolutions_disappeared_from_all_videos/

I switched my preferences to "Always Prefer AV1" (no idea what that means) and that seems to have solved it for the moment.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I don't have an answer for you, it working in a private window tell me that it's either one of your add-ons, which is getting disabled when going in private mode, or like the above poster said, maybe Google is just doing a random experiment, and congrats you were picked!

I use Enhancer for YouTube for all my Youtube interacting, maybe it can help, there are some playback options for Youtube, like setting defaults, etc.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Enhancer for YouTube is one of those extensions I couldn't live without.

YouTube always used to default me to potato quality no matter what I did. Now I have it set to 1440 as the minimum standard resolution.

Plus the built in dark themes and actually have options for video player size which aren't useless.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm curious what would happen with the YouTube thing if you set your user agent string to chrome. Not as a long term solution, obviously.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of Youtube, what happened to the autoplay button on the address bar? I used to have it for Youtube and now it's gone and every video starts autoplaying the second I open it or switch to the tab.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Stare-Out posted:

Speaking of Youtube, what happened to the autoplay button on the address bar? I used to have it for Youtube and now it's gone and every video starts autoplaying the second I open it or switch to the tab.

If you mean the icon on the tab, they changed it so when you hover over it appears in place of the favicon instead of being a permanent icon on the side. The autoplay options on the address bar are still there within the permissions menu

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

If you mean the icon on the tab, they changed it so when you hover over it appears in place of the favicon instead of being a permanent icon on the side. The autoplay options on the address bar are still there within the permissions menu

Huh, I don't have that. The autoplay icon shows up for other sites with video content but not Youtube, for me, clicking that icon brings up a thing that shows if I'm allowing Youtube to send notifications, use my microphone etc. but nothing about autoplay.

E: To clarify, the icon shows up on the address bar next to that little settings icon. I'm on the latest version of FF too.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 28, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of favicons, is there a way to choose the icon for your bookmarks?

There are still a bunch of extensions which will let you change the favicon for an individual tab (I use faviconswitcher which is about as simple to use as it is possible to get), but not for bookmarks.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of favicons, is there a way to choose the icon for your bookmarks?

There are still a bunch of extensions which will let you change the favicon for an individual tab (I use faviconswitcher which is about as simple to use as it is possible to get), but not for bookmarks.

It would be nice to not have all my icons be the grenade.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yes, this.

You can only do so much with emojis.

Guess which one is for GBS.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, this.

You can only do so much with emojis.

Guess which one is for GBS.
I don't understand, none of them are pig balls?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone have this irregular issue where the Reader Mode sometimes just renders the cookies warning (or whatever text that isn't the article you're trying to read)?

Doesn't happen often but every now and then this will happen. And if I exit reader mode, I don't even see the cookies overlay to close it out!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is your adblocker possibly hiding a cookie message, which the reader then displays?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hmm, it does display correctly in a private tab. But if I disable uBlock and try again in a regular tab I get the same behavior :thunk:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Quixzlizx posted:

So I just updated to 92.0, and now my pinned tabs are showing up at the beginning of the dropdown tab list, which I do not want.

Is there a way to revert that? Google has failed me, or maybe I don't know the right term for "tab list."

I'm just wondering whether I got no responses because there's no solution, or because nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about, because I can possibly fix the latter problem.

By "dropdown tab list," I'm talking about the "List all tabs" button at the end of the tab bar.

Edit: It doesn't look good according to this random reddit post I managed to dig up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/comments/pkndd4/pinned_tabs_showing_under_list_all_tabs/

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 5, 2021

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you always have the exact same set of pinned tabs, I think you could hide the first n elements in that list with CSS, but it would be a hardcoded thing and wouldn't adjust to how many or few pinned tabs you actually have if that ever changes.

e:
code:
#allTabsMenu-allTabsViewTabs > toolbaritem:nth-child(-n+5) {
    display: none!important;
}
Where 5 is the number of items to hide from the top of the tab list

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 5, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm just wondering whether I got no responses because there's no solution, or because nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about, because I can possibly fix the latter problem.

By "dropdown tab list," I'm talking about the "List all tabs" button at the end of the tab bar.

Edit: It doesn't look good according to this random reddit post I managed to dig up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/comments/pkndd4/pinned_tabs_showing_under_list_all_tabs/

I think you got no response because pinned tabs have sorted to the front forever, and that change is bringing the drop-down into sync with everything else.

There was an old extension I used to use called "iconify tabs" or something like that, which shrunk a tab down just like pinning it. So if you don't really use pinning as pinning, just for getting more tabs on the bar, you might switch to that.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Klyith posted:

I think you got no response because pinned tabs have sorted to the front forever, and that change is bringing the drop-down into sync with everything else.

There was an old extension I used to use called "iconify tabs" or something like that, which shrunk a tab down just like pinning it. So if you don't really use pinning as pinning, just for getting more tabs on the bar, you might switch to that.

For me, it used to be that pinned tabs didn't show up at all on the "List all tabs" dropdown. Which is what I want, because since they're pinned and always on my screen, I have no need of them taking up useless space on the dropdown.

So, I am using pinned tabs for their intended purpose of being pinned, but I just wish they still weren't showing up at all on the dropdown list.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
there's a new version of firefox out, and you know what that means: more dumb poo poo to disable

Settings > Privacy & Security > scroll down to Address Bar > turn off "Include occasional sponsored suggestions"

I mean I guess you can try looking at the ads first if you want.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I wonder when they'll remove that setting.

ToO mAnY sEtTiNgS tOo MuCh BlOaT

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

there's a new version of firefox out, and you know what that means: more dumb poo poo to disable

Settings > Privacy & Security > scroll down to Address Bar > turn off "Include occasional sponsored suggestions"

I mean I guess you can try looking at the ads first if you want.

I think you mean "Search", but anyway mine was already unchecked. /shrug

Also I wanna give a quick props to Mozilla for not touching the UI for loving once.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Im_Special posted:

I think you mean "Search", but anyway mine was already unchecked. /shrug

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I see those options, but a friend of mine also doesn't see them.

edit: Here's where that learn more link goes:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/navigate-web-faster-firefox-suggest?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

astral
Apr 26, 2004

With that in mind, and from reading that page, it looks like it's a US/non-US thing.

quote:

Users outside of the U.S. will experience this feature with local results only (browsing history, bookmarks, and open tabs).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
This part also suggests it hasn't been rolled out to everyone in the US yet :

quote:

Note: Firefox Suggest is currently available for a limited number of users in the U.S. only.

As for it not being available at all outside the US, maybe it's a GDPR thing?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not inherently against the idea (though I wish it was opt-in instead of opt-out), but I do think they should consider defining what information is sent, since they claim no PII is involved - because PII isn't very thoroughly defined.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Huh, they've gone back to using text from previous versions. It was only a tiny annoyance, but I'm glad to see it changed.

No more "remove bookmark" it's back to "delete bookmark" and "watch video in new tab" is back to "open video in new tab" and a bunch more.

Thanks to whoever at Mozilla was responsible for that.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm not inherently against the idea (though I wish it was opt-in instead of opt-out), but I do think they should consider defining what information is sent, since they claim no PII is involved - because PII isn't very thoroughly defined.

This article goes into it more.

quote:

Mozilla collects the following information to power Firefox Suggest when users have opted in to contextual suggestions.
  • Search queries and suggest impressions: Firefox Suggest sends Mozilla search terms and information about engagement with Firefox Suggest, some of which may be shared with partners to provide and improve the suggested content.
  • Clicks on suggestions: When a user clicks on a suggestion, Mozilla receives notice that suggested links were clicked.
  • Location: Mozilla collects city-level location data along with searches, in order to properly serve location-sensitive queries.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Huh, they've gone back to using text from previous versions. It was only a tiny annoyance, but I'm glad to see it changed.

No more "remove bookmark" it's back to "delete bookmark" and "watch video in new tab" is back to "open video in new tab" and a bunch more.

Thanks to whoever at Mozilla was responsible for that.

Now if only we could get them to change the right-click menu items from "link" (as in "Copy image link") back to "address", which it was for a zillion years and is more correct anyway. (drat it, an address is a URL, a link is an HTML construct containing that URL. But what's actually copied to the clipboard is the address, not a link.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thinking about a non-Android phone for once, is Firefox good on iOS?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ola posted:

Browsers on iOS are just skins on top of Safari.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I use the Brave Browser on iOS but I am sure it is some sort of secret Chinese keylogger.

But hey it blocks ads esp on YouTube, and let’s me watch videos while the phone screen is off.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Ola posted:

MikusR posted:

Browsers on iOS are just skins on top of Safari.

You get to sync tabs and stuff between your phone and browser if you want, but yeah it's not much.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

rarbatrol posted:

You get to sync tabs and stuff between your phone and browser if you want, but yeah it's not much.

What about ad block?

e: Firefox Focus could have worked, but it seems to be more like a private browsing app which doesn't remember logins between sessions.

Ola fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Unless sync is a dealbreaker, you might as well just use Safari as it's really good on iOS 15 with extension support and a great tab switcher. I hope iOS FF gets up to par with it at some point.