Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Drakyn posted:

Oh hey was this you too? Around age 8-10 I was trying to read Laurence Yep's Dragon of the Lost Sea series and was similarly bamboozled by this dragon-but-no-dragons titling.
Dude, I'm pretty sure that's the book I read in elementary that I couldn't remember the name of forever. I just remember a kid and a dragon walking across a salt desert.
You are correct! They were quite good, from what I remember - even if the very first book I managed to read in the series was also the final one. Not exactly the first time I'd made that mistake anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

the coolest part is there's all this depth and history just out of sight, and absolutely none of it matters. it gets brought up by people when its important, but even then they frequently just refer to it and everyone nods in understanding. i normally hate this kind of anti-exposition but done like this it's amazing and I wonder how I read anything else

This conversation has made me way more interested in the Commonweal books, that sort of "I'm going to drop you into an alien culture and you get to figure it out yourself, I don't have to exposit poo poo" writing is very much my jam.

a friendly penguin posted:

That's not how Cloud Library works... Or it isn't how it has to be. They have apps for Apple, Android and Kindle Fire. So unless you're using an e-ink kindle, really shouldn't be a serious issue. But agreed, Cloud Library is one of the worst options and not just for the readers. It sucks for the libraries too.

I have a Kobo, which is an e-ink device. It's very hackable, but as far as I know no-one has written an unofficial CloudLibrary client for it and god knows there's no official one; the instructions for "e-ink devices" involve doing something to connect Adobe software to your e-reader, and then downloading a thing on your windows computer that in turn lets you download the real book via Adobe and then sideload it over USB.

Reading books on a phone or a tablet is for emergencies only.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Are there any e-ink readers that are small? I have a kindle paperwhite that I never read because it's too big, so I just do the app on my phone but I would prefer an ereader.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sibling of TB posted:

Are there any e-ink readers that are small? I have a kindle paperwhite that I never read because it's too big, so I just do the app on my phone but I would prefer an ereader.

We have an e-reader megathread over in IYG that might be more help

That said, how small is small? The smallest Kobos (the Nia and Clara) are both around 110x160mm, which makes them about the same width and a bit shorter than a mass market paperback. If you want something even smaller -- say, cellphone sized -- I'm not sure it exists; it's definitely not something offered by the big brands (kobo/kindle/nook/etc).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

This conversation has made me way more interested in the Commonweal books, that sort of "I'm going to drop you into an alien culture and you get to figure it out yourself, I don't have to exposit poo poo" writing is very much my jam.

Yeah the first book so far strikes me as if you took a KJ Parker book and mashed it together with a China Mieville series.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
well Graydon, your alt accounts have paid off again. time to figure out how to send this poo poo to my kindle

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

well Graydon, your alt accounts have paid off again. time to figure out how to send this poo poo to my kindle

Calibre makes it pretty easy to convert to .mobi and sideload onto a kindle

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

navyjack posted:

Same here. I got the free preview, read it, immediately bought the full book, read it, and am now on the 2nd. The standard is, as far as I can tell, an incredibly powerful sorcerous artifact that allows a military unit to become something of a gestalt hive-mind and do instant comms, cooperative magical workings, BIND THE DEAD OF THE FALLEN TO SERVICE IF THEY WANT, and stuff like that. It also seems to be an actual dimensional space where the Line-Captain keeps their poo poo.

What follows isn't exactly a spoiler but I've read the series like four times now and poked around the Google group so be warned some details that are in later books may be involved:

The Standard is a magical force multiplier plus an artifact that contains the patterns for many spells that would be difficult for Independents to perform outside their specialty. Just prior to the founding of the Commonweal the wizard Laurel discovered that you could get more power out of a consensus group working than the sum of its parts. In the bad old days, subjugating weaker or less experienced sorcerers was a typical way to enhance your power as a sorcerer. Still happens outside the Commonweal. The total ends up being less than the sum of its parts, in that case.

Most Independents aren't as strong as a full Standard, and a battalion could hope to take on the strongest, although they might not survive it.

This next part is a small spoiler regarding one function of the Standard.

The binding of the dead to the Standard is consensual. It's mostly a way of making sure the job gets done, because the dead can still contribute their talent to the full push. Once deployment is over, all but the most dutiful dead are released to their rest.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 7, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But is it still also a flag that someone has to hold? Or it's just a concept in the ether somewhere?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ccs posted:

But is it still also a flag that someone has to hold? Or it's just a concept in the ether somewhere?

It’s also still a physical object. (One of the later books suggests it could be mistaken for a javelin if one was in a hurry so I get the impression it’s just a big stick without any flag, in terms of its existence as a physical object.)

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Ccs posted:

Yeah like the poster above suggests, it's like a big staff or pike, usually with a battle flag I think. Larger formations also have artifacts called pennants, which i think are like standards for an officer or reconnaissance corps.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

a friendly penguin posted:

Nope, changeable by each individual reader at each individual checkout: https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6008.htm

But I guess it's possible the library has limited these options. I've never seen a library do that but possible.

Thanks, I never noticed that setting but similar to what others said, the default for me is also the max (14 days). Which is generally fine: if I don’t read something in 14 days, I’m not going to read it in 21.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

eke out posted:

if you survived the jump from Black Company to Anarcho-Syndicalist Wizard School between books 1 and 2, you're definitely over the biggest hump in terms of difficulty learning what the gently caress is going on in the world, everything becomes gradually more clear at that point

also [book 3+ spoilers] book 2 really does work well in retrospect because seeing them all as students and very fallible humans (well, human-ish creatures) is a good contrast to the absolutely terrifying god-wizard-polycule-hivemind they become

Too bad book two and three are loving boring and tedious. It is a rare day when I give up on a book, but book three hit that sweet spot.

Oh, and book one is not worse than any other generic fantasy in terms of not explaining everything. I mean, GeneWolfe says hi.
I did actually enjoy the first book, except the end which was just weird.

Oh, and mission accomplished, I guess :v:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

eke out posted:

if you survived the jump from Black Company to Anarcho-Syndicalist Wizard School between books 1 and 2, you're definitely over the biggest hump in terms of difficulty learning what the gently caress is going on in the world, everything becomes gradually more clear at that point

i faltered on that step and bailed
loved the first one but the second was like entering a fugue state or a deep fog
bounced pretty hard and didn't look back

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

cj cherryh is also good at the "lol no explanations you'll have to figure it out yourself" kind of story

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Doctor Jeep posted:

cj cherryh is also good at the "lol no explanations you'll have to figure it out yourself" kind of story

When I first got into her works I always had to brace myself through the first hundred pages, and then the immersion therapy was over and they were fast, fascinating reads.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ccs posted:

Yeah the first book so far strikes me as if you took a KJ Parker book and mashed it together with a China Mieville series.

I hate both those authors though :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doctor Jeep posted:

That's one of the things I like about her writing and I do feel like the Foreigner series is more expositional than her earlier work, to its detriment

But yeah when people were talking up that aspect of the Commonweal books my first thought was "oh, like Cherryh?"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Doctor Jeep posted:

loved the first one but the second was like entering a fugue state or a deep fog

love that series but can't blame anyone for being turned off by it, there's a lot of civil engineering lol

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Doctor Jeep posted:

Four and five move back towards something significantly closer to the first book, fwiw.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Drakyn posted:

Oh hey was this you too? Around age 8-10 I was trying to read Laurence Yep's Dragon of the Lost Sea series and was similarly bamboozled by this dragon-but-no-dragons titling.

Oh my god, yes! It was Dragon's Gate! I've never been able to remember the title off hand, but that's definitely it!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

dilapidated rural California. Now to be fair they might have actually acquired real ebook tech in the last 5 years that isn't weird, proprietary, or literally just a license to give people file copies (but not over the internet), but I haven't heard of it. the computers in the main library haven't changed since I was old enough to use them, anyway. they still have 1024x768 LCD panels from 2000 lol.

If you live in California you have access to a shitload of library’s digital cards. Many libraries offer cards to any California resident, not just residents of their town. Especially with COVID there are tons of places where you don’t even need to go in person, like the ones listed below.

Berkeley:
https://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/library/your-card

San Jose:
https://www.sjpl.org/membership

Oakland:
https://oaklandlibrary.org/online-services

Santa Cruz:
https://www.santacruzpl.org/services/detail/32/

Santa Ana:
http://www.santa-ana.org/library/get-library-card

Whittier:
https://www.whittierlibrary.org/elibrary/temporary-digital-library-card

Alameda County (by mail):
https://aclibrary.org/faq/library-accounts/#faq_415680

One of the libraries on these lists surely allows cards to all residents, so just check a few and you can get cards for the Northern and Southern California digital libraries:
https://ncdl.overdrive.com/support/card

https://scdl.overdrive.com/support/card

So basically if you live in California you should be able to have like ~7 library cards linked to your Libby account no matter where you live and be able to borrow a ton of stuff easily. You can get a chrome extension which syncs with Libby and can check if any libraries have a book if you go to it’s Amazon page, or just search on the app. Would highly recommend taking like half an hour to set it up!

(Also, the same is true of a lot of other states to varying degrees.)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

well Graydon, your alt accounts have paid off again. time to figure out how to send this poo poo to my kobo

(it's also calibre)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

DurianGray posted:

Oh my god, yes! It was Dragon's Gate! I've never been able to remember the title off hand, but that's definitely it!
No problem, and I'm now hoping the karmic feedback from this lets me finally rediscover the name of a children's book* I read when I was 4-6ish.

*No illustrations, probably not much over or under a hundred pages, some ?siblings? on holiday at a ?cottage? ?on an island? with their ?aunt and uncle? and they find weird scavenger-hunt clues left around the island by the older relatives' ?brother? who was some sort of weird hermit back in the day. I think one clue partway through was in a hollowed-out tree in the middle of the woods and the one thing I know for SURE is that the entire chain of hints ends up leading them to the recluse's secret room hidden in the house itself.
it is neither science fiction nor fantasy

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 8, 2021

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Sounds like maybe a boxcar kids novel.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I read some of those years later and didn't make any connection, but it very well could be - that's the problem with the damned thing; it was so early on that I have very, very limited memories of reading it and the ones I DO have are garbled due to being a psychopathic little alien gremlin at the time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm 90% sure on the boxcar kids thing. It's sort of hard to tell cuz if I remember right most of them had a structure like that. Come to think of it every kids book I read that was a sort-of-mystery feels pretty interchangable in retrospect. Then again maybe I just can't remember what I read 20 years ago very well.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
The siblings with the aunt and uncle is what makes me think boxcar kids. There are definitely many structural similarities but the siblings plus aunt and uncle was the unusual part.

Edit: is it The Lighthouse Mystery?

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 8, 2021

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

tildes posted:

If you live in California you have access to a shitload of library’s digital cards. Many libraries offer cards to any California resident, not just residents of their town. Especially with COVID there are tons of places where you don’t even need to go in person, like the ones listed below.

Berkeley:
https://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/library/your-card

San Jose:
https://www.sjpl.org/membership

Oakland:
https://oaklandlibrary.org/online-services

Santa Cruz:
https://www.santacruzpl.org/services/detail/32/

Santa Ana:
http://www.santa-ana.org/library/get-library-card

Whittier:
https://www.whittierlibrary.org/elibrary/temporary-digital-library-card

Alameda County (by mail):
https://aclibrary.org/faq/library-accounts/#faq_415680

One of the libraries on these lists surely allows cards to all residents, so just check a few and you can get cards for the Northern and Southern California digital libraries:
https://ncdl.overdrive.com/support/card

https://scdl.overdrive.com/support/card

So basically if you live in California you should be able to have like ~7 library cards linked to your Libby account no matter where you live and be able to borrow a ton of stuff easily. You can get a chrome extension which syncs with Libby and can check if any libraries have a book if you go to it’s Amazon page, or just search on the app. Would highly recommend taking like half an hour to set it up!

(Also, the same is true of a lot of other states to varying degrees.)

Awesome, thanks for this! :3:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Danhenge posted:

The siblings with the aunt and uncle is what makes me think boxcar kids. There are definitely many structural similarities but the siblings plus aunt and uncle was the unusual part.

Edit: is it The Lighthouse Mystery?
Afraid not - I actually checked a lot of synopses after you guys brought them up and although nothing quite seemed to fit, at the very least I can definitely confirm there were no lighthouses or plankton-researchingmaniacs. And for the record, anything I put in ? ?s was a detail that could be something different than what I recall it being because. You know. Tiny brain careening off the walls of fiction for the first time.

Also in looking this stuff up I rediscovered that the boxcar children's grandfather was like 40x more obscenely rich than I recalled him being so the series is technically fantasy after book 1, it's just the fantasy of 'oh what a lovely house grandfather' 'haha yes, shall i buy it for us?' 'please!' 'very well, onto the pile with it!'

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
There's a dedicated book identifying thread (all genres) if you want to get more eyes on it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Drakyn posted:

*No illustrations, probably not much over or under a hundred pages, some ?siblings? on holiday at a ?cottage? ?on an island? with their ?aunt and uncle? and they find weird scavenger-hunt clues left around the island by the older relatives' ?brother? who was some sort of weird hermit back in the day. I think one clue partway through was in a hollowed-out tree in the middle of the woods and the one thing I know for SURE is that the entire chain of hints ends up leading them to the recluse's secret room hidden in the house itself.

Not Elizabeth Enright's Spiderweb for Two, is it?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Drakyn posted:

No problem, and I'm now hoping the karmic feedback from this lets me finally rediscover the name of a children's book* I read when I was 4-6ish.

Reminds me of 'gone away lake' but the secret spot is a whole town in a bog, not a secret room

##edit also Elizabeth Enright##

branedotorg fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 8, 2021

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hobnob posted:

There's a dedicated book identifying thread (all genres) if you want to get more eyes on it.
Thank you, I've done so.

Gone-away-Lake I read some years later when my brain was fully operational. I don't THINK it's 'Spiderweb for Two' either, based on what I've read. Apologies for the offtopicking.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's not like we were talking about something more important

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Yea, this basically.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So I love science fiction and fantasy but don’t have a ton of free time anymore and fell off reading hard about ten years ago.

I have been tiptoeing back in and read and fell in love with the writing style of The Name of the Wind even though I have some issues with the story and Kvothe. The prose and flow of the book absolutely recaptured that middle school reading zone I haven’t had in 25 years. I read the first book in about a day, it just flew by. Can’t say I enjoyed the second quite as much but the writing style was still phenomenal.

Are there any recommendations for I guess it’d be easy to read and flowing books in the genres? Some of my past faves have been, Rendezvous with Rama, The Martian, Hitchhiker Guide, Enders Game. I haven’t read a ton of recent stuff besides Ready Player One which was fine. Sanderson was recommend to me once but his library seemed slightly daunting.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Susanna Clarke. If you need a short book, Piranesi. If you’re okay with a door stopper, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Thinking about Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson again. I believe that it would have been less contrived if the colonization attempt had been made unviable by the extremely unsuitable day/night cycle rather than a deadly disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

Susanna Clarke. If you need a short book, Piranesi. If you’re okay with a door stopper, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Alternate approach: read both, they are good.