Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I almost got hit by a car that didn't stop at a stop sign. I hate car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
im glad my accident totaled my car, i hate them and will never buy another

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

travel au jus?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

today this guy unexpectedly peeled out of his on-street parking spot without looking as i was riding along in the bike lane. if i had been even a bit distracted when he did that, i would be in the hospital right now. i don't know if he even saw me at any point during this event, just completely unaware of the person he almost maimed with his 3000-pound weapon.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

God Hole posted:

today this guy unexpectedly peeled out of his on-street parking spot without looking as i was riding along in the bike lane. if i had been even a bit distracted when he did that, i would be in the hospital right now. i don't know if he even saw me at any point during this event, just completely unaware of the person he almost maimed with his 3000-pound weapon.

just travel!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

God Hole posted:

sounds like you hsould get a 4000 lb shield to protect yourself

check out carvana

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
i read this whole thread in one sitting and then had a nap, and in my dream i was cycling and got so mad at cars i started gnashing my teeth, and they all fell out. thanks for reading and gently caress cars

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

if u find ur dream teeth in another dream, u can unlock a dream easter egg

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
There's a 95 integra in nice shape for a really good deal near me. I do not need a car... But I want a car.

God dangit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if this thread is good for anything it's convincing people to buy decades-old sports cars as a commuter/everyday vehicle

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

quote:

A citizens’ initiative calling for a ban on private car use in central Berlin would create the largest car-free urban area in the world.

The campaign group Berlin Autofrei has taken the first step in a process known as the people’s referendum, submitting a petition with more than 50,000 signatures calling for a ban covering the 88 sq km (34 sq mile) area circled by the “S-Bahn ring” trainline – an area roughly equal in size to all the boroughs in London’s zones 1 and 2.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/06/berlins-car-ban-campaign-its-about-how-we-want-to-live-breathe-and-play

:3:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

very hateful of those germans to hate the poor commuters and the 95 year old elderlys that need to drive 4000 lbs of plastic and steel to the pharmacy to pickup a gallon of milk

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

lol remember when cars gave every boomer brain damage due to lead poisoning

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Xaris posted:

very hateful of those germans to hate the poor commuters and the 95 year old elderlys that need to drive 4000 lbs of plastic and steel to the pharmacy to pickup a gallon of milk

lol when even the average goods vehicle in Singapore is under 3000 lbs unladen

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

:sickos:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wish it were more feasible to move somewhere like that.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
when birds poo poo on cars, people should take the hint and delete the car

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wish it were more feasible to move somewhere like that.

how do you even move there if you are in the US, do you need to have some special skill where an employer would hire you over someone German?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

actionjackson posted:

how do you even move there if you are in the US, do you need to have some special skill where an employer would hire you over someone German?
teach English

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You have to work out some kind of foothold that gets you in, and then it's easier to stay. You can't just propose emigration, because the country will laugh at you and hand you a tourist visa. Enrolling in university seems like the easiest option. Teaching English works in some places. Marrying a citizen is the background of most House Hunters International episodes. Or yeah, having a special skill that the country needs, but those lists are pretty particular, and you have to find an employer.

Some countries will let you buy a long-term resident visa, but it's really expensive. And they're often geared toward old people to extract their remaining wealth before they die.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

God Hole posted:

Bike lanes on streets where cars are turning left and right and parking are just a complete nightmare, there are so many ways to die. I cannot fathom why every neoliberal city planner insists on adding more of these death zones everywhere.

I got really good at looking through rear windshields and at mirrors, you can intuit people's actions most of the time as they glance or lean to the side before pulling a maneuver. But even if you are good at this you will still die.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

i say swears online posted:

if this thread is good for anything it's convincing people to buy decades-old sports cars as a commuter/everyday vehicle

I know what the heck is wrong with us. Sometimes I feel like a recovering caraholic. I don't drive a car anymore but the nostalgia is still there tempting.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ride your bike on the sidewalk. risk of getting pancaked on the road is too high and Americans don't walk anywhere anyway

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

or just build a network like this that lets you bypass roads

https://twitter.com/GlasgowCC/status/1445419804668710919

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pryor on Fire posted:

or just build a network like this that lets you bypass roads

https://twitter.com/GlasgowCC/status/1445419804668710919

i'm not super aware of how infrastructure projects work in scotland, but if this was a us city this would be unveiled and then 10 years later after construction crews were destroying everything the whole time you'll get a 1/2 size bike lane on 3 new roads and it cost $1 trillion

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

what we need are silt striders so we can ride instead of walk. They even make special trips, just for you. Same low price.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vomik posted:

i'm not super aware of how infrastructure projects work in scotland, but if this was a us city this would be unveiled and then 10 years later after construction crews were destroying everything the whole time you'll get a 1/2 size bike lane on 3 new roads and it cost $1 trillion

if it were canada, one mayor would announce it to great fanfare, the city council would spend $100 million working on it over four years but not quite finishing any of the improvements yet, then a new mayor would get elected and immediately cancel it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You have to work out some kind of foothold that gets you in, and then it's easier to stay. You can't just propose emigration, because the country will laugh at you and hand you a tourist visa. Enrolling in university seems like the easiest option. Teaching English works in some places. Marrying a citizen is the background of most House Hunters International episodes. Or yeah, having a special skill that the country needs, but those lists are pretty particular, and you have to find an employer.

Hmm I'm a biostatistician is that on a list? haha

with enrolling in a university, do you just do a semester and then drop out, and you are magically a citizen or what

https://www.germany.info/us-en/service/03-Citizenship/german-citizenship-obtain/919576

quote:

Since Jan. 1, 1970 the acquisition of German citizenship by marriage does not exist anymore. A foreign spouse can only naturalize if certain requirements are met.

Also I have a lot of German ancestry, but you can't claim that unless they came to the US after 1904 apparently

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Oct 7, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think it's more that you use your years in university to network and secure a job before graduation.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Pryor on Fire posted:

Bike lanes on streets where cars are turning left and right and parking are just a complete nightmare, there are so many ways to die. I cannot fathom why every neoliberal city planner insists on adding more of these death zones everywhere.

it allows them to say "we built 3000 miles of bike lanes :–)" and pat themselves on the back without actually doing anything or solving any problems

i'm pro bike lane when they're good, but do wonder how much safer sharrows are than... just... biking on the road and moving over when it's safe if a lot of cars want to pass

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Polo-Rican posted:

i'm pro bike lane when they're good, but do wonder how much safer sharrows are than... just... biking on the road and moving over when it's safe if a lot of cars want to pass

sharrows suck real bad

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/01...l%20protection.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I live where sharrows were invented and this is the first I'm hearing of them. That's what the arrows mean???!? :dafuq:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I live where sharrows were invented and this is the first I'm hearing of them. That's what the arrows mean???!? :dafuq:

there was a thing here a few years back where this woman was driving a car and taking a video of a cyclist in front of her at the same time while complaining about how the cyclist wasn't supposed to be there. she was just mad that he was temporarily preventing her from speeding i think, but in addition to everything else - her talking about how he deserved to get hit by a car, clearly holding the phone and operating it while driving, etc - he was literally biking over a sharrow while she was ranting.

the absolute best case scenario for a sharrow isn't that it can actually protect anyone from anything, but it might serve to educate drivers that cyclists are allowed to be there.. and yet it didn't do that. loving useless. anyone who proposes installing sharrows anywhere in a place where cyclists actually need protection deserves to be tarred and feathered

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dolphin posted:

ride your bike on the sidewalk. risk of getting pancaked on the road is too high and Americans don't walk anywhere anyway

i ride on the sidewalk most of the time i bike anywhere without a real multiuse trail and cars still manage to nearly run into me just at crosswalks

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
riding on sidewalks at any appreciable speed is insanely dangerous. Highly recommend to not do it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

riding on sidewalks at any appreciable speed is insanely dangerous. Highly recommend to not do it

yeah you could get hit by a drunk driver

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i recently moved away from an area next to a seven-mile bike path that leads to a giant empty park with a 1.6 mile blacktop loop, would do 25-30 miles twice a week and i loved it. my new place is physically much closer to the park but the main entrance/exit to my neighborhood has no sidewalks or bike lanes. i started running instead and now my left knee sucks

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

vyelkin posted:

if it were canada, one mayor would announce it to great fanfare, the city council would spend $100 million working on it over four years but not quite finishing any of the improvements yet, then a new mayor would get elected and immediately cancel it

i swear the majority of toronto's budget over the past couple decades has been devoted to funding infrastructure concept art. it took them ten years to build this gently caress-ugly pedestrian bridge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

there was a thing here a few years back where this woman was driving a car and taking a video of a cyclist in front of her at the same time while complaining about how the cyclist wasn't supposed to be there. she was just mad that he was temporarily preventing her from speeding i think, but in addition to everything else - her talking about how he deserved to get hit by a car, clearly holding the phone and operating it while driving, etc - he was literally biking over a sharrow while she was ranting.

the absolute best case scenario for a sharrow isn't that it can actually protect anyone from anything, but it might serve to educate drivers that cyclists are allowed to be there.. and yet it didn't do that. loving useless. anyone who proposes installing sharrows anywhere in a place where cyclists actually need protection deserves to be tarred and feathered

Sharrows are great because they are basically free to install and then you get to have a disingenuous sound-bite about how you installed 400,000miles of bike lanes or whatever.