Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is there a dice thread? If not I might make one as I am becoming a click clack goblin.

Leperflesh posted:

A tray is a nice thing to have your dice tower empty out into when you use it. I made one for a goon for last year's secret santa and while the tray I made for it was very plain, it was aromatic cedar which adds a nice element I think.

That tray you got Infinitium is very nice. I like the layered effect. Doing that isn't really worth it if you only make one, but you could glue up a long plank or two and then make a bunch of boxes and the time spent would get shared out between them and that'd be cool. Maybe I'll do a project like that one of these days.

They're a big company, so they can definitely crank them out at scale (Albeit I will concede they consistently slip on meeting deadlines due to said scale. I got a $25 gift card out of my tray being late)

What you described is the process they used.

Timestamped to show how utilise a single piece of wood around the edge - Samples are shown later in the vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gMSqxEu9aM&t=259s

Showing off more of the process on a smaller scale, but more Start to Finish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXfvAyh4VvQ

Showing off final product
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGgpjFv8tvA&t=391s

S8E12 also shows off more of the design process wrt wood choices if you're interested in that.

This shows off a Masterwork series, which is a similar process, but features inlays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slph00Rp8Wo&t=62s

Quality assurance, and showing off how they mass produce the veneer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qb5EoKq4qo&t=107s

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'd buy a tray if I ever lose my mind and buy some solid metal/actual stone dice to protect the tabletop surface, if nothing else.

I've got some sharp edged dice coming in, on top of the stone, and it'll be nice to have a rolling surface that won't gently caress up my table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I got a set of lapis lazuli dice that came with a matching bag and tray.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I was thinking about getting or making a dice tray / tower for Gaslands so I don't knock poo poo over. Originally it was going to be thematic to a nuclear plant cooling tower, but it turns out one of those would be 6 feet wide to scale :sweatdrop:

Might just get a utilitarian one from Wyrmwood.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BigRed0427 posted:

I found my old copy of betrayal legacy again that I only played one game of and really wanna play again.

Problem is my roommate HATES the idea of legacy games. I found out from my GF that they went on a massive rant about how I can waste money on something that we can only play once when I got JOTL Gloomhaven.

Now I'm afraid to touch My copy of gloomhaven again along with Betrayal for the same reason. Its gonna start a fight.

I just wanted to play a legacy game. The idea sounds so cool :smith:

Me and my friend group played the very first prologue game which I personally thought had a hilarious gimmick but they all hated it so I never got to play more of it. It sucks, it looks like it has some neat stuff going on with it...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't even play games in person any more but I'm still collecting dice; it seems like a lot of people have picked up dicemaking as a hobby/side business and there's a lot of gorgeous stuff out there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

Is there a dice thread? If not I might make one as I am becoming a click clack goblin.
:justpost:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
metal dice are cool

mini metal dice are cooler

really tiny but still legible metal dice are the best

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BigRed0427 posted:

I found my old copy of betrayal legacy again that I only played one game of and really wanna play again.

Problem is my roommate HATES the idea of legacy games. I found out from my GF that they went on a massive rant about how I can waste money on something that we can only play once when I got JOTL Gloomhaven.

Now I'm afraid to touch My copy of gloomhaven again along with Betrayal for the same reason. Its gonna start a fight.

I just wanted to play a legacy game. The idea sounds so cool :smith:
The idea of betrayal legacy specifically is that when you're done with the campaign you have a full betrayal game that's unique to your group that you can play a many times as you like. You can even completely vanilla it afterwards by not ripping up the cards it tells you to rip up during the game and storing them aside to add back in.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 7, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, a lot of legacy games end up in a state where they're infinitely replayable. But in reality most games only get a certain number of plays before you get tired of them anyway, legacy games just have that number codified in advance.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That also means you can't give or resell them in their original state to other people who might enjoy them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, you're not wrong. It is a drawback to legacy games, but I've found the good aspects (mutating rules, revealing components and advancing a story) of the good legacy games I've played to have been worth that drawback.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FINE! I WILL!

:siren::siren::siren: Dice thread for Dice Goblins who want to talk about Dice! DICE SO SHINY! NEED MORE DICE! :siren::siren::siren:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Legacy games also work a lot better if your gaming group is the 4-6 players the game suggests that can regularly get together vs a rotating bigger group. Which is part of why I never got into them, subbing in to the middle of a story where the choices made by others made changes I have no reference point for and the choices I make may do the same for others just didn't have the same appeal.
Another big thing was two of the people in my group who got into legacy stuff went way into "I want to play through the entire campaign in 1-2 weeks so will be hosting anyone who can make it every other night to marathon the game and see what happens"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I've had a lot of fun with the Sci-fi Solo Wargaming system 5 Parsecs from Home, so I decided to write up a narrative after action report of a skirmish game I had with a randomly generated rag-tag crew.

It's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3959142&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post518324702

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
drat, I forgot how draining herding cats for RPGs can be. Texting and messaging last week all 5 players were good to go. We agreed to a scheduled time and a start date for session 0.
Only 2 out of the 5 even bother signing up via roll20 though. Then only 1 out of 5 even glanced at the book or thought of some character ideas they wanted to play. All 5 no showed for session 0. 1 had a decent excuse/a big deal real life thing going on that understandably means they'll play when they can, and let me know about it ahead of time, so that's okay. It's the other players showing zero effort or consideration that annoys me.
At this point I'll just let the players arrange the game's start date amongst themselves. If they log in and text me or something maybe I'll hop on and run something if I'm not busy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

drat, I forgot how draining herding cats for RPGs can be. Texting and messaging last week all 5 players were good to go. We agreed to a scheduled time and a start date for session 0.
Only 2 out of the 5 even bother signing up via roll20 though. Then only 1 out of 5 even glanced at the book or thought of some character ideas they wanted to play. All 5 no showed for session 0. 1 had a decent excuse/a big deal real life thing going on that understandably means they'll play when they can, and let me know about it ahead of time, so that's okay. It's the other players showing zero effort or consideration that annoys me.
At this point I'll just let the players arrange the game's start date amongst themselves. If they log in and text me or something maybe I'll hop on and run something if I'm not busy.

Have you tried playing with humans instead of cats?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I think this is more or less standard. It's what makes me wonder if anyone actually enjoys RPGs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Was this strangers or IRL friends?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

hyphz posted:

I think this is more or less standard. It's what makes me wonder if anyone actually enjoys RPGs.

What a bizarre point of view. I run multiple games a week for people who always call ahead if they can't play, and I have old friends driving halfway across the state to play in a monthly game when they could do literally anything else.

Yes, plenty of people enjoy RPGs.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm in two groups, one is very regular Saturday mornings, going on a decade. Not too unusual to miss a week or two, next two weeks look like they won't happen, but it's pretty easy.

Other group is trickier, two of us are 9-5ers and two are retail, so it's basically "whichever night of TWH was extended mercy by the retail gods." That group is newer, we started in like June and sometimes we'll miss like 3 weeks in a row because it's never an ideal time and we have slightly more players.

Ultimately RPGs haven't proven meaningfully harder than other social activities, other that nobody I play with is like a full time GM. Current GM in the 2nd group is a natural but it's their first campaign and they're unsurprisingly quite anxious a lot of the time. First group generally winds up with an extended game of chicken when a campaign draws down.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

hyphz posted:

It's not standard in any games I've run or played in, either online or in person.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

hyphz posted:

It's just you.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It does happen in my friend group, but I wouldn't call it standard, no. One of my friends did try to get a campaign going for his co-workers, though, and ended up with a similar situation, where basically two people engaged in any way prior to the zero session, one showed up for the zero session, the other had a legit excuse but admitted they'd probably continue to be a headache to schedule around, the other four ghosted with either no or very lame excuses.

I definitely feel like as TTRPGs have become more popular in the mainstream, I've had more potential players who have been interested in the idea of having a regular game, but weren't actually all that committed to doing it every week, or doing even the bare minimum of reading or prep for a given campaign or game. They're definitely the minority, though. I'd say my two newest players (both new to my gaming group, and new to TTRPGs in general) are probably my most committed and enthusiastic players, actually. They're the ones who sort of set the standard to which I have to prep for any given session, because they like to read sourcebooks and will come up with ideas from way out of left field, lol.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Deleter posted:

It's just you.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Deleter posted:

It's just you.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

The Deleter posted:

It's just you.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Deleter posted:

It's just you.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I love it tabletop rpgs. I think it’s fun to introduce them to new people too, but after college it becomes a bit of a commitment to set aside 3-6 hours once per week in the evening for a game. I think a lot of newer people interested in trying them don’t really comprehend that, or the kind of pre-planning work they might need to do like reading the rule book or making a character. It can feel a lot like homework for what’s meant to be a fun leisure activity.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm always just a little grumpy about having to get out of bed at 7 AM to play some fuckin' D&D, but I always feel glad I did by the end of the session

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

The Deleter posted:

It's just you.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I love consistent groups when I find them, but in my experience a great many gamers will "commit" to any old schedule and then just flake. Not "stuff comes up" cancelling, just a "hobby times are optional" attitude even though you're loving up everyone else's schedule because you just didn't care that much to begin with.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

moths posted:

Was this strangers or IRL friends?

All people I have known in meat space for many many years, and all of the ones who didn't bother clicking the roll20 game invite have plenty of hours logged on the site.

That Old Tree posted:

I love consistent groups when I find them, but in my experience a great many gamers will "commit" to any old schedule and then just flake. Not "stuff comes up" cancelling, just a "hobby times are optional" attitude even though you're loving up everyone else's schedule because you just didn't care that much to begin with.

Yeah, this is how it usually goes in my experience. I blame pretty much everyone having full time work and a ton of responsibilities we didn't have as teens. It's also why I now try to GM reactive systems like PbtA, FitD, or Resistance, so at least I'm only having to juggle story beats and hooks and not encounter math.

This episode was a unique low, but also was part of a pattern. Towards the end of the game I wrapped up over the summer I had to start doing stuff like confirming with everyone a few days before the game, then with my more forgetful players a day of game message -and then 5 minutes after start time texts to anyone who wasn't there to see if they were logging in or we should start without them.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nuns with Guns posted:

I love it tabletop rpgs. I think it’s fun to introduce them to new people too, but after college it becomes a bit of a commitment to set aside 3-6 hours once per week in the evening for a game. I think a lot of newer people interested in trying them don’t really comprehend that, or the kind of pre-planning work they might need to do like reading the rule book or making a character. It can feel a lot like homework for what’s meant to be a fun leisure activity.

I've developed a very strong preference for games that are so light people need neither make characters nor read rules beforehand, and that is a pretty big reason why. The friends I have that get the most out of RPGs are the ones who are often the worst at planning ahead.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, I don't think I'd expect strangers to consistently build characters in advance. I either provide pregens or it's a system where making a character takes at most 10 minutes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tulip posted:

I've developed a very strong preference for games that are so light people need neither make characters nor read rules beforehand, and that is a pretty big reason why. The friends I have that get the most out of RPGs are the ones who are often the worst at planning ahead.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong systems, but what games are so light that people don't need to read the rules? I've been playing Fellowship and a few other PbtA games lately and even those have """""homework"""" before session zero/one. When I start games with new players I make it as clear as I can that I expect people to read some of the rules in advance - and I always emphasize that I'm more than happy to answer questions and I always pick out the relevant chapters or pages beforehand so it rarely works out to more like reading 16-20 pages (with pictures!) over the course of two weeks before a game begins - but that even in prep-light games I'll be doing a fair amount of work week to week so it's a fair expectation in my eyes.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Honestly, a lot of BRP stuff needs very little rules knowledge. For 90% of any particular Call of Cthulhu session you don't need to know anything beyond "skill percentages are your odds to succeed, roll percentile dice when you're told to".

Jon Peterson's The Elusive Shift reveals that back in the early days of OD&D one of the big points of disagreement in the community was whether players should know the rules or even make their own rolls, so it was clearly viable to run that with people who hadn't read the rules beforehand.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Some small amount of background will always be required if we’re assuming players are blank slates, but if you’re recruiting in a space about RPGs you can usually assume a lot of basic knowledge that can be a big conceptual hurdle, e.g. what an RPG is and other stuff that’s in the mandatory part of a rulebook that almost no one even reads. Then, similar to boardgames, just by playing multiple systems you slowly accrete analogous knowledge that you can apply to new games like “what a dicepool is” or “worker placement”.

Leaving that aside, I’m assuming “no homework” actually means “prep so minimal it fits on an index card or can he done verbally in a minute or two or through play”. Like the actual rules for Dread that are player-facing could be tattooed on someone’s forehead and still be legible across a table, or most of the actual rules crunch for PBtA games is on reference sheets that are right in front of you.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
While I've been a part of a few groups that've fallen apart as a result of flakes, I find the more common problem is finding a time when people's schedules all align. It's often been the case where I've got a bunch of reliable, interested players that just can't be available for a timeslot that works for the rest of the group.

One of the undervalued skills/abilities good GMs tend to have is knowing reliable people they can get to populate a game and the ability to vet newbies for reliability before the campaign starts.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Countblanc posted:

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong systems, but what games are so light that people don't need to read the rules? I've been playing Fellowship and a few other PbtA games lately and even those have """""homework"""" before session zero/one. When I start games with new players I make it as clear as I can that I expect people to read some of the rules in advance - and I always emphasize that I'm more than happy to answer questions and I always pick out the relevant chapters or pages beforehand so it rarely works out to more like reading 16-20 pages (with pictures!) over the course of two weeks before a game begins - but that even in prep-light games I'll be doing a fair amount of work week to week so it's a fair expectation in my eyes.

paranoia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Detailed Character Generation is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it's homework people won't do. On the other hand, doing it can be inspiring, as you can see all the cool stuff your character will be able to or will eventually get to do. Automated character generators really help for this, but can be a bugger to look after.