Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

"Yep, your word against mine. And the full confession of my crime that's part of the editorial Ed Crankshaft is reading out of your newspaper as a framing device."

"Institutional Memory: The information held in employees' personal recollections and experiences that provides an understanding of the history and culture of an organization, especially the stories that explain the reasons behind certain decisions or procedures." or ""the stored knowledge within the organization."

I submit a thought exercise to anyone else reading this logical train wreck: what organizational knowledge would a small town midwest American local newspaper have to offer to a giant cartoonishly evil and rich megacorporation? Anybody? Was the secret to dissolving The Sentinel in the most profitable manner possible linked to knowledge that Patty in HR likes to bake cookies whenever there is a birthday in the office? Maybe that Bob's son works in the printing room, or that everybody is polite and tolerant of the days Jim the janitor comes in hung over, though bless him he's started attending those AA meetings at last. Maybe Moneyman needs to know about the office pissing match over the best parking spots, the quid pro quo the last owner of the Sentinel got with local business owners, or that Skip spends his own personal money to get the real nice coffee for the break room.

Who cares? And why would that be committed to a hard drive anyway? Aren't they intentionally shutting down the business? Does he really think a megacorp is struggling to figure out the financials of a small newspaper office? They've already fired everybody but Skip or pressured them out. The building might as well have the power and water turned off to try and make Skip quit of his own free wi-OH he just did, making Moneyman's job even easier. WHAT THE gently caress IS THE GAIN by this asinine power play!?

Just screaming gently caress YOU from the rooftops here. Also not going to entertain that Skip knows how to sabotage computer data without leaving a trail whether he actually tries to scrub the hard drive properly or his dumbass just pulls it out and beats it with a bat. Also he just made the highly irregular move of going to Evil Banking Financial HQ multiple states away from his home for a conspicuous meeting and I think by definition the Evil Rich Corporation can afford some real jackass lawyers. Skip you already forfeited any retirement benefits you'd get from the newspaper job, I'm sure these guys can bleed you even drier.

The only reason I can imagine that Skip shot himself in the foot this hard is that Batiuk is this incompetent he wanted his pairs of limbs to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "304 - Jucika At Last Heats Up!"

"305 - Jucika Doesn't Do Spring"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Doomykins posted:

I've heard the term "Cute and sexy" thrown around over the years but nothing has ever seemed to actually fit the label in my head until Jucika.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Poil posted:

Since when is she a cheerleader?
How is her waist the same thickness as the fridge door?

Same answer to both questions.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

It seems likely this one was drawn directly from actual experience.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doomykins posted:

I admire this strip's ability to be both horny and surprisingly wholesome at the same time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hornsome? wholery?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Holy poo poo!

speeding violation

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang November 20, 1929

Smack continues to rule.

And I can't believe, unless I missed a day, Crankshaft didn't take the opportunity to make a "One does not simply walk into Mordor Financial" joke

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I do like how this strip keeps giving away the creators' values except in a much different way from what they probably intend. For instance: it's okay and desired for teenage girls to be cheerleaders but they must dress modestly in their own free time. There are absolute layers of interpretation to be had in this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: trouble's a-brewing (December 15-21, 2003)

First appearance: Rachel Einhorn.

"Einhorn" means "one horn" in German and there shall be absolutely zero Ace Ventura jokes about it.

Rachel's a nice gal, I like her. Also, I can appreciate "If you wanna live as a herbivore you gotta know when to run" because with a slight modification it's wisdom to live by, even in the real world.

Modern Kevin & Kell

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

lol what

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

I'm sure the new kid's a right good laugh once you get to know him.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days August 9, 1956

Dad gay, so wow!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Doomykins posted:

"Institutional Memory: The information held in employees' personal recollections and experiences that provides an understanding of the history and culture of an organization, especially the stories that explain the reasons behind certain decisions or procedures." or ""the stored knowledge within the organization."

I submit a thought exercise to anyone else reading this logical train wreck: what organizational knowledge would a small town midwest American local newspaper have to offer to a giant cartoonishly evil and rich megacorporation? Anybody? Was the secret to dissolving The Sentinel in the most profitable manner possible linked to knowledge that Patty in HR likes to bake cookies whenever there is a birthday in the office? Maybe that Bob's son works in the printing room, or that everybody is polite and tolerant of the days Jim the janitor comes in hung over, though bless him he's started attending those AA meetings at last. Maybe Moneyman needs to know about the office pissing match over the best parking spots, the quid pro quo the last owner of the Sentinel got with local business owners, or that Skip spends his own personal money to get the real nice coffee for the break room.

Who cares? And why would that be committed to a hard drive anyway? Aren't they intentionally shutting down the business? Does he really think a megacorp is struggling to figure out the financials of a small newspaper office? They've already fired everybody but Skip or pressured them out. The building might as well have the power and water turned off to try and make Skip quit of his own free wi-OH he just did, making Moneyman's job even easier. WHAT THE gently caress IS THE GAIN by this asinine power play!?

Just screaming gently caress YOU from the rooftops here. Also not going to entertain that Skip knows how to sabotage computer data without leaving a trail whether he actually tries to scrub the hard drive properly or his dumbass just pulls it out and beats it with a bat. Also he just made the highly irregular move of going to Evil Banking Financial HQ multiple states away from his home for a conspicuous meeting and I think by definition the Evil Rich Corporation can afford some real jackass lawyers. Skip you already forfeited any retirement benefits you'd get from the newspaper job, I'm sure these guys can bleed you even drier.

The only reason I can imagine that Skip shot himself in the foot this hard is that Batiuk is this incompetent he wanted his pairs of limbs to match.

I feel like the actually "revolutionary " action wouldn't be to destroy the hard drives but to upload them to the internet archive or something to keep the history of the newspaper and its articles free from corporate control. But he'd rather burn it down just like the suits want, than actually try to save it. Is there anything Batuik writes about that he actually understands?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

e: this is just a parsnip with eyes and ears, huh

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 8, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 9, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 9, 2000)

Garfield Classic (January 9, 1990)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (January 9, 2010)

You little devil ;)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kavak posted:

I've heard the term "Cute and sexy" thrown around over the years but nothing has ever seemed to actually fit the label in my head until Jucika.

It is a horny on main that is acceptable.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/7/01

Brenda Starr 5/11/47

Smokey Stover 10/3/43

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 8, 2021

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

not even a response, this is just the dad translating

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

kidcoelacanth posted:

not even a response, this is just the dad translating

"Ba ba ba."
"Huh? What about the walls?"

"Ba ba ba."
"Why would they have different names?"

"Ba ba ba."
"Yes, I know they face each other. What of it?"

"Ba ba ba."
"Oh. Right. Like the floor and ceiling. I see."

There, I fixed it. Took me literally two minutes of thinking.

Daddy Daze's complete lack of imagination for dialogue is seriously aggravating.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

Is Foster keeping Aleta's bump somewhat hidden for reasons of 'Surprise, it's time for BABY!' drama, or was it a thing in the papers of the time to not show a pregnant woman, like on TV in the 50s when there was a lot of hiding behind potted plants and the like?

And thank you so much, Medenmath, for posting vintage Valiant! I would never have seen these otherwise!

It's definitely not a secret that she's pregnant, so it might be a bit of the latter. I can't help but notice that her mid-to-late pregnancy happens to be timed to be in the middle of winter right after the Indians gave her a big heavy coat to wear. Anyway it won't matter for much longer, as I'm sure you can tell from today's strip.

And you're welcome, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 24, 1947)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Slammy posted:

And He Did! October 10, 1918

OK, let's see. This is the Zimmermann Telegram, where the government of Germany, in a desperate bid to derail the US from sending troops to Europe, tried to recruit Mexico on their side. They courted Mexico's favor by promising that they would back their claims on former Mexican territories lost to the United States in wars in return for Mexico invading the US from the south, ie. "winked at her".

The telegram was intercepted, leaked and published in US newspapers, enraging the country and helping sway the formerly isolationist population towards sending troops to Europe. Of course the cartoonist is kind of playing down the consequences as they were much more serious than a "black eye" but maybe that's coming in a future comic.

E:

here is the telegram, which they sent through American controlled telegram networks for reasons that are at best unclear but probably made sense to a bunch of real geniuses back in the day.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 8, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like Val's face in the second to late panel. "She kicked me out. Me, Prince Val!" And his dudes can only offer support.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Medenmath posted:

It's definitely not a secret that she's pregnant, so it might be a bit of the latter. I can't help but notice that her mid-to-late pregnancy happens to be timed to be in the middle of winter right after the Indians gave her a big heavy coat to wear. Anyway it won't matter for much longer, as I'm sure you can tell from today's strip.

And you're welcome, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 24, 1947)

I'm worried about Tillicum, I think the natives want the child of the Blonde Goddess for themselves. :ohdear:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

...those last 3 panels, including the confused thoughts from the crucifix :drat:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Wait, her name is Tillicum? That's Chinook. That's west coast trading jargon. That's not a name. And it's the wrong part of the world, aaaarrrgh.

(it means family and it was my childhood dog's formal name, though in practice we only ever called her Tilly. But a name for a dog is not necessarily a name for a person.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Historical inaccuracy in a comic about one of King Arthur's knights who fights dragons and wizards?

:v:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News ohhhh its a halloween story.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Historical inaccuracy in a comic about one of King Arthur's knights who fights dragons and wizards?

:v:

Well, it's less "historical inaccuracy" and more "appropriating a word from one culture in order to give your writing about another culture more weight, because you don't differentiate between them even though, in practice, they were very different."

It's a thing that, uh, has not aged well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

RoboRodent posted:

Wait, her name is Tillicum? That's Chinook. That's west coast trading jargon. That's not a name. And it's the wrong part of the world, aaaarrrgh.

(it means family and it was my childhood dog's formal name, though in practice we only ever called her Tilly. But a name for a dog is not necessarily a name for a person.)

For the 1930s/40s, and for a comic chiefly aimed at children & young adults, this is an unusually sensitive portrayal of First Nations. I'm willing to give Hal Foster a pass on the historical inaccuracies that few, if any at the time of publication could have picked up. He clearly did his research, and on a 1-week deadline, I'm impressed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RoboRodent posted:

Well, it's less "historical inaccuracy" and more "appropriating a word from one culture in order to give your writing about another culture more weight, because you don't differentiate between them even though, in practice, they were very different."

It's a thing that, uh, has not aged well.

This is all very true, but it could well have been a well meaning error. At least they did SOME research. Definitely problematic and interesting and I thank you for pointing it out so we could learn something! I certainly wasn't trying to downplay a real concern

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm sure the new kid's a right good laugh once you get to know him.

Yes...a...right...good...laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It's definitely worth at least an eyeroll, though I'll admit research was a lot harder in 1946 than it is now.

Chinook jargon in general is just kind of a neat thing that I like! It was a trading pidgin/creole language used by a number of different tribes in the Pacific northwest, though at its most widespread it was used from Alaska all the way down to northern California. In the latter days of its use, it also incorporated a lot of French and some English.

"Tillicum" isn't a super unusual word to crop up in this part of the world, because Chinook was such an important part of the history and people like to name things (streets, animals, boats) using Chinook words occasionally. We called our dog Tilly because she was a border collie mix from working dog stock at a local cattle farm called Tillicum farm. Here's another I occasionally hear people use in normal conversation: "skookum." It means strong/great.