Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Harold's home. He's uh, still squatting where he shouldn't but unlike before, now there is pee! So improvement. He's on gabapentin and another drug for his crystals temporarily, and pilling a cat is a nightmare from which there is no relief. Vet said as long as he's passing urine he should be okay, so we're gonna give it a few days and keep a close eye on him to make sure he's actually going. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kitfox88 posted:

Harold's home. He's uh, still squatting where he shouldn't but unlike before, now there is pee! So improvement. He's on gabapentin and another drug for his crystals temporarily, and pilling a cat is a nightmare from which there is no relief. Vet said as long as he's passing urine he should be okay, so we're gonna give it a few days and keep a close eye on him to make sure he's actually going. :toot:

I wish you kitty the best, but definitely keep an eye on him, and be ready for this to happen again.

Long story short, my cat Max had recurring crystal blockages in his urethra, despite going to a strict wet C/D diet, and us buying a fountain. After the second episode, the doctor recommended a Perineal Urethrostomy. That was 12 years ago or so and he's been fine ever since He's about 15 now, and I think he's had only 1 bladder infection since the procedure. It was expensive, I think it was about 2 grand (12 years ago), but it was a permanent fix.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, we're uh, not sure what we're gonna do if it ends up a recurring thing. We're doing what we can and hoping for the best, but, if it becomes an 'every few months' it's either uh, put him up with a family that can afford to get him the treatment he needs to live happily or, well. Yeah. :smithicide:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of anyone ever having success getting an adult cat used to riding in a car? Or have tips? We have one that adores going outside on her leash and it'd be nice to develop her into more of an adventure cat.

Going into it my plan was to drive her to a small local park and see if the reward of going on a walk would help her tolerance. But it only made her more scared of approaching the car, and ifs turned into a case where car rides more than ten minutes have her start panting/hyperventilating because she get too wound up.

So everything's on hold until I figure out another approach. The best I got is to let her into the garage and explore the car on her own terms and see if that helps.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of anyone ever having success getting an adult cat used to riding in a car? Or have tips? We have one that adores going outside on her leash and it'd be nice to develop her into more of an adventure cat.

Going into it my plan was to drive her to a small local park and see if the reward of going on a walk would help her tolerance. But it only made her more scared of approaching the car, and ifs turned into a case where car rides more than ten minutes have her start panting/hyperventilating because she get too wound up.

So everything's on hold until I figure out another approach. The best I got is to let her into the garage and explore the car on her own terms and see if that helps.

Put her in a carrier to take her to the park. You seriously do not want a frightened cat running around free inside your car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Put her in a carrier to take her to the park. You seriously do not want a frightened cat running around free inside your car.

She does it in the carrier! I'm not a monster.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Is she comfortable in the carrier itself? If she's fine in the carrier then all you can do is ride around in the car, feed her treats while she's in the car, and stop when she gets too distressed (drive around the block or something.) If she does better on subsequent trips then try to stretch it slowly until you get the desired trip length. A blanket thrown on the carrier so it's dark might also help.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Had him for 4 years now and Bootsy is still just as much of a toddler. :kimchi:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

xzzy posted:

She does it in the carrier! I'm not a monster.

If you haven't tried it yet, you could cover the carrier with a blanket so it's dark and non draughty inside. Some cats stay calmer that way.
(My cat hates cars too, but I solved that by taking a bike / bus ride instead)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Had him for 4 years now and Bootsy is still just as much of a toddler. :kimchi:

Holy poo poo, what charisma

edit: Harold is in love with the slicker brush I got from chewy, it arrived yesterday and the fountain's arriving today. He's being his normal affection seeking self and grooming and eating his wet food, though also a bit more sluggish, but since he's on a painkiller and drug for his bladder at the moment I'm not too worried about that. He also having pee dribbles but it's not like he's squatting and trying, they're just happening.

edit2 taking him back to the vet so they can check
edit3 or not, truck's dead and none of the starters are working. other than the leaking he seems fine like i said

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 8, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Tilly's confidence seems to be growing daily. Today she was letting me stroke her - she likes scritches behind the neck best. She is purring so much now

Her name is Tilly but I call her "skitters" on account of she skitters around the place like a little spider

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Katya got neutered today and got out of his cone already. It's back on now but it took me a shamefully long time to get it on again and I had call the vet up. Little guy is definitely starting to feel it though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Abby was a master of getting out of the cone too, the vet gave us an infant onesie to wrap her in which kind of helped but she got out of that too.

The best solution we came up with was a harness that was for dog, not cats. The material was stiff enough she couldn't flex to get at the sutures. She was miserable the whole time but got through it.

It was a daily ritual to take all that stuff off her to let her groom while at the same time keep her from the sutures. Seemed to help.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So Lychee and I are having a problem, I'm going to be trying a few things to solve this but thinking someone might have some better insight into cat psychology than me here.

We moved to a new apartment maybe a month or so ago. When we moved in we set up Lychee's litterbox in the bathroom and everything seemed fine. Overall this apartment is probably better for her, there are more places to jump around and all that, and she didn't have a problem with it at first. If it matters, Lychee is a bengal, so her temperament can be a little different from other cats.

The other day I caught Lychee peeing in my clothes hamper. She was acting like the dirty clothes were sand and trying to cover up her pee by clawing at the clothes, I don't think this is the first time she's done this, just the first time I caught her. Today, she pooped on a yoga mat in the corner. The bathroom is completely open for her, her litterbox is clean, I haven't changed the litter brand or anything so it's not like she couldn't have gone in there. One possible explanation I'm thinking of is that the bathroom is an Asian bathroom. There isn't exactly a shower, just a showerhead and a drain in the floor. The whole bathroom can get pretty wet. The other day I was taking a shower, I keep the door cracked in case she wants to come in. She poked her head in but was nervous to actually step in where the floor was wet, it took her a while before she really carefully ran to the litterbox to pee.

I'm also worried she might just be mad at me because I wont let her outside the apartment when she wants, with this apartment the washing machine and stuff is outside the actual apartment on a covered balcony. When we first moved in she went out there with us when we did the laundry and she seemed to really like it out there. Now sometimes she'll whine at the door and want to go out, but it'll be at times I cant be out there with her.

What I'm gonna do today is clean out her litter box really well and then move it out of the bathroom into the hallway, see how that works. But, anyone got any other ideas? I've had tons of cats before but none of them were really peeing on my clothes or pooping on my yoga mat.

Edit: Also if it matters, Lychee is a very needy cat. By far the neediest I've ever had. Most of my cats before were Himalayans and they didn't give a gently caress, but Lychee absolutely demands attention and will throw a fit when either I or my fiancée go to work. I have summers off so she got a couple months of me always being home. So there's also that possibility that this is her acting out for more attention, but we give her as much attention as humanly possible, I make sure she gets her exercise every day, she eats well. I thought, maybe getting a 2nd cat would help with that, but it'd have to be another bengal. I cant think of another breed that would really get along well with her otherwise. And even then, that sounds risky, like that could backfire.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 9, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrainDance posted:

So Lychee and I are having a problem, I'm going to be trying a few things to solve this but thinking someone might have some better insight into cat psychology than me here.

We moved to a new apartment maybe a month or so ago. When we moved in we set up Lychee's litterbox in the bathroom and everything seemed fine. Overall this apartment is probably better for her, there are more places to jump around and all that, and she didn't have a problem with it at first. If it matters, Lychee is a bengal, so her temperament can be a little different from other cats.

The other day I caught Lychee peeing in my clothes hamper. She was acting like the dirty clothes were sand and trying to cover up her pee by clawing at the clothes, I don't think this is the first time she's done this, just the first time I caught her. Today, she pooped on a yoga mat in the corner. The bathroom is completely open for her, her litterbox is clean, I haven't changed the litter brand or anything so it's not like she couldn't have gone in there. One possible explanation I'm thinking of is that the bathroom is an Asian bathroom. There isn't exactly a shower, just a showerhead and a drain in the floor. The whole bathroom can get pretty wet. The other day I was taking a shower, I keep the door cracked in case she wants to come in. She poked her head in but was nervous to actually step in where the floor was wet, it took her a while before she really carefully ran to the litterbox to pee.

I'm also worried she might just be mad at me because I wont let her outside the apartment when she wants, with this apartment the washing machine and stuff is outside the actual apartment on a covered balcony. When we first moved in she went out there with us when we did the laundry and she seemed to really like it out there. Now sometimes she'll whine at the door and want to go out, but it'll be at times I cant be out there with her.

What I'm gonna do today is clean out her litter box really well and then move it out of the bathroom into the hallway, see how that works. But, anyone got any other ideas? I've had tons of cats before but none of them were really peeing on my clothes or pooping on my yoga mat.

Sorry I don't have anything super useful to add but wanted to mention I wish Quill would be afraid of water/wet floors, it's really hard to keep her out of the tub. We've had to move the litter outside of the bathroom specifically so we can leave that door closed so she doesn't go stand in the tub (we're worried about her licking at the puddles in case there's soap etc in there).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The first thing you should always try is more litter boxes spread out through the house.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Some cats really like peeing on dirty laundry, and the only way to prevent this is keeping laundry out of places they can get to. But I dunno about the Yoga mat. It does sort of sound like she's not super pleased with the bathroom if the floor being wet is an issue. Moving the box was a good idea.

I'll add make sure you've got an enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's miracle) or the spot will still smell like pee to her and she'll continue to pee wherever she went originally. Cat noses are way better than ours, regular soaps won't convince her.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cats don't pee/crap places to act out or express displeasure, they have plenty of other ways of doing that. I don't think they make any connection between where they pee and making their person unhappy or getting attention, as opposed to say chewing on things or making noise to get you to respond. There's something wrong with the setup that she doesn't like, or she's in pain. Probably the first one given that you already know the floor is often wet and she doesn't like the wet floor.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Cats don't pee/crap places to act out or express displeasure, they have plenty of other ways of doing that

I beg to differ on this. 100% clean litterbox (which is her biggest trigger), Princess has crapped on our bed because my wife is out of town, out of the house, or out of the room. She'll also pee and poop on the bed if the box is too dirty to her prissy little brain.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

D34THROW posted:

I beg to differ on this. 100% clean litterbox (which is her biggest trigger), Princess has crapped on our bed because my wife is out of town, out of the house, or out of the room. She'll also pee and poop on the bed if the box is too dirty to her prissy little brain.

Yes, but that's because she doesn't want to go in a dirty litterbox so she's going somewhere soft and nice, or because she's stressed. It's not out of anger or naughtiness. Cats don't have a concept of punishment.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Organza Quiz posted:

Cats don't pee/crap places to act out or express displeasure, they have plenty of other ways of doing that.
After owning cats for many, many years- I'm gonna disagree with this. Like you said cats have plenty of ways for expressing displeasure but believe me pissing and pooping out of place is DEFINITELY among their options for showing you how unhappy they are. I've had more than one vet confirm this after I had one particular cat that was very moody.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 9, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My cat seems to be doing the door thing but its with me going to bed. She'll meow and demand for attention for hours until I go to bed, then she'll sit on top of me for a few minutes and then when she thinks I went to sleep will get off and wander around the house. :crossarms:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You disagree with a lot of vets on this one. If a cat's peeing in the wrong place, the questions are "is the litter box clean, has anything major changed in the household, is the cat sick in some way."

As personal evidence, one of my new kittens pooped in the laundry once. I returned to the litter we had been using (I'd changed to crystal), and she hasn't done it since.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Yes, but that's because she doesn't want to go in a dirty litterbox so she's going somewhere soft and nice, or because she's stressed. It's not out of anger or naughtiness. Cats don't have a concept of punishment.

As I said, she has expressed displeasure with my wife's absence from our bedroom, on multiple occasions with a freshly changed litterbox, with a steaming pile near my wife's pillow. I know that a dirty box can upset them - I'm not talking about with a dirty box in the first case.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My particularly moody cat doesn't like freshly cleaned litterboxes (like washed out and new litter), I imagine because it smells different? So I stagger the cleanings of each because otherwise he will tromp around the house yelling what I imagine are threats about putting everything back or else

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Katya peed on the bed a couple of times until we got a second litter box, hers was cleaned twice a day plus she was checked by the vet. Never happened again. v:shobon:v

otoh, my co-worker got back from holiday and one of their cats immediately pissed in their opened suitcase, that feels petty af.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hawkperson posted:

My particularly moody cat doesn't like freshly cleaned litterboxes (like washed out and new litter), I imagine because it smells different? So I stagger the cleanings of each because otherwise he will tromp around the house yelling what I imagine are threats about putting everything back or else

One of our cats gets this way so we leave like one corner of the box unattended to until the next clean out just to retain some sort of comfort for her. Other cat doesn’t care either way though.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

My vet has me putting Cherestin on my cats every 3 weeks. My girlfriend did the last application 2 weeks ago and I don't think she did it correctly (I think she just squirted it on their hair) because they're acting like they missed a dose and have fleas again. Think it's safe for me to dose them again a week early?

Also, looking for automatic feeder recommendations? They told me I need to put the fat one on a diet before he gets diabetes. He's a grazer so I need something that can split ~5/8 of a cup into 3 or 4 drops a day. I'm currently feeding them twice a day and he is not happy with it at all. Preferably something sub-$100 since I'm going to have to buy them both one.

Hawkperson posted:

Mine will howl while digging in the clean litterbox, making me freak out and think he's got another urinary blockage. Then he finally does his business and I breathe a sigh of relief.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Mine decides he needs to pee the moment I start cleaning the litter tray. I have to prepare one in advance like it's a kids' TV show otherwise he will squat and let rip wherever.

The first cat I ever fostered did a wee on the carpet at the foot of the stairs, and now every single foster cat I've had since has done the exact same thing. I've scrubbed it with every specialist cleaning product but it must still smell. Ripping it up and replacing it with tiles is on my to-do list.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I suspect agitating the litter as you replace it causes the attractant to get put into the air, it's like when you walk into a public bathroom and you suddenly have to pee because it has that smell.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Lady Demelza posted:

Mine decides he needs to pee the moment I start cleaning the litter tray. I have to prepare one in advance like it's a kids' TV show otherwise he will squat and let rip wherever

Lol, my cat does this too. When I scoop the box she's curious, but when I actually change the whole litter she's in immediately doing her business. As far as I know there's no attractant in our litter, but maybe it is the smell that reminds her it's toilet time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

We have 4 cats and a grand total of 6 litter boxes in our house, including 1 in the corner of my closet. I don't know WHAT I did to deserve this, but the litter box in my bedroom has become the most popular litter box in the house :smith: Not only do all 3 out of the 4 cats make a point of peeing in it every day, but it seems to get more poop than any other litter box in the house. Lucky me!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

pidan posted:

Lol, my cat does this too. When I scoop the box she's curious, but when I actually change the whole litter she's in immediately doing her business. As far as I know there's no attractant in our litter, but maybe it is the smell that reminds her it's toilet time.

Lychee used to do this too. I'd wait until she was just hanging out not doing much and quick go to change and scrub down the litter box. She immediately got up to go poop on the bed. My fiancée kept delaying getting her fixed because "she's so young," then she started going into heat and with that came her pooping and peeing everywhere.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I don't know where else to ask this. I'm a dumbass and accidentally left the SSScat sitting on top of the toaster oven while I warmed something up. Fortunately, it did not explode. Is it still safe to have around, or should I get rid of the canister?

I was thinking about getting rid of it anyway - the kittens set it off once or twice and have shown zero interest in jumping on the kitchen counter since then, while I forget about it every morning and get hissed at as I stumble into the kitchen to make coffee.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BrainDance posted:

If it matters, Lychee is a bengal, so her temperament can be a little different from other cats.
<snip>
Edit: Also if it matters, Lychee is a very needy cat. By far the neediest I've ever had. Most of my cats before were Himalayans and they didn't give a gently caress, but Lychee absolutely demands attention and will throw a fit when either I or my fiancée go to work. I have summers off so she got a couple months of me always being home. So there's also that possibility that this is her acting out for more attention, but we give her as much attention as humanly possible, I make sure she gets her exercise every day, she eats well. I thought, maybe getting a 2nd cat would help with that, but it'd have to be another bengal. I cant think of another breed that would really get along well with her otherwise. And even then, that sounds risky, like that could backfire.

I hardly know anything about Bengals, but even I’m aware they are one of the most social of cat breeds. I’m surprised your breeder didn’t tell you all this, most Bengals would be adopted as pairs to give them someone to be with. I would do a lot of research before more time passes.

In the short term, since you already know Lychee doesn’t like damp floors, move the littler box somewhere that won’t be an issue.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

pidan posted:

I was changing the box the other day and elder Boots was in there as I turned my back to put the empty box in the recycling pile. Already burying his pee by the time I was looking at him and chuckling.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Esme posted:

I don't know where else to ask this. I'm a dumbass and accidentally left the SSScat sitting on top of the toaster oven while I warmed something up. Fortunately, it did not explode. Is it still safe to have around, or should I get rid of the canister?

I was thinking about getting rid of it anyway - the kittens set it off once or twice and have shown zero interest in jumping on the kitchen counter since then, while I forget about it every morning and get hissed at as I stumble into the kitchen to make coffee.
I doubt a toaster has anywhere near the heat necessary to compromise a metal canister that is built to keep within a high amount of air pressure, and if it's on the casing and not actually baking under the heating element then even less so.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

EoRaptor posted:

I hardly know anything about Bengals, but even I’m aware they are one of the most social of cat breeds. I’m surprised your breeder didn’t tell you all this, most Bengals would be adopted as pairs to give them someone to be with. I would do a lot of research before more time passes.

In the short term, since you already know Lychee doesn’t like damp floors, move the littler box somewhere that won’t be an issue.

I'm aware, the breeder died before she was born which is how we ended up with her, the last of the litter in a family that really didn't want to have bengal kittens anymore (though the breeder's daughter still has Lychee's mother and is starting to change her mind about "no more kittens." She's a family friend of my fiancée, so we've gotten to visit the mother a few times.)

If she does decide to continue breeding bengals it's probably likely Lychee will get a buddy, but otherwise I don't really like to get kittens from breeders I don't know personally and bengals aren't the world's most common breed. We've thought about trying to introduce an abyssinian, but introducing a kitten is very different than just getting them together and Lychee is more uncomfortable/aggressive with other cats than any other cat I've had (might be biased by just how little himalayans give a gently caress about anything.)

It's not that Lychee is an aggressive cat or anything, at least not with us or other people. It's just that the temperament of the breed means introducing a new kitten is something I'd want to do very carefully, and I'd be more worried about it not going well than I would be introducing a kitten to a bunch of lazy himalayans, not even just possible aggression but their temperaments not matching.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

vet called my cat fat and now I'm sad

any tips for a cat that could stand to lose half a pound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Any recommendations for a treat puzzle dispenser? Something we could load up a small handful of dry treats and it would take her some time to get them out to get some mental stimulation before bed.