Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

That font is extremely 1989 and I’ve always had a soft spot for that era of graphic design.

The late 80's, ah they had some rocks you could climb a musical montage too.

Unlike the boring far to serious rocks we have today. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zurtilik posted:

Remembering that Data is fully functional and anatomically correct as I get mad about Boimler's taint.

Reminder that the writer of the Naked Now literally had her name taken off the episode because Gene took out her character work and in its place crammed in as much sexy poo poo as the network would let him get away with and she felt it just ended up degrading and he just wanted more sexy sex.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sexy sex is the best kind

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember that "Where Sexy Sex Has Lease" draft where the entity Nakedgilum is a smear of humping genitalia across space

Seemed too far

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Behr writing Captain's Holiday, meeting with Gene:

"He says, 'I like the idea of the pleasure planet and I want it to be a place where you see women fondling and kissing other women, and men hugging and holding hands and kissing, and we can imply that they're having sex in the background.'" Behr was briefly flummoxed on how to politely tell Roddenberry that such scenes would never make it past network censors. "I'm going, 'Oh, man, I'm in the freakin' Twilight Zone.' I go back to Rick. He goes, 'Pft, pay no attention to that, just get the captain laid.'"

I mean, kudos to him on the gay part I guess. Although there is a bleak hilarity that even with that he suggested 'women fondling, men holding hands'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 5, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

That seems like it would make it really hard to put on boots. Claw will be scraping the whole time. Why do klingons wear boots?

SMH — why even have transporters if you don’t use them to get dressed

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Observe closely, Captain, and I will again demonstrate the Klingon Foot-Wrapping Ritual.

Targy ears, targy ears, playing by a bloodtree. Criss-crossed the bloodtree, trying to catch me. Targy ears, targy ears, jumped into the hole, popped out the other side beautiful and bold."

"And the hosed-up little claw is the targ?"

"NO. ...yes. But it is NOT hosed UP."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"Banana, hot"
https://youtu.be/fM9hYzJnao0

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The_Doctor posted:

SMH 2 penises and not even a decent bulge on that sheet.

Not every phallus also serves as a urinary tract :science:

(This is a dumb point I'm making because that's clearly what the scene in Discovery was implying but for the sake of needless pedantry (AKA Star Trek) I'll make it anyway.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The_Doctor posted:

SMH 2 penises and not even a decent bulge on that sheet.

Maybe they are retractable? Lots of creatures have retractable penis, it's good design. Having that thing out there flapping in the breeze is an unnecessary risk.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Finally caught up on LD.

I like this season. Looks like they're finding their footing with the characters. Renfair planet ship was hilarious.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/JackQuaid92/status/1445847818720006145

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Between Lower Decks and The Boys, Quaid is a goddamned treasure.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I hope the disco-future era klingons are once again distinct from their appearances on TOS, TNG, Disco, and Disco Again A Little Later. Klingons are the warrior race who radically later appearances sometimes and nobody talks about it.

Maybe this is what they write all that angsty music about.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wee Bairns posted:

Between Lower Decks and The Boys, Quaid is a goddamned treasure.

Also between his father and uncle, he is currently the Best Quaid as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

nine-gear crow posted:

Also between his father and uncle, he is currently the Best Quaid as well.

Oh good lord, I didn’t put that he was related together at all. :doh:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh my god Lower Decks this week is loving fire.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Another solid loving episode. It's a shame the entire season couldn't be this good but I'm really glad a lot of it is as high note as this one.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

J33uk posted:

We don't deserve a show this good, my god.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

please give me a million more episodes like this

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

J33uk posted:

When Lower Decks hits the mark it's not just a good comedy, it's drat good Star Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That was great.

(Also geez that science ship was like twice the size of a Galaxy-class)

(Also hehe Ransom gave Boimler a wesley)

Aww Rutherford is messing with His and Tendi's DS9 model.

I wonder if we're gonna get Impulsive Vulcan on the Cerritos?

E: Oh my god the end credits.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 7, 2021

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

MikeJF posted:

That was great.

I wonder if we're gonna get Impulsive Vulcan on the Cerritos?

guess that’s how it’s lined up; based on today she’ll be very fun next season

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently the title is Klingon for 'Three Ships'.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There were several times where that episode was almost funny. You could see what the jokes were supposed to be. There was definitely the potential for humour. Didn't quite get there, but you could tell they were trying.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The end credit 'gag' was perfect.
This show is great, and the visuals are outstanding.
Tho I coulda swore I heard Dorn's voice a couple of times on the Klingon ship, his name wasn't in the credits.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wee Bairns posted:

The end credit 'gag' was perfect.
A perfect setup for a joke, yeah. Pity they forgot the punchline. The text told us we were about to see the lower decks of the borg cube, so we're primed to expect them to just be standing silently in their pods or whatever. And they are. OK. But then nothing happened. Our expectations weren't subverted in any way.

Same with the scenes on the Vulcan ship. The low-ranking Vulcan says something calmly and politely and is reprimanded for her "outburst". We know that Vulcans are known for their stoicism and so we understand that their threshold for what constitutes an "outburst" is much lower. But just showing that doesn't actually rise to the level of being funny. You've set up the premise for a joke but you haven't told the actual joke yet. And they repeated that setup multiple times but the punchline never came. There was no payoff.

And the whole episode was like that.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Thank you for your personal interpretation of what you found funny, and did not.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

E: nm.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 7, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's not that there's never a punchline, it's that when there is a good punchline the show ruins it by telling you what it is before it does the joke. See: the end of episode 1 where everyone is telling Mariner that Boimler is having the time of his live and laying it thick and the joke is obviously that he's not enjoying himself and then they just show you that. Or the Doopler thing where we are told that the joke is that he duplicates when embarrassed, and then he does.

Humour being personally subjective and all that, I'd be astonished if anyone claimed they were genuinely surprised by a LDS laugh line.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
It was a fun episode in a high-concept way, even if it was lighter on the jokes -- it was enjoyable to pull back from the Cerritos a bit and see that there are Klingon Boimlers and Vulcan Mariners out there, and it pushed the series' overall plot forwards in an interesting way and (apparently) sets up at least one new main or recurring character with an intriguing hook.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god, the Klingon Opera was the Gargoyles theme song.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tiggum posted:

There were several times where that episode was almost funny. You could see what the jokes were supposed to be. There was definitely the potential for humour. Didn't quite get there, but you could tell they were trying.

Wow, you're stupid. Like objectively stupid. The Platonic ideal of stupid.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

Don't reply to them, it just clogs up the thread and won't go anywhere.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

8one6 posted:

What do you get out of posting this? Are you hoping to make me feel bad? Does it upset you so much that I don't like this show that you have to lash out?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It makes me sad that there's people who can't enjoy something that was as fun as this episode was, but I don't feel the need to shake my finger at them in the thread. You post did read as if it was doing a bit based on the Vulcans though, to me!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gwaihir posted:

It makes me sad that there's people who can't enjoy something that was as fun as this episode was, but I don't feel the need to shake my finger at them in the thread. You post did read as if it was doing a bit based on the Vulcans though, to me!!

To be fair smugly posting a reply to someone on how they liked a joke about how it wasn’t really a joke is pretty dickish

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I did like the way it initially felt like they were doing a Family-Guy cutaway gag but then halfway through the episode started wrapping the storylines together. (that's also what the end-credits gag was missing - it should have had the 'collective voice say something like "Spacial anomaly detected at grid reference xxx-xxx, do thing" and then absolutely nothing happens with the drones because that's not how a borg cube works.
Just a little bit of a tie-in to call back to the events of the story rather than being an actual Family-guy cutaway
).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair smugly posting a reply to someone on how they liked a joke about how it wasn’t really a joke is pretty dickish
Sorry if it came across as smug. I was just explaining why I didn't like the episode. If you've got a different take, maybe you could share it and we could have a discussion about the show in this thread for discussing the show.

Alchenar posted:

I did like the way it initially felt like they were doing a Family-Guy cutaway gag but then halfway through the episode started wrapping the storylines together. (that's also what the end-credits gag was missing - it should have had the 'collective voice say something like "Spacial anomaly detected at grid reference xxx-xxx, do thing" and then absolutely nothing happens with the drones because that's not how a borg cube works.
Just a little bit of a tie-in to call back to the events of the story rather than being an actual Family-guy cutaway
).
That would have been better. Still missing something though. Might work if the end of the episode had been more triumphant in a "glad we've got this area's problems neatly resolved and nothing will ever go wrong again" kind of way to immediately undercut that with "but actually the borg are on their way".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lord these threads attract a very specific kind of lovely posting

Great, great episode.

LOL'd every time they showed another ship

punitive spiritualism:laffo:

Red alert sending everyone out into the corridors in all sorts of costumes was great

Even moved the main plot along quite a but using viewpoints we wouldn't normally get and tied it into the main gag of the ep. Top notch

MikeJF posted:

Oh my god, the Klingon Opera was the Gargoyles theme song.

For the first 6 notes at least. I replayed it several times because my brain knew it was something. The Expanse? no. Game of Thrones? no. GARGOYLES wtf