Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

skipdogg posted:

Nope. Does anyone even know what change management done right looks like?
I reckon I seen my fair share. Happens on rare occasion. The last glimpse of sunset, a green flash shoots up into the sky. Some go their whole lives without ever seeing it. Some claim to have seen it who ain’t. And some say-

It signals when the first project manager to get change management right comes back from the dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

So awhile ago I posted that the company was hiring someone to have the same role as me and work besides me. Well, they finally started working and, uh... they come from a strictly actuarial background with minimum experience, skills, or training in what I do, but a lot of background in being an actuary like my supervisor and the rest of the team.

I don't think they hired my replacement. I think they hired a translator.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FrozenVent posted:

Has anyone ever seen change management done right?

Yeah, the second shift lead at the convenience store I worked at 20 years ago was a superstar at it. That change drawer was never off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

I'm moderately impressed with the POP change management procedures for infra at Comcast. I'm more surprised that I'm saying this about Comcast. But it was (probably still is) legitimately tight.

You can tell there was a time when it wasn't based on the occasional rack that look like someone tossed a cable grenade into it 10 years ago. But they've obviously course corrected and seem to have a very good system in place.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Been swamped recently and there are three other people ostensibly with the same role in my dept who haven’t done much to help as they’ve been committed for over a month to a “dept project.” I assumed it was putting together an end of the year presentation for upper management which shouldn’t take three people but they’re always demanding metrics so fine.

I got curious and took a peek at why they had been ignoring high priority requests, turns out it’s a vanity project to try to show off their design and creative skills. I don’t believe anyone had requested they make this but looks like a fun way to show off pictures of their pets.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

The last place I worked at was bought out by a private equity firm. The office was an open-plan converted warehouse with no offices, so on the day they started telling people they no longer had jobs, they would literally take them down one end of the space and tell them they were gone, then lead them back to their desk crying to grab their stuff, and then onto the next person. In full view of the entire office.

After the initial slash-and-burn they then just....forgot about redoing the structure. They got rid of my boss, then didn't put in anyone to be my manager, and finally said that I could pick who I wanted to manage me.

I quit on day 365

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I did have a good change management guy assigned to me but he left and his replacement just bombards me with status meetings when we've done literally nothing since the last one and the project is basically stuck in low gear anyway. I think he's got the approach of "if I have all the artefacts and all the meetings, the project must be going well".

The first guy was good because he'd go "well I've got other poo poo to do anyway" and to be fair he made much nicer powerpoint slides than I did.

E: this is like a change management project function, not one of the other two or three meanings.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
change management is basically degrees of less bad

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jumpsuit posted:

The last place I worked at was bought out by a private equity firm. The office was an open-plan converted warehouse with no offices, so on the day they started telling people they no longer had jobs, they would literally take them down one end of the space and tell them they were gone, then lead them back to their desk crying to grab their stuff, and then onto the next person. In full view of the entire office.

After the initial slash-and-burn they then just....forgot about redoing the structure. They got rid of my boss, then didn't put in anyone to be my manager, and finally said that I could pick who I wanted to manage me.

I quit on day 365

I worked at a place where they did layoffs at the end of Q3, which for us was end of October.

Halloween.

Where they encouraged everyone to dress up. People were waiting on line dressed as teletubbies and power rangers being told they were done after 15+ years by the HR director dressed as, I poo poo you not, the wicked witch of the west.

It was surreal and completely lacking in any sort of self awareness.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I've worked at other places where it was basically "That whole process sucked but but sure what else we could have done".

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think you're in the well. You've knocked a hole in one side of the well and you're digging sideways, and you're digging fast enough that when the pissing starts you'll be safe from it.

Update from digging sideways from the well.I've had a month off and spent 200+ hours playing Pathfinder:WotR. I have not got past act III as yet.

In more relevant news, my ex-manager has now also resigned(!!) and I have a interview for a lower level but paying nearly as much job next week. I have to wonder if my leaving was the reason he decided to leave too, or was I just another casualty and the stress he was putting me under was coming from higher than him. Along with one of the other senior people from the team who ALSO left this month. That's 3 people in 5 weeks.

I'm not sure if I'd want the new job should I be offered it - the commute is going to be slightly better, but not under an hour like I want. And starting from a low level and needing to work my way up or try for something equal to or higher than what I had, but maybe more stressful? Though I dug my well because of the manager, not because of the job itself, and now he's left it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lockback posted:

I worked at a place where they did layoffs at the end of Q3, which for us was end of October.

Halloween.

Where they encouraged everyone to dress up. People were waiting on line dressed as teletubbies and power rangers being told they were done after 15+ years by the HR director dressed as, I poo poo you not, the wicked witch of the west.

Lol I think that scenario was an office episode

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lockback posted:

Halloween.

Jesus christ...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol I think that scenario was an office episode

lol it most certainly was.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah you have to grade it on a curve.

I’ve at least been on projects where people give a poo poo about it. Not the “we need comms and training but otherwise we’re throwing our people to the wolves” change management, but real in the weeds adoption work. Even there though…

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh for sure, I've been in situations where it's something that is considered and even has a lot of effort put to it, but even in the good situations there's still a big gap between doing a lot of the right things and putting time effort and resources to it, and actually making the change process relatively easy or seamless

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lockback posted:

Halloween.

I'm 94% certain this was a Dilbert strip 20 years ago which later was also an Office episode as discussed above, lol

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
An eon ago, I was one of many contractors working at big bank HQ, and we were told we can wear Halloween costumes.

We all came in costumes that were easily removed, which we did by 11 am. Nobody wants to be a Pooh bear all day at a stuck up office, so we had our fun since the 3 or 4 of us were the only ones to dress up at all.

Except for one guy on the team who dressed as destro from GI Joe. Black leather outfit, wrist rockets, and full on painted his entire shaved head and face silver. He was unhappy when we changed

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Roundboy posted:

An eon ago, I was one of many contractors working at big bank HQ, and we were told we can wear Halloween costumes.

We all came in costumes that were easily removed, which we did by 11 am. Nobody wants to be a Pooh bear all day at a stuck up office, so we had our fun since the 3 or 4 of us were the only ones to dress up at all.

Except for one guy on the team who dressed as destro from GI Joe. Black leather outfit, wrist rockets, and full on painted his entire shaved head and face silver. He was unhappy when we changed

When I worked for a bank call center, they did something similar but I ended up being the only person on my team who dressed up. So I felt like a loving idiot for wearing my Shaun of the Dead costume to work when no on else on my team dressed up and only one person knew who I was (it was 2007 so it wasn't too far from the movie). I felt even more dumb for dressing up because it was clear that the only people getting costume awards or recognition from the activities people were friends of the people handing out the awards.

I did get one laugh though when a dude on my team said he thought my costume was Michael Douglas's character from Falling Down.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah you have to grade it on a curve.
Totally agree.

If you're successful at change management, you avoid being the scapegoat for the negative eventualities of the change while everyone smugly walks around saying how they could have done it better.

And that's the best case scenario.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Roundboy posted:

Counterpoint: he got to be Destro at work and no one could say poo poo to him about it.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
When I switched teams in my company a couple years ago it was in December. The new team told me that xx December was ugly sweater day for the team and everyone would be wearing one in the office that day.

It ended up being a joke and I was the only person wearing an ugly sweater that day.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MrLogan posted:

When I switched teams in my company a couple years ago it was in December. The new team told me that xx December was ugly sweater day for the team and everyone would be wearing one in the office that day.

It ended up being a joke and I was the only person wearing an ugly sweater that day.

That's actually pretty awesome.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I would have owned it and wore the sweater every day for the next two weeks so the team starts thinking they were dicks and made fun of my normal clothes

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Friends I need some perspective. I’ve been at my company for three years, after two years of hard work and buttkissing I got promoted to senior proposal manager (I had two years of previous experience as well). Everyone on my team was promoted from within to senior after a few years, up until now. We just hired a new senior…someone that was previously an admin with the company with no proposal experience at all. Am I being a total bitch that I am salty about this? I just can’t fathom how someone can do this job at the level I do with no experience. I have talked with a few coworkers, one was absolutely livid and one was like “well, she knows the business.” To me that is irrelevant! Our business isn’t complicated, to me I think you need to actually know how to write a compelling and responsive proposal…should I just get over it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

without knowing any specifics, bluntly, yes. your choices are to get over it and stay at your job or get over it by finding a new job.

most internally promoted people vastly overestimate the degree of difficulty and complexity of their jobs. this one is a little less cut and dried to me because the person was technically an internal promotion but like - you actually have no idea whether this person can do the job or not. maybe they kick your rear end.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I guess we’ll see!

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Titles are free and you presumably don't know what the person is paid either. It's also unclear if the person's failure will impact you.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just started a new job a couple weeks ago and didn't realize I'd be a manager. Now I have to write a job description for the team I'm going to hire. This is weird!

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

cum jabbar posted:

I just started a new job a couple weeks ago and didn't realize I'd be a manager. Now I have to write a job description for the team I'm going to hire. This is weird!

Not to be snarky, but how the hell does this not come up in the screening or interview process?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

remigious posted:

Friends I need some perspective. I’ve been at my company for three years, after two years of hard work and buttkissing I got promoted to senior proposal manager (I had two years of previous experience as well). Everyone on my team was promoted from within to senior after a few years, up until now. We just hired a new senior…someone that was previously an admin with the company with no proposal experience at all. Am I being a total bitch that I am salty about this? I just can’t fathom how someone can do this job at the level I do with no experience. I have talked with a few coworkers, one was absolutely livid and one was like “well, she knows the business.” To me that is irrelevant! Our business isn’t complicated, to me I think you need to actually know how to write a compelling and responsive proposal…should I just get over it?

Yea this doesnt sound like it affects you at all unless they create more work for you, which you don't allege. Even then, get over the title aspect of it and (politely) deal with the behavior that needs to change. People rotate into positions for reasons that arent transparent to you and are totally legit.

Also recognition of reliable, hard work is the source of maybe 25% of promotions. So if you think youre getting promotions that way, reconsider that thought given this new evidence.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That admin might have been doing stretch assignments and extra hours to skillup and prove they can do that job. So along with "comparison is the killer of happiness" there's also the unknown of how much outside the job work they did to qualify.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smithwick posted:

Not to be snarky, but how the hell does this not come up in the screening or interview process?

It came up like "would you be willing to lead a team?" in the interviews. I said I could give it a shot if I had to. Otherwise, I had 3 interviews that mainly consisted of me telling them how great I am at everything while they nodded vigorously. It all felt too easy!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cum jabbar posted:

It all felt too easy!

And now you know why!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Also recognition of reliable, hard work is the source of maybe 25% of promotions..

You're missing a decimal point there, it's more like 2.5%

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 9, 2021

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Thanks guys, sorry for being a butt. If she sucks it will create more work for me, but I should give her a chance first.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cum jabbar posted:

I take it you've been a manager before though, right?

Hiring an outside person that hasnt had to hire, manage and fire people, to be a manager AND staff a team is an absurdly bad idea. Like...I have a hard time imagining a company making that bad of decisions unless you're hiring temp workers to canvas petitions or something.

I was an IC that started a company and I know several other ICs that have done the same and let me tell you there are many hard won lessons that first year as a manager trying to build a team.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You're missing a decimal point there, it's more like 2.5%

Yea TBH I felt like 25% was too high.

So somewhere between 2.5% and 25%.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 9, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's pretty close to zero. Unless you're including "promotions" on paper only, i.e. Ranch Hand to Senior Ranch Hand with no meaningful change in job description and a 6% raise one year instead of 3%

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's pretty close to zero. Unless you're including "promotions" on paper only, i.e. Ranch Hand to Senior Ranch Hand with no meaningful change in job description and a 6% raise one year instead of 3%

There are different kinds?!?!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I always forget admins have access to their higher ups emails which means they probably have more immediate knowledge of how they’d handle sensitive situations than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A senior admins quitting move at my first job was to accidentally leak everyones salaries. And at another I saw the admin "keep forgetting" to schedule or forward meetings or even buy business tickets for someone she fukken hated until that person quit.

I suck up to all admins