Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Lies
Jun 19, 2021

Seeing people come out of the woodworks to rush to the defense of Assange and Wikileaks is incredibly funny.

Next we're gonna be told that Assange didn't actually rape anyone, and that it was a CIA smear campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nothing in there says they published specifically incorrect things. At best you've give some evidence that they might have potentially been targeted with some propaganda but you made a much stronger claim that you're now walking back.

There's not really a question of whether Assange is a rapist prick with an agenda. He is. But that isn't the claim you've been asked to support.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Corky Romanovsky posted:

The next post will downgrade the qualifier to "potentially". Stop the gishgallop and cite the false documents.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/05/26/russian-dnc-hackers-planted-leaks-with-fake-data/?sh=6c10f98b52ff

quote:

Citizen Lab started their probe with a "patient zero": David Satter, a prominent journalist and Kremlin critic. On October 7th 2016, Satter was targeted by a self-proclaimed pro-Russian hacktivist group known as Cyber Berkut, which pilfered his emails in much the same way as Fancy Bear compromised Hillary Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta. They sent phishing emails that appeared to come from Google asking Satter to change his password, but as soon as he visited the link included in the faked message and entered his login details, his account was effectively in the hands of the hackers.

Those emails were then "selectively modified" by Cyber Berkut before being published online, Citizen Lab wrote in its report released Thursday. Those "tainted leaks" contained both real and faked communications. Amongst the tampered-with messages was a report sent by Satter to the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a U.S. non-profit promoting democracy across the world. It was altered in such a way as to make it appear Satter was paying Russian journalists to write articles damning of the Russian regime.

The real report focused on the work of Radio Liberty, a U.S.-government sponsored station that broadcasts news into Russia. But the surreptitious edits removed mentions of Radio Liberty, replacing them with general statements to make it appear Satter was supporting a larger operation, while adding articles from other sources that were never in the original document. Crucially, amongst the added articles were some penned by or including Alexei Navalny, a prominent Russian anti-corruption activist and opposition, focusing on corruption. "By repeatedly adding his reporting to the document, the tainting creates the appearance of 'foreign' funding for his work," Citizen Lab wrote.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Not even Hillary Clinton went so far as to say the leaks were faked during the Trump-Clinton, using noncommittal language like, "And we don't even know if the information in these leaks were real," instead of committing to them being fake or not, seeding doubt without going on the record disproving them, so interesting how we now have takes that go further than the targets of the leak herself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Probably Magic posted:

Not even Hillary Clinton went so far as to say the leaks were faked during the Trump-Clinton, using noncommittal language like, "And we don't even know if the information in these leaks were real," instead of committing to them being fake or not, seeding doubt without going on the record disproving them, so interesting how we now have takes that go further than the targets of the leak herself.

That wasn't what I was saying? I was saying that portions could have been faked to make them more incriminating than they were.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

But it ends up being the same level of "innuendo without saying anything." If it can be proven these Cyber Berkut lied, it should be able to be replicated and say Fancy Bear lied too, which would be a more direct accusation. Instead, we get a lot of text about how Cyber Berkut and Fancy Bear may have extracted information in similar ways and similar websites, which is bunch of innuendo without just saying, concretely, "And here's an example of Fancy Bear lying." It's just a bunch of "you can connect the dots," the same way Hillary was doing, but after watching entire wars started on the premise of connect the dots that ended up false, no, show me the money.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Probably Magic posted:

If the leak really had a mix of true and falsified information, going line-by-line to point out the fake parts would have been a legendary unforced error even for a Clinton campaign. Not saying that proves it or anything either, just like no poo poo they didn't point out specific allegations as false, doing so could only hurt them and they had absolutely zero reason to. Especially when so much of it was long lists of individually not-particularly-damning insinuations, so it's not like there were a few nails that needed to be hammered down hard.

Though on the actual media analysis side a lot of the reporting on those leaks was a great learning experience. I remember how a friend was sharing "Top ten bombshells!" articles where there was some amazing telephone games from the actual leaked email conversation to select lines being promoted out of context to heavily editorialized articles about those lines to headlines that even misrepresent the articles themselves. Like one, I forget if it was Clinton or DNC-related leakage, was even a "This guy with a toxic reputation wants to meet up and donate, how do we tell him to piss off" conversation and it got articles about how they were chumming up with him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Probably Magic posted:

But it ends up being the same level of "innuendo without saying anything." If it can be proven these Cyber Berkut lied, it should be able to be replicated and say Fancy Bear lied too, which would be a more direct accusation. Instead, we get a lot of text about how Cyber Berkut and Fancy Bear may have extracted information in similar ways and similar websites, which is bunch of innuendo without just saying, concretely, "And here's an example of Fancy Bear lying." It's just a bunch of "you can connect the dots," the same way Hillary was doing, but after watching entire wars started on the premise of connect the dots that ended up false, no, show me the money.

The problem is, as you well know, that the leaks were largely used to grab snippets that could be drummed up to be worse that they sounded by being taken out of context. And Assange knew that would be done. Don't exactly know what we're defending here, its not Hillary Clinton for sure, but the idea that Assange is useful as a a source of info past maybe the Afghanistan leaks when it became clear he was going to use the media provided as his personal tools, maybe we should've been more skeptical of his end goals.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is, as you well know, that the leaks were largely used to grab snippets that could be drummed up to be worse that they sounded by being taken out of context. And Assange knew that would be done. Don't exactly know what we're defending here, its not Hillary Clinton for sure, but the idea that Assange is useful as a a source of info past maybe the Afghanistan leaks when it became clear he was going to use the media provided as his personal tools, maybe we should've been more skeptical of his end goals.

Your position is that there was nothing “useful” in the DNC/State Department leaks?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Kingfish posted:

Your position is that there was nothing “useful” in the DNC/State Department leaks?

Nope, that's not what I said.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Well what exactly are you saying then? How is Assange/Wikileaks not a useful source of information post-Afghanistan Papers if there is still useful information coming out of Wikileaks?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

This article is about alleged falsifications by a group they call Cyber Berkut. The purported doctored documents being hosted on Cyber Berkut's website. You alleged WikiLeaks published fake or edited documents, and you still have not proven this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Kingfish posted:

Well what exactly are you saying then? How is Assange/Wikileaks not a useful source of information post-Afghanistan Papers if there is still useful information coming out of Wikileaks?

Past that point its broken clock whether the data is good or not. The question, is Wikileaks out to provide raw information or does Assange's personal agenda get in the way? Given that Assange went full accelerationist in arguing defeating Clinton and ensuring Trump gained an upper hand in the election, would you argue that he is an unbiased source of information? (Worth noting I'm not arguing Clinton was a good candidate, only whether Assange has personal reasons to ensure she failed).

quote:

Several Republicans who had once been highly critical of WikiLeaks and Julian Assange began to speak fondly of him after WikiLeaks published the DNC leaks and started to regularly criticise Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party.[414][415] Having called WikiLeaks "disgraceful" in 2010, President-Elect Donald Trump praised WikiLeaks in October 2016, saying, "I love WikiLeaks."[416][417] In 2019, Trump said "I know nothing about WikiLeaks. It’s not my thing."[418] Newt Gingrich, who called for Assange to be "treated as an enemy combatant" in 2010, praised him as a "down to Earth, straight forward interviewee" in 2017.[414] Sean Hannity, who had in 2010 said that Assange waged a "war" on the United States, praised him in 2016 for showing "how corrupt, dishonest and phony our government is".[415] Sarah Palin, who had in 2010 described Assange as an "anti-American operative with blood on his hands", praised Assange in 2017.[419]

quote:

Assange has a habit of releasing documents that had actual legitimate reasons for being concealed—and, in doing so, endangered groups of already-vulnerable people in the name of "transparency":

For some unknowable reason, he decided to release a document containing highly sensitive information on the last Jews living in Baghdad, where they are living in perpetual fear for their lives.
After a Turkish writer called them out for dumping private conversations of Turkish citizens, WL called her a "Erdogan apologist" and said that she was fabricating her story.[67]
Assange has proposed using WikiLeaks to track down and "verify" the home address, family members, and banking information of Twitter users—to authenticate them. What better way to hand power to the people than by doxing your enemies?[68]
WikiLeaks accused Snowden of trying to curry favors from Clinton when Snowden criticized them for not sanitizing their leaks.[69] During an interview on Real Time, Assange's response was, "Edward Snowden hasn’t published anything in three years. He did one thing. It was a very important thing, and it was in fact so important that I and this organization saved his rear end by rescuing him from Hong Kong...I think he should remember that."[70] So he needs to be your submissive lackey? (Assange also accused Bill Maher of donating a million dollars to HRC's campaign on live television, and had to walk it back because he made it up on the spot.)

Is this really the guy you want to argue is some unbiased source of info that can be safely taken without context?
Oh man, remember when David Duke praised him for the DNC leaks? Good times. The problem is that Assange, while a provider of useful info, also has used it as a tit-for-tat arrangement to get things he wants, and withheld some info while dumping info that looked suspicious given its timing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 7, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Wikileaks implications that Podesta was getting freaky with jizz, blood and breastmilk probably aren't accurate, but also it may be appropriate to conceptually separate WL twitter from WL proper.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

What does someone's motivations have to do with the efficacy of their work? This is like pointing out Carl Bernstein's parents were communists, it feels like a serious red herring. So too is the David Duke thing, especially in light of Richard Spencer's endorsement of Joe Biden. Who cares who conservatives endorse? If you can't prove that someone is lying, then inferring they're lying with just, "Well, he took it personally," is... a very dangerous road, the exact avenue states always use to discredit credible whistleblowers. Whether Assange is entirely a credible whistleblower should be what's under argument, not whether he was saintly objective in his motivations.

You're basically saying "good information doesn't matter" because you don't like who's sending it. That... seems the opposite of an analytical and critical view.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Past that point its broken clock whether the data is good or not. The question, is Wikileaks out to provide raw information or does Assange's personal agenda get in the way? Given that Assange went full accelerationist in arguing defeating Clinton and ensuring Trump gained an upper hand in the election, would you argue that he is an unbiased source of information? (Worth noting I'm not arguing Clinton was a good candidate, only whether Assange has personal reasons to ensure she failed).

Is this really the guy you want to argue is some unbiased source of info that can be safely taken without context?
Oh man, remember when David Duke praised him for the DNC leaks? Good times. The problem is that Assange, while a provider of useful info, also has used it as a tit-for-tat arrangement to get things he wants, and withheld some info while dumping info that looked suspicious given its timing.

This is the Media Analysis and Criticism thread. I’m not going to argue anybody is an unbiased source of info that can be safely taken without context. Would you?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Kingfish posted:

This is the Media Analysis and Criticism thread. I’m not going to argue anybody is an unbiased source of info that can be safely taken without context. Would you?

This is a fair point.

piL posted:

Wikileaks implications that Podesta was getting freaky with jizz, blood and breastmilk probably aren't accurate, but also it may be appropriate to conceptually separate WL twitter from WL proper.

Oh yeah, I remember that.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Assange is a tough person to analyze objectively because on the one hand, his personal beliefs and personal conduct do him no favors, but at the same time, we have to be aware of the motivations of those attacking him, many who are not interested in "truthtelling" of any sort and do not want Assange discredited just as a person or even partially but want him discredited entirely because he succeeded in embarrassing a powerful, imperialist country that fantasized about assassinating him fairly recently. All this, "Well, he worked with the Russians, and we can't trust the Russians," seems, to me at least, to be ignoring the biases of American media who have deep, extensive ties with the American military industrial complex and therefore have an intense investment in discrediting Assange entirely. Where does an objective view of Assange begin and end? When I see a lot of handwringing about Russian influence but then just shrugging about the possible American influence on reporting of Assange, it just makes me wonder... was there this same amount of concern about Israel's obvious hacking of Iran power plants? Why not? That's not a whataboutism, it's pointing out that complaining about Assange being a weapon of Russia when the very people attacking him very possibly are weapons of America feels disingenuous. What matters should be if there is truth to these leaks, any truth at all, and what that means.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Nah, we already spent several pages shutting down this sort of self-serving equivocation. It is, in fact, a whataboutism, and it's a nonsensical one at that. Known misinformation as a product of a foreign power's intelligence apparatus is not the equivalent of the "American media," that you are just...asserting is ambiguously categorically biased by the military industrial complex.

From the OP:

quote:

A core issue with many people’s approach to media literacy is they think of it as finding a single, true lens through which to understand information and the world- a rule or worldview or rubric that they can use to decide what sources are good or bad. This is often couched in the language of universal skepticism, or seeing through the “mainstream media.” “I’m skeptical of every source” and "all media is biased" is bullshit. No one can be skeptical of every source equally, and all too often it means rejecting good sources that are just communicating challenging or unappealing information. Taking these positions actually makes a person even more vulnerable to disinformation, because disinfo campaigns actively target such individuals and prey upon their biases. The Intercept article I cited above OANN will both tell you- they will give you the stories no one else will.

Similarly, a single theory (including, or even especially, “crit” theories that provide an overarching narrative telling you what sources are good or bad) will instead steer you toward messages that appeal to you for all the wrong reasons. There’s a reason these posts are a bunch of material pulled from different sources- a toolkit will make you much more intellectually versatile than a single mythological correct way to understand media.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

Nah, we already spent several pages shutting down this sort of self-serving equivocation. It is, in fact, a whataboutism, and it's a nonsensical one at that. Known misinformation as a product of a foreign power's intelligence apparatus is not the equivalent of the "American media," that you are just...asserting is ambiguously categorically biased by the military industrial complex.

From the OP:

In Probably Magic's defense, they appear to have started participating in this thread only today.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

From the OP:

Pointing out that the people attacking him are at best massively disingenuous, if not having “outright bad motivations, is not a whataboutism.

Why should anyone trust Wikileaks “critics” who have their own obvious motivations , in part by trying to make it all about Assange while ignoring how the case against him is collapsing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nucleic Acids posted:

Why should anyone trust Wikileaks “critics” who have their own obvious motivations , in part by trying to make it all about Assange while ignoring how the case against him is collapsing?

Why is the case collapsing? Oh, that's right: Because he ran out the clock by seeking asylum. He's still pretty much a creep and a rapist.

quote:

In March 2015, after public criticism from other Swedish law practitioners, Ny changed her mind about interrogating Assange, who had taken refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.[187] These interviews, which began on 14 November 2016, involved the British police, Swedish prosecutors and Ecuadorian officials, and were eventually published online.[188] By that time, the statute of limitations had expired on all three of the less serious allegations. Since the Swedish prosecutor had not interviewed Assange by 18 August 2015, the questioning pertained only to the open investigation of "lesser degree rape".[189][190][181][191]

On 19 May 2017, the Swedish authorities suspended their investigation, saying they could not expect the Ecuadorian Embassy to communicate reliably with Assange with respect to the case. Chief prosecutor Marianne Ny officially revoked his arrest warrant, but said the investigation could still be resumed if Assange visited Sweden before August 2020.[192][193][194]

Following Assange's arrest on 11 April 2019, the case was reopened, in May 2019, under prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson.[195] On 19 November, she announced that she had discontinued her investigation, saying that the evidence was not strong enough. She added that although she was confident in the complainant, "the evidence has weakened considerably due to the long period of time that has elapsed"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 7, 2021

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

From the OP:

I've never argued there's a single true lens, case in point why I said it's hard to judge Assange because he himself sucks as a person. But you saying that the American media is not biased towards the military industrial complex just ignores history likes Operation Mockingbird but also just ignores the really obvious evidence of so many contributors to American media being, well, military people. The American media has been arguing for wars since at the Spanish-American War, this should be a neutral take at best. We just had a president who would get nonstop negative coverage that only took a break when he would drone strike Syria, at which point he "finally became president." The New York Times got us into Iraq, for god's sakes. When Facebook initially set up its fact checkers, they made sure to add the Weekly Standard to otherwise reputable agencies like Reuters and AP because it was so important for a war propagandist like Bill Kristol to have a say in sifting through information. Denying the relationship between the military and the American media makes all this handwringing about Russian influence absolutely dead. You're not doing media criticism, you're doing xenophobia.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

You're not doing media criticism, you're doing xenophobia.

And that's an absolutely massive leap to take. Criticism of the United States is not seen as being anti-American (unless you're Republican but they're not relevant here), much the same as criticism of Russia is not being racist against Russians nor xenophobia.

The point of a bad source putting out correct information is because if they only put out incorrect information, they'd be an easily falsifiable source. The whole point is to put a vast majority of correct stuff with some extra bits that help to push their readers towards the desired endpoint. They're all long cons at that point, much like right wing media has been in the US.

If you (the messenger) take a trove of hacked information from the hacker, you're putting your faith that everything the hacker gave you is pure and untouched. But, I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of people who are messengers are incapable of understanding how someone could subtly modify things in order to further their agenda. If the hacker is an unreliable source or has an obvious political aim, the messenger need simply be ignorant and attention seeking in order to push the modified material out. If the messenger is similarly unreliable and or has a political aim, the hacker may even coordinate in some way with the messenger rather than simply dropping information in their lap.

Assange is a crappy person all by himself (that poor cat), but getting his source material basically from Russian Intelligence Services means that you can have two points where there could be gross levels of information modification in order to launder completely false statements into black market facts. That Assange provided correct information in some places does not make the rest of the information valuable or good, and given how it's basically turned into a HIM show with Wikileaks falling so far should suggest that Assange is an unreliable or easily manipulated mediator at best if not outright attempting to fabricate information himself.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Assange belongs to that class of internet-savvy journalist adjacent dude from the mid-aughts who was right about one (1) thing - the horror show that is the post 9-11 surveillance state - and thought that meant they were right about everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Probably Magic posted:

I've never argued there's a single true lens, case in point why I said it's hard to judge Assange because he himself sucks as a person. But you saying that the American media is not biased towards the military industrial complex just ignores history likes Operation Mockingbird but also just ignores the really obvious evidence of so many contributors to American media being, well, military people. The American media has been arguing for wars since at the Spanish-American War, this should be a neutral take at best. We just had a president who would get nonstop negative coverage that only took a break when he would drone strike Syria, at which point he "finally became president." The New York Times got us into Iraq, for god's sakes. When Facebook initially set up its fact checkers, they made sure to add the Weekly Standard to otherwise reputable agencies like Reuters and AP because it was so important for a war propagandist like Bill Kristol to have a say in sifting through information. Denying the relationship between the military and the American media makes all this handwringing about Russian influence absolutely dead. You're not doing media criticism, you're doing xenophobia.

And the media has only stopped Biden's honeymoon after he withdrew from Afghanistan. It's been comically obvious.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

And that's an absolutely massive leap to take. Criticism of the United States is not seen as being anti-American (unless you're Republican but they're not relevant here), much the same as criticism of Russia is not being racist against Russians nor xenophobia.

The point of a bad source putting out correct information is because if they only put out incorrect information, they'd be an easily falsifiable source. The whole point is to put a vast majority of correct stuff with some extra bits that help to push their readers towards the desired endpoint. They're all long cons at that point, much like right wing media has been in the US.

Regarding the first paragraph, that wasn't my point, but rather, Discendo Vox saying we need to be wary of Russian influence but not American influence is, well, pretty myopic at the very least. Dismissing the military influence on the American media seems like an amateur take. As for the second paragraph, if you think that's something only the right-wing media does, I have very bad news for you.

For the rest, there's good points, but context can go both ways - how often is a gaffe defended as "bad context" when no context could possibly improve it? For me, it's a question of, is it the Assange show because of Assange or because Western media wants it to be about Assange? The answer, I think sadly, is both, but making much ado about the former and not the latter is, I think, a mistake because I think there will be a clear messaging path from casting doubt on the election leaks to eventually stretching that to casting doubt on the war leaks. So I am leery of doing so, even though the likelihood of Assange getting addicted to celebrity and making up leaks to keep his image prominent also exists. I need more evidence than personal attacks and innuendo. Just throwing out "this is what Russia wants you to know" ignores we have a faucet of what America wants you to know 24/7. Ideally we have a spectrum of biased info from RT, American media, NHK, Chinese media, Al Jazeera, etc., and sift from there instead of acting like Russian media is uniquely untrustworthy compared to the rest of the world.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Probably Magic posted:

Discendo Vox saying we need to be wary of Russian influence but not American influence is,

He hasn't actually said this anywhere except in your imagination.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He hasn't actually said this anywhere except in your imagination.

Saying the media is not biased by the military-industrial complex is, in fact, saying that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HelloSailorSign posted:

Assange is a crappy person all by himself (that poor cat), but getting his source material basically from Russian Intelligence Services means that you can have two points where there could be gross levels of information modification in order to launder completely false statements into black market facts. That Assange provided correct information in some places does not make the rest of the information valuable or good, and given how it's basically turned into a HIM show with Wikileaks falling so far should suggest that Assange is an unreliable or easily manipulated mediator at best if not outright attempting to fabricate information himself.

Let's be honest here: Nobody should trust anything sourced by ANYBODYS Intelligence services, be it CIA, FSB, etc. But the problem remains that there was plenty of circumstantial evidence that Assange was benefitting from the FSBs leaks, and was using it for his own goals, not some transparent leak for the benefit of the media and the world et large.

Why is it suddenly credible? Especially since most of the reporting around the DNC leaks was about taking anything and everything out of context to make it even more damning. The FSB didn't conduct these leaks out of the goodness of their hearts or to bring some sort of justice, they did it with a malicious intent to enact the goals of Putin. Is that not Media Bias?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 7, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Probably Magic posted:

Saying the media is not biased by the military-industrial complex is, in fact, saying that.

No, no it isn't. Like, it really isn't.

Just for a start Discendo has never claimed you shouldn't ever be skeptical of American media. His whole point is that there's more to media analysis than your mantra that if we don't mouth the proper obsequies about the military-industrial complex we're obviously facile dupes or whatever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"The media" or "American media" is not a meaningful or effective way of classifying sources of bias or understanding how media works.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Are we talking Real American Media (tm) here, American Mainstream Media (:freep:) or Jacobin (which is based in New York)?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think the contention here is that people don't want to believe that they are susceptible to media manipulation or their own biases. If you believe that inherently anything the US does is not trustworthy than a source saying yep, here is something to prove your point means you are more likely to believe it. That's what happened in 2016. Wikileaks had a lot of goodwill in certain circles because of the information they were leaking. They go against American hegemony and orthodoxy, they are to be believed and trusted.

Assange cast his lot with the Alex Jones and Trump types in 2016 but he "believes" the same things you do. Hilary Clinton bad, US bad, therefore Assange has no reason to lie or influence the election. It conforms to your belief system, you'd never be vulnerable to that type of manipulation, so your bias creeps in and you find ways to defend it. We see it with conservatives all the time but we as humans have the same bias issues.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's baffling that people have so much trouble with the idea that Assange's/Wikileaks's trustworthiness is orthogonal to that of the "American media" (which as noted by Discendo is a horrible and hopelessly ill-defined oversimplification of many, many individual news outlets). This is not an either/or proposition and it is perfectly valid to "believe" (again, a hopelessly broad term for the process of taking in and considering information) both or neither.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 7, 2021

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

It's Forbes getting quoted in this argument, not some critically applauded independent media darling. Come on.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the contention here is that people don't want to believe that they are susceptible to media manipulation or their own biases. If you believe that inherently anything the US does is not trustworthy than a source saying yep, here is something to prove your point means you are more likely to believe it. That's what happened in 2016. Wikileaks had a lot of goodwill in certain circles because of the information they were leaking. They go against American hegemony and orthodoxy, they are to be believed and trusted.

Assange cast his lot with the Alex Jones and Trump types in 2016 but he "believes" the same things you do. Hilary Clinton bad, US bad, therefore Assange has no reason to lie or influence the election. It conforms to your belief system, you'd never be vulnerable to that type of manipulation, so your bias creeps in and you find ways to defend it. We see it with conservatives all the time but we as humans have the same bias issues.

Case in point, this is from the immigration thread just yesterday:

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's a bad story I guess and I'm deeply sorry for derailing the breakneck pace of discussion here. It resonated with my experience as an immigrant. Congrats though, you've successfully defended the needlessly cruel immigration apparatus of the United States, maybe you should think carefully about why you're interested in doing that before posting here.

You can click for context, but the gist of it is that the story in question was sourced from the Examiner and had already been thoroughly debunked in USNews by Discendo Vox. When this was pointed out, the poster "apologized" and said they believed the story because it "resonated with their experience". Then they got real pissy and claimed that the reason DV debunked the story was because he was motivated to defend the administration's policies.

To me, media literacy is about applying critical scrutiny to a source regardless of its ideological or political alignment, or its alignment with your experiences and worldview. That's not the same thing as "be equally skeptical of everyone!!!" or "never trust anything you read!!1" — it means actually reading articles, knowing how to identify load-bearing language and getting in the habit of looking for confirmation from other outlets, among other things.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

My only real experience with this thread before yesterday was seeing Discendo Vox go on and on about how Thomas Frank was being too emotional in his descriptions of liberalism but also demanding that Frank make sure to note how "monstrous" Donald Trump was, and that really didn't sell me on the conceit of this thread very well, and it's still hasn't. I only responded because I think saying, "This whistleblower's motivations aren't pure enough," is a really scary way to treat whistleblowing in the future.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

It's Forbes getting quoted in this argument, not some critically applauded independent media darling. Come on.

No, we're quoting you making equivocating statements about "the media," and claiming I am saying to not be critical of "American media".

Probably Magic posted:

My only real experience with this thread before yesterday was seeing Discendo Vox go on and on about how Thomas Frank was being too emotional in his descriptions of liberalism but also demanding that Frank make sure to note how "monstrous" Donald Trump was, and that really didn't sell me on the conceit of this thread very well, and it's still hasn't. I only responded because I think saying, "This whistleblower's motivations aren't pure enough," is a really scary way to treat whistleblowing in the future.

Entities like Wikileaks are not whistleblowers, they are mediators of information, some of which may come from whistleblowers. I did not critique Frank for being "too emotional in his descriptions of liberalism", I critiqued what appears to be deliberately selective and dishonest framing of information intended to appeal to the prior beliefs of his target audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Entities like Wikileaks are not whistleblowers, they are mediators of information, some of which may come from whistleblowers. I did not critique Frank for being "too emotional in his descriptions of liberalism", I critiqued what appears to be deliberately selective and dishonest framing of information intended to appeal to the prior beliefs of his target audience.

What I saw was essentially you complaining that you specifically weren't the target audience for the article, but I will also admit to not having read the article (and not having much desire to). It's irritating to read someone demand impartiality of others though when they're obviously not showing much impartiality themselves, and I didn't really understand what possible connections your exercise you posted underneath had with your critique either. This was admittedly weeks ago, though, so apologies for essentially necromancing a topic, but it's something that's been rankling my nerves since.

You did try to dismiss me saying there's a connection between the military-industrial complex and the media writ large (which gets generalized all the time in this forum, don't get pedantic now, the literal thread title is generalizing, do you mean actual types of medium or press journalism, you mean journalism, let's move on), and that is just an ahistorical presumption that there isn't influence. Again, the publication that's been bandied about has been Forbes, I'm not going to give automatic good faith to a publication run by a rich Republican when it comes to foreign policy.