Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

To tie together a couple of recent subjects, one of the many ways social media poisons you is making you addicted to dispair

A sizeable chunk of the population is convinced every day is more disastrous than the last and get for-real angry when anyone suggests otherwise

Goons in politics sub-forums have always believed that the sky is falling. In LF they would obsess over Peak Oil and the resultant end of modern society. Not surprisingly, they ended up being totally wrong there.

The writer of the Book of Revelation would have likely been a goon, had SA existed back then.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you genuinely care, too, you can't be effective for any positive change if you're not well yourself.

I'm not sure this is accurate. Many groups that have done great good were founded, run and based around people who were not "healthy" by most standards.

Trying to be healthier is a good thing though, and people should try and do so. But I think the eternal quest for "health" for knowing what to do and how to do it and the right way of being right is just hard.

Also, in response to the above. "oh look how wrong they were, things aren't that bad", considering that Covid proved people worried about flu's correct I am reticent to just dismiss any sort of worry about the future as "doom mongering".

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Oct 7, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
This is what they do: they make 100 claims about devastating world events, and when one of them is kind of sort of might be somewhat in the ballpark accurate (also don't get your info on COVID from goons--get the information from medical professionals), they focus and fixate on their one partially accurate claim, and stop talking about the 99 others which were totally wrong.

Edit:
Also people, even including medical professionals, at the brink of the COVID epidemic, made a bunch of claims about the illness which ended up being exaggerated and wrong. They made them because they were scared and there was a lot more uncertainty about the virus at the time.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 11:41 on Oct 7, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

My country kept opening and shutting so much that it caused us to become one of the primary incubation points for the delta variant. I don't think that anyone over here with nay power has ever listened to the experts views. I have never been in one of the Covid threads, but people who were worried about it were right. More people were dying in the US of Covid than died in 9/11. Going "well lots of different people make lots of predictions, just because some of them are right and mass death did ensue but not all that often" is not a good argument against that.

It's not as if there isn't hope, but trying to say "look, they were only right some of the time" when that "some of the time" is backed up by personal experience, scientific opinion and so on is not the same as running around clad in a pair of pajamas ranting about the coming apocalypse.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Unfortunately COVID is heavily politicized (and this is to be expected, since it has major societal impact) so as a result it is untoward for people to admit that they made incorrect predictions about the virus/illness.

It is totally true that at the beginning of the epidemic there were a lot of claims about COVID, some even made by medical professionals, which ended up being an exaggeration about how it worked and the effect of the virus. They made these claims because they were scared and because there was a lot more uncertainty about the virus at the time. The most doom-y of the doomsayers were not 100% right about COVID.

Edit: IMO, a huge reason why goons make these posts about the end of the world is because a lot of them have depression and fantasizing about the end of the world is a symptom of their mental illness.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Oct 7, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

silence_kit posted:

It is totally true that at the beginning of the epidemic there were a lot of claims about COVID, some even made by medical professionals, which ended up being an exaggeration about how it worked and the effect of the virus. They made these claims because they were scared and because there was a lot more uncertainty about the virus at the time. The most doom-y of the doomsayers were not 100% right about COVID.

Some were not correct yes. But those that predicted a worse response if, say, lockdown wasn't adhered to properly or that schools were re-opened prior to mass vaccine take up were.

What you appear to be saying, and I do apologise if I am misinterpreting here is that "well, it could have been worse!". That you say this not after but during such an event seems unfair.

Lots of people are mentally unwell. However I don't think that prevents them from having points of view that can be correct on things. We also, I think, need to look at why mental ill health has become more common as of late. It's likely to just be better diagnosis, but a big question that often goes unasked or unthought about is "what makes someone healthy".

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Oct 7, 2021

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Imo, it's not okay to feel bad or anxious or depressed as that only makes our enemies stronger because they feed on you feeling hurt and scared and getting owned to cover up how hurt and scared they are all the time.

And I hate those guys, so gently caress'em.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I say anything about the pandemic, people will say “relevant title lol”, but the thing is, this title was granted to me in mid July.

I didn’t extend the pandemic. The pandemic was always going to extend well into the future, and it’s a shame that people were given false hope to the contrary. You don’t have to cower in your house like someone once imagined I did, but the virus is a fact of life now. Treat it like you would any other changing environmental condition. The ozone layer is thinner, so put on sunblock. The sea is rising, so don’t buy coastal real estate in Florida. Conditions may improve or deteriorate, but they’re not going to just go away one day.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Get your vaccinations.
Wear your mask in public.
Do what you are loving told.

Super simple stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We fixed the ozone layer.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

silence_kit posted:

Edit: IMO, a huge reason why goons make these posts about the end of the world is because a lot of them have depression and fantasizing about the end of the world is a symptom of their mental illness.

Diagnosing others as mentally ill is just your go-to conversation piece, hey?

Aphrodite posted:

And acid rain!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aphrodite posted:

Not quite.

We arrested its decay and it is slowly recovering. It’s still worse today than it was in 1980, decades after the Montreal Protocol went into effect.

I did intentionally choose it as example of a long term problem that is getting better, though.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Oct 7, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Remember smog existing in the west

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The lonely mountain actually

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

:mad:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gaius Marius posted:

PHUO: Erebor is part of the West.

Esgaroth is inhabited by Men of the West and allied with Gondor and Rohan against the Easterlings.

Erebor is not far north of Esgaroth, so if the latter is part of the west, so is the former.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Platystemon posted:

Esgaroth is inhabited by Men of the West and allied with Gondor and Rohan against the Easterlings.

Erebor is not far north of Esgaroth, so if the latter is part of the west, so is the former.

Ugh, California politics are so confusing.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Platystemon posted:

You're gonna have to point it out on the map

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
English is a beautiful language

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

thetoughestbean posted:

If you have the opposite worldview of Jokerpilled Drudge does that make you Batmanpilled Nobility?

sorry this is a page back, but that would be a Supermanpilled Lugian

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Craftworld Eldar are the most boring part of Warhammer 40k

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

You say that, but space marines and dark eldar exist.

Also all of 40K would be so much better if you chisseled away the fascist elements of so much of it. Also keeping that Tau as honest to God "we are doing our best to be nice" good guys would be so much more interesting than "everything is bleak forever" nonsense.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Personally I embrace the fascism of Warhammer 40k and long for the simplicity and stability of an eternal undead emperor. Frankly, I don't know how you could look at the world today and wish for anything else.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The God Emperor seems chill. I'd hang out with him

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oh dang, I thought up the perfect example of why OnlyBans was wrong

The word "Utopia" is the name of a book written by a guy in the 1500s. That's it. That one individual glued two pieces of latin together and wrote a book around an ideal society, and started an entire genre of hundreds of thousands of books and a significant part of culture all named and based around two words (Dystopias and Utopias), just by coining a word (Utopia) and writing a good book.

Yes, the actual concept of an "ideal society" is older, but he singlehandedly gave it a name that has been associated inextricably with that concept for 500 years. We have places that are marked on the map with that word. We have companies and music and books and television shows containing that word.

So of course, the logical conclusion is that one person cannot alter or influence culture 🙄

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The God Emperor seems chill. I'd hang out with him

I think having a singular "great man" theory of history come to life and then spectacularly gently caress himself, everyone around him, and quite possibly the universe in which he exists isn't chill.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I bet the god emperor enjoys really hoppy IPAs. Like waaaaaay hoppier than we have now. Like technology hasn't advanced enough for us to have the hoppiest of ales yet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I think having a singular "great man" theory of history come to life and then spectacularly gently caress himself, everyone around him, and quite possibly the universe in which he exists isn't chill.

Total Fuckups always have the best stories, and I can't think of a bigger fuckup then damning a universe. I'd totally throw a few back with the lad. Besides what the hell else am I gonna do in the WH40K universe, Die Horribly? That ain't my scene

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Local Weather posted:

Since I've moved out of the US to a very nice neighborhood in a nice town in Europe it's a lot easier to see that there are good things in the world. Things aren't all headed for poo poo and doom. To improve my attitude more, I've stopped looking at Google News, deleted Facebook, never engage with Twitter, and stay away from most places where the discussion is mostly arguing about politics.

I think it's incorrect to paint europe as some utopia. I lived in a very nice part of Zurich (which is basically all parts of it) for a couple years and there are still extremely petty people wanting to cause drama over every little thing, they just do it in a different way than americans. I've had people literally dig through my trash and confront me about throwing something out that was recyclable.

Still a nice place, but the USA isn't unique in having lovely/annoying people.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Also all of 40K would be so much better if you chisseled away the fascist elements of so much of it.

40ks setting is basically anti-fascist satire, so if you chisel it away you're left with an empty husk of nothing.

Which is what they've been doing for the last few years with the newer editions and it fuckin sucks.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

phuo: nearly all drivers don't know how to use their 4-way flashers/hazard lights and should be openly mocked for misuse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

phuo: nearly all drivers don't know how to use their 4-way flashers/hazard lights and should be openly mocked for misuse.

I don't know what that is

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Seems dangerous to be flashing people while driving, that's what you have passengers for.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People always say you aren't supposed to use them in a storm but honestly having driven in tropical storm conditions they do help make sure you know where the other cars are. I don't care what the law is, they help.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People always say you aren't supposed to use them in a storm but honestly having driven in tropical storm conditions they do help make sure you know where the other cars are. I don't care what the law is, they help.

That seems like exactly when you should use them. Not when idling in front of the drug store.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
you mean the doordash indicators?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This is, quite simply, far too much work

https://twitter.com/ichiipsy/status/1445898082147733506?s=20

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Fashionable Jorts posted:

That seems like exactly when you should use them. Not when idling in front of the drug store.

There's always a big debate when this comes up in florida facebook/nextdoor groups. One camp says it's fine, the louder camp says it's illegal and if you feel the need to put hazards or slow down on the interstate when you can't see 5 feet in front of you you shouldn't be driving.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

We should probably stick with the PS5 for like, 20 years. Games look good enough, there's no real reason to try harder. Just really make the most out of what we've got. If Nintendo wants to do a Switch 2 in that time, fine, but then they gotta stick with that for a decade or so too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kupachek posted:

You're gonna have to point it out on the map

They’re in the red circle.