Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Hub Dirt posted:

Any other recommendations for Fall time backyard sippers that aren't one of the 400+ Octoberfests? My heart broke when Victory stopped brewing Moonglow and now it looks like Bell's Best Brown is gone as well. Celebration is like the only beer I get to look forward to now.
v Sorry, South East Pa.

Troegenator always hits the spot for me. Do they still package it in tall boys? Haven't seen them in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuddenlyAri
Feb 24, 2019

Tinfoil Hat Society
Nyx Destroyer

actionjackson posted:

oh yeah you're right, pretty sure it's the same font.

for stoneface, those fruited wild ales look pretty cool

Everything they make is fantastic. If you're ever in the New England area highly recommend checking them out.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I got a growler of Three Heads the other day, tried the Mackinack Wet Hop IPA

Definitely recommend

Sup' fellow Rochester Beer Goon.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

atothesquiz posted:

Sup' fellow Rochester Beer Goon.

Sup! Actually went back to 3HB yesterday and got two different NEIPAs.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Since someone else is over there - what’s your thoughts on Other Half?

On one hand if you’re into hop forward NEIPA and you want to go full Nelson then they’ve got it. On the other hand there are 25 options at the tap room with many of them just indiscernible.

I want to like them but I’m just not finding much excitement to try new releases.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Same boat as you, they were exciting when NEIPAs were the hot new thing but they're all fairly interchangeable now. Last time I was there (a few years back) they had an imperial stout on tap that was really tasty.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Are any three competently made NEIPAs distinguishable from each other, ever?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Weirdly the two I had on Sunday, one was clean and one was sort of hazy. Both tasty tho

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Brawnfire posted:

Weirdly the two I had on Sunday, one was clean and one was sort of hazy. Both tasty tho

I'm curious what a "clean" NEIPA is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Not hazy

Or rather not nearly as hazy

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Brawnfire posted:

Not hazy

Or rather not nearly as hazy

So... not a NEIPA? Isn't haze inherent in that style?

I know categorization in beer is a crapshoot at best, but once you start getting away from core characteristics then it feels like a brewery marketing the style for sales rather than actually being descriptive about what it is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I can really only go off what the brewery tells me unfortunately, I got two beers labeled NEIPA and one was hazier than the other

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Other Half has so many beers that are the same , including oatmeal cream ales that have the same body and mouthfeel as their NEIPA.

They’ve replaced singlecut over here though at the hot one. If they can drop a session like Some Cat From Japan it’ll be on it.

Still easier to get than Mortalis.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I actually went back and re-checked https://threeheadsbrewing.com/beers/ and the two beers I had were actually the "Ha Ha Nelson NEIPA" and "Talus Man Hazy IPA"

So that explains that, sorry! I guess I got pretty buzzed

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Kaiho posted:

Are any three competently made NEIPAs distinguishable from each other, ever?

If they switch the hops up yeah but I’ll be damned if I can tell one citra NEIPA from another, unless one’s just flat out bad.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

danbanana posted:

So... not a NEIPA? Isn't haze inherent in that style?

I know categorization in beer is a crapshoot at best, but once you start getting away from core characteristics then it feels like a brewery marketing the style for sales rather than actually being descriptive about what it is.

Haze yes, to an extent, but I don't know without seeing what the two beers looked like. Like, Sip of Sunshine (my favourite ever NEIPA) isn't clear, but it's nowhere near the opaque monstrosity that the likes of Other Half put out.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

If they switch the hops up yeah but I’ll be damned if I can tell one citra NEIPA from another, unless one’s just flat out bad.

That's what I meant. Even if the hops are nominally different unless it's the same brewery it'll be hard to tell.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I like Other Half but I haven't had much besides their collaboration beers lately because I've been taking a bit of a break from NEIPAs.

Anyone have any Marzen recommendations? I kinda skipped out on Oktoberfest entirely but now I'm starting to regret it. Think I'm gonna go pick up some 'wurst and pretzel buns.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I like Other Half but I haven't had much besides their collaboration beers lately because I've been taking a bit of a break from NEIPAs.

Anyone have any Marzen recommendations? I kinda skipped out on Oktoberfest entirely but now I'm starting to regret it. Think I'm gonna go pick up some 'wurst and pretzel buns.

Location?

Out of the wide distro ones can't go wrong with the German marzen/festbiers like Hacker-Pschorr, Ayinger, Weihenstephan

National US distro: SN, Bells, Sam Adams

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drat, I wish I could hide this thread until at least late afternoon

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Brawnfire posted:

drat, I wish I could hide this thread until at least late afternoon

It’s late afternoon somewhere

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I think Hamburg makes it your way , they have a good octoberfest, thin man has a few styles

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

did ours make it up there? we finally made a batch where something didn't go horribly wrong (brewer error, glycol, etc) and it's actually not bad. bingo's is pretty good, too, but i doubt they get to nova. can't think of any other good virginia examples, unfortunately, but if victory or union make it that far south, they're really good. alesmith and green flash were both pretty good this year, but if they're your best american options i'd just stick with the germans.

added: op is in northern virginia

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 6, 2021

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

COPPER LEGEND (jacks abby) is GOLD STANDARD

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just finished a 2013 BCBS barleywine and it's probably the best barleywine I've had in a decade, easily

Was my last one too ;_;

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I normally do not drink barleywines, but that one is on point.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Barleywines are my wife's favorite style but goddamn she gets twisted off one

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Man, TreeHouse has really accelerated their Lager program. I’d say they’ve got a minimum of a dozen lagers going at all times now ranging from good to great. I’m drinking their Marzen right now and it’s good if a little sweet. Their festbier was on point.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
lol remember brut IPAs?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

sporkstand posted:

lol remember brut IPAs?

Cold IPAs are the new Brut IPAs.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Partycat posted:

Since someone else is over there - what’s your thoughts on Other Half?

On one hand if you’re into hop forward NEIPA and you want to go full Nelson then they’ve got it. On the other hand there are 25 options at the tap room with many of them just indiscernible.

I want to like them but I’m just not finding much excitement to try new releases.

I feel like they actually only make 5 beers and its all an inside joke when people rave over one versus another and they're actually the same beer. Sort of like the joke when somoene drinks an NA and thinks they're drunk.

Their beers are fine but honestly, I only buy their stuff based on the ABV. anything over 6.5 is a pass for me. I enjoy their pilsners and other lagers but their stouts are trash.

Mortalis, in my opinion, started out great but really leaned in hard on the fruit and stupid adjuncts in EVERYTHING. That novelty got old fast. Plus they've been having infection problems recently but their homers still back said infected beers like they're gifts from god. On top of that, other than maybe once they dont post publicly when they find out one of their beers have been infected and will give a redund for the beer. They offer refunds I guess but only if you know enough to contact them, which I think is hosed up.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 8, 2021

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sporkstand posted:

lol remember brut IPAs?

Remember Belgian IPAs?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Remember IPAs?

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Speaking of IPAs...I see that Sierra Nevada is releasing this year's Celebration in cans. Unfortunately, they're only 12oz and not the far superior 16oz, but I'll take what I can get

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I got started on Belgians (not IPA) , particularly the Unibroue ones. After way to much of them and Hennepin I don’t think I want another Belgian ale ever again.

I agree on Other Half, just afraid to out myself as having an inferior tongue or something. I think their beers are so similar that it’s just not reasonable to distinguish them - at least for me - and come back for more.

Mortalis , well , I like the Hydra. The peanut butter porter and their stouts were pretty good. I know it al was a fad for a bit but I still like it juxtaposed to endless IPAs so whatever. I didn’t realize their having control issues, and yeah if I waited for three hours to buy a crowler of ruined beer - only to have the brewery pretend like it was a fluke - I’d be pretty pissed. That’s lame.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sporkstand posted:

Speaking of IPAs...I see that Sierra Nevada is releasing this year's Celebration in cans. Unfortunately, they're only 12oz and not the far superior 16oz, but I'll take what I can get

This is a bad take. 16 oz cans are great for trying singles of beers you’ve never had before but for a beer like Celebration, you should be buying at least a 12 pack. And 12 packs of 12 oz cans is the ultimate beer package.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

God I hope my local Costco is going to sell cases of Celebration this year :pray:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Celebration is one of those beers where I’m like “oh awesome Celebration time already!” And I buy a 12 then am like “yep that was alright, see ya in a year.”

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is Jean still hanging around Tired Hands nowadays? Anybody know if anything actually changed after employee's wrote that letter earlier this year?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Gay Retard posted:

Is Jean still hanging around Tired Hands nowadays? Anybody know if anything actually changed after employee's wrote that letter earlier this year?

He stepped down from active leadership afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Mahoning posted:

This is a bad take. 16 oz cans are great for trying singles of beers you’ve never had before but for a beer like Celebration, you should be buying at least a 12 pack. And 12 packs of 12 oz cans is the ultimate beer package.

I'm sorry sir but you are wrong. All of my beer glasses hold at least 16oz and a mere 12oz can doesn't even come close to filling that up. More space = more beer