Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If I do add an ultrasonic mist thingy, I'll make sure I can adjust it as yeah, I can see how too much might trigger a drowning reflex.

That google doc looks great. I hope you get to finish your project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
You should be able to steal human factors design into from nebulizers to find the acceptable range of water vapor in a breath of air.

Likely you can just set the upper limit as what you would encounter on a 100% humidity day at the temp of the vape air you actually inhale.

I wonder how cold you can go before the thc condenses out...

E: I like weed. If you want some minor pro-bono engineering work shoot me a PM.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 7, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

And thus begins the goon mad weed scientists thread.

And I am here for it. :getin:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

fuctifino posted:

To balance out that embarrassingly nerdy post, have a picture of my cat, a few minutes after he came in and screamed for me to exhale in his general direction. He's started to appreciate his afternoon indicas now he's getting old.

What a good cat. Black cat avatar gang

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fuctifino posted:

mad weed science

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

more mad weed science

okay thank you both, good info. I'm sitting with Visio on my work laptop trying to plan it all out lol

there are $500+ industrial water chillers I'm seeing that claim to get down to 5c, but meh, they're just bigass metal boxes, I'd unironically rather have the cool light up peltiers and probably spend less doing it, and what a fun project

e. Also yes, great catte. My dog likes to come hang out with me when I'm using my system, I've never blown it at her or anything but she always sits next to me and extends her neck out and sniffs at it lol it's cute

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Code Jockey posted:

okay thank you both, good info. I'm sitting with Visio on my work laptop trying to plan it all out lol

there are $500+ industrial water chillers I'm seeing that claim to get down to 5c, but meh, they're just bigass metal boxes, I'd unironically rather have the cool light up peltiers and probably spend less doing it, and what a fun project

I may end up trying to design a fractionator for weed smoke lmao.

E:Weedog

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 7, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

My dog likes to come hang out with me when I'm using my system, I've never blown it at her or anything but she always sits next to me and extends her neck out and sniffs at it lol it's cute

Bow is a little forceful. If I don't blow it in his direction, he gets closer and closer until I get the hint... screaming the entire time.

e: Found a video of him, though surprisingly not screaming in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmXPmuxAtU

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 7, 2021

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fuctifino posted:

Bow is a little forceful. If I don't blow it in his direction, he gets closer and closer until I get the hint... screaming the entire time.

e: Found a video of him, though surprisingly not screaming in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmXPmuxAtU&t=39s

lmao your cat owns I love him

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I may end up trying to design a fractionator for weed smoke lmao.

E:Weedog

just put a down payment on these bad boys

Gonna have to give 'em a spray down to get rid of whatever's in there now, but imagine how smooth it'll be

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

You should be able to steal human factors design into from nebulizers to find the acceptable range of water vapor in a breath of air.

Likely you can just set the upper limit as what you would encounter on a 100% humidity day at the temp of the vape air you actually inhale.

I wonder how cold you can go before the thc condenses out...

E: I like weed. If you want some minor pro-bono engineering work shoot me a PM.

Imagine if it does freeze out. The THC snow collecting somewhere in the bong. A substance beyond kief :350:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Re: sub zero vaping, a random redditor said that it was dangerous using ice in bongs, and that sub zero vaping is going to cause serious lung issues due to the humidity. I asked them if they had any scientific evidence to back up that claim, but they never got back to me. I've googled hard, and I've seen various pages claim that ice bongs can give you bronchitis and other serious lung issues... but none of them back up their claims either.

People have jobs where they walk in and out -20C freezers all the time, and in and out of very humid work environments. I've lived and worked in Scandinavia, and have experienced -40C between getting out of warm vehicles and entering warm buildings. None of that gave me lung issues or bronchitis.

There aren't any real risks are there?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I've never seen anything conclusive. Anecdotally ice bongs have never given me a problem but I also don't use them all the time.

By the time it's in your mouth and throat I doubt it's still freezing anyway, just colder than it would be otherwise. Though with your setup it pretty far past the basic ice bong.

Either way inhaling anything too hot or too cold can cause damage so its something to keep in mind at least.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Yeah, everything that I've discovered seems to be just anecdotal stories and claims. I guess if there were any real serious risks, there would also be evidence to back those risks up. I'm not going to inhale massively cold air, but I've spent enough time in Gällivare in winter to know that a few inhalations of super cold air won't kill me.

My current rig goes down to a max of about -1.5C, and that's the temperature of the glass which is conducting the temperature of the vodka travelling through it, not the air travelling through the twisty tube up the middle,... so my rig is similar to vaping out of a distillation tube/bong made out of ice I guess?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
🤔

https://forums.evga.com/DIY-low-cost-subzero-chiller-for-benchmarking-m2951571.aspx

The setup looks real messy but as summer heat dies down I bet a lot of window a/c units could be had cheap

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Just had a sour after months of non-diesel stuff, and oh my god the terpenes, the terpenes

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

I mean the worst case scenario is you end up as a research study. But I would think that if inhaling cold humid air like that, many northern countries would have serious issues with breathing during winter.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I got this sugar plum sunset weed and it smells like baby poo poo. What terpene is that?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Borneol.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Zil posted:

I mean the worst case scenario is you end up as a research study. But I would think that if inhaling cold humid air like that, many northern countries would have serious issues with breathing during winter.
Cold outside air will be very dry, though, right?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It would, but I was thinking about work environments in humid conditions where people have to then keep walking in and out of freezers. Commercial kitchens would be a good example of that.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My only experience with northern winters is Boston and that was some humid cold, so I am more than happy to be wrong about what its like elsewhere.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Zil posted:

My only experience with northern winters is Boston and that was some humid cold, so I am more than happy to be wrong about what its like elsewhere.

Generally if it is cold enough the moisture in the air turns into snow or ice which is why it's incredibly dry. Antarctica is actually the driest place on earth despite being covered in snow and surrounded by ocean

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got some wedding cake for the first time ever and it felt FANTASTIC when I smoked it. That's all!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

redreader posted:

I just got some wedding cake for the first time ever and it felt FANTASTIC when I smoked it. That's all!

It's loving lovely, isn't it? If you like that, and have never tried Ice Cream Cake, it's one to keep an eye out for.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

redreader posted:

fuctifino posted:

It's loving lovely, isn't it? If you like that, and have never tried Ice Cream Cake, it's one to keep an eye out for.

Never tried either! Thanks, I know I've seen them at my favorite shop, I'll pick up some carts on my way back.

I really like my Sour Diesel cart, tastes nice, does the trick. Someone recommend me a sativa that will just liquify my brain please

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I like Super Lemon Haze.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bong update:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got some AK-47, Sour Patch kids and Chiesel along with the Wedding Cake. I've had each once apart from the SPK, and so far:

-chiesel was nice, and made me VERY hungry.
-Wedding cake made me feel fantastic.
-AK-47 was nice but nothing special. Maybe when I have it again I'll figure out how it made me feel.

This is all from smoking. My fury edge arrives tomorrow evening so hopefully I can get properly baked soon, I hate rolling joints and it doesn't burn well without tobacco, which I don't smoke. I also bought a medium santa cruz shredder (with no kief stealer) off amazon and it's loving TINY. But, whatever I suppose.

my joint rolling technique:

1: tear off a strip of business card and roll it up to use as a 'filter'
2: fold the joint lengthwise so that 1/4 of it is folded over to the halfway seam (making there be a fold 3/4 of the way along the width, lengthwise)
3: wet your finger and run it along the fold, then tear. Now you have a thinner piece of paper.
4: do similar so that the joint will also be shorter. Now you have a 2/3rds size piece of paper with the same dimensions.
5: grind or process your weed with your fingers (the word where I'm from is 'mull' i.e. 'mull the weed' ) so it's fairly fine, no clumps.
6: try to roll it, but the bit you're trying to roll doesn't go in, it goes along the other side of the paper. Try like 10 times. Help it along by curling it. Carry on trying
7: finally you have a very thin joint that you can smoke all at once and won't send you to space. Also it's not 3/4 paper because you got rid of some paper. smoke it. if it's tight enough it should stay lit between drags.

Hopefully I'll never have to use this knowledge again because vaping >>>>> smoking.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

It's good. But does it play Vanilla Ice's classic "Ice Ice Baby" when it reaches temperature and then switch to Under Pressure when you draw?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

fuctifino posted:

Bong update:

Years from now this thing is going to be roaming around your house on a Boston Dynamics base so you can summon the bong to wherever you're at.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

You can't go wrong with Super Lemon Haze imo. It's a great wake-up morning strain.

Sedgr posted:

It's good. But does it play Vanilla Ice's classic "Ice Ice Baby" when it reaches temperature and then switch to Under Pressure when you draw?

I'm planning on having fluid motion sensors, so yes, it's entirely possible. I'm going to have a display on there too, probably a small 3.5" touch screen that I have in another currently unused Pi project. If not a full display, then at least a 4 line OLED status display. I can also install some small stereo speakers that I have lying around.

The main idea for the Pi is to have a poo poo load of temperature and motion sensors monitoring and controlling the entire rig, and I want to install a couple of relay circuits to control the peltier modules, as well as maybe a variable voltage thingy to control the pump and fan. I'd like to be able to set a temperature, as well as have a few safety features and timer features.

I also like the idea of turning on the bong from the bedroom using a smart plug, and monitoring the cooling down process from the bed, and then judging when it's the right time to step out and take my morning dose.

So many ideas.... lol....

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

2022 Highnet comes online and becomes self aware. Now terminator robo bongs stalk us everywhere, never stopping, never letting us rest. Everyone is soooo baked.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sedgr posted:

2022 Highnet comes online and becomes self aware. Now terminator robo bongs stalk us everywhere, never stopping, never letting us rest. Everyone is soooo baked.

gently caress it. Yup. Full screen and speakers. I'm going to eventually give my bong a face and a personality.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

fuctifino posted:

gently caress it. Yup. Full screen and speakers. I'm going to eventually give my bong a face and a personality.

Johnny five is high

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Only sativa i can recommend for melty brain is Tangie/Tangerine Dream

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

fuctifino posted:

I am delighted

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fuctifino posted:

I don't have a lot of heroes in this world, but

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Also I would absolutely kill for like, even a basic diagram of how all of this is set up, I cannot wait to be home to gently caress with my setup, your pictures are so inspiring lol

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

fuctifino posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao classic

Also thanks everyone for your strain reports! A lot cheaper way to know this info than buying a pile of carts!