Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gonzo McFee posted:

You've made a powerful enemy today, my friend.

No I haven't :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'll stop putting words in your mouth when they stop coming out of it.

Also if you reply to me by attacking a position you have heard a 'bunch of people' saying (but notably that I have not), and then start accusing everyone else of strawmanning, then it was a good point well made and you can indeed gently caress off.

Literally the only that even remotely could be read as minimising anything in the post you quoted is 'only a tiny minority died - numbers not really altogether worse than from other causes', which I agree was pretty badly worded. I was getting at the fact that proportionally, only a small percentage of infected people died, and there are lots of other diseases you can get with much worse odds. The issue with covid is how contagious it is. If it only spread at the rate your average seasonal virus does, it probably wouldn't have even made the news. The problem was the pressure on the health service, not the disease itself being exceptionally dangerous in individual cases.

The rest of sections you bolded I stand by 100% because they refer to now, not to last year. And with vaccines, covid is essentially neutered as a serious threat. The vast majority of deaths occurred before we had 90% vaccination, and I am not minimising how awful that was, but it is simply not the situation we are currently in. Yes, even with vaccination some people will get very unlucky, but you can say the same for literally anything.

Also ffs I've explicitly said that my initial post wasn't addressed to anyone ITT. If your idea of acceptable public health measures are 'encourage mask wearing, isolate when you're sick, try not to cough all over the milk in tescos etc etc' than we're not actually disagreeing about anything.

Spangly A posted:

If you get the idea that different things are different then stop trying to use slippery slopes and the spectre of ideology to criticise hypothetical vaccination policies fgs

I do know where you're coming from, I'm just very mindful of the ways the medical profession has historically been used as an arm of state power.

Also I think there's a pretty big distinction to be made between active intervention like mandatory vaccination and more passive legislation like mask/vaccine passport enforcement. I certainly don't have an issue with the latter in principle. There's something I hold very sacred about the right to bodily autonomy and the need to consent to anything anyone does to your physical being, which I find very difficult to just suspend out of pragmatism. Ideally we'd get round this with the carrot rather than the stick, lots of education, give people a little inventive to get vaccinated, the rest of it.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Restricting bodily autonomy is poo poo, its why I can't get an abortion when I want. Which absolutely sucks.

Legally restricting a persons right to choose what happens with their own body is extremely sketchy, esp when it comes to medical procedures. I'm very much pro covid vaccine but making it mandatory is just a bad move.

I'm a dirt bag authoritarian and even I'm like "loving steady on"

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also we've got over 90% uptake anyways, almost everyone who is eligible has got their shots. It's not like we're the US where half the country is refusing them out of spite, in which the balance of state coersion vs public health might be worth discussing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

67%. Not everyone has had their second shot yet, and we aren't yet vaccinating everyone who can transmit covid.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

67%. Not everyone has had their second shot yet, and we aren't yet vaccinating everyone who can transmit covid.

Much higher. They recently updated the covid dashboard so that vaccination data reflects all people 12+. We're on about 85% first doses and just under 80% second, and obviously much much higher than that in vulnerable populations.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's still 67% of people who can transmit covid. Obviously I'm not expecting a 100% vaccination rate or anything close, but I'm sure with effort we can push it to 80%, around where they decided herd immunity would take effect (and as such is presumably where we ideally want the vaccination rate to be).

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
What would state coercion to force people to have a vaccine be like though? Would there be a prison sentence or fines if you dont get it? Would you go soft power and let them choose to starve by excluding non vaccinated people from work?

Additionally would there be exceptions to this rule like if you have a justifying medical condition/allergy? What would count as justified?

Nah, that aint it. If you want people to get vaccinated and take public health seirously you don't need to force them to do anything. The argument would be for-

Individuals need to feel part of a whole worth protecting (which is the complete opposite of the dominant politcal ideology of neoliberalism)

Science education needs to improve specifically and education needs to encourage critical engagement rather than compliance.

That is in an ideal world. Right now IRL to legitimise the current state we have by allowing them to force vaccines and give a legal mandate to further disregard bodily autonomy just doesn't sit right imo.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

thrashingteeth posted:

What would state coercion to force people to have a vaccine be like though?

We do have a lot of uninhabited islands.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/hopenothate/status/1446107513372372999

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's still 67% of people who can transmit covid. Obviously I'm not expecting a 100% vaccination rate or anything close, but I'm sure with effort we can push it to 80%, around where they decided herd immunity would take effect (and as such is presumably where we ideally want the vaccination rate to be).

if a person who doesn't get harmed by covid transmits to another person who is not harmed, and those who could be harmed are vaccinated, what's the issue?

Point of covid being endemic is that tranmission doesn't matter, harm does. And thanks to vaccination, harm is low.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nothingtoseehere posted:

if a person who doesn't get harmed by covid transmits to another person who is not harmed, and those who could be harmed are vaccinated, what's the issue?

And who else do those infected people come into contact with and infect? How many shop workers, transport workers or random passers by do they infect, and those new people infected, who do they then infect and carry on the chain? How many of those might be vulnerable, or have friends or relatives that they come into contact with who are vulnerable?....

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

fuctifino posted:

And who else do those infected people come into contact with and infect? How many shop workers, transport workers or random passers by do they infect, and those new people infected, who do they then infect and carry on the chain? How many of those might be vulnerable, or have friends or relatives that they come into contact with who are vulnerable?....

About 1, at the moment. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Unbelievable:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/afghan-asylum-deportation-guidance-afghanistan-home-office-b1933921.html

quote:

Deporting asylum seekers back to Afghanistan presents no ‘real risk of harm’, says new Home Office guidance
Afghans must demonstrate ‘specific reasons’ to avoid threat of removal, say newly-updated documents

Deporting asylum seekers back to Afghanistan presents “no real risk of harm”, according to new Home Office guidance that could pave the way for some to be sent back to the Taliban-controlled country.

Updated guidance states that, in order to be granted protection in the UK, Afghan asylum seekers must be able to show that there are “specific reasons over and above simply being a civilian for being affected by the indiscriminate violence”.

It comes only weeks after Britain staged a huge military operation to rescue thousands from Kabul as the country fell under the control of militants.

etc

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

fuctifino posted:

If they're vaccinated they're not really classified as vulnerable anymore though, surely?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

That's not how 2FA works these days. Instead of a security question they send a token containing a code to an app. The app tells you it's received a token, and asks if you requested it. If you did you enter the code into the site and proceed; if you didn't you don't, and you are warned of an attempted intrusion. The company itself doesn't get any info that you haven't probably given them already when you created your account.

Thanks for setting me straight on that. :tipshat: :)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The 100+ a day who die of covid were pretty vulnerable

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

If they're vaccinated they're not really classified as vulnerable anymore though, surely?

Well yes, because the most vulnerable who got their 1st & 2nd vaccinations earlier than most are now starting to get booster vaccinations presumably because protection is wearing off.
One of the reasons I am being so careful is because most of my neighbours are in their 80s and had their vaccinations back in Jan/Feb/Mar.
I'll be due a booster in December.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/covid-booster-vaccine

quote:

Who will get a Covid-19 booster vaccine?
Everyone over 50 or who has a health condition that puts them at higher risk from Covid-19 will be offered a booster.

When will I get a booster vaccine?
If you are eligible, you'll be invited to get a booster vaccine when it is your turn, and at least six months after your second dose. The booster programme started on September 16 and is likely to last at least throughout the autumn.

Boosters will be given in the same order of priority as for the initial vaccine, as follows:

Care home residents and staff
People aged 80 and over, and frontline health and social care workers
People aged 75 and over
People aged 70 and over, and adults who are clinically extremely vulnerable
People aged 65 and over
Adults who are at higher risk from Covid-19, including people with heart and circulatory conditions
People aged 60 and over
People aged 55 and over
People aged 50 and over

Why might I need a booster vaccine?
The booster vaccines are being recommended in order to give longer-lasting protection. We still don’t know how long protection from the Covid-19 vaccines lasts, but there is some evidence, particularly in the case of the Pfizer vaccine, that it declines over time and has started to decline within six months from the second dose. Because the vaccine has not yet been available for long enough, there are no large studies of effectiveness beyond six months from the second dose.

So a booster dose will help to ensure those at higher risk from coronavirus, who were prioritised at the start of the vaccine programme, have enough protection going into winter.

We know that as coronavirus spreads and mutates, it can start to resist vaccines. A booster programme could offer extra protection against variants that have resistance to existing vaccines.

etc

What about people who have a weakened immune response?
The JCVI and UK government have recommended that everyone over 12 with a severely weakened immune system is offered a third dose of the Covid-19 vaccine, which is separate from the booster programme.

A third dose is being offered to up to 500,000 people in the UK whose immune systems do not work properly or who are taking immune suppressant medication - including people who have had a heart transplant or are on certain types of steroid medication. The NHS is contacting people who are eligible for a third dose of the vaccine to arrange an appointment as soon as possible, if they haven't already had their third dose.

The JCVI have said that this recommendation is an update to the standard dosing schedule for people in this at-risk group, and that they will also be offered a booster vaccine, at a later date.

The recommendation follows early findings from research carried out by the University of Glasgow, showing that 40% of people who are immunosuppressed or immunocompromised do not have a strong enough immune response after two doses of the vaccine.

And just to say what I mentioned a day or so ago, both of my work colleagues (healthy women in their 40s with teenage kids and elderly parents) have both had double vaccinations yet have both caught covid subsequently because they are continually being reinfected by their kids who are being reinfected by school chums and some parents are not exactly telling the truth as whether their kids are ok or not. (Eg one of the women, her son had a text from his friend with friend saying he felt very unwell, while his mother was simultaneously telling my colleague that her son was fine - they do lift shares to some after school activities).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 7, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Weird how the stats about the vaccination status of covid deaths stopped being updated in mid-July when the daily deaths started ramping up again :crossarms:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gort posted:

The 100+ a day who die of covid were pretty vulnerable

Those are now acceptable numbers, even for some in this thread now... apparently... and sadly... :(

The Tories were right.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

keep punching joe posted:

We do have a lot of uninhabited islands.

Ahhh deportation is good actually.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's fine, there were already ways to die, so it's acceptable to add additional ways to die, because you already had a chance to die

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Those are now acceptable numbers, even for some in this thread now... apparently... and sadly... :(

The Tories were right.

Fwiw I don't have exact stats but I do know a few people who work in hospitals and NHS management and their take is that the vast majority of the people dying at the moment are dumbass antivaxxers who refused the shots when they were offered months ago. Nothing really verifiable though so take it with a pinch of salt I guess.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

fuctifino posted:

The Tories were right.

Yes, I am happy for 100 old boomers to die of covid after they refused vaccines rather than put a stop on normal life so they can live long enough to toddle over the to ballot box and vote for Boris one last time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

The Tories were right.

It's not a question of them being right. People will always die in a pandemic, try as we might, and while the Tories are responsible for the great majority of those deaths through their greed, negligence, incompetence and intransigence they cannot fairly be held responsible for all of them. Yes, we can point at South Korea's exceptionally low death rate, but British people are not South Korean. The media have poisoned too many minds for us to react the same way; through Brexit they have taught stupid people that following their own self-destructive impulses and prejudices is sensible, right and good.

So, yeah. If we'd averaged 100 deaths a day for the last 18 months I'd say we were doing fairly well. It's still too many, but it's not a number I can blame the government for. We'd have had that level of loss of life even if Corbyn had won in 2019 and had the PLP fully on board.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can some of the healthcare workers in this thread maybe start surveying their dying patients on their political views so we can better determine whether covid deaths are good actually or not?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yes, I am happy for 100 old boomers to die of covid after they refused vaccines rather than put a stop on normal life so they can live long enough to toddle over the to ballot box and vote for Boris one last time.

There is no data from the past three months (the most recent wave of deaths) that supports this.

blunt fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 7, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nothingtoseehere posted:

A double vaccinated friend of mine died of covid not so long ago. He was 4 years younger than me.

Go gently caress yourself.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A 15 year old girl died of Covid last week. If the government hadn't dithered over authorising vaccinations to 12-18 year olds chances are that she probably would have been vaccinated, and wouldn't have died. I doubt she'll be the only kid that dies either, it isn't just old boomer anti-vaxers that make up that bodycount.

So maybe an individuals right to bodily autonomy over vaccination shouldn't trump everyone else's right to have a decreased chance of catching/dying from Covid. And maybe if you don't want to get a vaccine for whatever reason, you shouldn't be allowed to enter shops, classrooms, public transport etc.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

fuctifino posted:

A double vaccinated friend of mine died of covid not so long ago. He was 4 years younger than me.

Go gently caress yourself.

Sorry for your loss, but in a country of millions, with 10000 deaths a week in normal times, stories of individuals are not important, no matter how strongly they make you feel

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

keep punching joe posted:

So maybe an individuals right to bodily autonomy over vaccination shouldn't trump everyone else's right to have a decreased chance of catching/dying from Covid. And maybe if you don't want to get a vaccine for whatever reason, you shouldn't be allowed to enter shops, classrooms, public transport etc.

Ahh okay so the freedom to starve by being banned from public life is good actually.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Can some of the healthcare workers in this thread maybe start surveying their dying patients on their political views so we can better determine whether covid deaths are good actually or not?

Most of the children I work with can barely tell me what they had for breakfast/lunch, but I'll give it a go.
Do you have any visuals I can use for this conversation, or should I create my own?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sorry for your loss, but in a country of millions, with 10000 deaths a week in normal times, stories of individuals are not important, no matter how strongly they make you feel

Really hoping this is a quote from some shithead tory and not something you actually said.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm glad my booster is coming soon, it makes this plague island inhabitable for me, for another 6 months I guess.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

thrashingteeth posted:

Ahh okay so the freedom to starve by being banned from public life is good actually.

There's a thing these days called home delivery, or they could always get a vaccinated.

Perhaps we just do a calculation on the number of antivaxers who will starve from not being allowed in Asda vs the number of people who don't die from getting a preventable disease.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'm glad my booster is coming soon, it makes this plague island inhabitable for me, for another 6 months I guess.

Cool photo, what was the Tory conference like?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's weird knowing millions of my "countrymen" would consider my death to just be inevitable noise in the statistics. I actually prefer they'd specifically hate me and want me dead. Or at least know I existed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

How to get threadbanned in one easy step.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How to get threadbanned in one easy step.

I didn't realize understanding basic statistics was bannable now. If you want to pretend you matter to more than a few hundred people in a country of millions, can I recommend your ego a career in media? We are all numbers in a spreadsheet at the end of a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I didn't realize understanding basic statistics was bannable now. If you want to pretend you matter to more than a few hundred people in a country of millions, can I recommend your ego a career in media? We are all numbers in a spreadsheet at the end of a day.

hey data gently caress off back to the enterprise