Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You know you won't get updates right? Doesn't matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

AlexDeGruven posted:

The hacked MCT generator seems to have worked (no TPM and a 1700) for me.

Installer, after a big scary warning, is chugging along.

A Ryzen 1700? I've got a 1600 on a Prime B350 motherboard by Asus. They pushed out a new BIOS version last week I think it was specifically for Win11 that turned on TPM and I think Secure Boot (not 100% on that one though). My install went through without a single hiccup.

I'd check for a BIOS Update for your motherboard, rather than messing around with that hack thing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

You know you won't get updates right? Doesn't matter?

You absolutely will get updates, at this moment, it doesn't matter whether you disabled the eligibility check.

There's also no need to download a "hacked" anything. Just delete the appraiserres.dll or create the registry entries that disable the check in the installation environment.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

You absolutely will get updates, at this moment, it doesn't matter whether you disabled the eligibility check.

There's also no need to download a "hacked" anything. Just delete the appraiserres.dll or create the registry entries that disable the check in the installation environment.

Oh ok, so you know better.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Yes, I do know better. You might not get updates at some point in the future, but I'd bet they won't enforce those rules until Windows 12. What we do know now is that you absolutely will get updates just like everybody else.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...09-ef0a331518f1 is wrong eh.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You will get updates, you're just not guaranteed anything. Why is that so hard to understand for you?

It's highly unlikely they'll suddenly decide to hard-enforce their eligibility requirements soon. Otherwise, they would have done so for Windows 11 and not built in registry keys to skip these checks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Koskun posted:

A Ryzen 1700? I've got a 1600 on a Prime B350 motherboard by Asus. They pushed out a new BIOS version last week I think it was specifically for Win11 that turned on TPM and I think Secure Boot (not 100% on that one though). My install went through without a single hiccup.

I'd check for a BIOS Update for your motherboard, rather than messing around with that hack thing.

Hmm, I'll have to check and see what gigabyte says.

The checkup tool threw a yellow for the tpm, but red for the Ryzen 1700. Using the cmd script bypassed all of that and let me install just fine.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That CPU has a fTPM I'm pretty sure, you just need to enable it in the Bios.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

redeyes posted:

Yikes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

redeyes posted:

I can always roll back to 10 either through my image based backup or the restore old version option if that becomes the case, however unlikely (MS have the ability to bypass TPM to OEMs, so we know how m they actually care about it).

But you go ahead and be a sea lioning dick if that makes you feel better. I won't stand in your way there.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

AlexDeGruven posted:

But you go ahead and be a sea lioning dick

What in the world is “sea lioning?” Is it like “gaslighting,” “dog whistling,” “virtue signaling?” Or is it just terms to sound like moral superiority over commies & chuds depending on who is losing the debate at the moment? (edit: not a slap of either one of you two, personally; I’m behind the times because I don’t go on Twitter and haven’t logged into Facebook in a few years.)

I can’t find my Urban Dictionary app for my iPhone so I’m not able to search :shrug:

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 7, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you have an "Urban Dictionary" app, lmao. Urban Dictionary is a garbage site where everybody can post whatever they want, it has zero relevance to anything.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You could just Google sealioning since it's literally the first result

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fame Douglas posted:

Why would you have an "Urban Dictionary" app, lmao. Urban Dictionary is a garbage site where everybody can post whatever they want, it has zero relevance to anything.

Mainly for exactly the situation I find myself in at this moment: Looking up slang like “thicc” or “neocon” or “gaslighting.”

Words you see used only on the internet between groups of people to score points on the “other side.” It takes a little while to get into the Webster’s app, plus the UD App can have both very detailed to lmao-definitions of the new phrase and ways to use them correctly. Nobody I communicate with daily/weekly uses these words, so I have to look ‘em up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

The Merkinman posted:

Surely this time the new version of Windows is so bad that people will switch to Linux.
I did my regular check up of the state of things, this time I spun up a VM to check how fractional scaling works, because me and my 28" 4K displays, and it was a complete clusterfuck. And that's where I stopped. I'm sure NVidia downclocking is still bugged to poo poo. Last year, it still turned my card into a room heater during idle, and I'm fairly certain it still would nowadays.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

site posted:

You could just Google sealioning since it's literally the first result

I learned in 2000 not to ask Google for anything I read on this gay, dead website. I’m probably on sooooo many lists…
:gonk:

edit: That cartoon is great!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Display scaling (especially handling displays connecting and disconnecting) and piss-poor Bluetooth audio support are sort of the hallmarks of a Windows OS at this point

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Mainly for exactly the situation I find myself in at this moment: Looking up slang like “thicc” or “neocon” or “gaslighting.”

Words you see used only on the internet between groups of people to score points on the “other side.” It takes a little while to get into the Webster’s app, plus the UD App can have both very detailed to lmao-definitions of the new phrase and ways to use them correctly. Nobody I communicate with daily/weekly uses these words, so I have to look ‘em up.

:confused: Is this a bit? Just type it into the search bar on your home screen and let Google take care of it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Display scaling (especially handling displays connecting and disconnecting) and piss-poor Bluetooth audio support are sort of the hallmarks of a Windows OS at this point

The display thing I'm definitely aware of, but have mostly dodged myself even when running dual monitors. The Bluetooth thing I do have to admit got a lot better in the last couple years, and Windows 10 generally handles Bluetooth reasonably well. It still has quirks, but nothing like the threaten-to-throw-the-machine-out-the-window frustrating poo poo that was Bluetooth on Windows 7.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, well, I'm using HiDPI on Windows got a few months now, and it works relatively flawlessly. Maybe I'm not using old enough apps anymore.

Meanwhile my attempts at testing it in Ubuntu failed hilariously. It rounded up to the next full multiplicator, and sometimes applied it twice. What was supposed to be 150% ended up with 200% titlebars and 400% window content (not every app for whatever reason, they were all GTK apps). On a fresh install from scratch.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:confused: Is this a bit? Just type it into the search bar on your home screen and let Google take care of it.

I wish. I don’t really fear to look up something on Google (I’ve been goatse’d and Rick Rolled for decades now), but I really just like to get why a word or phrase I don’t recognize is used. The person using the phrase will often explain not only the generalized use, but the specific way they are using it in the conversation I’m reading. Doesn’t seem to be more prevalent on either “side” of anything discussed online, and frankly, I enjoy the context more than a dry Google search or Webster’s definition 😳.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 7, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, well, I'm using HiDPI on Windows got a few months now, and it works relatively flawlessly. Maybe I'm not using old enough apps anymore.

Meanwhile my attempts at testing it in Ubuntu failed hilariously. It rounded up to the next full multiplicator, and sometimes applied it twice. What was supposed to be 150% ended up with 200% titlebars and 400% window content (not every app for whatever reason, they were all GTK apps). On a fresh install from scratch.

Ah, I glossed over the scaling part, partly because I tend to put it to 100% even when it means text and such is small. My work laptop (running Windows) wants to be at 125% but I force it to 100% because I always use a external monitor as primary display and treat the laptop screen as rarely-used secondary.

Linux scaling in my experience is indeed worse than Windows, but since I generally avoid it (the scaling, not the Linux) it's not really been a problem for me in quite a while.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cool windows 11 bug, sharing my screen causes my microphone to stop working.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright folks. As a general guideline, let's all ask ourselves "does this post make the thread obnoxious to read" before posting.

redeyes posted:

Post better. Please.

DerekSmartymans posted:

What in the world is “sea lioning?” Is it like “gaslighting,” “dog whistling,” “virtue signaling?” Or is it just terms to sound like moral superiority over commies & chuds depending on who is losing the debate at the moment? (edit: not a slap of either one of you two, personally; I’m behind the times because I don’t go on Twitter and haven’t logged into Facebook in a few years.)

I can’t find my Urban Dictionary app for my iPhone so I’m not able to search :shrug:

Come on. If I can't tell if you're being really dense or just trolling, I am going to assume the later. We all have Google here, we can try using it and then posing questions.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Actually Im honestly questioning whether somehow people know more than what MS themselves publish AND with literally no history to know. I remain skeptical until proven wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

redeyes posted:

Actually Im honestly questioning whether somehow people know more than what MS themselves publish AND with literally no history to know. I remain skeptical until proven wrong.

Dig up, not down. Its time to give up on this one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

Dig up, not down. Its time to give up on this one.

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright folks. As a general guideline, let's all ask ourselves "does this post make the thread obnoxious to read" before posting.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So far, I don't mind the taskbar setup. I rarely hit the start button, anyway and typically hit winkey then start typing.

Call me what you will, but I also like the overall visual feel, bit I'm still on the fence about the rounded corners, at least since they don't round the corners of the actual screen like Macs do (unless I need to look closer next time I'm downstairs).

Everything seems good and snappy. Booting is just as fast, at least, as Win10 on my NVMe.

I look forward to being able to poke around this weekend and see how I like everything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
MS isn't going to blanket deny updates to old hardware, their whole thing with 10 has been to reduce the number of unpatched windows boxes to a bare minimum. They're not going to withhold updates out of perversity or to force people to buy new poo poo. They're saying it for like legal & PR protection.

My prediction for a force-installed 11 on unsupported hardware:

1. The future big update that turns HVCI to default on for everyone may not install until you do something to make it happen.

2. Future major "feature" updates -- which will be 1 per year in 11 -- won't auto-install themselves until much later in the cycle. Their testing rollout will all be on supported hardware, unsupported hardware will all get lumped in when MS says "seems good, deploy everywhere". (Some people might call this a pro, not a con.)

3. Finally, if updates to 11 have some major incompatibility with old hardware, MS won't give a poo poo about fixing it. If some old hardware turns out to have a crash bug with some future 11 patch they'll probably just blacklist the hardware. This is the least likely thing but might be the thing that really fucks someone over.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

MS isn't going to blanket deny updates to old hardware, their whole thing with 10 has been to reduce the number of unpatched windows boxes to a bare minimum. They're not going to withhold updates out of perversity or to force people to buy new poo poo. They're saying it for like legal & PR protection.

My prediction for a force-installed 11 on unsupported hardware:

1. The future big update that turns HVCI to default on for everyone may not install until you do something to make it happen.

2. Future major "feature" updates -- which will be 1 per year in 11 -- won't auto-install themselves until much later in the cycle. Their testing rollout will all be on supported hardware, unsupported hardware will all get lumped in when MS says "seems good, deploy everywhere". (Some people might call this a pro, not a con.)

3. Finally, if updates to 11 have some major incompatibility with old hardware, MS won't give a poo poo about fixing it. If some old hardware turns out to have a crash bug with some future 11 patch they'll probably just blacklist the hardware. This is the least likely thing but might be the thing that really fucks someone over.

This is part of Windows 11 that reminds me more of Vista than Windows 8 - putting out an OS that has stricter hardware requirements than the current release while the current release is still years away from EOL. It does sounds like Windows 11 runs better on "older" hardware than Vista did, but it still puts a damper on realistic adoption. The usability regressions remind me more of Windows 8, though.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Did a fresh install of Windows 11 on a machine today.
Had to laugh that Microsoft still doesn't ask what time zone you're in during the install so it ends up as Pacific.

During the setup you have the ability to pick a local account so you don't have to mess around with it like you did with 10.

Did run into an issue where the install didn't pick up on the digital license attached to the account that was logged into and had to dig to find the key used on the original install and got that all setup.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason Slack and Discord suddenly decided that if I maximize them, they're going to cover the taskbar. But only on my second screen. Also, for Discord, the middle caption button is still the maximize glyph rather than the restore one. WTF is going on? I can only assume some stupid Electron poo poo.

Edit: a reboot seems to have fixed it, at least for now.

hooah fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 8, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Internet Explorer posted:

If I can't tell if you're being really dense or just trolling, I am going to assume the later. We all have Google here, we can try using it and then posing questions.

Apologies all around. I am dense, though. You got that part right!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is part of Windows 11 that reminds me more of Vista than Windows 8 - putting out an OS that has stricter hardware requirements than the current release while the current release is still years away from EOL. It does sounds like Windows 11 runs better on "older" hardware than Vista did, but it still puts a damper on realistic adoption. The usability regressions remind me more of Windows 8, though.

That was not the problem with Vista.

Vista had much larger hardware requirements than XP, and manufacturers were afraid they were going to get stuck with a shitton of old hardware. So they convinced Microsoft to create the "Vista Capable" label for hardware that could run it, but with things like Aero Glass turned off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

That was not the problem with Vista.

Vista had much larger hardware requirements than XP, and manufacturers were afraid they were going to get stuck with a shitton of old hardware. So they convinced Microsoft to create the "Vista Capable" label for hardware that could run it, but with things like Aero Glass turned off.

I don't see how that contradicts what I said. :confused:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't see how that contradicts what I said. :confused:

I guess I read it that the published requirements were stricter but it ran fine on older hardware, which is what we're finding with 11 so far (I mean, come on, I know the line has to be drawn somewhere, but if an 8c 16t CPU at 3.6GHz isn't strong enough, that's a little crazy). Vista actually required a lot more horsepower than XP.

So we're probably on the same page, I'm just slow tonight.

Edit: my favorite thing with Vista is how so many people yelled "it broke my RAM!!!" because the aggressive prefetch actually used RAM and exposed a lot of bad sticks that were out there.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Microsoft also said free upgrades from 7 to 10 would on July 29, 2016, yet it still works today.

Even if windows update stopped working I doubt they would block downloading and installing the monthly cumulative update manually.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Perplx posted:

Microsoft also said free upgrades from 7 to 10 would on July 29, 2016, yet it still works today.

They also said there would be no Windows 11!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

They also said the Series X would be the last XBox. Who wants to take bets on that one?