Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

blatman posted:

not being skeletonized

you can't stop my skeleton from posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/0...vGLb6U9U6Aovc3f

So this is a This American Life episode about a father who grows estranged from his family because of their irreconcilably different perspectives on climate change. Yes, I know the succ zone is that way, but give it a listen and I think you'll find that it is relevant to our interests and actually owns.

You see, the story starts out with a father in Washington state who learns about climate change, has an awakening, and quickly grows deeply concerned. He gets his family involved, and he and his wife raise his two kids to be mini American Greta's. They go on tour spreading the good word about the need to aggressively transition to renewable energy. He pushes them hard, optimizing their performances to maximize their effect (the younger the cute disarming one, the older one the doomer), to an extent that quickly grows harsh and abusive.

The activism becomes too intense and all-consuming. There becomes no way left to maintain a healthy relationship with the father, so mom pulls the kids out. While dad keeps pushing climate change activism as a life and death matter,  the rest of the family takes a step back and tries to go back to normal life. The father can't go back and continues to pressure the kids, so they try therapy, and the kids admit they were only interested in activism in order to access their father's love. The father apologizes for not doing MORE to get them more deeply involved in climate work. One of the kids attempts suicide. Eventually the family gives the father an ultimatum and makes him agree to drop the climate activism and go back to being a normal loving dad.

Instead he goes full direct action and gets thrown in jail for helping shut off a tar sands pipeline, accumulating multiple felonies. His family is horrified that he would do something so selfish and destructive to their way of life. Doesn't he care about them at all? They scoff as elements of the media make Dad out to be some kind of hero. Other climate activists reach out to the family to try and explain the father's motivations and the importance of his work, but they maintain he was annoying, harmful, and has accomplished nothing, having postured as a family man while wasting his life on a frivolous personal pursuit. 

The interviewer reaches out to the father again to talk about his family, but he is still hung up on the climate change thing and only wants to discuss the science of the looming catastrophe. He gets talked down for the harsh way he treated his young children. He accepts that he's been left aimless and broken, stranded farthest from the thing he loves most.

The family cuts all ties, just barely wishing him well. The family feels much better having freed themselves of the irrationally intense pressure of their alarmist father. They can finally escape from a constant feeling of looming catastrophe, and they can finally get back to their own lives and take a deep breath. The kids go off to college, their climate nightmares now reduced to once every few weeks. 

Then the PNW heat dome comes (crack). Now the still-estranged father's voice haunts them, scolding them for not doing enough to help. They can no longer block it out, and accept that Dad was right about the climate after all (ping! lol).

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

one kamehameha could power los angeles for weeks

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXEIu90YLLc

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Decades posted:

So this is a This American Life episode about a father who grows estranged from his family because of their irreconcilably different perspectives on climate change. Yes, I know the succ zone is that way, but give it a listen and I think you'll find that it is relevant to our interests and actually owns.

You see, the story starts out with a father in Washington state who learns about climate change, has an awakening, and quickly grows deeply concerned. He gets his family involved, and he and his wife raise his two kids to be mini American Greta's. They go on tour spreading the good word about the need to aggressively transition to renewable energy. He pushes them hard, optimizing their performances to maximize their effect (the younger the cute disarming one, the older one the doomer), to an extent that quickly grows harsh and abusive.

The activism becomes too intense and all-consuming. There becomes no way left to maintain a healthy relationship with the father, so mom pulls the kids out. While dad keeps pushing climate change activism as a life and death matter,  the rest of the family takes a step back and tries to go back to normal life. The father can't go back and continues to pressure the kids, so they try therapy, and the kids admit they were only interested in activism in order to access their father's love. The father apologizes for not doing MORE to get them more deeply involved in climate work. One of the kids attempts suicide. Eventually the family gives the father an ultimatum and makes him agree to drop the climate activism and go back to being a normal loving dad.

Instead he goes full direct action and gets thrown in jail for helping shut off a tar sands pipeline, accumulating multiple felonies. His family is horrified that he would do something so selfish and destructive to their way of life. Doesn't he care about them at all? They scoff as elements of the media make Dad out to be some kind of hero. Other climate activists reach out to the family to try and explain the father's motivations and the importance of his work, but they maintain he was annoying, harmful, and has accomplished nothing, having postured as a family man while wasting his life on a frivolous personal pursuit. 

The interviewer reaches out to the father again to talk about his family, but he is still hung up on the climate change thing and only wants to discuss the science of the looming catastrophe. He gets talked down for the harsh way he treated his young children. He accepts that he's been left aimless and broken, stranded farthest from the thing he loves most.

The family cuts all ties, just barely wishing him well. The family feels much better having freed themselves of the irrationally intense pressure of their alarmist father. They can finally escape from a constant feeling of looming catastrophe, and they can finally get back to their own lives and take a deep breath. The kids go off to college, their climate nightmares now reduced to once every few weeks. 

Then the PNW heat dome comes (crack). Now the still-estranged father's voice haunts them, scolding them for not doing enough to help. They can no longer block it out, and accept that Dad was right about the climate after all (ping! lol).

That ending should have a spoiler tag over it, because it's too perfectly :discourse:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I consciously limit how much doomerism I share with my wife at any given moment because I know she's already prone to anxiety. I have convinced her that moving to Florida would be a horrible idea at least, lol. As for my son who is due in a few weeks, well I'll do my best to give him a happy life (don't worry I'll use like 3 climate offset apps to make up for it) and hope he won't resent us too much when he grows up. Lmao!

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1446137379711078413?s=20

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don’t see why moving to Florida is necessarily a bad idea. Front row tix and surely their will be some assistance at the start and a huge payoff from when Miami sues Greenland for melting.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Decades posted:

in the other thread someone asked why us doomers post if we don't have solutions and can't discuss the solutions that might really help (which i think won't help anyway vOv)

well i guess one reason is post here to vent because i don't want to blow up my life and be alone

bowser posted:

I consciously limit how much doomerism I share with my wife at any given moment because I know she's already prone to anxiety. I have convinced her that moving to Florida would be a horrible idea at least, lol. As for my son who is due in a few weeks, well I'll do my best to give him a happy life (don't worry I'll use like 3 climate offset apps to make up for it) and hope he won't resent us too much when he grows up. Lmao!

yeah exactly

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 13:13 on Mar 29, 2023

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Decades posted:

They can no longer block it out, and accept that Dad was right about the climate after all (ping! lol).

You had me going for a while but this gave away the game. Nice try. Fake story.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Cold on a Cob posted:

in the other thread someone asked why us doomers post if we don't have solutions and can't discuss the solutions that might really help (which i think won't help anyway vOv)

well i guess one reason is post here to vent because i don't want to blow up my life and be alone

Informing people that there is no hope and their lives will end prematurely due to catastrophic and runaway climate change is an ethical imperative literally.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

the other thread had a great post by a user named meow who wanted to clarify the rules and explain (kindly I might add) why their circle jerk hope circle was inherently dumb and they got probed and gaslit to hell and back for it.

I thought about writing a response because basically the threads justification for never saying anything about the concept of something illegal is starting to feel like thought policing, and then realized Id just get probed too.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Informing people that there is no hope and their lives will end prematurely due to catastrophic and runaway climate change is an ethical imperative literally.
I agree. Something I really wrestle with is how you can know all this and still select to have kids. The fact that there are posters itt who understand the catastrophe of it all (as if any of us can) and still be like "yeah but I am still getting mine so fygm" glitches out my mind.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

LionArcher posted:

the other thread had a great post by a user named meow who wanted to clarify the rules and explain (kindly I might add) why their circle jerk hope circle was inherently dumb and they got probed and gaslit to hell and back for it.

I thought about writing a response because basically the threads justification for never saying anything about the concept of something illegal is starting to feel like thought policing, and then realized Id just get probed too.

:justpost: and wear your probe like a badge of honor.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

(approaching a stranger on the street) excuse me, did you know that there's nothing to do, nowhere to go, nothing to be done, and no one to know?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

LionArcher posted:

as a couple of them pointed out this is entirely so they can maintain plausible deniability, their liberal posting personas are constructed to be anti-evidence when they are arrested for the ecoterrorisms they're all definitely secretly referring to when they say "organize". they object to honest discussion and are incapable of answering questions or providing any details about their excellent perfectly legal ideas because it's all supposed to be legal cover and us do-nothing doomers just can't take a hint.

yes, this is definitely the most likely explanation for their weird fixations and complete lack of depth.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I would but I’ve been probed enough in that thread and their mod legit makes me angry because they’re basically like “our hands our tied and don’t say the bad words because the FBI watches our every move guys! and please act like “ reasonable adults who enjoy the boot of an insane system pressing down in your neck and talk like civilized people. cut it ouutttt”.

and I am really enjoying deep diving on mechanical keyboards this week and if I’m probed I can’t ask questions of the group buy/switches I’m ordering this week and I’m seeing Bond tonight and Metroid Dread comes out tomorrow and I like nerding out about those things here.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

AppleNippleBOB posted:

See the fresh-rear end red text someone bought me for a look at why this is a bad idea in forums which don't understand sarcasm lmao.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cold on a Cob posted:

Same, kind of, but I always find it funny when the doom comes from the opposite direction.

Lately I've been getting texts from my partner while she's at work that are just links to pretty much the same articles and tweets that pop up in this thread, generally with no comment other than "we're hosed" or "lol." I'm thinking the doomerism is airborne at this point.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I don't really care about the solutions because it's pretty obvious by now that while we can see the iceberg, our plan is to go full steam ahead

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

LionArcher posted:

I would but I’ve been probed enough in that thread and their mod legit makes me angry because they’re basically like “our hands our tied and don’t say the bad words because the FBI watches our every move guys! and please act like “ reasonable adults who enjoy the boot of an insane system pressing down in your neck and talk like civilized people. cut it ouutttt”.

and I am really enjoying deep diving on mechanical keyboards this week and if I’m probed I can’t ask questions of the group buy/switches I’m ordering this week and I’m seeing Bond tonight and Metroid Dread comes out tomorrow and I like nerding out about those things here.

the best in life is to crush your posting enemies, see them driven before you, and hear that awesome clicky clack of a good keyboard

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CODChimera posted:

I don't really care about the solutions because it's pretty obvious by now that while we can see the iceberg, our plan is to go full steam ahead

Yeah, there are all kinds of "solutions" to talk about but they're never going to happen and that's been apparent for as long as anyone posting in this thread has been alive.

The poo poo libs do is way weirder anyway. Just wasting pages of text on "ideas" that will never happen and wouldn't help even if they could magic wand them into existence.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

Doom posting is very important and key to avoiding the curse of procreation. Really this podcast has done as much as anything else to confirm to me that there is no winning with parenthood, no correct balance to be found. You can either raise them as a doomer fully aware of their situation, or try and give them a good life and hide it away, and I have no freakin idea which one is more abusive.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You had me going for a while but this gave away the game. Nice try. Fake story.

Jokes I know but the dad is Michael Foster and there's plenty out there to read about him for anyone curious.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

from the creators of the award winning "hollerin about climate change at dennys" app comes a NEW paradigm in carbon offset app slacktivism. subscribe now and one of our dedicated engineers will operate up to 40 carbon offset apps on your behalf reducing your carbon footprint at blazing fast speeds.

we offer scalable solutions that meet your needs at any level from driving to work to the unmitigated dumping of polyfluoroalkyl directly into your communities rivers and water tables!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

Just to be clear I've been doing a bit all day, I haven't spontaneously developed Lib-brain.

I was about to ask what your doc had you popping 3x daily now and was gonna suggest you rail it for kicks.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

gently caress it, I posted over there anyway. lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/consumersos/status/1446071390533263367?s=21

cnn posted:

A series of slow-moving storms stalled in the region Sunday into Monday, dumping over 36 inches (925 mm) of rain in the town of Rossiglione, about 60 miles (100 km) southwest of Milan.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

why would you want to marginalize the lifeboat and emergency transponder manufacturers like that?? this is direct harm imo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Rime posted:

See the fresh-rear end red text someone bought me for a look at why this is a bad idea in forums which don't understand sarcasm lmao.

Goon Thanos strikes again

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin'
And you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mayor Dave posted:

Goon Thanos strikes again

watching the dome video again and i can't believe the creator used this picture of rime without a release or anything

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Hey I thought we had a decade before large scale crop infertility WTF

https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/2021-10-06/strange-harvest-weird-shaped-potatoes-melons-that-wont-keep-and-no-moisture-to-plant-wheat

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

There's a lot of irrational choices that we keep making in spite of the giant asteroid hurtling towards us. Realistically you shouldn't be grinding away in grad school or slaving at your job so your boss can afford another boat or stocking money away for a hypothetical retirement decades from now either. The entirety of discourse around parenting in the age of climate collapse can be boiled down to either "you're a selfish monster if you have kids right now" and "Every generation has had it's problems to deal with, I'm sure it'll be okay". I know the latter statement is nonsense so fine, I will accept the former. But after accepting it, then what? It's hard finding any discussion that explores the next steps after that without devolving into techno hopium. I've been meaning to check out this book, I've heard it's pretty good.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

bowser posted:

slaving at your job so your boss can afford another boat or stocking money away for a hypothetical retirement decades from now either.

What? Yes you should. And by should I mean well you know what other options does anyone have? Rationally, in some idealized world, no. But rationally in the real world this is absolutely correct because you cannot make any worthwhile determinations for when SHTF for you personally. Joblessness is a death sentence unto itself.

Unless you're emphasizing slaving in which case yeah that's dumb everyone should be doing the barest minimum to stay employed possible.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
there's a massive wheat shortage leading to pasta shortages and major price increase right now too lol

anyways earth can grow enough food to support 30 billion people, it's just a matter of distribution and planting more.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
When I slack off at work I feel bad, when I work hard and create even bigger piles of plastic waste I feel good.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Decades posted:

lmao owned

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LionArcher posted:

It's reminding me of a post Commiegir once made about the democractics. It started from 'well republicans are bad' and in a series of completely logical arguments ended with something very much like "I guess to do the most good we have to ban all criticism of democrats". It never was made a direct rule, but the thought process that ends with "we can't talk about how bad things will get and the insufficiency of any action in the allowed list because then someone might think about crimes" seems to be where a lot of posters in the thread want things to go.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Epitope posted:

When I slack off at work I feel bad, when I work hard and create even bigger piles of plastic waste I feel good.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

It's reminding me of a post Commiegir once made about the democractics. It started from 'well republicans are bad' and in a series of completely logical arguments ended with something very much like "I guess to do the most good we have to ban all criticism of democrats". It never was made a direct rule, but the thought process that ends with "we can't talk about how bad things will get and the insufficiency of any action in the allowed list because then someone might think about crimes" seems to be where a lot of posters in the thread want things to go.

Listen,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

It used to be that when you’d run a survey or do focus groups, and ask someone something about a politician they’d answer what they thought they thought more or less. But with the rise of social media, the decline of shared truths, and the engagement of politics as another consumer choice, the answers began to shift towards “what should I say”.

Everyone is a pundit now. Everyone shapes their responses to the message now. And that’s why frank discussions about the scale and scope of climate ruin is so unacceptable to liberals. They can’t respond to it and maintain their personal sense of justification, in the small slow victory of progress millimeter by millimeter even if we get set back a mile.

But climate can’t tolerate 50 years of slowly transforming politics. There isn’t a plan that runs through the current Democratic Party that actually meets their own tiny promises on climate.

So either we ban discussion to make it easier to remain a climate denier lite, or we have to accept that climate solutions can’t be achieved by Biden or Harris or Pelosi or any of our so called leadership and admit our leaders are climate deniers.