Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You're right, Harro is a bad translation. It's Haro :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gaius Marius posted:

Bright is 19

Yeah, lot of people kind of forget that Bright is just as much out of his depth and pant-shittingly terrified as Amuro is.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0004 - Escape From Luna II

Ok seriously, I get why the intro talking about the setting is cool but I'm bummed that the satellite/base crashing scene won't have the same impact. :v:

Wahkain and Bright Noah chat and I swear Wahkain is legit phoning in his lines. Also, Noah's ark, saving the remnants of Site 7? Wahkain sounds so drat evil, too.

loving Dhalsim over here just manspreading 20 feet out. Is Kai voiced by Seth Green? He sounds like Seth Green doing a high-pitched voice.

Really glad Capt. Paulo is willing to take responsibility for the security breach, not like he's going to be alive for much longer anyways.

Oh hell yeah, Axe vs Katana duel. Also, Amuro casually pulls out the second lightsaber and kills a Zaku and there's not a single line for it? The hell?

Amuro wondering, again, what kind of man is Char. Needs more "Stupid Sexy Char" with a Zaku butt in the shot.

I choose to believe Bright thought the Capt. was still alive when he made his promise at the end of the episode.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ibblebibble posted:

You're right, Harro is a bad translation. It's Haro :eng101:

gently caress, owned again. :argh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0005 - Re-entry to Earth

Can you fix it? Can you fix it? Can you fix it?

Is one of the voice actors in this episode Wolverine? Or am I thinking of Beast, from the animated X-men series?

drat Char has evolved to use HEAT rounds. Cool shot though...

Awww man that guy who gets vulcan cannoned :(. What a suddenly depressing scene.

Krohm you goddamn idiot. Cool death scene.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah, lot of people kind of forget that Bright is just as much out of his depth and pant-shittingly terrified as Amuro is.

The Origin really leans into that, even if Bright's older in it.

Bright has to pretend to know what he's doing, and that makes him act like much more of an rear end in a top hat, especially early on.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I gotta say Burning to death is up there with drowning and crucifixion on the ways I don't want to die scale, every episode with it has this palpable sense of horror that most scenes in gundam don't quite capture.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wha?

E: oh right

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I am of course referring to the Zeeks Burning merc'd in 0083

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I gotta say Burning to death is up there with drowning and crucifixion on the ways I don't want to die scale, every episode with it has this palpable sense of horror that most scenes in gundam don't quite capture.

Gundam has a proud tradition of horrifying re-entry battles. I think Iron Blooded Orphans has the coolest one, but it's a rare Gundam show that doesn't have someone dying horribly when returning to Earth's gravity.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Gundam has a proud tradition of horrifying re-entry battles. I think Iron Blooded Orphans has the coolest one, but it's a rare Gundam show that doesn't have someone dying horribly when returning to Earth's gravity.

Turn A didn't at least. That said, it's worth the honorable mention to Yanny, who nailed himself into a barrel, got the crew to throw him out the airlock and planned to fall into the atmosphere because he (a) was drunk and (b) had no idea how space worked. He nearly asphyxiated after only a few minutes, and would have been dead long before he hit atmosphere, but he would have burned up eventually and it'd have been horrible regardless. Cancer and Kafka of the Red Team are implied to have died of asphyxiation after drifting away from a battle in a wrecked Flat too. Which has to be pretty horrible. They faced it like champs, breaking out the bubbly and dumplings or something to have one least feast and celebrate winning before they died, but they still probably died regardless. Turn A is generally a nice enough show it's possible they repaired the unit and managed to thrust themselves back to the Moon or maintain control while entering the atmosphere or something though, if you wanted to headcanon otherwise.

Actually, what series DO have re-entry battles at all? I don't remember any for G, X or Turn A at the least, and while Destiny, 00, AGE and G-Reco probably do have them, I don't recall specifics off-hand.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 7, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Turn A didn't at least. That said, it's worth the honorable mention to Yanny, who nailed himself into a barrel, got the crew to throw him out the airlock and planned to fall into the atmosphere because he (a) was drunk and (b) had no idea how space worked. He nearly asphyxiated after only a few minutes, and would have been dead long before he hit atmosphere, but he would have burned up eventually and it'd have been horrible regardless. Cancer and Kafka of the Red Team are implied to have died of asphyxiation after drifting away from a battle in a wrecked Flat too. Which has to be pretty horrible. They faced it like champs, breaking out the bubbly and dumplings or something to have one least feast and celebrate winning before they died, but they still probably died regardless. Turn A is generally a nice enough show it's possible they repaired the unit and managed to thrust themselves back to the Moon or maintain control while entering the atmosphere or something though, if you wanted to headcanon otherwise.

Actually, what series DO have re-entry battles at all? I don't remember any for G, X or Turn A at the least, and while Destiny, 00, AGE and G-Reco probably do have them, I don't recall specifics off-hand.

You might actually be right that ones without are a majority. Off the top of my head, 0079, Zeta, ZZ, SEED, and Iron Blooded Orphans all have them. Probably at least a couple more I'm not thinking of.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Destiny had the whole Junius-7 attempted drop as its re-entry sequence. The Minerva firing multiple shots to break it up while Shin and Athrun fight off the Zala loyalists was actually good and exciting, and probably the early peak of the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unicorn gas a re-entry battle.

Char's Counterattack is about a battle to stop a big re-entry.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

Char's Counterattack is about a battle to stop a big re-entry.

Same with the ending of Wing.

Off-hand, 0080 and F91 definitely don’t have re-entry battles. 0083 doesn’t but has the colony drop stuff that’s related. 08th MS has the simulated Apsalas attack on Jaburo and the final episode has those Zeon kids being sent back to Earth, so those kinda-maybe count?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Didn't Wing in fact start with a re-entry battle?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

No. No machine gun for him.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ibblebibble posted:

The Wing Gundam is already in the upper atmosphere by time they see it, and is just in the sky by time they engage. So I would say no, they've already gone through re-entry by time that fight starts.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was thinking of that as Wing's atmospheric battle too, personally. Which is why I named the show's around Wing, like G and X as not having any but didn't include Wing. If you don't include that, then does Wing have any? I wouldn't count the finale moment personally, since it's just Heero chasing some debris into the atmosphere rather than fighting anyone in the atmosphere.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

tsob posted:

I was thinking of that as Wing's atmospheric battle too, personally. Which is why I named the show's around Wing, like G and X as not having any but didn't include Wing. If you don't include that, then does Wing have any? I wouldn't count the finale moment personally, since it's just Heero chasing some debris into the atmosphere rather than fighting anyone in the atmosphere.

Do we think that Wing Zero vs Altron in Endless Waltz Counts for the franchise? They start in space and finish on earth after a re-entry.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Do we think that Wing Zero vs Altron in Endless Waltz Counts for the franchise? They start in space and finish on earth after a re-entry.

Not sure. We see them start to enter the atmosphere while still engaged, but when we next cut back we see them cutting parachutes/emerging from their wing binders respectively. I'd infer they didn't do much fighting during reentry, but I think it counts.

edit: Like, in Unicorn, SEED, and Destiny, significant portions of the fight take place while the mobile suits are experiencing shock heating. Banana trying to geek Frontal and getting Gilboa instead, Kira fighting the Duel and Yzak committing warcrimes, and the whole fight on the colony PLANT as it breaks up. (Yzak notably DID NOT commit warcrimes that time.)

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 7, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

For all Seed/Destiny's faults, Yzak mellowing out a bit and realizing how bad he hosed up after getting bailed out at Space Nuremburg was one of the better plot points of Destiny.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The opening act of Destiny is actually good which makes its stunning turn to poo poo even more hurtful. Those first 12 or 13 episodes are kinda compelling, but then nope we gotta start suckin that Kira dick and it all goes to poo poo. Destiny would have been better if Kira never showed up or if he did never piloted an MS.

Destiny wants you to think people learned things, but in reality they did not and can only make the most incompetently foolish choices to further the plot going over the cliff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, I remember the forum quite liking the first dozen or more episodes of Destiny, and was personally really enjoying it and even enjoyed Kira's return to action in and of itself since the music and action were pretty fun. Then I mostly remember finding the next stretch kind of dull. Enough so that while I was downloading every episode as it came out, I stopped watching them after 5 or 6 more episodes and then realized a while later that I'd downloaded 10 or more episodes that I'd never bothered to watch. At which point I just deleted them, because I hadn't seen anyone say anything good about the show in a while. I've still never seen past the mid-teens of the show, and have no desire to do so given everything I've heard about the rest of it.

That said, I do find it fun to go back and find those early posts about Destiny every now and again and see everyone who saw the first episode immediately peg Durandal as a villain for various reasons (shifty eyes, Char's VA, seems to have some hand in the armory attack etc) and then to compare that to posts in places like /m/ where people will go "no, but Durandal did nothing wrong for 40ish episodes and Murosawa hosed up and realized he was too good and hand to shoehorn in the Destiny plan last minute to make everyone agree he was bad". Like, Murosawa is a pretty terrible writer from what little experience I have of her, but she seems to have a preference for making villains come off as pretty decent for 40 episodes and then heel turning them all at once for the last stretch of the show, and Rau was basically the same thing. He spent most of the show either minding his own business or being mysterious, and it's only when he meets Kira and Mwu in the lab that he goes off the deep end. It was obvious everything prior was leading up to that though, and even in episode one it's pretty clear that Durandal is more than he seems and the show isn't shy to lay some pretty clear track in that regard even in the first quarter with the attack on Lacus, Meer's existence etc.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The opening act of Destiny is actually good which makes its stunning turn to poo poo even more hurtful. Those first 12 or 13 episodes are kinda compelling, but then nope we gotta start suckin that Kira dick and it all goes to poo poo. Destiny would have been better if Kira never showed up or if he did never piloted an MS.

Destiny wants you to think people learned things, but in reality they did not and can only make the most incompetently foolish choices to further the plot going over the cliff.

the only way to enjoy destiny is to play super robot wars z and get the alternate route that completely changes destiny's story

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Warmachine posted:

and the whole fight on the colony PLANT as it breaks up. (Yzak notably DID NOT commit warcrimes that time.)

The impromptu Le Creuset team reunion is extremely good. All in Zakus and immediately slapping the poo poo out of the Extendeds as soon as they try it on, before Shin even gets a chance to assist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Yeah, I remember the forum quite liking the first dozen or more episodes of Destiny, and was personally really enjoying it and even enjoyed Kira's return to action in and of itself since the music and action were pretty fun. Then I mostly remember finding the next stretch kind of dull. Enough so that while I was downloading every episode as it came out, I stopped watching them after 5 or 6 more episodes and then realized a while later that I'd downloaded 10 or more episodes that I'd never bothered to watch. At which point I just deleted them, because I hadn't seen anyone say anything good about the show in a while. I've still never seen past the mid-teens of the show, and have no desire to do so given everything I've heard about the rest of it.

That said, I do find it fun to go back and find those early posts about Destiny every now and again and see everyone who saw the first episode immediately peg Durandal as a villain for various reasons (shifty eyes, Char's VA, seems to have some hand in the armory attack etc) and then to compare that to posts in places like /m/ where people will go "no, but Durandal did nothing wrong for 40ish episodes and Murosawa hosed up and realized he was too good and hand to shoehorn in the Destiny plan last minute to make everyone agree he was bad". Like, Murosawa is a pretty terrible writer from what little experience I have of her, but she seems to have a preference for making villains come off as pretty decent for 40 episodes and then heel turning them all at once for the last stretch of the show, and Rau was basically the same thing. He spent most of the show either minding his own business or being mysterious, and it's only when he meets Kira and Mwu in the lab that he goes off the deep end. It was obvious everything prior was leading up to that though, and even in episode one it's pretty clear that Durandal is more than he seems and the show isn't shy to lay some pretty clear track in that regard even in the first quarter with the attack on Lacus, Meer's existence etc.

/m's got some pretty stupid arguments that are widely accepted, but I think there's a bit of an angle that means the two arguments aren't entirely contradictory.

Durandal is obviously shady from the start, but he's also seemingly been right. When there's an argument with one of the heroes, they can't make a coherent counterargument, he has an excuse for whatever happens, and in general, he could be a villain who's working his own angle, on the up and up despite some questionable calls, or somewhere in the middle. Then, when the show switches to Kira as the protagonist (timing that makes people less inclined to be charitable even when the specific incident is perfectly fine in the narrative.) he's doing the most obvious villain stuff, like plotting to kill Athrun when he goes "Uh, some of this is seeming a little suspicious.", probably sending kill teams after Lacus, and so on.

Durandal is using villain shorthand from the jump, but sometimes shorthand is a way for a show to put the viewer on the wrong track. (IBO has multiple examples). Since the switchover is in part of the show where the writing is already getting worse, the audience is liable to start criticizing even if, in a better story, they'd just go "Figures. I was waiting for the shoe to drop here anyway."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Durandal being morally ambiguous is more interesting, I think that's why a lot of /m/en leaped on it. gently caress Athrun is also a serial traitor, with ties to the previous PLANT government and to the Three Ships Alliance traitors, I'd want him either under my thumb or gone too if I was in his shoes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Durandal being morally ambiguous is more interesting, I think that's why a lot of /m/en leaped on it. gently caress Athrun is also a serial traitor, with ties to the previous PLANT government and to the Three Ships Alliance traitors, I'd want him either under my thumb or gone too if I was in his shoes

Nah, I think the show telling the genetically-engineered ubermensch control freak to take his coordinator-man's burden and stick it was fine. What Destiny really needed to balance it out was more cool, sympathetic Naturals rather than just Cagalli being useless, Mu being an amnesiac war criminal, and everyone else being a screeching horde of bloodthirsty, incompetent racist fanatics.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, I think the show telling the genetically-engineered ubermensch control freak to take his coordinator-man's burden and stick it was fine. What Destiny really needed to balance it out was more cool, sympathetic Naturals rather than just Cagalli being useless, Mu being an amnesiac war criminal, and everyone else being a screeching horde of bloodthirsty, incompetent racist fanatics.
I don't think that's possible given the setting

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

There's also Murrue. I guess.

But yeah, one of the things about SEED's Earth Alliance is that they're both really villainous and really incompetent. Even if you want to make an argument about it being realistic, it's bad TV, because it means the heroes aren't challenged in any interesting ways.

I think Stargazer did a better job with things. One of the leads for the first episode was an ex-Earth Alliance tank commander, and his old buddies were shown sympathetically. Even the main antagonist of the show, a Blue Cosmos ace, had his tragic backstory get focus even aside from him showing no particular enthusiasm for the racist party line, unlike his buddies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0006 - Garma Strikes

Leave my husbando alone, Garma. Core Fighter Pilot asks to not load any duds, as if that was a choice.

"Let's send the Gun-tank so we don't have to rely on Amuro too much!" -Sends Amuro as the Guntank pilot. :psyduck:

"I'll look foolish if I ask for the plan now, guess I should've expected Bright to fill in more details" Way too relatable. I hate this.

These Magellan tanks are dumb as hell.

Jesus loving Christ I just watched a Gundam do an action roll. :negative:

When the edibles finally kick in

Oh yeah that giant Zeon carrier totally landed in a town without an airport.

Zeon's are terrible, they stole Char's butt. Also the shower scene makes it look like his right arm was horribly burned, but he is fine stepping out into the living room? What gives?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the show never actually explains what is up with the helmet and pseudonym. here it is, if you were curious: the real char aznable had red eyes and a striking resemblance to casval. real char died, casval took his identity and started wearing a weird helmet to hide his eyes. he's not actually scarred in any way at this point.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0007 - The Core Fighter's Escape

Kai is a troll, when do we get to vent him?

God drat Minovsky particles always particling the radars and weapons and thing.

Why is their amazing plan to shuttle out the only Gundam pilot they have?

VENT KAI VENT KAI VENT KAI awwww Bright isn't redeemed.

Please let us off in the middle of the desert with my baby boy so that we may achieve the one most human tragedy of them all... DINGOS ATE MY BABY!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the show never actually explains what is up with the helmet and pseudonym. here it is, if you were curious:

Does it get explained in a later series and/or movie?

Edit: Also, I figure the helmet is probably just a visual identifier that is unique to Char and reminiscent of old Shogun/Samurai helmets

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

VENT KAI VENT KAI VENT KAI awwww Bright isn't redeemed.

Disliking the Immortal Captain is one thing, but failing to properly appreciate Kai Shiden? That's a sure sign of a soul bound by gravity if there ever was one.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I mean, his backstory and why he'd try to hide his identity comes up in the original show, but the whole bit in spoilers only was added to the plot in a later manga adaptation of the show which had a flashback arc that was adapted into a series of OVAs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is shown in gundam the origin, which is part prequel and part alternate continuity. that's quite a ways down the road, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's explained in the Origin, a manga retelling of the original series. It should be noted that it is canon to that version specifically, there's nothing that says it is canon any other version, including the original show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Gotcha. Thanks :) I'll check it out after the series runs its course