Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fair, yeah, I wasn't responding to the larger debate, just that particular line. I kinda skim this thread sometimes because of all the speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pham Nuwen posted:

Although Asimov was a chemist, Demerzel probably would have been a regent, not a reagent :haw:

Ummmm...I blame autocorrect. :ohdear:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I doubt Apple licensed iRobotverse. Amazon made 7 seasons out of the Harry Bosch books and they cut out 2 major recurring characters from the series because they have to be licensed separately (Lincoin Lawyer which got its own movie already, just like i robot, and a supporting old girlfriend)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

I doubt Apple licensed iRobotverse. Amazon made 7 seasons out of the Harry Bosch books and they cut out 2 major recurring characters from the series because they have to be licensed separately (Lincoin Lawyer which got its own movie already, just like i robot, and a supporting old girlfriend)

lmao

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Officially renewed for season 2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

feedmyleg posted:

Officially renewed for season 2.

I wonder how much you need viewing wise to make it worth it for these platforms?
I work for a TV company and even I don't know anyone with Apple TV, nobody I know (even people super into Sci-Fi) have even HEARD of foundation.

Be interesting to hear how many people watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, the Apple TV+ numbers are not great. I'd imagine anything that's getting a decent amount of audience traction and critical success is going to be renewed at this point.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Season 2 can be nothing but Hologram Hari looking directly at the camera while he scolds the audience and at this point, I'd eat it right up.

This is good news.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If they want to save money, they can always cut down the Cleon plot.

All these steaming shows are essentially the US IT mega monopolies using their monopoly profile to subsidize low rating TV shows. Good news for TV lovers are bad news for everybody else.

I am still looking forward to the Amazon Gibson Peripheral show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Taear posted:

I wonder how much you need viewing wise to make it worth it for these platforms?
I work for a TV company and even I don't know anyone with Apple TV, nobody I know (even people super into Sci-Fi) have even HEARD of foundation.

Be interesting to hear how many people watch.

I know a few people who got Apple TV to watch Ted Lasso, which has definitely gotten at least some publicity.

There are a few Apple TV shows I've seen ads for on other places - definitely Foundation, Morning Show, and See. Foundation and See I've also seen billboards for in Manhattan.

In terms of online people, Foundation has been pretty heavily covered by both the AV Club and io9 - far more than either site covers See, Mythic Quest, or Servant, in terms of Apple TV's genre offerings.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They used to have a lot of ads for Apple TV stuff in the Toronto Subway, and they were all so cringy. The worst was by far that show about the game company or people playing D&D or something. Here's a conventionally handsome guy with a beard in modern clothes riding a dragon, don't you want to watch this show nerds??? I think that's Mythic Quest?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chairman Capone posted:

I know a few people who got Apple TV to watch Ted Lasso, which has definitely gotten at least some publicity.

There are a few Apple TV shows I've seen ads for on other places - definitely Foundation, Morning Show, and See. Foundation and See I've also seen billboards for in Manhattan.

In terms of online people, Foundation has been pretty heavily covered by both the AV Club and io9 - far more than either site covers See, Mythic Quest, or Servant, in terms of Apple TV's genre offerings.

Maybe in the US, I've not heard poo poo here in the UK.
Mythic Quest at least had adverts on buses (and we had a trailer for it here)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

feedmyleg posted:

Well, the Apple TV+ numbers are not great. I'd imagine anything that's getting a decent amount of audience traction and critical success is going to be renewed at this point.
Eight seasons, huh? I guess another scifi series that'll end on a cliffhanger.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Our only hope is that Clone Emperor Bezos XIV is a fan and picks it up once Apple TV+ goes away.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, well, he's not going to finish The Expanse either.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

If they want to save money, they can always cut down the Cleon plot.

All these steaming shows are essentially the US IT mega monopolies using their monopoly profile to subsidize low rating TV shows. Good news for TV lovers are bad news for everybody else.

I am still looking forward to the Amazon Gibson Peripheral show.

From what I gather, streaming companies also pay poo poo (for anyone but big names at least) compared to movies or TV, still treating it like it's some uncharted new medium that can't really be expected to be profitable right away.

If the IATSE gets their demands and streaming companies have to pay fair wages for labor, production costs will probably go up, and they might become less willing to burn money on shows with small audiences. Which you know, fine.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

twistedmentat posted:

They used to have a lot of ads for Apple TV stuff in the Toronto Subway, and they were all so cringy. The worst was by far that show about the game company or people playing D&D or something. Here's a conventionally handsome guy with a beard in modern clothes riding a dragon, don't you want to watch this show nerds??? I think that's Mythic Quest?

Mythic Quest was steaming hot poo poo, too, and I generally love the stuff that guy is involved with. Think Big Bang Theory only MMORPG and somehow less funny and even less realistic.

I can't wait til all the streaming services with like 2 good shows each all team up and just make us buy Cable 2.0 for $80 a month again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phenotype posted:

Mythic Quest was steaming hot poo poo, too, and I generally love the stuff that guy is involved with. Think Big Bang Theory only MMORPG and somehow less funny and even less realistic.

I can't wait til all the streaming services with like 2 good shows each all team up and just make us buy Cable 2.0 for $80 a month again.

It looked like they were trying to recreate Silicon Valley. Never watched Mythic Quest because I couldn't imagine anyone would be able to make that long-shot of a concept work and not be another cringe-fest like all the other "aol dot backslash am I right?" nerd/tech sitcoms until somehow lightning struck with SV

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phenotype posted:

Yea that's exactly what it looked like. At least BBT cast people that kinda look like actual nerds, this had your generically attractive white people cast as nerds and did nothing to appeal to its target market. I totally imagine its jokes are all "computer term" with response with "sex term" or something like that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So you didn't even watch the show and have determined that it's bad?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's more time efficient that way

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Once psychocriticism is invented, predicting whether to stick with a show will be cold, solid mathematics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

So you didn't even watch the show and have determined that it's bad?

Based on its marketing, yes. Unlike some people, I don't have that much free time to devout to watching anything and everything.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
the romance between gaal and raych is so awful. there was no character building to get you invested in these two, let alone to get to the point where you are excited about them getting together. then it felt like they just forced a million love scenes in to fill the run time of the episode.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just look at Raych's funny jacket..

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Raych seems like more of a robot than Demerzel does.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oof, came into the thread to see what people thought of the latest episode and instead am treated to hilariously poor takes on Mythic Quest by people who didn't watch the show. I'll just say, "Your loss." (Or just go watch episode 5 of season 1 and ignore the show altogether. It's OK, it's an amazing 36 minute long film completely disconnected from the rest of the show.)

Anyway, episode 4 of Foundation makes me kinda sad that this show just can't match the amazement that the first two episodes instilled in me. There's a good scene here and there, like the coin flipping Salvo and the sloppy mathematician, but I'm really not feeling a sense of interest without Jared Harris's presence. Are they really allowed to say that this show stars him when he's only in 2 episodes? Kinda lovely! Oh well, it's still a very pretty show even if the main plot thread is flopping around like a fish out of water.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 8, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blowdryer posted:

the romance between gaal and raych is so awful. there was no character building to get you invested in these two, let alone to get to the point where you are excited about them getting together. then it felt like they just forced a million love scenes in to fill the run time of the episode.

Also the relationship had zero believable chemistry which makes those romance scenes even more cringe

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's exactly what it looked like. At least BBT cast people that kinda look like actual nerds, this had your generically attractive white people cast as nerds and did nothing to appeal to its target market. I totally imagine its jokes are all "computer term" with response with "sex term" or something like that.

lol wtf. I don't know where to start with this, but it's pretty clear you didn't even look at the advertising properly if that's what you got out of the experience.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Episode 4 spoilers Can't wait to see what happens during Brother Day's impulsive visit to the end of the galaxy. It looked like his ship was unaccompanied by naval ships, which seems to defy all common sense, especially since he knows they have no naval ships stationed at the edge of the galaxy. The references to Salvor Hardin having a "destiny" continue to annoy me, but I feel like I won't know until the end of the season to see where they're going with it. It feels like the coincidental low-probability coin flips were intended to indicate that this was one of Hari Seldon's predictions, as if they were also "destiny". It feels like they're trying to graft Calvinian predestination religion onto Foundation, especially with the references to Hari Seldon playing the role of God.

In relation to the books, I would've liked to have seen the line about how if Anacreon doesn't colonize Terminus, then Thespis will, just because it echoes present-day excuses for anything bad the U.S. does in foreign policy, in place of the 9/11 storyline. I also liked the more diplomatically sneaky way in which they asked Terminus to pay tribute, and since they have nothing to offer, they can offer land.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Episode 4 I imagine that Brother Day is going to be killed in his little sojourn, leaving them with Brother Dusk and/or Brother Dawn having to rule in his stead. Brother Dusk will be vengeful and will only inflame the fires growing and his faculties waning as he gets on in his years. Then you also have Brother Dawn being completely obsessed with the gardener and with little practical experience in running the Empire.
Neither of them will be well-prepared to raise a new Brother Dawn as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

etalian posted:

Also the relationship had zero believable chemistry which makes those romance scenes even more cringe

On the other hand, that's some authentic Asimov characterization.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

On the other hand, that's some authentic Asimov characterization.

Where's the book spoiler text for this info?

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

galenanorth posted:

Episode 4 spoilers Can't wait to see what happens during Brother Day's impulsive visit to the end of the galaxy. It looked like his ship was unaccompanied by naval ships, which seems to defy all common sense, especially since he knows they have no naval ships stationed at the edge of the galaxy. The references to Salvor Hardin having a "destiny" continue to annoy me, but I feel like I won't know until the end of the season to see where they're going with it. It feels like the coincidental low-probability coin flips were intended to indicate that this was one of Hari Seldon's predictions, as if they were also "destiny". It feels like they're trying to graft Calvinian predestination religion onto Foundation, especially with the references to Hari Seldon playing the role of God.

Wasn't the point about the coin flip that this wasn't just chance and instead she got a certain result through "cheating"? That's why she is saying that the Anachreons aren't just by chance on Terminus, ie it isn't just a random event (or to quote her "repeated luck is never luck").

The big takeaway from this episode should be that Salvor is confirmed to have psychic abilities so let's see what they are going to do with that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LinkesAuge posted:

The big takeaway from this episode should be that Salvor is confirmed to have psychic abilities so let's see what they are going to do with that.

Yes that was my read as well on this. It also explains why she can tell if someone is lying and the weird visions. I also liked the distinction "I can tell if they're lying, I can't tell if they aren't telling the truth." which implies it's the intent she's actually picking up on. If someone says something they *believe* is true (but actually isn't) she won't twig to it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

LinkesAuge posted:

Wasn't the point about the coin flip that this wasn't just chance and instead she got a certain result through "cheating"? That's why she is saying that the Anachreons aren't just by chance on Terminus, ie it isn't just a random event (or to quote her "repeated luck is never luck").
(Episode 4 discussion) Oh, right. I rewatched the scene and see it now

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I love Lee Pace, he is such a dick

ep4 trip report The Empire GoT stuff is great. Brotha Pace dicking around; Brotha Dawn is a perv.

This Salvor Hardin stuff though, it's total bullshit. How many different magical ability she has now? Can enter the black box force field; can predict coin flip; can feel someone is lying a la counselor troi; also can feel the future? Where is this trope from? Dune? Anyway gently caress off with this "chosen one" bullshit Apple.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a shame there are so many ways you could expand the Nachreon and Thalys story instead of having long character vignettes. I would love to see the brothers actually do some ruling instead of farting around the palace or the yacht all day. I mean, the empire is supposed to be sliding towards collapse right? That sounds exciting maybe we should check in with that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I love Lee Pace, he is such a dick

ep4 trip report The Empire GoT stuff is great. Brotha Pace dicking around; Brotha Dawn is a perv.

This Salvor Hardin stuff though, it's total bullshit. How many different magical ability she has now? Can enter the black box force field; can predict coin flip; can feel someone is lying a la counselor troi; also can feel the future? Where is this trope from? Dune? Anyway gently caress off with this "chosen one" bullshit Apple.

I really didn't expect it, I thought Asimov's stuff was all hard science and logic and didn't have any froo froo magic abilities running around. That being said, I'm here for it and willing to see what they do with it. I don't know that it's all "different magical abilities", though, I'm willing to accept a generalized "psychicness" or whatever that makes her immune to the force field and gives her vague precognitive abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a shame there are so many ways you could expand the Nachreon and Thalys story instead of having long character vignettes. I would love to see the brothers actually do some ruling instead of farting around the palace or the yacht all day. I mean, the empire is supposed to be sliding towards collapse right? That sounds exciting maybe we should check in with that.

No I want to see more sexposition with Brotha Pace. There is no rating Apple, just show us the tits.

Also yell some fat Rome announcer guy to death.