Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I assume you wouldn't be able to run Hu Tao with Thoma and get a working vape comp, since the flame waves would either consume a hydro proc or set up a pyro proc that the XQ rain sword hydro application would then consume. Which is a shame, but still won't stop me from throwing all the wishes I have at that banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's reverse vaporize so it's possible. Gandlethorpe had an illustrative video with Klee and Childe. It will depend on how the gauge math works.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ahhh. I'll readily admit to understanding gently caress-and-dick-all about gauge math.

I'm currently thinking Hu Tao / XQ / Kaz / Diona, and then for Thoma maybe like......Raiden/Thoma/XL/Sucrose for a b-team? If I want to move as far away from my current freeze playstyle I've been doing to death (and loving).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The issue with Hu Tao + anemo at the moment is it's impossible to swirl pyro without a second pyro. So you either give her Bennett or use something that feels weird like Xinyan/amber/yoimiya.

Granted, Thoma doesn't actually do a whole lot more than Xinyan, but it's at least a little better.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Oh no! But Kaz is so fun....

kater
Nov 16, 2010

What do you think ppl are talking about? It’s a second pyro character!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Named ambqiumayan

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shenhe is leaked as Cryo too so while thats far from set in stone it feels like Pyro and Cryo continue to see a lot of representation.

Araganzar posted:

I can't believe a video game had the temerity to mix WATER and ICE. That's straight up bullshit. Or that a climbing game has a mob designed to KNOCK YOU OFF CLIFFS.

A full year of development and 2 billion dollars USD in sales and I'm still having to deal with stupid mechanics like WATER?!?!?!?!

:laffo:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the other thing to consider is that if you don't own zhongli you have to run hutao with like, noelle or bennett. thoma + vv shred is infinitely more accessible and effective for players with newer accounts. depending on how the reactions work out i could see him actually being better with hutao, but i think this would be a weird thing to power creep.

if you have a c4 jean as well you could drop zhongli in xiao comps and it might math out better with the 15% bonus plunge damage if you're already into negative anemo res.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i remember when i thought i could have C2+ Jean *gazing wistfully as C5 Diluc walks through the background*

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Araganzar posted:

I can't believe a video game had the temerity to mix WATER and ICE. That's straight up bullshit. Or that a climbing game has a mob designed to KNOCK YOU OFF CLIFFS.

A full year of development and 2 billion dollars USD in sales and I'm still having to deal with stupid mechanics like WATER?!?!?!?!

Glad you agree with me on this important matter, your support means a lot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bennet is quite literally one of the worst partners to Hu Tao. He heals too fast (bad #1) and his atk boost is worthless to Hu Tao because she scales purely off HP.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

She doesn't scale purely off of hp, HP just gives her a very fat attack score so bennett is roughly half as impactful as he would normally be. He's worse with her than he is with anyone else especially due to her passive but he's still one of her better partners for activating venerer, it's just he's usually much better on your other team. (This math will change with homa as it becomes much more important to be <50% HP.)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 7, 2021

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

QuantaStarFire posted:

Glad you agree with me on this important matter, your support means a lot.

I had a lot of bad days like this with Mona before they fixed her Dodge, like a LOT of them, so I'm not totally without sympathy for your plight....

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tae posted:

Bennet is quite literally one of the worst

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ugh now I have to wait and see if Kaz/Thoma is going to be a good pair together and then wonder if it's worth risking the 5* to try to get a copy of him :doh:

Bennett's fine on my Childe team but it'd be nice to have a little variance I guess, and also Bennett's kind of boring. I have ZL as my fourth so like. I don't really need a healer :v:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

one thing im not clear about with thoma is whether his c2 extends the duration of the fire waves or just the shield. with the cooldown reduction c1 you're looking at 2 seconds of downtime with perfect energy regen, but if the extended duration also added onto the 15s duration and not just the 8s duration you can actually have 100% uptime with proper energy regen.

his actual burst damage will be higher than zhongli's either way though, but he can't use millelith at all and trades universal shred for the 15% attack buff. he seems like he'll have a pretty solid niche to me, but like most of the 4 star supports you need to make a decent investment into constellations to get there.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
particle collecting daily huh

well that one was easy, but the particle collection challenges are awful in general. especially when they show the particles (doesn't actually show them, is disorienting, runs down the timer) at the beginning

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
I think the annoyance of the daily quests definitely increases as you go from Mondstat to Liyue to Inazuma

Especially the balloon quests in Inazuma; those are the worst by far

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So we are gonna be able to exchange the charms from this event for stuff sometime before the event ends and they expire, right?

Like the NPC said we would be able to

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

no, it worked that way previously in the beta and they forgot to change the line.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Boat Stuck posted:

I think the annoyance of the daily quests definitely increases as you go from Mondstat to Liyue to Inazuma

Especially the balloon quests in Inazuma; those are the worst by far

They said in a post that they're going to increase the balloon's movement speed in Inazuma, at least.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

BabyRyoga posted:

So we are gonna be able to exchange the charms from this event for stuff sometime before the event ends and they expire, right?

Nope

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

padijun posted:

particle collecting daily huh

well that one was easy, but the particle collection challenges are awful in general. especially when they show the particles (doesn't actually show them, is disorienting, runs down the timer) at the beginning

Gotta love the particle one over the Kujou camp where half the time the sakura trees dissapear so I can't reach the checkpoints on the roof.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

A question on fishing nodes: sometimes i notice a dynamic spawn as i am actively fishing a node. So if i only need pufferfish, is it ok to just cherrypick the pufferfish from all the nodes where they are spawned at?

Or: should i fish out completely every node where they are possible in order to encourage them to spawn more?

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

So I’m pretty new at this, and I’ve read a bunch of starter guides and such, but I’m kind of at a loss about what kind of team comp I should be going for, what banners I should be rolling, who I should be leveling, etc.

I feel like I already hosed up by leveling so many people to 40 but I feel like I’m still too early on to be settling into a team comp. I was thinking of waiting and rolling for Hu Tao (sp) in the upcoming banner but I really don’t know.

In terms of weapons I have an Aquila Favonia that I have at my current max of 40, but that’s it. Haven’t really leveled any artifacts either. I think I may be overly afraid of using my resources early and sub-optimally.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Hexel posted:

A question on fishing nodes: sometimes i notice a dynamic spawn as i am actively fishing a node. So if i only need pufferfish, is it ok to just cherrypick the pufferfish from all the nodes where they are spawned at?

Or: should i fish out completely every node where they are possible in order to encourage them to spawn more?

It seems like day or night will have a certain amount spawned, so once the fish you're looking for stop spawning you should move time forward and fish until they stop again. From my limited testing it didn't seem like clearing out all the fish provided any benefit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only thing I do is fish a couple of the easy fishes, then change the time from day/night and vice versa.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bennett will be in shop next month so if you want you can start cheating even if he doesnt show up/you dont want to pull him off of childe banner (I'm just assuming they're putting him there).

You don't have to be too concerned with optimal but if it were my account and I wanted to push the abyss I would use Hu Tao+Xingiu on one side and Kaeya+Chongyun+Bennett+Xiangling on the other. Can also use mona chongyun kaeya bennett or something.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 7, 2021

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

What I have read/heard on fishing is is that there can be more fish spawned in a single instance of a node than are displayed by the game at any given point (thanks for that, cellphones). So there may be 3 pufferfish spawned but you might only see 1 at a time. By catching a visible fish you allow one of the others that are spawned but invisible to be displayed.

AFAIK the spawns still reset every 72 hours whether you empty the spot or not, so you shouldn't lose anything by only grabbing pufferfish but you won't gain a faster reset either.

@trip9
read up on the elemental combinations and build your teams around them

for example, mona and xiangling make a great vaporize comp (pryo+hydro) and if you add noelle (shield) and anemo traveler (crowd control, swirls, vv artifact set eventually) you're looking at a quite decent team

similarly, a team like kaeya, chongyun, xingqiu or mona, ?? (traveler or noelle for shield) to keep things permanently frozen while you beat on them also works

regarding artifacts, don't be too concerned about wasting resources below WL5 or WL6, whichever one starts guaranteeding a 5* artifact from a domain

you can burn your existing leveled artifacts for 80% or so of their total EXP value once you find better ones so you lose very little by leveling up whetever you find at first, and artifacts are something like a solid 1/4-1/3 of your damage potential and survivability, especially the flat-mainstat flowers and feathers, early on

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Hexel posted:

The way it works is that each fishing location spawns X amount of fish, but only 5(?) can be displayed at the same time. I forgot the exact numbers when I stopped fishing for the catch, sorry. If you're only looking for 1 or 2 specific types of fish, the strategy was to fish out random fish until new ones stop spawning, then change the time of the day and repeat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MoonCrab posted:

The way it works is that each fishing location spawns X amount of fish, but only 5(?) can be displayed at the same time.

IIRC it's like 3-5 depending on the exact fishing spot.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

sushibandit posted:

Helpful info

My concern is if I start building a team and then pull someone new that seems fun and pivot my team comp, is that just wasted XP? I read that XP is somewhat scarce despite getting a ton early, so I don’t want to squander it and then just have to grind later on.

No Wave posted:

Bennett talk
Just realized this was for me. Thanks for the heads up that he’ll be in the shop, that sounds like a fun comp.

trip9 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 7, 2021

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

trip9 posted:

My concern is if I start building a team and then pull someone new that seems fun and pivot my team comp, is that just wasted XP? I read that XP is somewhat scarce despite getting a ton early, so I don’t want to squander it and then just have to grind later on.
XP books aren't particularly scarce; you get a lot just by running around, and you can run ley lines for them if you really do run out. The big limiting factor early is probably ascension mats, both the boss drops (which require resin to get) and to an extent the crystals. Resin is always a limiting factor no matter how progressed you are.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

trip9 posted:

So I’m pretty new at this, and I’ve read a bunch of starter guides and such, but I’m kind of at a loss about what kind of team comp I should be going for, what banners I should be rolling, who I should be leveling, etc.

I feel like I already hosed up by leveling so many people to 40 but I feel like I’m still too early on to be settling into a team comp. I was thinking of waiting and rolling for Hu Tao (sp) in the upcoming banner but I really don’t know.

In terms of weapons I have an Aquila Favonia that I have at my current max of 40, but that’s it. Haven’t really leveled any artifacts either. I think I may be overly afraid of using my resources early and sub-optimally.

Since you have Aquila you can put that on Kaeya and he'd be a pretty good phsycial dps carry. A solid carry can get you to endgame just fine. Just plop some gladiator artifacts on him as you get them. You'd also want an electro unit for superconduct, which would mean Lisa in your case. Who isn't really that great of a unit, but will do the job for applying electro until you got someone else.

Xingqui and Xiangling are really good 4 star units with very good bursts. But they require a ton of energy recharge to really get going. Which is hard to come by until endgame. But you should absolutely invest in those two for the long term. If you happen to pull a ER sword or spear then they will go great on them.

Mona works well as a hydro supplier if you have problems keeping XQs burst up and want to freeze enemies.

Chongyun pairs very nicely with Xingqui and Xiangling, but his skill converts damage to cryo while in his field. Which would void the physical damage bonus of Aquila. You could use him as a burst nuke though, but again that requires a lot of ER.

Dont worry about wasting materials at this point. Exp books and mora to get people to 40 is a drop in the bucket conpared to later levels. Plus, you get free pulls on the standard banner for leveling units. You'll want to level everyone a bit eventually anyway. So feel free to experiment with characters to see who you like.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

trip9 posted:

Eventually the Spiral Abyss will start requiring you to have two teams of four so even if you pull someone cool and drop a character you've invested into for now, you'll get to use them later on in your Abyss B team. Also, there's always the chance that you could pull someone who synergizes well with the character you dropped and you can bring them back in.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Awesome, this was great and it assuages some of my fears about being “optimal”. I’d love the freedom to play around with different comps without feeling like I’m just throwing away resources.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

trip9 posted:

If you aren't really spending money on the game, use all your primo gems only on the featured character banner. Only roll on the wanderlust one with the free wishes you get from ascending chars/going up in rank/battle pass/etc. That banner doesn't really change so feel free to just use each one whenever you get it.

Also keep in mind what your pity level is at on the featured banner. If you've rolled 9 times without getting a 4 star char or weapon, the next roll will guarantee one. If you've rolled 69 times without getting a 5 star char, your chances of getting one from the 70th onwards increases dramatically until you are guaranteed one for sure. If you get a 5 star that isn't the specific featured character, the next time you get a 5 star it is guaranteed to be the featured character. All of these things roll over to the next banner of the same type, so you could potentially get a standard 5 star char on the current banner and be guaranteed the next featured char you roll for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

trip9 posted:

Ever since they added the 3 fates for every character once they're level 70, I'm of the mind that there's no such thing as wasting exp on characters.

Since you're still early, just figure out what character you like and keep them leveled up as best you can if you're going to use them. Noelle and Chongyun are the best you've got for mining ore right now and since artifacts are kind of all over the place, just aim for getting atk% hourglasses, goblets, and circlets. If you happen to get any hydro, pyro, electro, physical, etc goblets, save those and pass them around where applicable though. And also any crit rate/damage helmets you get, those will do gangbusters for your damage, believe me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

trip9 posted:

Just realized this was for me. Thanks for the heads up that he’ll be in the shop, that sounds like a fun comp.

Resources are generally hard to "waste" in genshin outside of a few things like the fragile resin or billets. Grinding in some form is pretty much unavoidable (at the very least you'll have to grind domains for artifacts at AR45) but the good news is that exp leylines take like 15 minutes to use all of your daily resin if you're at the point where you can condense it.