Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mushroom surprise
Oct 11, 2012

Pan ribeye with chimichurri and watermelon feta salad

Salad is a riff on a NYT "Greek" watermelon salad recipe. First time with it and highly recommend. Basically some variation of this stuff in a bowl:

e: image links lol

mushroom surprise fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

feedmegin posted:

Had a couple of people over for grilling last night - both goons (plus one's girlfriend), so technically this was :gooncamp: I guess? Middle eastern theme.

Made by me: tzatziki (yes I know it's Greek, shurrup, they were part of the Ottoman empire ok), chicken and beef shish tawouk (a lot more than you see on the table there, though), tabbouleh, quick pickled cucumber and onions, a margarita.
Made by another goon: red pepper hummus.
Also starring: toum, lettuce, veggies, Uncle Ben's finest rice, olives, sujuk.
Sir not appearing in this photo because I forgot: pitas and falafel.

Hi! I've made shish tawouk three times since you've posted, and each time it just gets loving better. So, I wanted to thank you for posting this. Yum, loving, yum.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mushroom surprise posted:

Pan ribeye with chimichurri and watermelon feta salad

Salad is a riff on a NYT "Greek" watermelon salad recipe. First time with it and highly recommend. Basically some variation of this stuff in a bowl:

e: image links lol

salad looks like rear end.

bet it tasted incredible, especially with the steak

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Was my 10th wedding anniversary last night, so we went to a 2* down the road for dinner. I’m too well brought up to photograph food in a restaurant, so you’ll have to make do with the menu (which you only get to see with the bill).

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
So like what.. 20 bucks?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Perhaps a little more. Wild time though!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So wait-do you go in blind and just have the server explain things as they bring them, and then at the end they present a bill with a summary of the menu?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

nwin posted:

So wait-do you go in blind and just have the server explain things as they bring them, and then at the end they present a bill with a summary of the menu?

Pretty much exactly. I could have spent a bit less money (and time) and had 7 courses instead of 10. I know something about wine so I picked my own, but they provide pairings if you want to leave everything up to them. I had no idea what I was going to eat until it was put in front of me (and in some cases not even then, until one of the staff explained it). The menu at the end was just a handy souvenir.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Torquemada posted:

Pretty much exactly. I could have spent a bit less money (and time) and had 7 courses instead of 10. I know something about wine so I picked my own, but they provide pairings if you want to leave everything up to them. I had no idea what I was going to eat until it was put in front of me (and in some cases not even then, until one of the staff explained it). The menu at the end was just a handy souvenir.

That looks like a lovely menu and a wonderful experience. Happy anniversary, and good job not taking pictures.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jhet posted:

That looks like a lovely menu and a wonderful experience. Happy anniversary, and good job not taking pictures.

Thanks, much appreciated! I consider myself a fairly good cook, so menus like that are good for keeping me humble: I could have, given weeks and their kitchen, fabricated maybe four things from that menu.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
roasted cherry tomato and miso spaghetti after I saw it on kenji's Instagram

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Ratatouille

Mabon Decorations

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

large hands posted:

roasted cherry tomato and miso spaghetti after I saw it on kenji's Instagram

Nice presentation!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Sous Videodrome posted:

Nice presentation!

Thanks, you gotta love modern cell phone cameras

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tempura?

Tempura!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Spaghetti and clams with a sopressata, beer & butter broth topped with half crab.

Plating is a work in progress for me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pork chops and kale

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Spaghetti and clams with a sopressata, beer & butter broth topped with half crab.

Plating is a work in progress for me.

'work in progress'

drat, that looks beautiful, and I would gladly destroy that... seafood is my weakness.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
everything bagel sausage rolls

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

large hands posted:

everything bagel sausage rolls

Yes please.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Was my 10th wedding anniversary last night, so we went to a 2* down the road for dinner. I’m too well brought up to photograph food in a restaurant, so you’ll have to make do with the menu (which you only get to see with the bill).

This menu looks awesome, but I'm most curious about what "stout cup" is.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fartington Butts posted:

This menu looks awesome, but I'm most curious about what "stout cup" is.

This was the least memorable of the 4 snacks actually, vastly overshadowed by the taleggio donut with truffle and mushrooms. A small fragile pastry cup somehow made with dehydrated beer filled with beer foam lovage and peas.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Man, duxelles really makes food look... less than photogenic, doesn't it?

Passata base pasta sauce with duxelles as a meat substitute:

With Elicoidali 38 penne/rigatoni:

The taste is aces though.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mister Facetious posted:

Man, duxelles really makes food look... less than photogenic, doesn't it?

Passata base pasta sauce with duxelles as a meat substitute:

With Elicoidali 38 penne/rigatoni:

The taste is aces though.

just looked up duxelles and it sounds awesome.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Made some cider battered chicken tonight, from Chef John's video earlier in the week. Turned out pretty good and a really good batter. Although maybe because of the self rising flour vs the normal all purpose beer batter I have been doing...

Next time I will add some seasoning to the cider batter itself so all the crispy bits have more flavor... Also I hosed up and forgot to turn the heat off so the corn oil probably won't be reusable now :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LifeSunDeath posted:

just looked up duxelles and it sounds awesome.

If you have a food processor it's a great way to use up a bunch of mushrooms if they're a day from turning inedible.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tempura bought round 2, cooking soon!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Grilled turkey burgers with Brie and avocado.

Yes, there is another half of bun under the jungle of lettuce. Also, haven’t made potato salad since last summer and almost forgot how drat easy it is to make.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress yeah fried things

Venison backstrap w/ mushroom gravy and chili-maple glazed carrots

Kenji's pan pizza in a sheet pan instead of cast iron. Pepperoni, mushroom, and pickled jalapeno

Pan-roasted pork chop w/ roasted onion/bourbon/apple gravy and charred green beans

Tomato egg stir fry with probably close to the last of peak season tomatoes

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I had to leave the table.

Fried cheese is a delicious mistake.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I made Pasta alla Genovese (with the sauce cooked for a good 8 hours) today. I was too lazy to take a picture but it was tasty, as it has been every other time I've made it.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Bad plating, bad pic, and I think the meat was a touch under.

But it tasted good so gently caress it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made my first French chicken and veg in home made cream sauce and took a photo and it looked loving disgusting.

Still tasted nice though.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
welcome to smashburgh

bacon and cheddar smash patties, mayo, American cheese x2, cherry tomatoes from my garden, relish, mustard, toasted onion roll

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I’m figuring out the air fryer oven I got from Costco so I have made:

Street corn.

Hot wings.
(Drumettes purchased from the local Korean market, dry brined in the fridge and tossed in a combo of 70% Red Rooster Hot sauce and 30% Seed Rance Umami Reserve Hot Sauce. )
Literally the best hot wings I’ve had since 2019.

I am satisfied.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Tomato egg drop soup and Sichuan style shaobing

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

We now enter frittata season.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Join the lunch club!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chicken piccata and spinach artichoke ravioli anyone?