Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

idk even Super Metroid and Zero Mission were pretty linear games too if you didn't have prior knowledge of the maps and advanced techniques, and Super did the "one-way paths" thing plenty. I can't think of any situation in Metroid besides maybe the first one where the games went "okay here are multiple objectives, you can go after them in any order you want." That's more of a Hollow Knight thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my ~local store~ said they'd sell it at 8 PST hopefully i can snag un

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
If you finish the game at only 52% completion, could it be that it felt more linear because you went straight for the main objectives?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

granted, i haven't played the game but getting 52% completion sounds kinda like buzzing from main point to main point. a lot of the non-linear parts of the game come from going for 100% or exploiting skips.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

METROID

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
On the other hand, it could also mean he was disinterested in the exploration because it wasn't appealing enough.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

granted, i haven't played the game but getting 52% completion sounds kinda like buzzing from main point to main point. a lot of the non-linear parts of the game come from going for 100% or exploiting skips.

I mean the same could be said for Fusion but people dig it for being linear

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Long shot, but in case anyone else got an early copy:
Where the hell do I go after getting the Speed Booster? I feel like I've revisited everywhere and I can't figure out where I'm supposed to go next.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wow only 88% on metacritic? ...game must bad going to have to cancel my preorder

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the same could be said for Fusion but people dig it for being linear

yeah, i dont think fusion is all that linear!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fusion is pretty on rails until you get the screw attack and ADAM just lets you go wherever you want while it waits for you to hit the Time To End The Game button.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

fadam posted:

Long shot, but in case anyone else got an early copy:
Where the hell do I go after getting the Speed Booster? I feel like I've revisited everywhere and I can't figure out where I'm supposed to go next.

To the right of the area you got that power up is where you should be headed next.

In more detail In the room just to the right of the yellow save room in Dairon at the far right of the map; there will be orange cracked blocks above you that can be broken with a shinespark. That will take you to the yellow teleporter that leads to Artaria. From there go to the top left of that big room, where there will be more speed blocks on the left wall. Break through, you'll be on the way to your next upgrade

Saintv77 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 7, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't really care about sequence breaking stuff, and I was fine in other Metroids going down the primary path.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Saintv77 posted:

To the right of the area you got that power up is where you should be headed next.

In more detail In the room just to the right of the yellow save room in Dairon at the far right of the map; there will be orange cracked blocks above you that can be broken with a shinespark. That will take you to the yellow teleporter that leads to Artaria. From there go to the top left of that big room, where there will be more speed blocks on the left wall. Break through, you'll be on the way to your next upgrade

Thanks king

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I just started playing but I'm just gonna put this spoilerific prediction here. You are TOTALLY controlling the X parasite at the start and not the actual Samus. Calling it now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For the procrastinators like myself, what's the best chance of getting a physical copy? Will Walmart and target add it for pickup at a certain time? Not sure I'm too interested in braving a cold visit without knowing they have stock.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I think this is the first time I've ever ragequit a game based on an event that happens 3 minutes in. Whoever the chucklefuck is who decided to turn Metroid into some lovely 1991 Dragon's Lair QTE with instant game-over can eat my balls and I'm glad this leaked before I paid for it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

when game unlock

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MrTheDevious posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever ragequit a game based on an event that happens 3 minutes in. Whoever the chucklefuck is who decided to turn Metroid into some lovely 1991 Dragon's Lair QTE with instant game-over can eat my balls and I'm glad this leaked before I paid for it

Source your quotes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

:bandwagon:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fuligin posted:

when game unlock

12am eastern time (9pm pacific)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Augus posted:

12am eastern time (9pm pacific)

aww yeahh cant believe i get to Dread tonight

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

MrTheDevious posted:

who knows where this is from but this legitimately makes me want to buy the game tonight

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

does walmart stock up when they open? likeone near me opens at 6 and if i can in before like 7 then head to work thats great

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So... no Other M poo poo in the story? Doesn't get weird with Samus?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So if the game unlocks 3ish hours from now, I can just purchase it on the switch store right? Then I can enjoy my Dread? I'm trying not to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, cause they make simple things way too hard all the time.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
ADAM is in it, but mostly just giving updates. Also graciously gives me permission to destroy the murderbots after I already killed two of them, like I didn’t need his permission in the first place.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Fuligin posted:

when game unlock

like yesterday going by this thread

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

So if the game unlocks 3ish hours from now, I can just purchase it on the switch store right? Then I can enjoy my Dread? I'm trying not to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, cause they make simple things way too hard all the time.

yup, I buy all my switch games digital and it's completely painless. buy it now and it will preload and be good to go

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 8, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Has switch made family sharing of digital any good yet? I'd love to get the digital but want my kids to be able to play too on their switches.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

Has switch made family sharing of digital any good yet? I'd love to get the digital but want my kids to be able to play too on their switches.

It works, but only the primary profile can play the game on the non-primary Switch. You are better off going physical if you have more than one Switch and different profiles for different saves.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Alright folks this is my most anticipated game in nearly 20 years and being a brand new title I want to go in blind. The only problem is that while my copy is coming tomorrow I won't have time to play it for a couple of weeks. So, goodnight Metroid thread.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
HEAVENS TO METROIDS~