Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bums me out that even though the new format is better, they're still having you look up or memorise six spells if you want to be able to use all the monster's abilities. This is a solved problem, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I was about to say I've never had much of a problem with memorizing spells.

But I also just realize that when I play this game I'm using a VTT and can easily look poo poo up quickly.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Any good adventures that make heavy use of animal familiar stuff? My kid's goals in this game all seem to revolve around owning and/or becoming a cat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

P-Mack posted:

Any good adventures that make heavy use of animal familiar stuff? My kid's goals in this game all seem to revolve around owning and/or becoming a cat.

https://steamforged.com/animal-adventures

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

P-Mack posted:

My kid's goals in this game all seem to revolve around owning and/or becoming a cat.

Who wants to be the one to tell him?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

jmzero posted:

Yeah that makes sense. The fact that I'm literally playing with children kind of lets me have this both ways. If I was playing with adults I'd probably have to pick - either use a system that's intentionally loose story time, or do a better impression of following the rules. Maybe only cheat a little.

Playing with children also adds some constraints. I'm not going to perma-kill my daughter's wizard that has 30 illustrated pages of backstory and pets.

They lured the dragon to an abandoned fortress from earlier in the campaign, spending all their money on bait-livestock, hired help, and repairs to the defenses. Their kill room was pretty vicious, but after getting horrifically skewered/melted the dragon escaped by freeze-shattering the portcullis. I have no idea whether that makes sense with D&D dragon lore, but it seemed fair.

I had originally planned on the dragon flapping home to lick its wounds and another session at Icespire Peak (and/or having the magical advice centaurs from earlier toot in if things went really bad). But with the fighter knocked out and 2+2 on death saves, the aforementioned 9 strength wizard (at low HP) took the dragon-slayer sword from him and charged in. She rolled a 17, and that seemed like a good place to end it.

Completely missed the kids part so this makes more sense now.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

Any tips for running or simplifying mass combats?

My party trekked up to a set of cordoned off ice caves in search of the man who burned down the paladin's forest years ago and discovered he's now the acting secretary of defense for the overarching government. He's taken a contingent of personal guards and local security forces up the mountain to extract some dangerous experiments from the cave system (a tomb tapper and some other nasty stuff), but they've been delayed after the paladin paid a mercenary to disrupt their supply lines. Instead of rushing in head-first, the party fomented dissent among his troops and disabled the wards around the camp keeping out the yetis, ice wolves, and other monsters that wanted to reclaim the area, leading to this clusterfuck:

The entire map is 100 squares long and there are more soldiers, blood hunters, and arcane cannons at the bottom dealing with their own yetis. Right now it's pretty much a free-for-all but they're planning on turning their target when he's weakened (though he'll order the gate opened too as a last-ditch measure to create a distraction). This is supposed to be a huge memorable battle because it's the culmination of a character's story arc, but is there a way to run it that won't be an enormous pain in the rear end?

Update: This went well! I simplified all multiple units to one initiative spot per group and largely ignored the NPCs on the bottom half of the map until they began advancing later in combat.

The first part went pretty smoothly; a clan of yetis scaled the cliff face and started attacking everyone, with the alpha paralyzing the party wizard for 4 rounds because they failed the DC 18 con save against its glare... then it hammered everyone with its cold breath for 50 damage and really put the fear of god in everyone. It was immediately banished after that.

The battle turned once the big guy was temporarily taken out and Maximillian, the warlord they were there to kill, got all buddy-buddy with them for stepping in. That is, until one of his spellcasters analyzed the warding bell and determined that someone had suppressed its magic temporarily and let the monsters get close. On his turn, he tried straight up interrogating the wizard about her role in it, and unconvinced, grappled both her and the cleric to take them into custody for resisting arrest. That didn't fly right with the rest of the group so they abandoned their earlier plan to trick him into helping them out and just started attacking.

The gate was opened to cover his retreat and a tomb tapper and a bunch of smaller monsters poured out to make things even more of a mess. The tomb tapper was promptly banished as well, they focused fire on Maximillian, wizard polymorphed into a T Rex, and they murdered all of the witnesses before fleeing and letting the banished monsters return to duke it out. All in all, we finished exactly on time and the paladin finally got his revenge and leveled up.

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 6, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Not to beat a dead horse, but I think one other major point with the weird "Kid-falling out a window and player agency" discussion is that, ultimately the same effect would have been achieved by the DM just rolling a D6 and declaring a kid survived if they rolled a 3. That's ultimately one of the big problems of trying to create a rule system that works as a self-propelled world simulator: Ultimately you're just adding a lot of extra steps to simulate probabilities.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

KingKalamari posted:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think one other major point with the weird "Kid-falling out a window and player agency" discussion is that, ultimately the same effect would have been achieved by the DM just rolling a D6 and declaring a kid survived if they rolled a 3. That's ultimately one of the big problems of trying to create a rule system that works as a self-propelled world simulator: Ultimately you're just adding a lot of extra steps to simulate probabilities.

I mean, that's just the end result of applying PC mechanics to NPCs, I think the debate was "is it the right way to play D&D" to treat NPC's as PC's in terms of rule mechanics, and extending those mechanics to apply to situations in a typical campaign the DM would just decide, versus letting an elaborate series of dice rolls decide.

Because it wasn't just the kid surviving that got it described as being a parody of D&D, because a particular series of dice rolls; the argument was because the kid had hitpoints, a player level, and the DM rolled an acrobatics check for them and then falling damage for them instead of leaving them as a disembodied name and just deciding by fiat because they're an NPC and that this is typical during the campaign I play in.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I need some advice, what sort of monster would be a fun and interesting challenge for a group of 4 level 2 (possibly 3) adventurers? I need either a single monster or possibly a pack that could have attacked a guy and killed him, I've built him up as an eccentric and paranoid loner who has traps and stuff around as well so it could be a much harder monster, a stealthy thing or something that can phase through walls that he's softened up a bit maybe.

Sorry to ask for someone to do my homework for me essentially, I'm just working some slightly stupid hours until the session and so far I've managed to avoid the classic zombies, giant rats, bandits, etc so I want to continue that with something a little bit different if I can.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

I need some advice, what sort of monster would be a fun and interesting challenge for a group of 4 level 2 (possibly 3) adventurers? I need either a single monster or possibly a pack that could have attacked a guy and killed him, I've built him up as an eccentric and paranoid loner who has traps and stuff around as well so it could be a much harder monster, a stealthy thing or something that can phase through walls that he's softened up a bit maybe.

Sorry to ask for someone to do my homework for me essentially, I'm just working some slightly stupid hours until the session and so far I've managed to avoid the classic zombies, giant rats, bandits, etc so I want to continue that with something a little bit different if I can.

Are you aware of https://koboldplus.club/#/encounter-builder ? You can test out virtually any encounter you want.

A suggestion for a random medium encounter for a party of 4 level 2:
1 violet Faerie Dragon

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What about a dire platypus?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Deteriorata posted:

Are you aware of https://koboldplus.club/#/encounter-builder ? You can test out virtually any encounter you want.

A suggestion for a random medium encounter for a party of 4 level 2:
1 violet Faerie Dragon

Those are supposed to be good though, even if chaotic good

Not to say you couldn't use it. But it would be strange that it would choose to kill. Could be a plot hook there

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

A Mimic seems ideal here, and should be about the right challenge.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The mimic was a trap mimic. It mimicked a trap that was obvious but out of place. When your players go to investigate or disarm it, as did the victim, it will attack.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

Maybe a Death dog or two?

”Monster Manual” posted:

A death dog is an ugly two-headed hound that roams plains, and deserts. Hate burns in a death dog's heart, and a taste for humanoid flesh drives it to attack travelers and explorers. Death dog saliva carries a foul disease that causes a victim's flesh to slowly rot off the bone.

nelson fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 6, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A hell hound would be good too and is smart enough to stalk and menace its prey

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I am building a 14th level NPC for a campaign and I’m looking for the hackiest min/maxiest warrior class composition ever.

Big bag of hit points, huge pluses for hit/dam/initiative. The works.

Got any suggestions?

Right now I’m thinking a straight fighter/barbarian/ranger but that seems really obvious and pedestrian.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Agrikk posted:

I am building a 14th level NPC for a campaign and I’m looking for the hackiest min/maxiest warrior class composition ever.

Big bag of hit points, huge pluses for hit/dam/initiative. The works.

Got any suggestions?

Right now I’m thinking a straight fighter/barbarian/ranger but that seems really obvious and pedestrian.

A straight level 14 Zealot barbarian straight up doesn't go unconscious when they hit 0 HP and gets a bunch of extra radiant damage to every hit they make. If you are allowed to pick a magic item, if you can swing a Periapt of Wound Closure you're almost invincible.

If you're looking for a multiclass, dipping 4 levels of fighter for a barbarian of any stripe can be good to grab improved crit range from Champion, or dipping Barbarian for a fighter can be great just to grab rage for damage reduction.

If you want to really gently caress around and make your whole team survivable as hell while not losing much damage, a Gloomstalker Ranger/Twilight Cleric seems like it'd be a hell of a combo.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

A straight level 14 Zealot barbarian straight up doesn't go unconscious when they hit 0 HP and gets a bunch of extra radiant damage to every hit they make. If you are allowed to pick a magic item, if you can swing a Periapt of Wound Closure you're almost invincible.
If you make that Barbarian a Half-Orc, you get the Relentless Endurance trait too, for yet one more way to sidestep mortality.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

If the NPC is a bad guy, the cheesy Echo Knight fighter strat of hiding in a coffin and materializing your Stand to attack outside of it could make for a memorable encounter. Put it in a wagon, so the PCs can send him rolling off a cliff or into a lake.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Level 11 Fighter/Level 3 Warlock seems generically strong, no matter which subclasses you take. 3 attacks per Attack action, Eldritch Blast when you can't get in melee range, Armor of Agathys for a nice self-buff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

For an NPC you don't have to worry about it being boring, so even something like a Champion Fighter would be fine. Longbow for distance attacks.

If the party relies on dark vision and doesn't use light sources then a Gloomstalker Ranger could be fun. As long as the lights are out he's invisible to dark vision. All you need to do make him visible is turn on a light.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Just saw a preview of two of the upcoming monsters from Fizban's and I am sold by the art of the Eyedrake and Elder Brain Dragon

Yusin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 7, 2021

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
That brain dragon is pretty unsettling. Nice work, WOTC.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

denimgorilla posted:

That brain dragon is pretty unsettling. Nice work, WOTC.

According to the preview, it's breath weapon is scary.

Dragon + posted:

“The elder brain also takes over the dragon’s breath weapon mechanism and spews a stream of brine filled with tadpoles, to begin performing ceremorphosis as it transforms the humanoids around it. Characters continue taking psychic damage even when infested with a tadpole, stabilizing if they’re reduced to zero hit points but remaining unconscious, until they transform into a mind flayer."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yusin posted:

:stonk: uh oh

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Yusin posted:

Whoa! Tadpole puke that turns you into Mind Flayers. Hell yeah.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
My players have gotten word of a treasure stashed in a bank by a now deceased bandit lord who was particularly infatuated by the idea of compound interest. They think the next session is going to be a bank heist. They have no idea I'm about to hit them with a round of 5e Banking Bureaucracy that would make Kafka blush.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The Mash posted:

My players have gotten word of a treasure stashed in a bank by a now deceased bandit lord who was particularly infatuated by the idea of compound interest. They think the next session is going to be a bank heist. They have no idea I'm about to hit them with a round of 5e Banking Bureaucracy that would make Kafka blush.

I absolutely must know more.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh boy, Spelljammer stuff is all but confirmed: https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1446520769010274309

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Yusin posted:

I read that and my brain translates it as: "Baldur's Gate 3: Now in Early Access."

Still really cool though.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Thri-Keen you say...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, add Dark Sun to the list, looks like

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

UA posted:

The giff are split into two camps concerning how their name is pronounced.
:chanpop:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Can I have psionics that feel different from spellcasting please. :(

radlum
May 13, 2013

Having seen Venom yesterday, I think I kind of want to play as an ooze. Also, a mechanical gnome sounds pretty cool too.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

Oh merciful gods. Cute little slime girls have come to D&D. After the kitsune invasion of Pathfinder, we must hold strong.

(Not going to lie, Ooze/slime artificer is going to be dope af)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, add Dark Sun to the list, looks like

So, given the recent scuttlebutt about 3 classic campaigns being slated for release in 2022, it's looking like we're going to be getting Spelljammer, Dark Sun and Dragonlance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

KingKalamari posted:

So, given the recent scuttlebutt about 3 classic campaigns being slated for release in 2022, it's looking like we're going to be getting Spelljammer, Dark Sun and Dragonlance?

Ugh, I just got really excited and I know I’m setting myself up for disappointment.