Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

sure i guess it's endemic if you define the region of infection as "the entire loving planet" and if you pretend it doesn't go on an exponential growth curve every time a variant pops up

i mean who cares what words mean, the capitalists are suffering :qq:

If we traded a cure for cancer for "living with the virus" we'd maybe roughly break even on mortality. But sure let's trade for shopping instead, that's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

pigz posted:

Pfizer submitted for boosters on aug 16 and they were approved sep 22. I expext kids to take a bit longer. I have no idea what impact the dumb no vax for kids agreement people will have but if its minimal we could see approval the week before Thanksgiving. Sure white house is desperwte to beat Thanksgiving but i think anti-vaxers will get it pushed to December.

The FDA also took ~5 weeks to approve the adolescent Pfizer EUA application. However I read some speculation that it might be approved within days of the meeting late October.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Also just spotted a snack table, so everyone is probably eating the whole time.

:lmao:

if your eating or drinking the virus cant get you

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Iron Crowned posted:

Just overheard the guy who was "out" say not only confirm that it was COVID, but that he barely avoided the vent, was unvaxxed and still doesn't believe in it

lol people still think this will be solved by personal choice and that lived experience is at all relevant to a clear public health crisis

"it's muh right to break lockdown because I've been in lockdown longer than anyone else in the entire world!" says the woebegone d&d Australian

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PerniciousKnid posted:

If we traded a cure for cancer for "living with the virus" we'd maybe roughly break even on mortality. But sure let's trade for shopping instead, that's worth it.

Even without a cure for cancer, covid is going to kill more than cancer. It's why mosquitoes killed half of humans in history - just keep infecting them so they die before strokes, cancer, heart disease even start to add up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol Im not giving my kid Pfizer. Come on Moderna get with it

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

BeefThief posted:

on planes, they don't even pause for breath between "due to federal regulations and recent CDC guidance masks are required to be worn over your nose and mouth at all times regardless of vaccination status" and "light snacks and drinks will be served on this flight"

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

euphronius posted:

mods plz ban this antivax filth

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mastershakeman posted:

Even without a cure for cancer, covid is going to kill more than cancer. It's why mosquitoes killed half of humans in history - just keep infecting them so they die before strokes, cancer, heart disease even start to add up

The local news is literally giving more coverage to cancer fundraising than it is to COVID these days.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

Same, "moderna" even has "rna" right in the name

e and "Pfizer" is "R...I...P" backwards

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

Lmao so much for Pfizer being S-tier after the wave of new research.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

euphronius posted:

Signed up my kids for all the local Moderna clinical trials thinking they were behind in the development process and would be desperate for participants ASAP before Pfizer gets EUAd. However we never got any response. Sad lack of hustle.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm just glad COVID is over though

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BeefThief posted:

At my work they said if you offered to work on site supervisors would drop by to leave chips and soda for morale improving rewards.

This will make the team feel better!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

The local news is literally giving more coverage to cancer fundraising than it is to COVID these days.

Well yeah, this generation of boomers only cares about cancer etc. It's the zoomers who think covid only hurts old people who are going to get it a dozen times before they're 40

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

open biden

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Clocks posted:

homeskillet i check in on this thread once every few days by clicking like 2 pages from the most recent page and reading forward and i swear you are there every time worrying about myocarditis as a side effect

as a fellow anxiety haver have you ever tried getting medicated. i'm not being facetious here, i used to be in fight-or-flight mode physically ALL THE TIME which was vicious cycling into giving me mental anxiety as well. i had the works, heart beating fast, feeling nauseous, chest pains, sweating, etc. for no reason that i could tell which would make me feel anxious, because if my body was reacting like this it means i DID have something to feel anxious about, right? and the fact i couldn't tell what i was anxious about would make me more anxious, rinse and repeat

turns out that like, i didn't have to live like this and i could turn down the anxiety and be anxious about normal people things like someone being in the hospital.

anyways, you will be fine with your booster. i know a couple people who legit had adverse effects to the vaccine but the good part about getting a vaccine instead of snorting horse paste is that you are on the look out for anything off and can get help if you need it. and anything that could happen longterm is not going to be as bad as ending up on a vent for covid or whatever.

Hey, thank you - I sincerely appreciate the thoughts and advice. If I can't get it under control I will definitely get some professional help. I know part of the reason this type of anxiety is so active is that I lost my dad to cancer not too long ago. He was fairly healthy for his age, then boom stage 4 cancer diagnosis. The ticking time bomb/something I don't see coming sort of anxiety comes from that, I'm sure. Sometimes, posting and fretting about it on this board is kind of helpful but I'm gonna let that anxiety go best I can :unsmith:
Thanks again

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Iron Crowned posted:

Just overheard the guy who was "out" say not only confirm that it was COVID, but that he barely avoided the vent, was unvaxxed and still doesn't believe in it

welp, he definitely doesn't believe in ADE then, so, let him enjoy that Natural Immunity until it triggers a re-infection and maybe he gets less lucky on the vent this time.

I'm getting my flu shot this morning and I am wearing my Left To Die / FDA Is A gently caress shirt, thanks Rubby :rubby:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I did an observation yesterday in a preschool where a kid just came back after being out due to covid19. The aide asked if he was supposed to be back. The teacher said he needed a doctors note. The aide checked his bag and said there was no note. The teacher called the administrator and asked if he needed a note and was told that he didn't. When I asked her how long he'd been out the teacher said they haven't seen him in a really long time. One of the other aides in the room was like "oh gently caress it I'm boosted" and took him for most of the day.

I am now in a zoom call discussing faculty deaths in another county and then I'm heading back out into plague world.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Lastgirl posted:

open biden

Google sez the civil war ran somewhere between 620,000 and 750,000 soldiers killed. I'm not good at math, but I think we can crack 750 by Christmas if we just don't do anything

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 7, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's the lowdown on Mulnop Murpl... pir that antiviral Campbell is raving about? Is it as promising as he seems to think?

Real Mean Queen posted:

Google sez the civil war ran somewhere between 620,000 and 750,000 soldiers killed. I'm not good at math, can we crack 750 by New Years?

You probably already did. :haw:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

UFOTacoMan posted:

https://twitter.com/pfizer/status/1446082946335715334?s=20

I'm sure this is old news already in this thread

No actually this is good and cool I didn’t expect application until later in the season

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Greg Legg posted:

I did an observation yesterday in a preschool where a kid just came back after being out due to covid19. The aide asked if he was supposed to be back. The teacher said he needed a doctors note. The aide checked his bag and said there was no note. The teacher called the administrator and asked if he needed a note and was told that he didn't. When I asked her how long he'd been out the teacher said they haven't seen him in a really long time. One of the other aides in the room was like "oh gently caress it I'm boosted" and took him for most of the day.

I am now in a zoom call discussing faculty deaths in another county and then I'm heading back out into plague world.

at our school you need a note if you want to come back to school after 3 days absence, unless you have had a positive covid case, in which case you don't need a note and just have to wait 10 days. obviously 10 days is magic and you stop being infectious at that point

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

Google sez the civil war ran somewhere between 620,000 and 750,000 soldiers killed. I'm not good at math, but I think we can crack 750 by Christmas if we just don't do anything

haven't we already surpassed 750k in excess deaths, even if not all of them are officially reported as COVID deaths? not to mention the ones where people die of a heart attack they otherwise wouldn't have due to full ICUs and such

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

What's the lowdown on Mulnop Murpl... pir that antiviral Campbell is raving about? Is it as promising as he seems to think?

Still pending approval which would be a FDA EUA.

Like other anti-virals it has the biggest benefits before severe symptoms kick in.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Soap Scum posted:

haven't we already surpassed 750k in excess deaths, even if not all of them are officially reported as COVID deaths? not to mention the ones where people die of a heart attack they otherwise wouldn't have due to full ICUs and such

Those people don't count, hth

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Real Mean Queen posted:

the count is under so we already cracked it and more is coming

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

if you think about it the 750k dead are not people anymore so why count them at all

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
biden better include in his bill a budget for more tiny white flags he has to plant rather than solve it by closing down capitalism for two weeks, in which time it will never recover and the myth of it evaporates overnight

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hi I'm from D&D and um..well actually the civil war killed a much larger PROPORTION of Americans per Capita so that is a fallacy to say covid is deadly

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

at our school you need a note if you want to come back to school after 3 days absence, unless you have had a positive covid case, in which case you don't need a note and just have to wait 10 days. obviously 10 days is magic and you stop being infectious at that point

hahaha wonderful

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

etalian posted:

Still pending approval which would be a FDA EUA.

Like other anti-virals it has the biggest benefits before severe symptoms kick in.

I gathered as much from the video, but if it delivers, will it be as much of a "game-changer" from the available data as he made it out to be?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Real Mean Queen posted:

Dead Southrons weren't Americans

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

I gathered as much from the video, but if it delivers, will it be as much of a "game-changer" from the available data as he made it out to be?

I'd say not at least in the US since most people only show up at the hospital for COV19 when they are on deaths door.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

etalian posted:

I'd say not at least in the US since most people only show up at the hospital for COV19 when they are on deaths door.

Yeah, it's also $700 a course, so lol.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Rich people still die of cancer. Covid is over if you're above a certain income level and don't have poo poo for brains.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, it's also $700 a course, so lol.

My parents still believe it's going to save us.

I'm just tired of little things that make no difference being trotted out in front as if it's what will save Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

It takes true commitment to beat your previous best, all my fellow patriots should feel proud.